Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2012   #21
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Concerned....

We are 5-0. Getting the Jets at home after they got shillacked, well.. You see what we got and Im not surprised. I had a feeling it would be a battle.

The only thing I really got from this game is Cushings injury. ****.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #22
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My concern is Jonathan Joseph. He absolutely SUCKED tonight. I didn't think he played well in the last game either.
Not just this game, but here lately KJax looks like the best DB we got. People can hate all they want too, but put the KJax hatorade down for a minute and you will see I'm right. Dude has great coverage, in the right places now. I'm impressed with him big time.
Old 10-09-2012   #23
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Not just this game, but here lately KJax looks like the best DB we got. People can hate all they want too, but put the KJax hatorade down for a minute and you will see I'm right. Dude has great coverage, in the right places now. I'm impressed with him big time.
Patience is a virtue. Just because a player struggles in his first year or two does not make him a bust for all time. See also: Brown, Duane
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #24
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
We don't have WRs who can beat good corners. Most of the time, we get them open through our play designs. The Texan offense is about as well-structured as any in football. For the most part, those designs mask our limitations at WR. But if we get into a must-pass situation (where our play-action becomes irrelevant), I'm worried that we'll be exposed.

The biggest ongoing shortcoming of the Smithiak regime is the failure to develop any WRs outside of AJ and Walter. No other WR in the past seven years has come remotely closing to "getting it" in our system. It appears that age is catching up to AJ and Walter is who he is. We need our next generation to step up.
Very true Hooston. I know we have someone who can vreate some seperation. they need to step up before the playoffs.
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #25
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Patience is a virtue. Just because a player struggles in his first year or two does not make him a bust for all time. See also: Brown, Duane
I know that, I've been a huge KJax advocate. Just ask SteelblueTexan. We've had some words over his KJ hating, but we've come to terms since. I'm crow trapping right now, and he will be feasting by seasons end!
Old 10-09-2012   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Our passing game really concerns me, AJ was invisible and Cromartie is not that good. Martin has not shown up, thank god we had foster tonight. I hope jean comes back for the GB game, besides AJ (sometimes) the only other guy i feel confident in, in his limited time is Jean.

Maybe it was just a sloppy game, we did get the win but i'm not left feeling very confident after this game.

On the bright side we are 5-0
KW showed up tonight ... as did Casey & OD along with Foster ....

This offense is designed to take what the defense gives and not make mistakes. Two turnovers in 5 games ... all W's where different parts of the offense have beaten opposing defenses resulting in 5 W's.

You might stop one part but you arent going to stop all of AJ , Foster , OD , Casey and Walter.

The only way to shut down this offense is to make it beat itself with turnovers .... and Schaub isnt very turnover prone , he'll throw a ball away before allowing the defense to force a critical error.He's really an extension of Kubiak on the field in that aspect.

Only three teams have a better +/- in the turnover department than the Texans (NE , Chi and Atlanta). Of those four teams , all are atop (or tied) for their respective divisions.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #27
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

all ur points are good points but im not going to worry intill we lose our first game if we ever do lose Knocks on wood

but our ILB core scares me right now i hopeee cushing is ok
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012   #28
FR0497
Rookie

Rep Power: 268 FR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respected

The bye week can't get here fast enough. Dre and Joseph do not look healthy. Tate and Jean out. Let's hope we can hold up until week 8.
FR0497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
My only real concern right now has been the same one I have had for a few years. That's Kubiak. I don't want to say too much since we are 5-0 but again my doubts resurfaced tonight with those conservative calls at the end. I just don't like the playing not to lose play calls.

I am convinced that Wade is the one that has changed the culture of this team.

Anyway, that's all I am going to say right now.

Hopefully the guy proves me wrong and takes this team all the way to the finish line.
msr.
Old 10-09-2012   #30
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My only real concern right now has been the same one I have had for a few years. That's Kubiak. I don't want to say too much since we are 5-0 but again my doubts resurfaced tonight with those conservative calls at the end. I just don't like the playing not to lose play calls.

Hopefully the guy proves me wrong and takes this team all the way to the finish line.
I'm curious about your take on the last series of runs for no gain, -1, and -4. I know Kubiak takes a lot of crap for going conservative, but I thought the last drive was what needed to happen. You come out slinging it, maybe you get the first down and end the game in victory formation...maybe you throw an INT or leave the clock at 1:30 or more. Or, you trust your top 5 defense with less than 20 seconds to hold. Personally, I'm good with that last drive.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'm curious about your take on the last series of runs for no gain, -1, and -4. I know Kubiak takes a lot of crap for going conservative, but I thought the last drive was what needed to happen. You come out slinging it, maybe you get the first down and end the game in victory formation...maybe you throw an INT or leave the clock at 1:30 or more. Or, you trust your top 5 defense with less than 20 seconds to hold. Personally, I'm good with that last drive.
I agree with this. MSR

I don't understand how he could done anything different either. I don't understand how protecting the ball can be construed as "playing conservative" or "playing not to lose". Did you want him to throw it up, and risk an interception in their own territory, or what?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I'm not sold on Kubiak either, but I've been happier about the last two games than I've been all year. We're playing football & we're playing good football. I don't think that was conservative play-calling, I saw "smart" QB...... I didn't like that draw play on 3rd & forever, but.. I'm more concerned that Foster didn't get more than that little gain when they should have been expecting a 10+ yard pass.

I liked the screens, I liked going to the left often on running plays, would have liked to have gone right on at least one of the 3rd & 1s. I liked taking the shots downfield when present. I would have liked to have seen the endzone fade to Andre at least a couple of times, but overall, I'm more optimistic about this team than when the season started.

I also liked the reverse. & moving Casey everywhere.

I like Wade. But this team without Kubiak is the Miami Dolphins or the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Old 10-09-2012   #33
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I fail to understand how anyone can bash Kubiak for being too conservative on the last two possessions. We have the best running back in the NFL behind Matt Schaub, we're playing on the road with a lead, and some people expect to throw the ball instead? Huh? And risk a clock-stopping incompletion?

The Jets offense had done basically nothing against the Texans all night long. The only reason they were in the game at the end was because of Joe McKnight's kickoff return. Run the ball, run the clock, and show the Rex Ryan Jets what game-winning defense looks like.

I love it. The Texans don't need to get gimmicky or overly ballsy on offense to win games. This game was one we'd lose in the past, one of those all-too-familiar time of possession dominations that ended in a moral victory only. Except we won this time. This was a character-building win on the road on MNF against a desperate team.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
msr.
I got him for you, Herv. 320 points worth of rep, btw. All of it well-earned.

Kubiak is the lazy teenage son who does juuuust enough to get by, then wants somebody to bail him out when his ass is in a sling.

Wade's defense has basically allowed Kubiak's offense to have as many freaking do-overs as they want, and it's getting old. This offense is roughly 4 or 5 years ahead of the defense in terms of Kubiak having built the offense every year and giving it more and more detail as those years rolled by...meanwhile, Wade Phillips comes into the organization and in two years has the defense basically handing the game to our offense over and over.

I know some people are HUGE Kubiak fans here, whether it's the A&M thing or his haircut or whatever...but honestly I'm just seething at some of the bull**** play calling whenever we start within our own 10 yard line. And it doesn't matter what quarter it's in, if we get the ball within the 10, we're screwed. Period. There'll be three straight WTF? plays and a punt, and the opposing team's offense scores a damn TD off it. ****, might as well just go four downs and try to get out of that hole--After all, they other team is going to get the ball in good field position anyways!

And to add to this the fact that Marciano and Kubiak have Trindon Holliday continually putting us within our own 10? It's insanity. Pure insanity.
Old 10-09-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

When was the last time you watched our defense in the past two years, and you had some sort of disgusted reaction to what you saw our defense doing on the field...the positioning, the formations, the actual play call, etc?

Now ask yourself this: How many times have you watched the offense and wondered "Huh? Seriously? LOL. Ummm, okie dokie. Well, we need another stop by our defense here. Come on guys, get us the ball back!"

Exactly.

This offense should have so completely dismantled the Jets last night, it could have replicated the opening possession over and over...but of course, no that can't happen. But hey, that defense (even without Cushing and a gimpy JJo hobbling around out there) held the Jets to 10.

Kubiak and Marciano's crew allowed an easy 7 via Jacoby Amobi Holliday.
Old 10-09-2012   #36
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

We went for close to 400 yards and scored 23 points and this is the things we are worried about....
Had Schaub not short-armed the ball to Graham, we would have scored even more most likely. We had to settle for a couple of field goals that could have been td's.

Just not able to muster up any concern over the offense.
Old 10-09-2012   #37
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I got him for you, Herv. 320 points worth of rep, btw. All of it well-earned.

Kubiak is the lazy teenage son who does juuuust enough to get by, then wants somebody to bail him out when his ass is in a sling.

Wade's defense has basically allowed Kubiak's offense to have as many freaking do-overs as they want, and it's getting old. This offense is roughly 4 or 5 years ahead of the defense in terms of Kubiak having built the offense every year and giving it more and more detail as those years rolled by...meanwhile, Wade Phillips comes into the organization and in two years has the defense basically handing the game to our offense over and over.

I know some people are HUGE Kubiak fans here, whether it's the A&M thing or his haircut or whatever...but honestly I'm just seething at some of the bull**** play calling whenever we start within our own 10 yard line. And it doesn't matter what quarter it's in, if we get the ball within the 10, we're screwed. Period. There'll be three straight WTF? plays and a punt, and the opposing team's offense scores a damn TD off it. ****, might as well just go four downs and try to get out of that hole--After all, they other team is going to get the ball in good field position anyways!

And to add to this the fact that Marciano and Kubiak have Trindon Holliday continually putting us within our own 10? It's insanity. Pure insanity.
Right, because that 85 yard drive to start the game and that 70 yard drive that started on their own 6 and ate over 7 minutes off the clock is dumbass Kubiak with his BS play calling.

When you do have a defense like the Texans do, you can afford to not be as risky on offense sometimes and play for field position. They panic and try to push things, a ball gets tipped and picked, then you're pissed he tried to force his way out of there. Even on 3rd and long when they run draws, they'd rather try and change field position, trusting the D, instead of trying to force something where a mistake could be very costly. Dude just can't win with some of y'all, but that's ok as long as they keep winning games.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
When was the last time you watched our defense in the past two years, and you had some sort of disgusted reaction to what you saw our defense doing on the field...the positioning, the formations, the actual play call, etc?

Now ask yourself this: How many times have you watched the offense and wondered "Huh? Seriously? LOL. Ummm, okie dokie. Well, we need another stop by our defense here. Come on guys, get us the ball back!"

Exactly.

This offense should have so completely dismantled the Jets last night, it could have replicated the opening possession over and over...but of course, no that can't happen. But hey, that defense (even without Cushing and a gimpy JJo hobbling around out there) held the Jets to 10.

Kubiak and Marciano's crew allowed an easy 7 via Jacoby Amobi Holliday.
I have no problem with Kubiak game planning and play calling in general.

Anybody can second guess a certain call (including other ex-coaches), but overall, I believe that Kubiak's play-calling is pretty good to good.

It was clock management and some other things that I wanted him to improve over the years, and he has improved quite a bit as a coach.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #39
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

What is it with these "playing not to lose" and "conservative playcalling" blanket statements? If you're going to make these kinds of statements, following them up with some detail, such as what play was called, and what you would have done different in that particular situation, so that someone can tell what you're talking about.

But if you're just going to make those blanket statements and not give any reasons for making them, then that just reeks of lingering resentment that Kubiak is still the head coach, thereby making those blanket statements completely disingenuous.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #40
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

GP's mind-boggling critique of Kubiak's play-calling inside the ten is a weeeeee bit overstated, to say the least.

We've run the ball 19 times inside 10 yd line for 98 yds, or 5.1 ypc. On the passing side we're 4-7 for 39 yds, 5.6 ypa.

Additionally, there were six first downs the Texans gained on plays from inside their own ten. The offense is generating long, time-consuming drives that result in points, so this latest iteration of Kubiak-bashing is really a head-scratcher to this fan.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...order_by=yards
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read