Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who do you think would be our best #2 Wide Reciever
Jabar Gaffney 40 33.90%
Corey Bradford 19 16.10%
Jerome Mathis 33 27.97%
Derrick Armstrong 26 22.03%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2005   #1
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Mathis Could Replace Gaffney

Quote:
-- Mathis Could Replace Gaffney --
Tue May 31, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

CBS Sportsline reports Houston Texans coaches have raved about rookie WR Jerome Mathis, who has a chance to unseat veteran WR Jabar Gaffney as a starter. A fourth-round selection out of Hampton University, Mathis possesses incredible speed and could become a viable deep threat for quarterback David Carr in the pass attack. He might not have much value in drafts, but the speedster is one to watch as the regular season progresses.
If anything I would have thought that Mathis would be a third wideout but I don't think that he will beat out Gaffney. Who do you think would be the best number two wideout and post your comments.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

I think he'll beat put Bradford for his spot, i mean he's aging, hands arent very good.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in the future Mathis will be the Texans #2 but I don't want David to have to learn a new reciever next year. I like our corp of recievers and I believe they will do fine if David has time to throw the ball.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think bradford will be the number two guy swapping gaffney in and out regularly...mathis might pull a glenn earl and replace them both halfway through the season...but to start the season it will be bradford
Old 06-01-2005   #5
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

1) A. J.
2) Mathis/Armstrong
3) Armstrong/Mathis/Gaffney
4) Gaffney/Starling
5) Starling

I have my doubts about Bradford making the final roster.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #6
TexasAggie
Rookie

I agree Bradford will have a hard time making the team. The Texans F.O. did not want him for anything more than the league minimum.
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The problem for Bradford is we have a lot of younger guys with more potential waiting to get playing time, and he isn't significantly better than any of them other than experience, which is why they need the PT.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2005   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

bradford will be here this year. hopefully he'll play better since he'll be a free agent next year if i'm correct.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree , gaffney will be our #2. but it'll be bradford and armstrong battling for #3. mathis and starling can battle for #4. also, i wouldn't look past sloan thomas. i haven't heard much about him lately, but he may make the team and battle for that #4 spot.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #10
mes311
Rookie

hopefully he'll play better since he'll be a free agent next year if i'm correct.

He was a free agent after last year too, and he didn't play any better.
Old 06-01-2005   #11
mes311
Rookie

Swinton was signed as a kick returner also. He could battle for the 5th spot or maybe be the sixth guy.
Old 06-02-2005   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Mathis is a guy like Bernard Berrian who David threw to in college. I think Mathis could be one of the biggest surprises this year. David likes to hit the quick elusive receiver with good hands with short passes. It gives the receiver a big advantage when he can take a missle from the QB as it gives the receiver the extra time and separation necessary to break away from the defenders. The defense has a harder time setting up against that type of attack particularly if the QB and the receiver can capitalize on the defense cheating.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #13
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Mathis will be our DD of the 2005 draft and he'll be starting at number 2 if hes good and consistent and if Gaffney doesn't improve.
Old 06-02-2005   #14
jwag630
Rookie

Mathis will probably be better suited for the third spot behind Gaffney and in front of Bradford at least for his rookie year.
jwag630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradford will IMO, start out as the #2wr. It's the speed and experience thing. IF and it is a big if for a rookie, Mathis shows he can run routs well and catch the ball, he MIGHT wind up as the #2 by the end of the season. Gaff just doesn't have #2 speed. However, with the shorter timing routs that may not be as much of an issue as it has been. Gaff runs good routs, has good hands and can get open. The very same thing can be said for Armstrong also. It will be interesting to see if the posession type recievers become more important in the shorter rout, timing, quick deleiver scheme.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think Mathis could be one of the biggest surprises this year.
You think or you hope ? I hope you're right, but so far to me Mathis is still just a track guy on the football field. What he may or may not have done at Hampton doesn't meant squat, because that level of competition is so far
beneath what he'll see in the NFL there's really no way to accurately measure his ability to compete effectively at the higher level. When we start to see him in some preseason games against real NFL corners, then we may get an inkling of any upside he might have.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I hope you're right, but so far to me Mathis is still just a track guy on the football field.
I don't want to get into a level of competition debate, but the "track guy on the football field" description of players is overused IMO. This isn't some guy (Corey Bradford--one year of college ball prior to going to the NFL) who didn't play football and was spotted on the track team and asked to come play speedy wideout. Mathis has played football back through HS including being an all-state WR and KR. Just because a player also runs track doesn't make them a track guy--for ex. Andre Johnson.
Old 06-02-2005   #18
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

MY predictions - IMO think the Texans will carry 6 receivers next year. Palmer will put in the 5 receiver formations this year. Gaffney will stay at #2 as he is our second best possession receiver. Bradford will stay at #3 but split time with Mathis. Mathis and Starling will split time/compete at the #5 WR spot all year long. Mathis will return kickoffs or punts this year and get experience this year. NExt year Bradford will be let go and Mathis and Starling will battle out for #3 spot.

A sad but true factoid - Most of this is made possible by the subtraction of JJ moses from roster.
Old 06-02-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
MY predictions - IMO think the Texans will carry 6 receivers next year. Palmer will put in the 5 receiver formations this year. Gaffney will stay at #2 as he is our second best possession receiver. Bradford will stay at #3 but split time with Mathis. Mathis and Starling will split time/compete at the #5 WR spot all year long. Mathis will return kickoffs or punts this year and get experience this year. NExt year Bradford will be let go and Mathis and Starling will battle out for #3 spot.

A sad but true factoid - Most of this is made possible by the subtraction of JJ moses from roster.
Think you forgot Armstrong from the equation.
Old 06-02-2005   #20
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Yep Cak - I left out the #4 Receiver Armstrong as I feel he has solidified his position allready on the squad as the #4 guy and #3 possesion guy behind Andre and Gaffney.

I figure when the team goes to the "Hands" basic set - AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong and Miller come in. All Possession guys and Armstrong has decent enough speed to be the #3 guy in the set.

I figure when they go to the fly set [5 receivers] It looks like this AJ, Gaffney, Bradford, Armstrong, Mathis/Starling.

I figure Armstrong to be subbing in for Gaffney more than any other guy on the squad as he has almost as good hands.

What will be interesting to see is how many times they go to the hands set since we are going to be using more short dumps and timing routes this year on the Offense.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-02-2005 at 09:29 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read