Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2013   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Daryl Sharpton???

I agree with you Welsh... Do you think that's the reason we haven't brought in a better ILB? because if Sharpton would stay healthy we'd have something?

Surely there's got to be a better LB that's been around the league looking for a home who hasn't been rode hard & put up wet; ala Bradie James & Tim Dobbins...

why haven't we brung in some young guns to compete with Sharpton? Or have we (Mr. Alexander) & Sharpton was the best of the bunch?

What's up with Jasper Brinkley? Is he still looking for a job? Xavier Adibi is still out there.

Like I said, I agree with you Sharpton is a heck of a player, but he's got issues. He's a downhill player, a really good downhill player. Other than that..... eh... then there's the health. Surely there's a better option out there.
Old 06-09-2013   #62
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with you Welsh... Do you think that's the reason we haven't brought in a better ILB? because if Sharpton would stay healthy we'd have something?

Surely there's got to be a better LB that's been around the league looking for a home who hasn't been rode hard & put up wet; ala Bradie James & Tim Dobbins...

why haven't we brung in some young guns to compete with Sharpton? Or have we (Mr. Alexander) & Sharpton was the best of the bunch?

What's up with Jasper Brinkley? Is he still looking for a job? Xavier Adibi is still out there.

Like I said, I agree with you Sharpton is a heck of a player, but he's got issues. He's a downhill player, a really good downhill player. Other than that..... eh... then there's the health. Surely there's a better option out there.
I share your concerns. Adibi is still out there. But he also has had the same problem as Sharpton.......always injured (same as when he was with us). Last year, he was used by the Tacks only on STs. He was playing with a bum knee the last couple of months of the season, but only managed a couple of tackles during the whole season.

Maybe, they're waiting for some players to be release later.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #63
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I share your concerns. Adibi is still out there. But he also has had the same problem as Sharpton.......always injured (same as when he was with us). Last year, he was used by the Tacks only on STs. He was playing with a bum knee the last couple of months of the season, but only managed a couple of tackles during the whole season.

Maybe, they're waiting for some players to be release later.
Wasn't Adibi an OLB? Did he get shifted inside at some point by someone?

Right now, Larry Grant from the Niners is still a possibility but so is Bradie James and Barret Ruud, for that matter. Grant's 28, James is 32, and Ruud is 30. At least James and Ruud know the D. Other than that, we've got the dregs like Mister Alexander and Nading.

And then there's UDFA Ja'Gared Davis from SMU. Exactly.

I think we're seriously looking at Cush, Sharpton, Reed as a sort of odd rotation with Reed probably bouncing inside in certain schemes. I would have put Dobbins in the list but I don't understand why he skipped all the voluntary workouts. That has me worried.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #64
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wasn't Adibi an OLB? Did he get shifted inside at some point by someone?

Right now, Larry Grant from the Niners is still a possibility but so is Bradie James and Barret Ruud, for that matter. Grant's 28, James is 32, and Ruud is 30. At least James and Ruud know the D. Other than that, we've got the dregs like Mister Alexander and Nading.

And then there's UDFA Ja'Gared Davis from SMU. Exactly.

I think we're seriously looking at Cush, Sharpton, Reed as a sort of odd rotation with Reed probably bouncing inside in certain schemes. I would have put Dobbins in the list but I don't understand why he skipped all the voluntary workouts. That has me worried.
Adibi was an ILB throughout college and was a backup ILB for us.

I heard Dobbin's agent being interviewed. He said that Dobbins was building a large home and was his own contractor. Since he is a veteran and has been told that he will play STs and only backup the LB position, he felt that there was no problem missing "voluntary" OTAs in that he knew what was expected of his position. He said that Kubiak knew all of this. Seems like Kubiak may have contributed to this "controversy" by coming across clueless. It bothers me even from especially a STs standpoint. After last years' poor showing, whatever the reason, being STs captain, continuity along with mentoring the others especially the rookies, would have been in order. And with the question marks at LB, ............I don't even think I need to comment..........
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #65
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 222777 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Adibi was an ILB throughout college and was a backup ILB for us.

I heard Dobbin's agent being interviewed. He said that Dobbins was building a large home and was his own contractor. Since he is a veteran and has been told that he will play STs and only backup the LB position, he felt that there was no problem missing "voluntary" OTAs in that he knew what was expected of his position. He said that Kubiak knew all of this. Seems like Kubiak may have contributed to this "controversy" by coming across clueless. It bothers me even from especially a STs standpoint. After last years' poor showing, whatever the reason, being STs captain, continuity along with mentoring the others especially the rookies, would have been in order. And with the question marks at LB, ............I don't even think I need to comment..........
With Brooks Reed being "experimented" at ILB, could it have been that Wadeiak were also thinking of seeing if Dobbins had the chops to step up from ST-only/mainly status to in the ILB rotation? Could it be Dobbins missed an opportunity to be a quasi-starter at ILB??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #66
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
With Brooks Reed being "experimented" at ILB, could it have been that Wadeiak were also thinking of seeing if Dobbins had the chops to step up from ST-only/mainly status to in the ILB rotation? Could it be Dobbins missed an opportunity to be a quasi-starter at ILB??
Just given Sharpton's health issues and Reed's lack of experience at the position, I think Dobbins really made a strategical error here.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #67
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd hazard that they're happy with their top 3/4 at the position, would rather pay rookie minimum than vet minimum given the skill sets they've seen from the likes of James and Ruud, and only see the position as 2 down in our current defensive philosophy meaning that their no.3 Safety is far more important than their 3rd string backup at 2nd ILB.

You can pick up a James or Ruud type of guy off the street in a pinch and have them knowing what they need from the playbook within a couple of weeks.

The Dobbins situation doesn't impress me, its very rare that we see players on our team lacking the most basic level of commitment but Dobbins seems to have used his opportunity to stand still (hopefully) rather than to attempt to progress. Kubes is pretty angry to hang him out to dry so subtly like that I'd guess.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2013   #68
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know. I doubt they've made up their mind.

They still have the option of moving Cushing back to Mike, leaving Reed at Mo & starting Braman at OLB.

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.
I would expect to see Braman starting at SLB and Reed moving inside to start the season. Braman should have a much better grasp of the defense than either Montgomery or Williams. One of those two might have more upside and potential, but they lack the experience. Braman also seems to have the speed and skills to play in space and do ok in coverage.

I've been a Sharpton fan, but he's been injured so dang much I'm having a hard time putting any faith in him to last a whole season. He doesn't seem to get nicked up. He has major injuries when he has them.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #69
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I never thought Sharpton was all that impressive when he was healthy. Maybe it's due to being injured every year, but I saw poor instincts in both the run and pass game.

Either way, if we're counting on Dobbins and Sharpton again....we're in deep doodoo. Been there, done it and didn't like it
Old 06-10-2013   #70
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Personally, I never thought Sharpton was all that impressive when he was healthy. Maybe it's due to being injured every year, but I saw poor instincts in both the run and pass game.

Either way, if we're counting on Dobbins and Sharpton again....we're in deep doodoo. Been there, done it and didn't like it
I thought Sharpton flashed potential when healthy.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #71
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Pretty much my feelings. Maybe Sharpton has something we just haven't seen yet but we've seen so far hasn't been impressive. He is really no different than Dobbins except he can rush a passer better. Coverage wise he actually was worse than Dobbins (who wasn't that great himself) so it's just a big....eh. Hopefully someone can stay healthy this year but this is definitely one shaky bunch.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #72
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I thought Sharpton flashed potential when healthy.
For what it's worth (not much) this was my thought as well. I guess we'll see if he makes it out of TC healthy, and whether they keep him on the final 53.
Old 01-30-2014   #73
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Reverend sharpton was just on the radio and he basically said he doesn't know who the hell this guy is.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #74
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 222777 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Reverend sharpton was just on the radio and he basically said he doesn't know who the hell this guy is.
If that was the interview where Travis Johnson called him over to the 610 booth then I believe that was Rev. Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton. ...?

oooh, 11,000 posts... cool.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #75
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If that was the interview where Travis Johnson called him over to the 610 booth then I believe that was Rev. Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton. ...?

oooh, 11,000 posts... cool.
It was al sharpton.

Travis was messing up calling him Jessie sharpton. Rich corrected him and said al sharpton.

Then he said he got bad info from someone in his ear that al was Daryl's uncle.

I read somewhere else that wasn't even accurate. That he was supposedly his 1st cousins' son.

Anyways he acted like he didn't know who the hell daryl sharpton was.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #76
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which bumps Daryl up a notch in my book.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #77
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was al sharpton.

Travis was messing up calling him Jessie sharpton. Rich corrected him and said al sharpton.

I read somewhere else that wasn't even accurate. That he was supposedly his 1st cousins' son.

In other Sharpton news I heard he pulled a hammy getting up for some chips and salsa while watching the AFC. Championship game, is his expected to miss the Super Bowl viewing party at his neighbors house. He hopes to be ready for the draft party though.
Old 01-30-2014   #78
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was al sharpton.

You've got your facts flip flopped.

Quote:
Houston Texans sideline reporter Rich Lord (Sports Radio 610) interviewed Reverend Jesse Jackson on Radio Row. As they were finishing up the interview, Rich asked him if he had a nephew on the Texans Roster. He was referencing Daryl Sharpton who is related to Al Sharpton which is common knowledge in Houston but what makes it funny, Rich is the Texans Sideline Reporter.
LINK

Note: The audio included in the link makes it clear that it's Jesse Jackson - not Al Sharpton - who is being interviewed.
Old 01-31-2014   #79
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
In other Sharpton news I heard he pulled a hammy getting up for some chips and salsa while watching the AFC. Championship game, is his expected to miss the Super Bowl viewing party at his neighbors house. He hopes to be ready for the draft party though.
still not sure which sharpton we are talking about
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #80
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
still not sure which sharpton we are talking about

Surprisingly, I think it's the Sharpton who only missed the first game of the season and led the team in combined tackles.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read