Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2005   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet when all the dust settles Verba ends up at one of the Guard spots.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #22
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I bet when all the dust settles Verba ends up at one of the Guard spots.
Vinny with the Texans or Cleveland?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #23
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I guess there is some confusion, because of this quote from the ESPN article and I had seen it earlier in another article by Pas

"Verba restructured his contract in 2004 to help the Browns out of a salary cap squeeze, and claims then-head coach Butch Davis promised to enhance his deal if he played well. Verba had a strong season and some league personnel men felt that he ranked in the top dozen performers among starting left tackles in 2004."

Is he a Guard or a Tackle? I assumed that Pas wouldn't call a Tackle a Guard, but I guess I'm wrong.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #24
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Browns | Verba Wants Out - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 05:27:40 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns OT Ross Verba responded to the team's signing of OT L.J. Shelton by asking the Browns to cut him. "That's great," said Verba when informed Friday, June 3 about Shelton. "Now they have a left tackle and hopefully they'll cut me. Please cut me now!" Verba has been threatening to sit out the season without a new contract. Browns general manager Phil Savage has already said that he has no plans to redo Verba's deal. "They obviously don't want to pay me what I'm worth, so why don't they just freaking cut me?" Verba said by phone. "They don't even return my agents' phone calls. To be disrespected like that is total B.S." Verba said he'll be happy to stay in Cleveland if the Browns give him the money he deserves. "If not, I'm man enough to walk away with my head held high."
So i guess the thread now is do we wanna bring Verba here to play ahead of Wand for a year.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #25
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I think if i'm not mistake Verba played guard in Green Bay some and evenntually switched to tackle but i could be wrong.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #26
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface
here comes peter....
doubt it. espn.com says he will likely sign with seattle. why not? u get to be with ur brother michael and a former teammate jamie sharper.
Old 06-04-2005   #27
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lets get a center instead...
Probably a better idea than panicking for a left tackle. LT this, LT that .... sheesh. I'm not able to review game tapes but Wand probably got credited with several sacks that resulted in the pocket collapsing from the middle. If anyone here has the luxury of doing so I'd be curious to see if I'm close on that one. If the middle linemen let the pocket collapse like that then Carr can't see the field and is going to get pushed back into one of the tackles.

Wand isn't an atrocity at LT, and wasn't picked to make an immediate impact, so calm down. Look how much the line improved from years 1 to 2 with the majority of the line still in tact. I'm content with drafting a center, who will hopefully take the majority of snaps in preseason games. Also, if LJ Shelton was our savior then why did the CARDINALS cut him? Kudos to Casserly for not offering too much money for a Denny Green reject.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2005   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Probably a better idea than panicking for a left tackle. LT this, LT that .... sheesh. I'm not able to review game tapes but Wand probably got credited with several sacks that resulted in the pocket collapsing from the middle. If anyone here has the luxury of doing so I'd be curious to see if I'm close on that one. If the middle linemen let the pocket collapse like that then Carr can't see the field and is going to get pushed back into one of the tackles.

Wand isn't an atrocity at LT, and wasn't picked to make an immediate impact, so calm down. Look how much the line improved from years 1 to 2 with the majority of the line still in tact. I'm content with drafting a center, who will hopefully take the majority of snaps in preseason games. Also, if LJ Shelton was our savior then why did the CARDINALS cut him? Kudos to Casserly for not offering too much money for a Denny Green reject.
Amen brother!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #29
LBblitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I think if i'm not mistake Verba played guard in Green Bay some and evenntually switched to tackle but i could be wrong.
I thought the same thing...
Old 06-04-2005   #30
LBblitz
Veteran

I am all for getting a center but who is availble? I have enough faith in wand but as long as Carr cant step up into the pocket he will be giving up alot of sacks that are not his fault.
Old 06-04-2005   #31
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Look how much the line improved from years 1 to 2 with the majority of the line still in tact.
Didn't we have a new RG, RT, and LG?
Old 06-04-2005   #32
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

geez we seem like we want every guy that comes on the market, is anyone not happy with the guys we have ???
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
geez we seem like we want every guy that comes on the market, is anyone not happy with the guys we have ???
I'm completely fine with the guys we have. We could throw Riley back as far as I'm concerned. Adding Pace would have been a no brainer obviously but everyone they've looked at or talked about since then has been one of two things. Either competition or depth
Old 06-04-2005   #34
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm completely fine with the guys we have. We could throw Riley back as far as I'm concerned. Adding Pace would have been a no brainer obviously but everyone they've looked at or talked about since then has been one of two things. Either competition or depth
I agree Hervoyel. Im fine with who we have, at least for this season. I know im here, but if Wand doesnt show enough progression we can always get a LT in high 1st round next draft. I know thats what Ive been saying alot here lately, but why waste alot of cap room for some1 that wouldnt be a great improvement over what we have already. I wouldnt mind bringing in a guy or 2 for cheap, just for depth and competition.
Old 06-05-2005   #35
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
:brickwall

lets get a center instead...
Preach... Post of the year.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #36
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
It is good to know that Trent Dilfer will have some time to throw this year. :brickwall
It is disheartening to see the lack in initiative to protect the QB displayed by this franchise. Games are won and lost in the trenches, if there is a team that needs to address its depth CRISIS with its o-line I can't think of a better one than the Texans. It doesn't make sense How many times has David been sacked the past 2 seasons? Who has been sacked more in that span of time? David's future is cut short with every snap of the ball in Texas.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #37
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Although I would have loved to land OPace or even LJShelton, I believe with another off-season together & some added depth and adjustments to get the ball outta DCs hands quicker, we'll be ok. My optimistic side rears it's ugly head every now & then.
Old 06-05-2005   #38
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't care how good of a LT you have, if you're not running the ball effectively, it's gonna be harder to throw the ball. i think a good runnin game this season will help cover up any weakness we have at LT.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
It doesn't make sense How many times has David been sacked the past 2 seasons? Who has been sacked more in that span of time? David's future is cut short with every snap of the ball in Texas.

David Carr has been sacked 64 times in the past 2 seasons, meanwhile:

Culpepper- 83
McNabb- 75
Bulger- 78
Hasselbeck- 72
ABrooks- 75
TBrady- 58.... all during the past 2 seasons.

Carr played in 28 during this span. I believe Culpepper, McNabb, Brooks, Brady played in 2-4 more... Hasselbeck and Bulger both missed a similar amount of time.

Imagine if this team held the lead more often in games and the defense was better. Just those facts alone would impact the sack total. Altering the protection scheme will impact the numbers as well. So, if the line doesn't improve but other areas of the team continue to, you can expect a sack total in range or better with some of the elite teams in the NFL.

THere is a common theme with these Qbs who have been sacked often the past 2 seasons:

1. good health
2. very mobile qbs,
3. or qbs who throw often from deep drops

David Carr fits all three of those descriptions and as a result has been sacked a fair amount of time the past 2 years.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #40
Mr Shush
Veteran

You can have a 1,000 yard rusher without a great running game. Think how many of those yards were on draw plays, for one thing. Not that our running was bad, but it could be better. Davis is a solid player, clearly NFL starting material, excellent value for a fourth-round pick, but I don't see him making too many pro-bowls.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read