Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #1
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Harris

Why is this guy not playing. We traded up to get him in the second round, but he hasn't seen the field in the regular season yet. Last year, okay fine. This year? He needs to play. There were some good players selected around him.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Why is this guy not playing. We traded up to get him in the second round, but he hasn't seen the field in the regular season yet. Last year, okay fine. This year? He needs to play. There were some good players selected around him.
Its one of life's great mysteries. He must look really, really terrible in practice to never see the field.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not convinced that Harris sucks ass in practice.

I've seen him play in pre season and he doesnt look like a total scrub. I really think this (and maybe even the mercilus situation) is one of those deals where the coaching staff is too slow to react.

How bad is Brandon Harris in his limited practice reps that they think he'll do a worse job in coverage than Alan ball?

Look how backwards some of our defensive personnel decisions have been. You release Troy Nolan, keep shilo keo right?

Well why the hell would you release Nolan and keep keo and Nolan is playing over him as soon as he comes back?

So you released a guy that is obviously a better player?

You draft merci in the first round and say a this stuff about how he'll be playing in pass rushing situations. Bull****.

You trade up for Brandon Harris and don't play him over Alan ball? How could he possibly be worse in coverage?

Barwin has done almost nothing. Maybe he will improve. I'm not a merci fan but jeez, play the guy at least a few pass rushing snaps. You went on and on about how the guy was the best pass rusher in college and how he caused so many things to happen. You said you'd even consider playing him WITH barwin and reed to get your best on the field...

Haven't seen it.

I'm not ready to say Brandon Harris not playing is an indictment of his ability. Might just be a goofy coaching decision.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #4
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man I don't get it either. Did the Texans really blow this pick? At the same time I think if they dump him, he'll go off somewhere else and end up being productive.
Old 10-15-2012   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not ready to say Brandon Harris not playing is an indictment of his ability. Might just be a goofy coaching decision.
Well, it's one of the two for sure.

Nolan has been playing an awful lot, hasn't he? And Keo...goodness...there are definitely some wonky decisions going on with the backend. How 'bout sitting Joseph down until he recovers health or recovers the mindset of "I'm a top-flight cornerback"? Seeing him getting burned over and over is getting old real quick. At least it was by a legitimate QB this time.

I think we'll start seeing Mercilus next week. You don't draft a pass rush guy with a 1st and sit him in the face of 2 total sacks from your OLBs. He knows how to rush. You don't have to teach him the whole defense. Stand here, go tackle that.....

One thing is for sure, the Texans came to play football. The Packers came to sell us deoderant, insurance, apps, all kinds of ****....oh yeah, and to hang 6 TDs on a hyped up defense. Either losing Cushing was 10x the blow we could ever imagine or they just got exposed!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

After last night's game, I wonder how many changes Wade will make (if any)? I'd like to see Harris play just to see what he can do out there.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #7
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, but it seems like Bryan Brahman deserves to play some...he was the only guy that showed up last night besides JJ Watt.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
I dunno, but it seems like Bryan Brahman deserves to play some...he was the only guy that showed up last night besides JJ Watt.
Can he cover WRs and TEs? Pass rush isn't going to get there every play. Our secondary was lit up like a christmas tree. I haven't seen a D this bad in a couple years
Old 10-15-2012   #9
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The o-line was awful last night as well. Schaub was hurried on just about every throw and 2.0 ypg speaks for itself.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #10
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Can he cover WRs and TEs? Pass rush isn't going to get there every play. Our secondary was lit up like a christmas tree. I haven't seen a D this bad in a couple years
They need to find someone to get to the qb besides JJ Watt.

Last edited by utahmark; 10-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I've been of this opinion for some time. As I have said several times, Kubiak and Co. just have too many WTF moments for me to trust that he knows what he's doing enough to be a really good head coach.
Old 10-15-2012   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
They need to find someone to get to the qb besides JJ.
Like I said, the pass rush will not get there every time. We have to be able to cover and they weren't.

Let's just say it was a very bad defensive performance overall. Front end, back end and coaching all had a bad outing. Heck, go ahead and throw the rest of the team in there too. They all laid an egg
Old 10-15-2012   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I've been of this opinion for some time. As I have said several times, Kubiak and Co. just have too many WTF moments for me to trust that he knows what he's doing enough to be a really good head coach.
I'm not sure how much Harris not playing is Kubiak's decision. I'm sure he has input, but if Wade thought he could help the defense then I think he'd have him on the field. Or maybe he just has a soft spot for Alan Ball.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #14
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm not sure how much Harris not playing is Kubiak's decision. I'm sure he has input, but if Wade thought he could help the defense then I think he'd have him on the field. Or maybe he just has a soft spot for Alan Ball.
...and Bradie James. I'd almost advocate throwing Harris and Ruud out there to see what they can do. I have a good feeling about Ruud. I hope he catches on quick. We need a hype man on D! Brahman maybe?
Old 10-15-2012   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I was critical of his play in the preseason...I was a little surprised he made the team. I thought they kept him to save face...so I'm not shocked he isn't playing much.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #16
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Like I said, the pass rush will not get there every time. We have to be able to cover and they weren't.

Let's just say it was a very bad defensive performance overall. Front end, back end and coaching all had a bad outing. Heck, go ahead and throw the rest of the team in there too. They all laid an egg
Wade's defense is built on being able to get to the qb quickly. They need to get there more often than they did last night.
Old 10-15-2012   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Wade's defense is built on being able to get to the qb quickly. They need to get there more often than they did last night.
our best pass rushers are 3-4 DE's. Nice to have but that's kinda scary when you run a 3-4.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #18
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets not let Wade off the hook either. Same thing happened last yr vs the saints. They spread you out and pretty much know you are man to man every play. Luckily for the texans there are only a few QBs that have the capability of doing that.

Being run on in their dime package will always be a problem.
dtran04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Troy Nolan/Shilo Keo thing.

You cut a guy in favor of another guy. Then when you bring that cut player back, he's playing over the guy that you kept....

Is Shilo really that much of an asset to special teams that you'd cut a player that you think is a better help on defense?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #20
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Troy Nolan/Shilo Keo thing.

You cut a guy in favor of another guy. Then when you bring that cut player back, he's playing over the guy that you kept....

Is Shilo really that much of an asset to special teams that you'd cut a player that you think is a better help on defense?
Remember when Kubes said that if you are only playing ST, you better be "special".

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read