Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2013   #81
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Dreessen, Ryans, Winston, Brisiel, Leach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It would have been nice to be able to retain those guys, but we can't.

It took 5 years for Dreessen to become a valid target; Graham has pretty much gotten there in 3 years.

We just can't afford nearly $3M on a second TE (and his cap hit would have been $3.3M this year.)
At least the transition from Dreesen to Graham resembles something like an actual plan. The transition from Winston to Butler/Newton/Harris looks like the staff has no idea WTF they're doing. The transition from Leach to Casey at least had some concept of using the FB in different scenarios, even if they haven't done that very often. The transition from Ryans to Bradie James ... well, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it, so I'll hush now.
Old 01-02-2013   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At least the transition from Dreesen to Graham resembles something like an actual plan. The transition from Winston to Butler/Newton/Harris looks like the staff has no idea WTF they're doing. The transition from Leach to Casey at least had some concept of using the FB in different scenarios, even if they haven't done that very often. The transition from Ryans to Bradie James ... well, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it, so I'll hush now.
They probably wanted to keep Winston, but the numbers didn't quite work out; hence the late scratch. It's just my guess, but since they've been covering their bases pretty timely (as much as time allows) the last few years, I really think that was the case. Then Butler became another scratch; it was a good thing that they can find a quick patch in Harris. It shows me that they've been doing their homework.

Demeco is another cap casualty, IMHO.
In Wade's system, if he needs to, the D only needs one monster at ILB.
Wade probably thought we can get by with James (not me) and Dobbins while waiting for Sharpton to return. It was just too bad that we lost Cushing.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #83
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They probably wanted to keep Winston, but the numbers didn't quite work out; hence the late scratch. It's just my guess, but since they've been covering their bases pretty timely (as much as time allows) the last few years, I really think that was the case. Then Butler became another scratch; it was a good thing that they can find a quick patch in Harris. It shows me that they've been doing their homework.

Demeco is another cap casualty, IMHO.
In Wade's system, if he needs to, the D only needs one monster at ILB.
Wade probably thought we can get by with James (not me) and Dobbins while waiting for Sharpton to return. It was just too bad that we lost Cushing.
I never thought Butler could replace Winston. I never thought Sharpton was good enough to replace Ryans. I never thought Bradie James should be playing this much.
Old 01-02-2013   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The transition from Winston to Butler/Newton/Harris looks like the staff has no idea WTF they're doing.
Maybe injury had something to do with that. Butler was the guy. Got hurt. Newton was the guy, got hurt. Harris was not the guy, but the team fought hard when that third stringer was in there & managed to win some games though they weren't playing their best.

Newton is now healthy & he's back in there.
Old 01-02-2013   #85
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Maybe injury had something to do with that. Butler was the guy. Got hurt. Newton was the guy, got hurt. Harris was not the guy, but the team fought hard when that third stringer was in there & managed to win some games though they weren't playing their best.

Newton is now healthy & he's back in there.
Butler sucked before he got hurt. Newton is not as good in pass pro as Winston, and that was Winston's weakest point. Newton isn't as good as Winston in run blocking, obviously. I'm not bagging on Newton, as he's a first time starter. But the coaches made the decision that Butler was going to be the guy, when they should have known full well that he wasn't ready for prime time. Butler lost the job to Newton before he ever got hurt. They screwed up in evaluating their guy. It happens. You just have to plan well enough that you don't take a chance on a new guy on OL while taking a chance on a new guy right next to him on OL.
Old 01-02-2013   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never thought Butler could replace Winston. I never thought Sharpton was good enough to replace Ryans. I never thought Bradie James should be playing this much.
Obviously not, but that's besides the point.
Many of the guys we spent our cap money on didn't have a good year.

Cushing got hurt.
Antonio plays hurt.
O.D. Plays hurt.
J.Joe plays hurt.
Wade Smith plays hurt.
Myers underperformed, so did D. Brown.

If you like, you can add Schaub and Foster.

These are among the top 12 in the salary structure.
With that many key cogs under-perform for whatever reason, why is it surprising that the team isn't doing well of late?
Old 01-02-2013   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Butler sucked before he got hurt. Newton is not as good in pass pro as Winston, and that was Winston's weakest point. Newton isn't as good as Winston in run blocking, obviously. I'm not bagging on Newton, as he's a first time starter. But the coaches made the decision that Butler was going to be the guy, when they should have known full well that he wasn't ready for prime time. Butler lost the job to Newton before he ever got hurt. They screwed up in evaluating their guy. It happens. You just have to plan well enough that you don't take a chance on a new guy on OL while taking a chance on a new guy right next to him on OL.
I don't know if it wasn't a measured gamble that they had both Butler & Newton that helped them make that decision. If they had just Butler, or just Newton they may have made some attempt to keep Winston.
Old 01-02-2013   #88
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

With Winston, Briesel, and Dreessen, we'd have 14 wins and be heading to the Superbowl, IMO. However, to do that, we would've had to do things financially that would have sacrificed the next few years. Now, we go into next year with a relatively healthy cap situation, 3-4 compensatory picks, and a group of young players that have gained valuable experience. Brooks, Jones, and Newton will likely be much improved next year and will be competing with other young talent acquired as a result of the extra picks gained in this year's blood-letting.

I'm guessing we may cut Wade Smith, let Caldwell go, do something in free agency to address one of the guard positions or RT, and then draft a couple guys in the middle rounds. I would expect, also, a TE to be selected by round 5. Other than the possible loss of Barwin, I think most of the team's talent returns next year- more experienced with more competition and a much deeper bench. This team is in great position for a long, successful run. Those hard decisions hurt this year but keep the prosperity going forward. This is what happens to all the successful organizations (New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York Giants)... Interesting to see how Philadelphia has fallen apart as they have moved away from this philosoph and began to covet and over pay veteran players. That defense is full of veteran stars in their prime, all being paid at a premium... How bad were they?! As much as I miss Demeco, who got the better end of that deal? As an Eagle fan, giving up a 3rd and a 4th for Demeco has to look a lot like our Phillip Buchanan trade of '05.
Old 01-03-2013   #89
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just felt like 'Meco was more deserving of more money in a 4-3.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I just felt like 'Meco was more deserving of more money in a 4-3.
To me, the Texans setting Demeco up with a team that run a 4-3 was a good effort by all to find a good home for him. He can play more snaps and he can be more productive there, thus enhancing his chance of getting another good pay day later on.
I believe that Demeco understood that the move was better for his career.
Old 01-03-2013   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't know if it wasn't a measured gamble that they had both Butler & Newton that helped them make that decision. If they had just Butler, or just Newton they may have made some attempt to keep Winston.
I hope to see what they've been doing with Nick Mondek this whole time on the PS. He's a converted DT that played guard his last two years at Purdue.
Looks like the Texans want to see what he can do at OT.

The guy is around 305.
He ran a mid 4.80, with a crazy unheard of 1.59 in 10-yd split at 300 LBs.
And his 3-cone is a mere 7.3
Old 01-03-2013   #92
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope to see what they've been doing with Nick Mondek this whole time on the PS. He's a converted DT that played guard his last two years at Purdue.
Looks like the Texans want to see what he can do at OT.

The guy is around 305.
He ran a mid 4.80, with a crazy unheard of 1.59 in 10-yd split at 300 LBs.
And his 3-cone is a mere 7.3
RG would have been a strength this year if they wouldn't have dumped Shelley Smith. I'm not sure why they never trusted him... Who knows? Of course, the Steelers cut James Harrison three times before protecting him on their roster. So, those things happen.
Old 01-03-2013   #93
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
RG would have been a strength this year if they wouldn't have dumped Shelley Smith. I'm not sure why they never trusted him... Who knows? Of course, the Steelers cut James Harrison three times before protecting him on their roster. So, those things happen.
I was waiting for one of these gems from you.
Old 01-03-2013   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's a little perplexing for me right there, too.

the Titans immediately put in a claim for him, but the Rams got him first.
He's a starter at LG for them in 6 games now (splitting time in a rotation like we've doing with Caldwell, Jones, and now Brooks at RG.
Old 01-03-2013   #95
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I was waiting for one of these gems from you.
With the lack of experience at the guard position, don't you think letting Smith go was an errant move (Smith is an NFL starter right now)... Did we really need to keep Gardner on the roster at Smith's expense?
Old 01-03-2013   #96
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
With the lack of experience at the guard position, don't you think letting Smith go was an errant move (Smith is an NFL starter right now)... Did we really need to keep Gardner on the roster at Smith's expense?
I think they were hoping to sneak him onto the Practice Squad.
His plays were somewhat inconsistent during PS (just like everybody out there.)
Not the best of moves.
Old 01-03-2013   #97
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Will these guys ultimately be the undoing of our Team?

I knew coming into this season that this would be the year that defines our current regime. I know there is ALOT of ball left to be played, and its certainly possible that we improve on last year. But, I have this bad feeling that these guys are going to ultimately be the death of us.

Dreeseen - We sorely miss his blocking abilities in the 2 TE formation.

Ryans - He was a true leader and the ONLY reason we could afford losing him was because of Cush. We now have a gaping hole in the middle of the field as a result of the injury.

Winston and Brisiel - Well, looks as though these guys are not as easily replacable as we had hoped to this point. It has been a never ending rotation at both positions and I see no light at the end of the tunnel yet as far as long term solutions.

Leach - I know he was gone 2 years ago, and having Casey is fantastic and adds another dimension, but I dont think this balances out positively for us.

The Texans are currently 23rd in the league with a 3.8 ypc average. 23rd in the league. Color me very concerned. Will our playaction continue to be a strength?

Look... the Texans may very well go out and beat Baltimore and everything might be hunky dory. But I feel like we have lost some serious toughness in the O-line and the teeth of our D, the middle (which was already a weakness) is going to be exploited.

And I know we could not afford all of these guys, and its all apart of the business. But man, all the talk was a Super Bowl run after last year, when in reality... its looking almost like a stop gap solution, another playoff hello, until we can fix these areas of the team long term and become true contenders for the Super Bowl.

I would not want to be Kubiak or Phillips right now. But I hope they find the way. A 5-0 head start certaily helps the cause. Lets hope we get that hot again at the end of the season.

Beat Balty! Go Texans!!!
did you call charlie & lance's show today about these players?
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #98
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungo_Taco View Post
did you call charlie & lance's show today about these players?
I only call if I am in my clown costume, which is at the cleaners.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read