Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2005   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kyle Turley: Would you want him?

One website I read suggested that he might be a June 1 casualty. If he's cut & can pass a physical, would you sign him? He's only 29 years old & prior to last year, had only missed one game in the previous 6 years. He's got the kind of fire that this team needs & should have no problem taking over a leadership role on the Texans. He could be our starting LT & also has the versatility of playing RT as well. Would he be worth a shot, or would he be too much trouble?
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

turley plans do shift to the defensive line. so no, i don't see the texans pursuing him. plus, he might not ever play again.
Old 06-01-2005   #3
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

There would be no harm in bringing him in to help our line, because its not like we have the best OL in the history of the NFL.
Old 06-01-2005   #4
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

turley is trying to move to the DL so he can play at a lesser weight, around 280. there is as more of a chance of turley playing OL for the texans than of me rooting for the girls.
Old 06-01-2005   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

That's right. Cuts are today. This may delay the Shelton deal a couple of days.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The last time Turley tried to play LT he gave up 13.5 sacks on the season and had more penalties than Wand. Plus, he is vastly underweight/condition right now and doesn't even want to play OL anymore. The grass is not always greener.
Old 06-01-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I trust that if we sign Shelton, Turley wont even get close to us nor we him.
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2005   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He WAS a good RT, but we already have one of those in Wade. If Wiegert and Wade stay healthy this season, we should be okay on the right side of the line.

I would like to see Pitts stay at LG and continue to learn that position. He needs to stay in one place and develop. I think most of us realize that we don't have the players we want at LT and C. Until we have at least an average LT, we will have consistency issues offensively.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
He WAS a good RT, but we already have one of those in Wade. If Wiegert and Wade stay healthy this season, we should be okay on the right side of the line.

I would like to see Pitts stay at LG and continue to learn that position. He needs to stay in one place and develop. I think most of us realize that we don't have the players we want at LT and C. Until we have at least an average LT, we will have consistency issues offensively.
We have an average LT. I challenge you to name 20 LT's you would rather have than Wand- not to mention the fact that he's still learning/improving. The impatience of the people on this board is astounding.

Other than Freeney, I don't recall one defensive end coming totally free into Carr. Wand sent men wide often and held his ground pretty well. Most of those 15 sacks occured because of pocket pressure that forced Carr into the RDE (usually the team's best rusher), not because Wand got abused. He was sometimes overmatched but was hardly ever outright beaten.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #10
Mr Shush
Veteran

Regardless of talent, condition, where he wants to play and anything else, I would not want a guy with Turley's attitude anywhere near my team.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Isn't Turley's back wrecked? I mean even when he was health a couple of years ago he let Warner get killed.
Old 06-01-2005   #12
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think it was more Martz's all-round philosophy that got Warner killed than anything else.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #13
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
Regardless of talent, condition, where he wants to play and anything else, I would not want a guy with Turley's attitude anywhere near my team.
I dont want him because physically he can't play on the offensive line anymore his back is shot he has said this. If he was his former self and had attitude issues I say so what. We are here to win games nothing more. Look Lawence Taylor had issues, so did Leon Lett, Michel Irvin, and on and on. Having choir boys is fine when you are an expansion team. That is over now it is time to win.
Old 06-01-2005   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Wouldn't it be ironic that the man that discovered Chester Pitts in a grocery store and got Pitts into playing football would end up lining next to him on the same team?
Old 06-01-2005   #15
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

No, we do not need Kyle Turley... not now,and not ever.

He has played for too many losers. Besides how many people would agree with me that anybody that plays for more than a couple of seasons with the Saints is d'ain br'amaged.

So you have to ask at the point that as our talent level rises- we should have a TEAM comprised of people that know how to win.

Old 06-01-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't want him when he was healthy. I sure don't want him now.
Old 06-01-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Turley has been a cancer everywhere he has been. I don't think we even consider him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
I challenge you to name 20 LT's you would rather have than Wand.
These are the 22 that I KNOW are better than Wand right now. There might actually be more:

Matt Light New Eng.
Jason Fabini Jets
Jonathan Ogden Balt
Levi Jones Cinci
Ross Verba Cleve
Marvel Smith Pitt
Tarik Glenn Indi
Brad Hopkins Tenn
Matt Lepsis Denver
Willie Roaf KC
Barry Sims Oakland
Roman Oben San Diego
Flozell Adams Dallas
Tra Thomas Philly
Chris Samuels Wash
Jeff Backus Detroit
Chad Clifton Green Bay
Bryant McKinnie Minnesota
Wayne Gandy New Orleans
Leonard Davis Arizona
Orlando Pace St. Louis
Walter Jones Seattle
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
These are the 22 that I KNOW are better than Wand right now. There might actually be more:

Matt Light New Eng.
Jason Fabini Jets
Jonathan Ogden Balt
Levi Jones Cinci
Ross Verba Cleve
Marvel Smith Pitt
Tarik Glenn Indi
Brad Hopkins Tenn
Matt Lepsis Denver
Willie Roaf KC
Barry Sims Oakland
Roman Oben San Diego
Flozell Adams Dallas
Tra Thomas Philly
Chris Samuels Wash
Jeff Backus Detroit
Chad Clifton Green Bay
Bryant McKinnie Minnesota
Wayne Gandy New Orleans
Leonard Davis Arizona
Orlando Pace St. Louis
Walter Jones Seattle
I'll take "Left Tackles that won't be available to the Houston Texans on opening day" for $1000 Alex!

Quite true I'm sure. I didn't think it would be that hard to find 20 guys better than Seth Wand, at least the 2004 version of Seth Wand.

I'm curious though whether any of the guys on your list have less experience than Seth or a similar amount of experience? Just wondering. I'd call last year his rookie season for all intents and purposes and I admit I'm not familiar with everyone up there (obviously the big names stand out). What did these guys, who are all better than Seth Wand, look like in their rookie season?
Old 06-01-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Ross Verba is nothing more than a warmed over Guard and Wand as potential to be as good as probably 40% - 50% of that list. I don't see many second year starters on your list. Funny how the Texans fans cannot conceive that Wand will get better with coaching and time in the weight program like other young players.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read