Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2013   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reliant's Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
They were using the field turf for HS games towards the end of last season.
It is the first college game played on the AstoTurf though isn't it?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #62
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It is the first college game played on the AstoTurf though isn't it?
I believe they used it the night before in the UH/Southern Game. I don't believe they used it for the Meineke Car Care Bowl last December, but I can't say that for sure.
Old 09-01-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
During the Mississippi State-Oklahoma State game, AstroTurf for the first time was used in Reliant Stadium. It was costly in that Mississippi State lost 3 starting players to lower extremity injuries.........Safety Jay Hughes left with an Achilles injury, while corner Jamerson Love left with an ankle injury with possible knee injury . Neither returned and are expected to be lost for the season. Offensive lineman Justin Malone left the game in the fourth quarter with a significant non-specified leg injury and may or may not be lost for the season.
I've never played on astro-turf, but I've always thought the biggest dangers of it was that they basically laid it over concrete. If they were to lay it out over our "natural grass" field, shouldn't that make it "better"
Old 09-01-2013   #64
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I believe they used it the night before in the UH/Southern Game. I don't believe they used it for the Meineke Car Care Bowl last December, but I can't say that for sure.
Yes, they were using it last year and it was used in the Bowl game. In fact, I believe the Bowl game is the 1st college game they used it.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #65
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 123638 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've never played on astro-turf, but I've always thought the biggest dangers of it was that they basically laid it over concrete. If they were to lay it out over our "natural grass" field, shouldn't that make it "better"
All I know is back in the '80's a friend and I would go over to Royal Memorial Stadium on Sunday's before the NFL games got going and play pick-up games on that turf which was considered one of the better astroturf fields at the time.

I can't tell you how much pain we all felt in our lower legs and ankles afterward. I'm shocked no one tore their legs up and had to go to the ER during a game. I came away from those experiences hating astroturf and having a much greater fear for players on my team (Oilers..etc) that had to play on the crap.

That is to say nothing of the rug burns from diving. Heavy rain didn't help as much as one would think either.
Old 09-01-2013   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The configuration over grass would not allow for taught even application of the velcro-connected strips. It must be applied to a totally level hard surface. The new AstroTurf already has its own built in cushioning......any additional cushioning in the form of underlying grass would make a player sink and feel more like they were running in sand.........guaranteeing more overuse injuries. Some stadiums have created a false temporary hard floor overlying their grass fields, where they then can apply synthetic FieldTurf over them........then after those games, remove the FieldTurf and false floor to again play on the natural grass surface.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read