Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain: Texans’ special-teams play anything but special

McClain's article evaluates the team's ST........criticisms focused on player performance with a smattering of isolated compliments.........But glaringly absent is Marciano's obvious contribution to a ST game that has significantly been changed by the NFL and has "left him in the dust."

Special Teams: Texans Concerned
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McClain: Texans’ special-teams play anything but special

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
... glaringly absent is Marciano's obvious contribution to a ST game that has significantly been changed by the NFL and has "left him in the dust."
McLame.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #3
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What an incredibly clever play on words. McClain, show me your ways!
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #4
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Our teams are "special"..

(short-bus special)

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McLame.
In all fairness to McClain, I wouldn't expect him to come out and point-blank say that Marciano should be fired.

If you read the story carefully between the lines, it's clear that Kubiak is not pleased. And, if things get SO bad on ST that they have to sub in our starters, I can't imagine that Marciano would keep his job.

Kubiak is saying all the right words about "we'll sub-in if we have to! we're all one team! Rah-Rah!" But the truth is, if it gets to that point, that means ST is in full melt-down mode, and that is not good.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
In all fairness to McClain, I wouldn't expect him to come out and point-blank say that Marciano should be fired.

If you read the story carefully between the lines, it's clear that Kubiak is not pleased. And, if things get SO bad on ST that they have to sub in our starters, I can't imagine that Marciano would keep his job.

Kubiak is saying all the right words about "we'll sub-in if we have to! we're all one team! Rah-Rah!" But the truth is, if it gets to that point, that means ST is in full melt-down mode, and that is not good.
There have always been some starters on the ST coverage teams. I haven't checked recently but Casey, Quin, and Barwin have played on the coverage teams over the past couple of years.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There have always been some starters on the ST coverage teams. I haven't checked recently but Casey, Quin, and Barwin have played on the coverage teams over the past couple of years.
True. Still, I can't see Marciano staying if this continues being a problem.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2012   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
McClain's article evaluates the team's ST........criticisms focused on player performance with a smattering of isolated compliments.........But glaringly absent is Marciano's obvious contribution to a ST game that has significantly been changed by the NFL and has "left him in the dust."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chronicle
They waived Holliday and turned to rookie receiver Keshawn Martin, who’s averaging 20.5 yards on kickoff returns and 5.6 on punt returns.

“That’s something we really spent a lot of time on with Joe,” Kubiak said about his longtime special-teams coach. “We’re going to start from scratch when we come back from the break. We’ve got to get it improved. Hopefully, we do some things that can help us out.”
That's about as damning a quote as your gonna get from Kubes in the middle of a season, and for McClain to add anything to it would serve no purpose (nobody pays any attention to McClain's conjecture or opinion anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And nobody's said there weren't and aren't, but Kubiak specifically said that backups should be your top special teams players (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and mentioned Walter and Reed as players who would be inserted if necessary (with the clear undertone that he didn't want it to be necessary). I'd say if we see either or both of those guys playing ST's, it's a pretty clear signal that 2012 is Coach Joe's swan song as Texans ST coach.
Old 10-25-2012   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
That's about as damning a quote as your gonna get from Kubes in the middle of a season, and for McClain to add anything to it would serve no purpose (nobody pays any attention to McClain's conjecture or opinion anyway).

And nobody's said there weren't and aren't, but Kubiak specifically said that backups should be your top special teams players (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and mentioned Walter and Reed as players who would be inserted if necessary (with the clear undertone that he didn't want it to be necessary). I'd say if we see either or both of those guys playing ST's, it's a pretty clear signal that 2012 is Coach Joe's swan song as Texans ST coach.
Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Thanks for saying it more clear. Kubiak is fairly clearly saying: Yeah, we can do that, if we have to, but, we shouldn't have to.

That's how I read the quotes in this article, and that's how I read his comments over the last few weeks.

Heck, I watched the short video of Kubiak's rah-rah speech in the locker room after the Baltimore game, and he was clear even then.

Paraphrasing, because I don't remember the exact wording:

Kubiak: "Offense, you guys had a heck of a day, you did great."

Then: "Defense, you guys did a great job."

Then: "Special teams, there are still some things we got to work on, but you guys did well, too."

Joe should be scared.
Old 10-25-2012   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Thanks for saying it more clear. Kubiak is fairly clearly saying: Yeah, we can do that, if we have to, but, we shouldn't have to.

That's how I read the quotes in this article, and that's how I read his comments over the last few weeks.

Heck, I watched the short video of Kubiak's rah-rah speech in the locker room after the Baltimore game, and he was clear even then.

Paraphrasing, because I don't remember the exact wording:

Kubiak: "Offense, you guys had a heck of a day, you did great."

Then: "Defense, you guys did a great job."

Then: "Special teams, there are still some things we got to work on, but you guys did well, too."

Joe should be scared.
Coach Joe should be replaced.

I think it's one of those situations where you manage it the best you can for the remainder of this season, hope it doesn't cost you too much, and make a change for the 2013 season.

That said, Coach Joe is one of those guys who you root for, and while I don't normally like this approach, in his case I wouldn't mind if they "promoted" him to a position where he couldn't do any damage (or at least gave him that option).
Old 10-25-2012   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully special teams is not the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs when teams are often equally matched. We cannot afford to have the last ranked ST unit if we really consider this a potential Super Bowl team.
Old 10-25-2012   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Hopefully special teams is not the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs when teams are often equally matched. We cannot afford to have the last ranked ST unit if we really consider this a potential Super Bowl team.
One would hope not...
BUT...
I'd hate to have to make up a TD that poor kick coverage gave away.

Or worse, lose an overtime game because of a kick return against us after we just scored a FG and were looking to Wade's D to shutdown the opposing offense.
Old 10-25-2012   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. Or even something as simple as the difference between a three and out drive that starts at the 40 compared to one that starts at the 15.

You punt from the 15 and it's almost guaranteed field goal range for the receiving team.
Old 10-25-2012   #14
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 487 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

It's true though. Special Teams are a major weakness.
Old 10-25-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I agree with you that Marciano should be replaced. In fact I would have done it last year. But when we start talking about our ST players need to be bolstered by more starters, I have to say that you could put all starters out there, but if those players are given schemes that are determined with a dart board, the results will not be any different.

One last thought. Our ST coverage team has been terrible except on isolated occasion like the Ball play. If we have known this, why then has our kicker not been instructed by Marciano to put it out of the EZ for no return. Starting on the 20 yd line would have been a pleasant gift most of the time.
Old 10-25-2012   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Our teams are "special"..

(short-bus special)

TJ
The short bus is offended by that comparison.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #17
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

NICE!!

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #18
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure they would kick it out of the endzone if they could. Graham just doesn't have the leg. The only time it gets out of the endzone is when they line drive it toward a corner.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Pretty sure they would kick it out of the endzone if they could. Graham just doesn't have the leg. The only time it gets out of the endzone is when they line drive it toward a corner.
That doesn't make sense to me. TC and Pregames, he kicks it out of the middle of the EZ.
Old 10-25-2012   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
A mention of the "short bus" just woke me up a bit.... I know a little about being on the "short bus"............... Signed, Texan_Bill

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read