Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #81
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
we're not suddenly a sinking ship. Players get hurt in the NFL.
The ship is at sea and surrounded by water, no? James has been unspectacular and Dobnins IS good in run support and BAD in coverage. I dont see how thats debatable to anyone who watches the games. If you want to take a positive outlook on things, kudos to you, but I remain skeptical about the position now until I see a solution on the field. Things are not disastrous suddenly, but we did just lose a probowler and one of the better backers in the game.

To many years of let down have caused me to remain cautious and never drunk on kolaide. This team is now weak up the middle. A playoff caliber offense will find ways to take advantage.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #82
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dobbins will surprise. He's probably just as bad as James in coverage, but he's much better in run support. James is just average/below average at everything.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #83
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
....but maybe with our struggles in run defense this might not hurt as bad as it looks.
I don't even seem to really recall either of our ILBs doing much pass rushing this season. Cushing was blitzing the QB pretty regularly last year, but I think Wade has been holding that back (for whatever reason) this year especially with how much pressure our DTs and OLBs have been getting so far this year.

Therefore, we're obviously losing some talent with Cushing being out for the year...but Dobbins is going to be a run stopping beast out there. So the ILB focus will be the same, but we're losing the intangibles that Cushing brings.

A guy like Dobbins, just because he hasn't ben featured heavily, he wants to go out there and show what he can do. And I think he will do a pretty good job. Plus, Wade will adapt and adjust things to compensate.
Old 10-10-2012   #84
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really interested to see how Wade adapts. I feel like we should go get an ILB that can cover because I don't think we've got one on the roster but maybe he is going to ask a safety to move into the ILB position on passing downs. The thought of Dobbins/James in a lot though begs for play action if you ask me.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #85
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I'm really interested to see how Wade adapts. I feel like we should go get an ILB that can cover because I don't think we've got one on the roster but maybe he is going to ask a safety to move into the ILB position on passing downs. The thought of Dobbins/James in a lot though begs for play action if you ask me.

Mike
I think that this is the most likely scenario with what is currently on the roster. Wade has been using a bunch of dime this year already to get an extra safety on the field.

This is likely to be meet with much resistance/screams of I'm not all here this morning, but could Keo be that close in coverage guy? Despite what we, the fans, may feel about him; Wade certainly likes him enough.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #86
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ's take:
Quote:
Barrett Ruud - Ruud has played inside in the 4-3 and started several years in Tampa. In his last stop where he actually played, he was with Tennessee. I watched his game against the Texans and he looked to have decent instincts, but didn’t show much quickness in getting to ball carriers. Ruud stayed in the game for all 3 downs against the Texans. Very average athlete.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
ILB Barrett Ruud, 6-2, 241, should help give them depth behind starters Tim Dobbins and Bradie James.
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
Ruud had 4 straight 100-tackle seasons from 2006-10 in TB. He'll help the #Texans try to replace Cushing at ILB
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #87
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was just cut by the Saints a couple days ago after being traded for a conditional draft pick from the Seahawks...

Makes me wonder if they cut him to save the draft pick given where they are heading with the 1-4 start.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2012   #88
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
LZ's take:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
I wish the Texans would have gone with LZ's trade options and gone after the 49ers ILB, Gooden. Maybe they did and the Niners were asking too much. I guess we'll see what Ruud can do.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #89
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

A 3rd round pick for Gooden? Hell no. He is one of the few guys I have seen look like hot garbage playing next to Ray Lewis. He lost his job to Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbe, two undrafted free agents. Good athlete but hasn't shown to be a good player as an ILB in the 3-4.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #90
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
A 3rd round pick for Gooden? Hell no. He is one of the few guys I have seen look like hot garbage playing next to Ray Lewis. He lost his job to Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbe, two undrafted free agents. Good athlete but hasn't shown to be a good player as an ILB in the 3-4.
He was an OLB asked to gain weight and transition inside. To ask a kid in his second year to make that transition and be effective for a playoff team was too much to ask. Ask 49er fans and they'll tell you he's made great strides playing inside. It isn't a plug and play league where you can just put guys in a spot and expect great results. It take time for some guys to develop into that role. There are some guys in the league where it never clicks for them until they're deep in their career. Just because a guys didn't tear up the league in his first couple of years doesn't mean its going to always be that way. We should know that out of all teams. E.G. Duane Brown, Kareem Jackson
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #91
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you say he has made great strides when he never gets on the field?
Old 10-10-2012   #92
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How can you say he has made great strides when he never gets on the field?
I have a friend who works for San Francisco. I honestly didn't know much about him until I called him up and asked. They trust him to do a great job should he be called upon to start. Evaluation isn't just done in regular season games. Practice and preseason also counts for something and it's a position that's taken him some time to get adjusted to. Not being able to get playing time because you have 2 of the best LBers in the league ahead of you isn't a knock on him.
Old 10-10-2012   #93
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

To many years of let down have caused me to remain cautious and never drunk on kolaide. This team is now weak up the middle. A playoff caliber offense will find ways to take advantage.
Because teams that win the superbowl have no flaws or weaknesses whatsoever. You'll never drink the kool-aide and will forever be looking for an excuse not to.
Old 10-10-2012   #94
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I have a friend who works for San Francisco. I honestly didn't know much about him until I called him up and asked. They trust him to do a great job should he be called upon to start. Evaluation isn't just done in regular season games. Practice and preseason also counts for something and it's a position that's taken him some time to get adjusted to. Not being able to get playing time because you have 2 of the best LBers in the league ahead of you isn't a knock on him.

I follow the Ravens pretty closely so I have seen him play. All he is is a good athlete. Doesn't play with instincts, not physical, won't do any of the dirty work on the inside. The guy was handed the starting job his 2nd season and was a complete nonfactor in a defense that is famous for making average players look good. You want to give a 3rd round pick for that when we traded DeMeco for a 4th round pick? lol
Old 10-10-2012   #95
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I follow the Ravens pretty closely so I have seen him play. All he is is a good athlete. Doesn't play with instincts, not physical, won't do any of the dirty work on the inside. You want to give a 3rd round pick for that when we traded DeMeco for a 4th round pick? lol
DeMeco's value was less because of his contract. If DeMeco had a more cap friendly deal then he would either still be a Texan or would have been traded for a higher pick.

As far as Gooden goes, I've already addressed why he struggled transitioning inside. Move Wade Smith to Left Tackle and see if he makes a smooth transition. Some guys need a change of scenery before they get it. I could list a ton of players who were considered terrible with one team only to thrive on another. I don't doubt that he wasn't very good with the Ravens, but their expectations of him were unrealistic. I can't say I watched him closely there, but I have seen him quite a bit in preseason and on special teams with the Niners. After talking with my friend I feel pretty confident in saying he's going to be a starter for someone in the league next year. A third may be too high, but i'm not a GM so we're all just throwing stuff out there. Not set in stone my dude.
Old 10-10-2012   #96
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Gooden is also a free agent after this season. Why give up a high round draft pick for what could possibly be a marginal rental player.
Old 10-10-2012   #97
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gooden is also a free agent after this season. Why give up a high round draft pick for what could possibly be a marginal rental player.
Ever heard of a conditional trade? Geez man it was a thought. If u don't agree cool but I'm not calling for Rick Smith get his his ass to Cali now.
Old 10-10-2012   #98
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You'll never drink the kool-aide and will forever be looking for an excuse not to.
Your right. I will never drink the kolaide because I see flaws and dont rely on blind faith. I can still appreciate the growth this team has made. It dosent make me any less a fan being cautiously optimistic then a fan whom stupidly jumps in head first.

Quote:
Because teams that win the superbowl have no flaws or weaknesses whatsoever.
Water is wet. Thanks confucious.
Old 10-10-2012   #99
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Your right. I will never drink the kolaide because I see flaws and dont rely on blind faith. I can still appreciate the growth this team has made. It dosent make me any less a fan being cautiously optimistic then a fan whom stupidly jumps in head first.

Water is wet. Thanks confucious.
Good thing you questioned your own fanhood rather than me doing it. Also, didn't get the last line.
Old 10-10-2012   #100
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good thing you questioned your own fanhood rather than me doing it. Also, didn't get the last line.
Last lines about you stating the obvious. Difference between you and I is that I form my own opinions rather then accepting things at face value. Losing cushing will not help this team right now. You can be an optomist or a pessimist however you like but if you dont understand that it may be in your best interest to watch tennis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read