Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2012   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Demeco gone. Cushing out. Here is our new unit for the rest of 2012:

Tim Dobbins
Bradie James
Mister Alexander
Darryl Sharpton

Can this unit be enough come January? Whats the status on Sharpton? Can we expect him to make an impact post injury? Where can we find an upgrade, if possible?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Demeco gone. Cushing out. Here is our new unit for the rest of 2012:

Tim Dobbins
Bradie James
Mister Alexander
Darryl Sharpton

Can this unit be enough come January? Whats the status on Sharpton? Can we expect him to make an impact post injury? Where can we find an upgrade, if possible?
Might make sense to add another reasonably high draft pick at ILB this year.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #3
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Yeah. Could be a first round pick.

Either that or RG-RT depending on how those young guys continue to look. I'd put ILB first priority though, even before the injury because James hasn't been that good IMO.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing is our TE and RB coverage guy as well. This is going to hurt us in the passing game a lot.
Old 10-09-2012   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A lot of us wanted one this past draft.

I think ILB becomes a weakpoint in the D. I am comfortable with Dobbins, but that is it out of that group. James, maybe. But the other guys are depth guys, and if they are seeing regular playing time, we are in trouble. Sharpton is still coming off an injury, and I was never high on him to begin with. Alexander is young and has potential, but he is still far from ready.

That said, I think Wade will cook up some stuff to lessen the weakness. But in my opinion the two weakest positions on the D are ILB and NT. Right up the gut. That is a problem.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Yeah. Could be a first round pick.

Either that or RG-RT depending on how those young guys continue to look. I'd put ILB first priority though, even before the injury because James hasn't been that good IMO.
A third or fourth rounder would probably do it. Cushing will return.

In the first I would love to see a really good nose tackle. Not that our current guys are terrible at that spot, but the Texans really have no glaring weaknesses at this point that demand a first round pick, and the NT position may well be the weakest position on the team.
Old 10-09-2012   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Cushing is our TE and RB coverage guy as well. This is going to hurt us in the passing game a lot.
When the D is in dime, which has been a bunch this year, Glover covers the TE usually.

Rotate the three; James, Dobbins and M. Alexander; and go with 3 linemen (Watt, the DT rotation, Smith), 3 backers (Brooks, Barwin and the ILB shuffle) and 5 dbs (KJ, JJo, Quin, Manning and Nolan/Ball).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012   #8
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In the first I would love to see a really good nose tackle. Not that our current guys are terrible at that spot, but the Texans really have no glaring weaknesses at this point that demand a first round pick, and the NT position may well be the weakest position on the team.
He will return but with major injuries like this you always have to ask if his performance will remain the same.

Although I wouldn't argue with a NT at all.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is a good point. Additionally, we can only have one ILB on the field in our nickel and dime packages, so whoever is the #2 ILB is not an everydown player.

The only issue for me here is that ILB has consistently been one of the easiest positions to draft. Very few 1st round ILBs turn out to be busts. DTs, on the other hand, are second only to QBs in bust potential. The Texans have not been good at drafting interior lineman.
Old 10-09-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 174792 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
A lot of us wanted one this past draft.

I think ILB becomes a weakpoint in the D. I am comfortable with Dobbins, but that is it out of that group. James, maybe. But the other guys are depth guys, and if they are seeing regular playing time, we are in trouble. Sharpton is still coming off an injury, and I was never high on him to begin with. Alexander is young and has potential, but he is still far from ready.

That said, I think Wade will cook up some stuff to lessen the weakness. But in my opinion the two weakest positions on the D are ILB and NT. Right up the gut. That is a problem.
I am looking at Kevin Minter LSU
if there in second. Would still take Andrew Jackson in 5th. Minter had 20 tackles & two sacks in losing to Florida. He cramped and left game for 20 minutes and could have been the difference. I also think your evaluation of current linebackers is correct.
Old 10-09-2012   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am looking at Kevin Minter LSU
if there in second. Would still take Andrew Jackson in 5th. Minter had 20 tackles & two sacks in losing to Florida. He cramped and left game for 20 minutes and could have been the difference. I also think your evaluation of current linebackers is correct.
Minter is a beast. I hate LSU, but Minter is fun to watch. Te'o is definitely the cream of the crop, but he should be gone before the Texans pick. Minter may be as well, but there is a shot.

As for Jackson, if he is not projected to go in the top couple rounds, then he should stay in school. He is only a junior, he has no reason to go. If he does declare, I think I would take him in the 3rd. He is definitely not going to be an ILB that can cover, but down around the LOS I think he could be one of the best.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #12
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Once we get Demps back I wouldn't mind seeing extra safeties (and no ILBs) on the field for the dime package assuming the distance is long enough.

Other than that, Dobbins is going to make his fair share of plays and I expect to see quite a bit of blitzing from our ILBs, both against the run and pass to compensate.
Old 10-09-2012   #13
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 248 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are yall worrying about the draft???
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #14
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc713 View Post
Why not?
Old 10-09-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 174792 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because some of us look beyond the very next game. It's fun and what we do.
Old 10-09-2012   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seasons over! 6-10!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because we are fans and that's what fans do.
Old 10-09-2012   #18
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 488 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll have to see it on the field. Nobody's going to replace Cushing, but I hope the defense steps up as a group to play even better than have been.
Old 10-09-2012   #19
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected

We drafted a LB last year. Not an ILB, granted, but if ILB does become an issue, should we try to get one of either Mercilus, Barwin, or Reed to play inside and allow the other two to play outside? None of the above are lacking in size or athletic ability.
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #20
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Time for our OLB's to step up their game! Barwin, Reed, Mercilous....Im looking at you....
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read