Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Got to admit, Aaron played light out last night!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Their RBs combined for 82 yards on 29 carries.
That's 2.83 ave.

We got beat on coverage with the DBs, and not because of the ILB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #143
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Their RBs combined for 82 yards on 29 carries.
That's 2.83 ave.

We got beat on coverage with the DBs, and not because of the ILB.
Yeh, the LBs were asleep at home for the run.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #144
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James
Jackson Manning Quin Joseph

That would be our base

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Reed
Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson McCain Manning Quin Joseph

IDk, something similar
This is what we played almost all night (except Quin was in the box and Nolan was deep instead of Keo),

lets never do that again
Old 10-15-2012   #145
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Why the hell would we bring keo in to play in the box to cover anyones te?

Seriously?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #146
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Why the hell would we bring keo in to play in the box to cover anyones te?

Seriously?
The only explanation..........The penny turned up "tails."
Old 10-15-2012   #147
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 3952 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think about giving Bryan Braman a chance at ILB? I think he has some unique athletic ability and certainly is a hustler. He can learn the position and hopefully provide us a spark at ILB.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2012   #148
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
What do you guys think about giving Bryan Braman a chance at ILB? I think he has some unique athletic ability and certainly is a hustler. He can learn the position and hopefully provide us a spark at ILB.
I like it.

But it doesn't address the problem up front. We need to get the majority of our pressure from the DL. If Braman is in at ILB, we'll have to rush him to get pressure on the QB, like we did with Cushing.

Barwin is playing the position that is designed to get the most QB pressures in this defense & it's just not working. We need an upgrade at that position.

But I still like Barwin, just not at WOLB. I don't want to take him off the field. I'd rather move him to SOLB where I think he is better suited.

But I still Like Reed, don't want to take him off the field. I'd rather move him inside to take Cushing's role. If he comes off the field in nickel situations... then it is what it is.

Let's give Braman some snaps with the 1st team defense at WOLB... or give Merci a few snaps there.

If we can start getting pressure from that spot, I believe everything will open up. He doesn't even have to be a bonafide bad ass, he's just got to get some kind of pressure which Barwin is not.

Jj Watt can't keep this up all season. He can't do it alone. Not against the QBs we're about to see.
Old 10-16-2012   #149
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been thinking about this as well for the past few days. Braman has the size, speed, quickness, toughness, and attitude for the ILB position. He might have some growing pains in the beginning but the experiment sure couldn't hurt and we need to find a way to get his attitude on the field.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I've been thinking about this as well for the past few days. Braman has the size, speed, quickness, toughness, and attitude for the ILB position. He might have some growing pains in the beginning but the experiment sure couldn't hurt and we need to find a way to get his attitude on the field.
I think that Braman does have the qualities that could allow him to ease into that position. Some experiments can be considered "off the wall." Under the circumstances, this one could have merit, especially as we should be thinking ahead for the future. A two-headed ILB monster with Cushing next year could be very intriguing.
Old 10-16-2012   #151
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Athletically I think Braman can play MLB....I don't know if he can actually play it simply because I haven't seen it....But that's a good idea...

Personally I'd like for both he and merci to spell Brooks and Barwin some but if he can get on the field at MLB I would like that too...
Old 10-16-2012   #152
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

*raises hand* Old look, please.
Old 10-16-2012   #153
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I mentioned it in the game thread but the third team defense really hit some people in the mouth & Braman was certainly in that mix. We will see how Texans adjust against Baltimore but if it doesn't get any better expect significant changes after Bye week.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I mentioned it in the game thread but the third team defense really hit some people in the mouth & Braman was certainly in that mix. We will see how Texans adjust against Baltimore but if it doesn't get any better expect significant changes after Bye week.
I think it's been said earlier. Aaron Rodgers was just on Sunday night, in a zone. I don't think Flacco is going to fare as well. I criticized our pass rush, saying we didn't get pressure on Rodgers, but the truth is that he simply played at another level. He got out of trouble several times & made things happen.

My biggest concern, is who is going to cover Jacoby Jones ? I think we did well last year, Jjo on Torry Smith, Kj on Anquan Boldin, & who ever their third receiver was.

But with Jjo & his issues, & McCain being vertically challenged... we really don't have an answer for two speedy WRs. Sure, Jacoby is probably going to help us out a bit, drop a ball here or there, & hopefully Jjo found magic in the bottle this week.

Then there is Pitta & they throw the ball to Leach a bit too.
Old 10-16-2012   #155
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Athletically I think Braman can play MLB....I don't know if he can actually play it simply because I haven't seen it....But that's a good idea...

Personally I'd like for both he and merci to spell Brooks and Barwin some but if he can get on the field at MLB I would like that too...
Maybe if Wade would let go of obsession with Bradie James.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #156
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if Braman at ILB is going to be a better option than James or Dobbins (or possibly even Ruud, yeeesh). From what I've seen at TC and preseason games they have him working as an OLB which is a fairly different animal in terms of responsibilities and how to play certain angles. I think he's got the physical traits that you would like, but him just plopping down and learning a different position will probably take significant work that you really don't want him doing OJT in games for, if you get what I'm saying.
Old 10-16-2012   #157
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm not sure if Braman at ILB is going to be a better option than James or Dobbins (or possibly even Ruud, yeeesh). From what I've seen at TC and preseason games they have him working as an OLB which is a fairly different animal in terms of responsibilities and how to play certain angles. I think he's got the physical traits that you would like, but him just plopping down and learning a different position will probably take significant work that you really don't want him doing OJT in games for, if you get what I'm saying.

I get what your saying, maybe it's an off season move for next year. I'm just thinking it's football not brain surgery especially at ILB where he's not going to cover anyone, that's for Cushing and our Safeties, or set the edge to redirect a RB, etc... He simply needs to play kill the man with the ball and blitz the QB when told to do so.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #158
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James

That would be our base

IDk, something similar
Looks like we did this some today and it worked well. We have 2 weeks to get reed comfortable in his new role.
Old 10-21-2012   #159
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Looks like we did this some today and it worked well. We have 2 weeks to get reed comfortable in his new role.
Barwin & Reed also switched a few times, putting Barwin at SOLB.... looked good.
Old 10-21-2012   #160
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Barwin & Reed also switched a few times, putting Barwin at SOLB.... looked good.
Yep...

I also saw dobbins out there in nickel some instead of bradie james

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read