Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2012   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I really think Mercilus was "robbed" of a coverage sack

In the second quarter, after the 35-yd pass to CJ, we stopped them for a one-yd gain on a run.

They tried a pass on the next play with max protect.
We had Barwin on the TE.
We had double coverage on the two receivers.

In turn, they had two blocking each of our 3 guys.
Merci was about to beat his man in one-on-one when the LG came back to help.

Stafford tried to escape up the middle.

Merci split the two blockers and tackled the QB.

When his knee hit the ground, the ball has yet to cross the LOS.

That should have been a sack.

Can somebody make a gif in super slo-mo?

I will try to post the screen shots.
Right now, I'm kinda beat after some 4 Hours watching film, not counting the college games I flipped through today on TV.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I really think Mercilus was "robbed" of a coverage sack

I can't sleep.

Here's the sequemce:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ies%205/Merci/

What do you think?
Old 12-02-2012   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

chek out the last few shots.

knee down, thigh down, buttock down.
Old 12-02-2012   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks to me like he is past the LOS but it's close.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Once he commits to be a runner isn't it a TFL instead?
Old 12-02-2012   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't believe it is when the original play was a designed pass play. Didn't JJ have a sack taken from him because the stats people said it was a designed QB draw and not a pass play? I believe that was against Miami.

LINK
Old 12-02-2012   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't believe it is when the original play was a designed pass play. Didn't JJ have a sack taken from him because the stats people said it was a designed QB draw and not a pass play? I believe that was against Miami.

LINK
In the Dolphins game, Tannerhil was looking to hand the ball to the RB when he tripped and fell.
The RB was heading in that direction to take the snap.

This one is completely different.
The RB squatted to get ready to block.
Stafford looked and pumped a few times.
He went through his progression, looking at the #1 option of the left, then went back to the right to check his 2nd and third option (his third was the TE that Barwin covered.)

It was clearly a pass play.

Also, the rules (per Wikipedia) stated that it is possible to record a sack for zero yard.
The QB must pass the statistical line of scrimmage to avoid the sack.

The ball never crossed the LOS when Stafford's right knee and thigh was down.

He did not get past the LOS before he was down.

And that was why I think it should have been a sack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_sack

Actually, all we need is that the QB did not cross the LOS.
When his knee and thigh hit the turf, he was down.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 230490 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Here's the sequemce:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ies%205/Merci/

What do you think?
Wouldn't hurt to pass it along to Elias Sports Bureau.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Wouldn't hurt to pass it along to Elias Sports Bureau.
The Texans would have to do it.

But I think they'd rather get busy with winning games than some minor stat like us, LOL!
Old 12-02-2012   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the Dolphins game, Tannerhil was looking to hand the ball to the RB when he tripped and fell.
The RB was heading in that direction to take the snap.

This one is completely different.
The RB squatted to get ready to block.
Stafford looked and pumped a few times.
He went through his progression, looking at the #1 option of the left, then went back to the right to check his 2nd and third option (his third was the TE that Barwin covered.)

It was clearly a pass play.

Also, the rules (per Wikipedia) stated that it is possible to record a sack for zero yard.
The QB must pass the statistical line of scrimmage to avoid the sack.

The ball never crossed the LOS when Stafford's right knee and thigh was down.

He did not get past the LOS before he was down.

And that was why I think it should have been a sack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_sack

Actually, all we need is that the QB did not cross the LOS.
When his knee and thigh hit the turf, he was down.
I completely agree with you. I was just trying to point out the difference to gtexan02. It doesn't matter if the qb decides to become a runner if the original play was a designed pass play. Tackled behind LOS is a sack.
Old 12-02-2012   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I completely agree with you. I was just trying to point out the difference to gtexan02.
Yeah, I know!
Old 12-02-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I remember when this happened & said to myself, "That's a sack!"

Stuff like that happens all the time & in truth I figured the only person it "really" matters to is Merci. If he were in a contract year, or if he gets a per sack bonus, then he'd care.

Other than that, I think our coaches know what's going on. He did his job there, it was a negative play. Guys like Football outsiders probably picked up on it, may not have counted it as a sack but I'm sure it helped Whitney's grade.

I know you don't put too much into "sack numbers" & pay attention to what is real.

Get some sleep.
Old 12-02-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I remember when this happened & said to myself, "That's a sack!"

Stuff like that happens all the time & in truth I figured the only person it "really" matters to is Merci. If he were in a contract year, or if he gets a per sack bonus, then he'd care.

Other than that, I think our coaches know what's going on. He did his job there, it was a negative play. Guys like Football outsiders probably picked up on it, may not have counted it as a sack but I'm sure it helped Whitney's grade.

I know you don't put too much into "sack numbers" & pay attention to what is real.

Get some sleep.
LOL, actually I had too much sleep on Fri and that was why it was hard to get an easy sleep yesterday.

Basically, I've always said I don't trust individual numbers.

Like when Wade said one of his guys get a free run at a QB and get a sack; "he had not done anything". Those are his exact words I believe.

I just thought it is worth mentioning that Merci actually beat two guys to make this play.

We've seen guys (including ours) had a free run .

I've see Von Miller getting a sack on a free run in the Chargers game, and a stop for loss in the same game, also on a free run.

I've seen him making plays due to the work of the guys around him, due to scheme, or due to mis-assignment by the D.

Miller is an excellent pass rusher, but on that I'm not even sure that I can put him ahead of Watt.

Even if I give him a higher grade in pass rushing, the margin is nowhere near enough to put him close to Watt for DeFensive MVP.

But I digress
Old 12-02-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Miller is an excellent pass rusher, but on that I'm not even sure that I can put him ahead of Watt.

Even if I give him a higher grade in pass rushing, the margin is nowhere near enough to put him close to Watt for DeFensive MVP.

But I digress
There's a thread for that.

As far as not doing nothing.... I know that's Wade, but he says things for different reasons. I've seen guys with a free run to the QB & gets nada... Barwin/Rogers.....

But the point, I think, is that it's the body of work that matters. Rushing the passer is only part of the game for any NFL player. I've seen enough of Whitney (the guy this thread... that you started, is about) to know he's going to be a player.

He's got a high ceiling, the only question is how high. With guys like Watt setting the bar so high & Antonio's never say never attitude, I'm going to say it's going to be pretty high.
Old 12-02-2012   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Mercilus needs to have a sack today and I mean that every way possible. Prove your pick young buck. Go get you some more playing time. I'm excited to see what he can do.

There you go!!! Now getcha pull!!!

Last edited by TimeKiller; 12-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 74864 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Mercilus needs to have a sack today and I mean that every way possible. Prove your pick young buck. Go get you some more playing time. I'm excited to see what he can do.

There you go!!! Now getcha pull!!!
So what ya thinking now TK?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #17
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the second quarter, after the 35-yd pass to CJ, we stopped them for a one-yd gain on a run.

They tried a pass on the next play with max protect.
We had Barwin on the TE.
We had double coverage on the two receivers.

In turn, they had two blocking each of our 3 guys.
Merci was about to beat his man in one-on-one when the LG came back to help.

Stafford tried to escape up the middle.

Can somebody make a gif in super slo-mo?

I will try to post the screen shots.
Right now, I'm kinda beat after some 4 Hours watching film, not counting the college games I flipped through today on TV.
I thought they counted it as a sack, they showed him having 2 sacks on the day

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read