Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2012   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who is the real Gary Kubiak??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
This isn't rocket science.

Kubiak is an excellent offensive coordinator who has proven in the past to be a mediocre head coach. His record before Wade proves that point.

You bring in Wade who is an excellent defensive mind and that in itself is going to bring in some more wins putting an average team above average (as we saw last season).

Wade is also bringing in another element that has changed the culture of the team. Maybe that element is JJ Watt. Maybe it's the fact that the defense is very confident now and the defense just sets the tone of the entire team.

To me this is an interesting experiment. Can a team win with 2 of the game's best coordinators but without a solid HC be successful? Right now they are 5-0 so you can say yes.

However when you get into the playoffs and are pushing toward a Super Bowl, that's when you need a solid HC IMO. A guy who can get the team mentally prepared and also make some clutch decisions during games.

Not a guy who is going to start choking when the game is on the line and start playing not to lose.

Wade has definitely bought Kubiak some more time to learn how to be a good HC. I hope he does become a good HC. Actually until Monday night I was thinking he finally turned the corner, now I am not so sure.

The obvious best case scenario for the Texans is not to be in close games. The close games is where Kubiak starts showing his shortcomings as a HC.
Great Post

Repped
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
what makes a solid head coach? last time i checked, the players all respect kubiak alot as evidenced by them ALWAYS playing hard even when the season was gone down the ****ter.

a team without a solid HC doesnt perform like the texans did last yr with a rookie qb.

btw im loving that, because kubiak is smart enough to know he can win playing bland against the jets in week 5 when the team is 4-0, it makes him a bad playcaller etc... everybody questioning stuff like that is playing checkers, he's playing chess. when it comes to games that matter in the playoffs etc, we wont play so bland.. and the other team wont have those plays on tape either

ive said it all along- kubiak is a great HC & OC. he needs a good D co-ordinator and talent on D (something he allows by always giving the D high picks etc- another reason hes so good btw). glad to see him finally get his deserved rewards the last 2 years. many more to come.....
I think I speak for all Texans fans in saying, we hope you're right.

Whoop up on the PACK.

Go Texans
Old 10-11-2012   #63
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52945 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think I speak for all Texans fans in saying, we hope you're right.

Whoop up on the PACK.

Go Texans
Agreed. I want to be wrong with my opinion of Kubiak. So with that in mind I have no desire to argue with those that disagree with my current opinion.

I think we will learn more about Kubiak on Sunday night. The Texans have every excuse in the book to lose.

Excuse 1, they are coming off a hard fought Monday night win. I think the record of teams coming off of MNF wins is not that favorable.

Excuse 2, the Packers are going to be beyond desperate at this point. They have to be thinking this is a MUST win considering if they lose they fall to 2-4.

Excuse 3, the Packers blew a big lead and were embarrassed against a seemingly lesser opponent. They are going to be playing above their heads to turn their season around vs a team that many are projecting as the best team in the NFL right now.

Excuse 4, Brian Cushing being out. It might take the defense a little time to make the necessary adjustments for his absense. Also on a short week there was simply not enough time.

Exuse 5, Hey, we are 5-0. We didn't expect to be undefeated this season so losing to a desperate Packers team is no big deal.

I am sure I could come up with some more. However if this team pulls out a win despite the above then I will give major kudos to Kubiak.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #64
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. I want to be wrong with my opinion of Kubiak. So with that in mind I have no desire to argue with those that disagree with my current opinion.
I couldn't agree more with this. I know it's been said by a few on this board they can't stand the "I predict a bad thing to happen but I hope I'm wrong" sentence. Well, I see nothing wrong with "I think Houston will be hit by that hurricane forming in the Gulf, but I hope I'm wrong" and I don't think anyone else would see anything wrong with it either.

But if you say the same thing about something Texans related, instantly you get blow back about not being a truely supportive fan. Well, **** that ****. I don't think Kubiak is truely anything more than an average head coach if left to his own devices. He comes nowhere near to being a Parcells, Cower, or Belichick. But that doesn't mean that he won't become one over time, he just isn't one right now.

And, oh yeah, I'd love to be proven wrong.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #65
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52945 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we will learn more about Kubiak on Sunday night.
... and we have learned what I have known all along. Dude doesn't have the nads to be a top flight head coach. What an embarrassment.

In this case I really hate to be right but it's undeniable now.
Old 10-14-2012   #66
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21295 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... and we have learned what I have known all along. Dude doesn't have the nads to be a top flight head coach. What an embarrassment.

Couldn't agree more.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #67
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... and we have learned what I have known all along. Dude doesn't have the nads to be a top flight head coach. What an embarrasment.

I wouldn't say that this one game proves that personally. The defense is who is getting owned the most here, but the offense doesn't seem capable of doing squat hardly in the passing game. I've been noticing this all season. We've had a few nice play action bombs, but not much else other then that. I've always felt this way about Kubiak, but I'm not to worried about losing to a Packers team that really needed a win. We can learn from this.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2012   #68
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I wouldn't say that this one game proves that personally.
Agreed, it would be this game plus the previous 5 or 6 years. Sorry if I was not clear about that.
Old 10-14-2012   #69
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We can learn from this.
We could have learned from the first 5 or 6 years of Kubiak's tenure as well. What we'll learn is a different story altogether.
Old 10-14-2012   #70
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
We could have learned from the first 5 or 6 years of Kubiak's tenure as well. What we'll learn is a different story altogether.
Well you know my history of posting pretty well and my thoughts on Kubiak have never been a secret. I'm just not to worried about this game since it was our defense that got owned and because it was against Rodgers when his team really needed a win.
Old 10-14-2012   #71
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does scripting our early plays lead to our slow starts offensively? Facing Rodgers you'd think we'd want to establish the run early but we came out throwing and then had to stay that way when we got down early.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Does scripting our early plays lead to our slow starts offensively? Facing Rodgers you'd think we'd want to establish the run early but we came out throwing and then had to stay that way when we got down early.
I've seen some brilliant scripts by kubiak.

I'm not concerned there. My concern is the ability to consistently put pressure on defenses. We have the weapons to do that.

Every time a great offensive team gets the ball you feel like they are going to move the ball. You are on edge because they constantly put pressure on your defense.

We don't do that. We call a lot of plays that don't even make defenses sweat. Those ragedy ass screens we run every game, running Arian into the teeth of the defense, not using Tate or Forsett, not utilizing keyshawn in short space (although he showed some of that tonight).

The offense is good, but it's like he's missing the step on your throat chromosome when it comes to play calling. Put the damn pedal to the medal.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #73
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36084 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep. I couldn't agree more. I'm not necessarily saying he should be fired, but the end of the first half summed up Kubiak for me. There is over 30 seconds on the clock, we have three timeouts, and the chance to at least try and get in field goal range. And hell, what if Keshawn Martin returns one to the house? Does he not even want to give him the chance?!?

For me, Kubiak is just a p***y. He refuses to play to win. The only thing he knows how to do is play not to lose. It's just infuriating. I'm not saying that I don't think we can win with Gary Kubiak. But I am saying I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it were someone like Chucky.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #74
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The offense is good, but it's like he's missing the step on your throat chromosome when it comes to play calling. Put the damn pedal to the medal.
That has not changed since he got here.
Old 10-14-2012   #75
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Yep. I couldn't agree more. I'm not necessarily saying he should be fired, but the end of the first half summed up Kubiak for me. There is over 30 seconds on the clock, we have three timeouts, and the chance to at least try and get in field goal range. And hell, what if Keshawn Martin returns one to the house? Does he not even want to give him the chance?!?

For me, Kubiak is just a p***y. He refuses to play to win. The only thing he knows how to do is play not to lose. It's just infuriating. I'm not saying that I don't think we can win with Gary Kubiak. But I am saying I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it were someone like Chucky.
I'm pretty confused here, because you just posted this below the other day in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I think Kubiak is a great offensive coordinator. I think he is a very good head coach. But I think he is a terrible defensive coach.

I don't think Kubiak is terrible and Wade saved his job; he just never had a decent defensive coordinator and Kubiak is a bit deficient on the defensive side of the ball.

What I like the most about Kubiak is the guy is a true player's coach. He never bad mouths players to the media, but he will let them have it behind closed doors. He will call guys out for not doing their job but when it comes to addressing the media, "It's all on me" is his reply. I hated this for the longest time because I thought that was why we were a bad team. But we now see we were a bad team because we had piss poor defensive coordinators that did not utilize the talent on this team, plus we had a rookie GM that was learning on the job as well.

So who is the real Kubiak? That answer is twofold. Gary Kubiak + a crap defensive coordinator is a bad head coach. Gary Kubiak + a good to great defensive coordinator is a good to potentially great head coach.
So which one is it? Do you think he is a good coach or a ***** of a HC? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand some of you guys that seem to jump back and forth on the fence with the guy with these extreme changes of opinions. Gary didn't change anything before this season or before this game. He is the same guy he was 3 years ago and 5 years ago. You either like his style of coaching or you don't. Kubiak is and always will be the same guy either way.
Old 10-14-2012   #76
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting out-coached by Dom Capers. Ugh.
Old 10-15-2012   #77
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21295 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Getting out-coached by Dom Capers. Ugh.
Bologna.
If that makes you sleep better, fine.

More like:
Getting out-PLAYED by Aaron Rodgers & Clay Matthews.
I could see that one a whole lot easier.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #78
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep talking about his lack of a killer instinct, but chewing up clock when you have a lead kills an opponent quicker than anything. I know it's better to keep adding points, but that is not so guaranteed to happen as the clock running after your RB goes down. I also can't help thinking that the only game we've lost this year had nothing to do with "killer instinct" or lack thereof. Aaron Rodgers doesn't throw 6 TD passes against you because your offensive playcaller lacks a "killer instinct."

Now, you guys saying Kubiak is not a good HEAD COACH could be right, but I don't see the proof of it at all. I see that we got our butts handed to us last night on a Sunday night game right after a Monday night game. I know the whole team played badly, and I know that's ultimately on the HC, but so are the 5 wins to date.

Guess all I'm saying is take it with a grain of salt. We weren't the 72 Dolphins....and we're not the 2005 Texans either. I'm a lot more worried about Schaub's next injury and when it will happen than I am about ticky-tack ref. calls, Manning throwing, "Hey, got off my knee!" punches under the pile, and everything else that just made it one bad game.

We played like crap, the refs called it like crap, heck, the whole stadium was vagina pink. Sometimes, it just ain't your day.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #79
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3605 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

As relatively new Texans fan, why do fans dislike Kubiak (based on previous seasons)? Is this the general consensus among Texans fans? I quite like him and I also like Wade...I haven't followed the team for long enough to build an informed opinion yet. Cheers
Old 10-15-2012   #80
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've seen some brilliant scripts by kubiak.

I'm not concerned there. My concern is the ability to consistently put pressure on defenses. We have the weapons to do that.

Every time a great offensive team gets the ball you feel like they are going to move the ball. You are on edge because they constantly put pressure on your defense.

We don't do that. We call a lot of plays that don't even make defenses sweat. Those ragedy ass screens we run every game, running Arian into the teeth of the defense, not using Tate or Forsett, not utilizing keyshawn in short space (although he showed some of that tonight).

It's hard to be that kind of offense when you dont have playmakers at WR. (Excluding AJ) There's not another WR on the team that opposing defenses fear. A threat to score a TD at anytime.

The Packers have 4-5 of those kind of WR's. That was one of the biggest differences between the 2 offenses. (That and the greatnes of Rodgers)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read