Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-22-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager

Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager
Quote:
The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Marty Hurney, the team announced Monday morning.

Hurney has been the general manager with the team since 2002, but his seat has become hotter since the 2010 season when the Panthers went 2-14.

From 2002-2009, the Panthers had three playoff appearances, including two NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance. But since 2010, the team has had the fewest wins in the NFL with nine.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager

Cam Newton needs to man up and quit his childish mopey attitude.
Old 10-22-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job? Why was he not fired last year with John Fox?

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job? Why was he not fired last year with Del Rio?
Hurney -- Panthers. Del Rio -- Jaguars.

Over the past 2 seasons, I think the Panthers have the fewest wins of any team. Hurney has been the GM since 2002 and things don't seem to be getting better.

I'm not going to be surprised if Ron Rivera gets canned pretty soon.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Their defense has been horrible for a while and they haven't done a whole lot to fix it. I'd expect the coaching staff to be fired no later than the end of the season.
Old 10-22-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Hurney -- Panthers. Del Rio -- Jaguars.
YEah, that's what I meant. Didn't they just hire Ron Rivera?
Old 10-22-2012   #7
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Something like 80 or 90 million between a full back and two running backs..
Old 10-22-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
& Cam is their leading rusher after 6 games....... wow.
Old 10-22-2012   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
YEah, that's what I meant. Didn't they just hire Ron Rivera?
Last year.
Old 10-22-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Yeah.

Hurney built this team for John Fox's old scheme: pound it with the running backs. When they got rid of Fox and got Rivera, I think they didn't know what they wanted to do offensive scheme-wise.

They've got these two great and talented backs and they never use them. And I think, I could be wrong, but I think their offensive line is a mess now and even if they tried to convert over to more of a run based attack, they'd be screwed.
Old 10-22-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job?
It was intimated that the owner, who had a heart transplant, wants to see a winner before his days are up.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't follow the Panthers but, while the team isn't in disarray, it doesn't seem to have a clear path of where it is headed.

Cam had a sensational rookie campaign, but seeing him at the podium yesterday was.....pathetic. This is the guy you've pretty much pegged as the face of the franchise and he's all..... "man, something's gotta change... I just ain't feeling this"

Quote:
Hurney said the Panthers need a player to step up "and take hold like a Ray Lewis does or a Tom Brady does."

He was asked if quarterback Cam Newton is one of the players that needs to step up.

"I think he's certainly capable. This isn't an indictment on any player. I think leadership in the locker room is one of the most underrated things in this league because the talent level is so even."
Per ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...eam-starts-1-5

To me looks like Hurney was this year's early scapegoat and it things don't pick up fair or not it's likely Ron Rivera can be on the chopping board next.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe ProFootballTalk is already talking about whether Carolina should give up on Cam Newton.

Quote:
When the Panthers hire a new General Manager, he’ll have some tough decisions to make.

The biggest ones will relate to quarterback Cam Newton.

The first: Should the Panthers keep him?

The second, if yes on the first: What will be done to properly support him?
I am not suggesting anything for the Texans but as a theoretical exercise I wonder what Kubiak would design for Cam Newton.
Old 10-22-2012   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I can't believe ProFootballTalk is already talking about whether Carolina should give up on Cam Newton.

I am not suggesting anything for the Texans but as a theoretical exercise I wonder what Kubiak would design for Cam Newton.
Well, I hear he does a great play action on 3rd and 18.

After seeing post-game after post-game with his mopey attitude I wonder what he's like in a private lockerroom. It's one thing to be frustrated, but he has crossed a line or two when giving those post-games.

I'm very interested, but with questions.
Old 10-22-2012   #15
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, I hear he does a great delayed run on 3rd and 18.

After seeing post-game after post-game with his mopey attitude I wonder what he's like in a private lockerroom. It's one thing to be frustrated, but he has crossed a line or two when giving those post-games.

I'm very interested, but with questions.
Old 10-23-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, those guys are id!ots over there.
Old 10-23-2012   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This job (The HC gig) will end up being offered to Wade Phillips (among others). Just my prediction.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read