Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2005   #1
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9
Default Shelton Agrees to contract with the Browns

Browns | Shelton Agrees to One-year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:11:27 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Cleveland Browns have reached an agreement with free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) on a one-year deal. Financial terms have not been disclosed.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #2
gcolby
Veteran

double-dy ding-dang!

:brickwall

Well, the guy clearly values MONEY over CLASS. For a little bit less, he could have signed on with us, a playoff-bound team on the rise. Instead, he get The Soljah as a team-mate.

Ah well.
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

He probably knew that he would not be able to beat Seth Wand out of the starting job. If that's his attitude, he is better off in Cleveland.

Good luck to you Mr. Shelton.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #4
Hoss
i need a beer..

Rep Power: 445 Hoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Hoss

here comes peter....

sig-False Start
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew Shelton wasn't going to be coming here and I still believe that if he had there's no way in the world he beats Seth Wand out of the LT spot. Guys, when the Cardinals tell a guy to take a hike after wasting a 1 on his sorry butt then you know there's something wrong with that player. If the Texans had wanted him they could have paid the money. They didn't and that speaks volumes about what they think of their LT depth.

The only reason Pitts is taking any reps there is to light a fire under Seth and to keep the position in Chester's mind because he's the best backup at that spot we've got. Wand goes down and Chester slides out. Then Milford Brown takes the LG spot. That's it, end of story IMO.
Old 06-03-2005   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Shelton would sign with the Texans. This is the problem even when you find a guy who seems to fit in FA. Too many factors have to line up in order to make it work to everyone. Money, opportunity, evironment..etc.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Wow, the search for a LT continues...
Old 06-03-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I don't see what everyone's fascination with this guy was/is...He got cut by one of the worst teams in the NFL (granted they are improving) for not performing, so why would he be better here? Pitts made huge strides at LT from 2002 to 2003 and I expect the same from Wand this year...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
The only reason Pitts is taking any reps there is to light a fire under Seth and to keep the position in Chester's mind because he's the best backup at that spot we've got. Wand goes down and Chester slides out.
I'm going to agree with your 2nd assumption & disagree with the 1st. I don't think the Texans are going to waste time in these coaching sessions to "light a fire". If a player isn't motivated on his own to perform his best, he needs to learn Jerry Glanville's definiton for N.F.L. Chester is now the only option at LT other than Wand. And let's include in our prayers tonight that we never have to see Milford Brown in the lineup.

Part of me is very happy that the Texans have stopped throwing mad $$$ at average talent. The other part is very confused as to why McKinney & Wiegert haven't had to renegotiate their monster salaries to reflect their league value. Whether he started or not, I would have liked to see a legit NFL lineman like Shelton on the team for depth purposes, at least. If the cap charges for McKinney & Wiegert weren't so ridiculous, maybe Casserly could have thrown Shelton a couple of extra bones.
Old 06-03-2005   #10
Texansbacker
Veteran

That bites he signed with Cleveland. I thought we could get him on the cheap and improve our depth and competition at left tackle. I hope that Wand is the real deal because I am not pinning a lot of hope with Riley.

The Texans were obviously only interested in getting Shelton for cheap as they could have certainly put together a better package than Cleveland but chose a more prudent approach instead.

Go Big Wand.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think there was something they knew about LJ and didn't want him unless it was on the Texan's terms. I think like others that a better center might be more of an immediate answer than the replacement of Wand. It could be the center position is the hole in the dike. Again, I hope that TC produces some young offensive O-line surprises. Like others, I believe that Riley will not be much of an answer, but then again you never know. Perhaps the OT from Cleveland who is so upset with Cleveland will come to Texas. He really is much better than LJ anyway. Actually that would almost be like a trade.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think there was something they knew about LJ and didn't want him unless it was on the Texan's terms. I think like others that a better center might be more of an immediate answer than the replacement of Wand. It could be the center position is the hole in the dike. Again, I hope that TC produces some young offensive O-line surprises. Like others, I believe that Riley will not be much of an answer, but then again you never know. Perhaps the OT from Cleveland who is so upset with Cleveland will come to Texas. He really is much better than LJ anyway. Actually that would almost be like a trade.

You don't know Ross Verba's name but you know that he's much better than Shelton?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
You don't know Ross Verba's name but you know that he's much better than Shelton?
Yes, that's what I said and believe. Sometimes a name eludes one, but I know who I'm talking about and so obviously do you. If you don't think so, then look up the comments on him and say what you think. I just happen to think the way Cleveland is playing the game that there is a real possibility we might get a shot at him. His problems are over his perception that the Browns promised him something if he restructured his contract last year to help the Browns. Unfortunately the Browns are saying the people who made the promises are long gone and they don't have to honor any of those verbal agreements. He tried to help his ball club and got the shaft. Therefore, he's a tad bit upset. As so many of you have stated, it's a business.

May be that's why Casserly didn't offer LJ enough. May be knew a large problem was developing between the Browns and Verba. Stranger things have happened. Will this move by the Browns anger Verba to the point he just says enough is enough. We will have to wait and see.

Browns and Verba

I found the above link and information after I wrote my statement, but it reinforces what I'm saying......

Last edited by Ibar_Harry; 06-04-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #14
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Right now we need atleast one tackle and one center. I cant believe we go into the season without adressing these.

Riley = I am not a believer. People have been saying he is extremely lazy.
I hate to tell but the hitting starts in 2 months. If we dont have the player we need tough. We might get more player that a team cuts but your 2005 Texans are pretty much visible now.

BTW Harry http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=3920 EPSN has Vebra listed as a Guard. Probably still help but.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #15
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
I hate to tell but the hitting starts in 2 months. If we dont have the player we need tough. We might get more player that a team cuts but your 2005 Texans are pretty much visible now.
If we only get one more player, which is probably a good estimate, I hope that it will be a tight end, and not an offensive guard or tackle.

Last edited by MojoMan; 06-04-2005 at 08:42 AM.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Yes, that's what I said and believe. Sometimes a name eludes one, but I know who I'm talking about and so obviously do you. If you don't think so, then look up the comments on him and say what you think. I just happen to think the way Cleveland is playing the game that there is a real possibility we might get a shot at him. His problems are over his perception that the Browns promised him something if he restructured his contract last year to help the Browns. Unfortunately the Browns are saying the people who made the promises are long gone and they don't have to honor any of those verbal agreements. He tried to help his ball club and got the shaft. Therefore, he's a tad bit upset. As so many of you have stated, it's a business.

May be that's why Casserly didn't offer LJ enough. May be knew a large problem was developing between the Browns and Verba. Stranger things have happened. Will this move by the Browns anger Verba to the point he just says enough is enough. We will have to wait and see.

Browns and Verba

I found the above link and information after I wrote my statement, but it reinforces what I'm saying......
Verba would fit in with McKinney and Weigert very well. Overpaid player probably not playing his best position and definately not earning the money being paid to him. The Browns have one of the few OL in the league that has been as poor as the Texans over the last few years.
Old 06-04-2005   #17
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Overpaid player probably not playing his best position and definately not earning the money being paid to him.
I thought Verba restructured his deal to help out the Browns last year. I think his base salary is pretty low this year and that's why he is holding out, because the ex-regime promised him more money this year.
Old 06-04-2005   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Taken in total context with the efforts to acquire OP and the Texans strategy in the college draft, this is encouraging to me. Cass would like to upgrade the all important LT position, but he's not by any means desperate to do so.
They are not going to overpay for a Hall-of-famer (by shelling out 2 first round picks), but they would have handed over a single first rounder, so they
would step up and pay a reasonable price.
Shelton on his best day was probably going to be only be a marginal upgrade,
trouble is his best days are over and he probably would not have beat out a younger player who is still ascending on the upside of his career.
To me the most significant thing about the draft and the offensive tackle position was not that the Texans didn't feel any sense of urgency to take
Barron, a player who was talented but also by reputation unbelievably unmotivated and lazy, but its that they also passed on Jamail Brown. The Saints sure liked him and even though he was thought to be more of a RT,
many felt that he also had the potential to play LT.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #19
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Verba restructured his contract in 2004 to help the Browns out of a salary cap squeeze, and claims then-head coach Butch Davis promised to enhance his deal if he played well. Verba had a strong season and some league personnel men felt that he ranked in the top dozen performers among starting left tackles in 2004.
He did restructure, but I think he is actually due 7.2 million the next two years. So the overpaid argument might be valid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2075601
Old 06-04-2005   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
He did restructure, but I think he is actually due 7.2 million the next two years. So the overpaid argument might be valid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2075601
Thanks was just about to go find the info.

The other problem is that he maybe a better guard than LT and that he thinks that he is underpaid.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read