Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2012   #21
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Return of Jacoby

Jacoby is just a guy. I think dream_team really nailed it. It's not like he's lighting it up in Baltimore. He's averaging 30 yards a game just like he did here.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 205022 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an extensive piece that came out in the Baltimore Sun today re. Jacoby. Includes comments by Kubs:

A JOYFUL JACOBY JONES READY TO FACE HIS FORMER TEAM
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #23
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

This is Jacoby's first year with Ravens. I am sure the Ravens and their fans will find out soon or later why we let him go.

I hope, the Ravens will find out why against Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Here's an extensive piece that came out in the Baltimore Sun today re. Jacoby. Includes comments by Kubs:

I neither wish him ill-will nor success. I'm pretty apathetic about the guy. (Although my policy this week is for him to suck and cough up a ball or two...just being a Texans fan, of course).

However, this little nugget really framed Jacoby Jones for me:

Quote:
Im closer to a Dancing with the Stars, player, he said to a reporter, who then asked him if he had another dance lined up. Jones replied, I said I was going to be humble and not dance, but I think I have something in my sock. Ive got something. Im going to pull something out.
Keep dancing in front the mirror. You go, boy.
Old 10-17-2012   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

He's neither the first or the last ex-Texan to move and do well for someone else. It's just life in the NFL. Can you imagine how the 49er fans felt when Montana was playing for the Chiefs?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #26
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care how well he plays somewhere else. As long as it is somewhere else.

He gives you promise and potential with an equal part of suck. He was given 6 years of patience here to figure things out and never really did.

Meh, he is who is..... The guy who is pretty good, right up until he sucks.
Old 10-17-2012   #27
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
He was vilified? Meh... He was glorified first. There was s&*t-ton of hype early on, as he was electric. He certainly has the tools and brought it to the house early in his career as a return man and SOME brilliant catches, but he's WAY too inconsistent. But he gradually lost his support in Houston week by week/month by month as his fun to watch return touchdown celebrations became more overshadowed by his drops, fumbles, muffs, etc... Eventually I think alot of fans tired of the roller-coaster ride that is Jacoby. He certainly wasn't run out of town because he was a great receiver and return man.

All in all, MOST around here are glad to see him gone, and saddened by the last Jacoby appearance in a Texans uniform resulted in:

So far he has been a definite positive for the Ravens? Good. Come talk to us when it counts. When Jacoby is at that pivotal point in the Raven's season. Good luck. He could prove his past history wrong... But So far his past history stands for it's self.

You read somewhere he was under so much pressure by Kubiak to perform; Kub;s would berate him daily in practice, etc., but here has thrived in a positive environment? Everyone is under pressure to perform.. it's a man's game. As for berating him daily.. don't tell us you read it.. show us what you read. And the last bit about the positive environment... Alllllmost sounds suggestive of our environment being inverse... NOT.

So, in summary, Jacoby is deemed as HUGE reward - HUGE risk. With the highs, you have to accept the lows. Houston, after 5 years, finally decided the risk came with too high a price.
I'm still looking for the article- mayb I heard it on the radio, not sure.

Anyway, the guy has been pretty good for us here, I knew about the drops, et al- I started a thread on on here on him when we signed him- it was about the same. His 108 yd td return was a beauty nd some of the catches he has made have been pretty nice.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2012   #28
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Realizing he was villified in Houston, I was pleasantly surprised by Jacoby and the presence he brings to the Ravens offense- he matches up well with Torrey Smith on the outside and his returns have been a pleasant surprise.

So far he has been a definite positive for the Ravens. I read somewhere he was under so much pressure by Kubiak to perform; Kub;s would berate him daily in practice, etc., but here has thrived in a positive environment.

Your thoughts?
Jacoby came into the league needing to mature like a lot of players, and most of us liked him as a person, and are glad to see him finding some success in the league.

I enjoyed watching him catch a couple of balls and get that big return last week.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Quote:
In Houston, he tantalized fans with those big plays, drawing comparisons to Andre Johnson. But he frustrated them with drops, uneven play and those costly miscues in the playoffs, which is why they may greet him with boos Sunday afternoon at Reliant Stadium.

I dont even care, Jones said. I am [a part of] Ravens Nation. They love me and I love them. Thats all that matters right now.
It's a shame when 28 year old Jacoby Jones is the bigger man.
Old 10-17-2012   #30
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Hes back with vengeance! He even has a sponsorship deal.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #31
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Jacoby is just a guy. I think dream_team really nailed it. It's not like he's lighting it up in Baltimore. He's averaging 30 yards a game just like he did here.
I haven't looked at his stats but to me he just looks more comfortable there. Like someone mentioned in another thread, he's only running a go route, flag or post. All vertical, just haul ass. Not quite Kube's requirement of performing the entire route tree.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #32
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I haven't looked at his stats but to me he just looks more comfortable there. Like someone mentioned in another thread, he's only running a go route, flag or post. All vertical, just haul ass. Not quite Kube's requirement of performing the entire route tree.
Keep in mind, he looked a lot better here when Schaub was on the field. But our last 8 games of Jacoby were awful. 10 catches in 8 games. That's a lasting impression. Not to mention the fumbles.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #33
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyway, the guy has been pretty good for us here, I knew about the drops, et al- I started a thread on on here on him when we signed him- it was about the same. His 108 yd td return was a beauty nd some of the catches he has made have been pretty nice.
Ugh, I hate it for ya, I really do, but he'll get your hopes up oh so high, and then kick a leg out of that high chair the second he does. Jacoby relies on the PI as well, he will go down in history as a very average receiver with above average skills. It's those BK hands!
Old 10-18-2012   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You'll be looking for that article forever because it doesn't exist.

I am sure Gary Kubiak has chewed his ass, just like he has chewed anyone's ass for having bad hands and failing to improve them.

He was hard on Trindon Holliday, too, and all that happened was Trindon ended up being a bumbling returner who was cut and then signed by Denver and then muffed a punt with the Broncos and lost it to the other team.

You cannot act like the coach was the problem.

Just wait and see. We kept the guy for 5 years, you think we'd just turn loose of him for no good reason??? Just like with David Carr, too. He's not starting in the NFL is he? Nope, and for a reason.

Case closed. Next topic?
Old 10-18-2012   #35
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This was the only problem I had with his post. Sure, tell us about how he's doing well in a low pressure situation, and how he's looked decent with a change of scenery. But, don't act like it was coaching that held him back.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
This was the only problem I had with his post. Sure, tell us about how he's doing well in a low pressure situation, and how he's looked decent with a change of scenery. But, don't act like it was coaching that held him back.
Yep.

I guess John Fox over there in Denver is a hard ass, too, since Holliday promptly coughed the ball up in his first gig with the Broncos.

I like visiting fans, but when they try and tell us our business and they're nowhere near being accurate...it's sort of irritating. I wouldn't dream of going to a visiting board and try to tell them why or how they are not doing well or make commentary on former players of theirs, etc. It's hilarious.
Old 10-18-2012   #37
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak did nothing but facilitate situations that were perfect for Jones to succeed here. He gave Jacoby more than his fair share of chances, but dude could not consistently produce.

A change of scenery does some players good, but it's in the player's head and not on the shoulders of a coaching staff in most cases. Kubiak would have loved to have a successful Jacoby Jones on his roster, but his monumental mistakes were too much for even a patient coach like Kubiak to endure for five seasons.
Old 10-19-2012   #38
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Speed Cheetah < Jocoby

Hands JJ Watt > Jocoby

Brain Ant > Jocoby

Nuf said.

Signed Kubiak
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #39
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like visiting fans, but when they try and tell us our business and they're nowhere near being accurate...it's sort of irritating. I wouldn't dream of going to a visiting board and try to tell them why or how they are not doing well or make commentary on former players of theirs, etc. It's hilarious.
You act like I said "Jacoby's failures in Houston were all Kubiak and the teams fault; he's been golden here so you guys suck"

I wrote nothing of the sort- I wrote "I read" then I wrote "I heard" because I couldn't remember where but someone (a national writer) had said/wrote that Jones was ridden hard by Kub- then I wrote "Your thoughts?" as in asking for feedback as to what really happened.

Nowhere did I try to "tell you your business" nor did I try to tell you " why or how they are not doing well or make commentary on former players of theirs, etc.".

I asked a question.
Old 10-19-2012   #40
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
You'll be looking for that article forever because it doesn't exist.

I am sure Gary Kubiak has chewed his ass, just like he has chewed anyone's ass for having bad hands and failing to improve them.

He was hard on Trindon Holliday, too, and all that happened was Trindon ended up being a bumbling returner who was cut and then signed by Denver and then muffed a punt with the Broncos and lost it to the other team.

Just wait and see. We kept the guy for 5 years, you think we'd just turn loose of him for no good reason??? Just like with David Carr, too. He's not starting in the NFL is he? Nope, and for a reason.

Case closed. Next topic?
I didn't say the coach was the problem. Re-read what I wrote.

I'm sure your dismissive tone makes you feel better about yourself too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read