Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-04-2012   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Theismann says Romo “isn’t that good”

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
One more than Romo. Who knows, if Romo lasts 15 years, perhaps he can join the group. There have been some with less talent that did.
Theismann made it to another SB and won many playoff games. Even before Theismann was the starting QB he returned punts and held for extra points. You didn't see Theismann mishandling snaps on FG attempts in the playoffs like Romo did.

Theismann has as many rings as Romo has playoff wins. Romo is this generations Moon. Screws up at the most inoppurtune times, cant string together great games in the playoffs and generally likes being Romo the celebrity instead of honing his craft. Just like Moon did.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Theismann made it to another SB and won many playoff games.
Many? The Redskins made it to the playoffs three years with Theismann. Theismann got four playoff wins and his ring in the strike shortened season. The next year they returned to the SB and were historically crushed scoring no TD's and beaten by the largest point spread ever. Other than the strike year he was 2-2 in the playoffs.
Old 10-04-2012   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Young completely disagreed with Theisman on yesterday's NFL Live, so there's some balance to HoF QBs with rings to even things out. And Young does not have a built-in anti-Cowboy bias.

Y'all know that I'm far from a Cowboys fan, but I am a fan of the NFL. I think Romo on a better team would be considered much better than he is with this Dallas team. As long as Jones is the GM, Romo might always flounder with that roster. That franchise's fundamental problem is not QB, it's the GM.
Old 10-04-2012   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Many? The Redskins made it to the playoffs three years with Theismann. Theismann got four playoff wins and his ring in the strike shortened season. The next year they returned to the SB and were historically crushed scoring no TD's and beaten by the largest point spread ever. Other than the strike year he was 2-2 in the playoffs.
Theismann has a better playoff record than Romo and Moon combined.

Theismann is not a HOF'er but he was better than you give him credit for.

Would you take Theismann in his prime over Romo? Stats aside I would take Theismann over Romo and for that matter Moon any day and twice on Sunday. Theismann was a clutch QB. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Couple of other statistics:

Top 10 QBs in NFL history by passer rating:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Steve Young+
3. Tom Brady
4. Tony Romo
5. Philip Rivers
6. Peyton Manning
7. Kurt Warner
8. Drew Brees
9. Matt Schaub
10. Ben Roethlisberger

Not saying that proves anything, but those are some good names he's surrounded by (No all time great QBs on there because the league wasn't so pass happy back then)

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...ing_career.htm
So would anybody take Romo over the any of the other 9 QBs on the above list? Because for me, if I had to chose between just those 10 QBs to lead my team Romo would be last. That's not factoring in the several QBs not on that list that I would most certainly take before Romo.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #46
fmdog44
Rookie

He is not consistant. Like Cutler for the Bears he can shine one week and collapse the next. So how do you remedy it? You don't.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Theismann has a better playoff record than Romo and Moon combined.

Theismann is not a HOF'er but he was better than you give him credit for.

Would you take Theismann in his prime over Romo? Stats aside I would take Theismann over Romo and for that matter Moon any day and twice on Sunday. Theismann was a clutch QB. IMHO
He has a better playoff win percentage. Not sure I would say he has a better playoff record.

On a team with one of the best OL's of its time with a run 1st and play D character, i.e. the pressure is not on the QB, Theisman got to the playoffs 2.5 times (I know it's 3).

On teams centered around an aerial attack, i.e. the pressure is on the QB, Moon got to the playoffs 7 times. I'm taking Moon in a heartbeat.
Old 10-04-2012   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering that the Joe Gibbs led Redskins wons three Super Bowls with three different QBs, I'd say it was the team and system that made those QBs into champions more than the QBs putting the teams on their backs to win.

I'm not diminishing Theisman's accomplishments in the NFL, but those Redskins teams were power teams more than they were anything close to resembling QB finesse teams.
Old 10-04-2012   #49
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Considering that the Joe Gibbs led Redskins wons three Super Bowls with three different QBs, I'd say it was the team and system that made those QBs into champions more than the QBs putting the teams on their backs to win.

I'm not diminishing Theisman's accomplishments in the NFL, but those Redskins teams were power teams more than they were anything close to resembling QB finesse teams.
Those teams had QBs?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #50
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing wrong IMHO, with a non-elite QB who learns/is taught a system to the point where he wins a lot despite not having truly elite talent. I wasn't around in Theisman's era but I can tell you I see plenty of QB's around the current NFL who could get/have got multiple rings who aren't exactly the greatest physically.

A heck of a lot comes down to the mental side and learning to manage the system.

Rivers, Romo, Eli, Schaub, Cutler for instance, all those guys are nothing special physically, all of them could lead their team to the big one if they were in the right system.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #51
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He has a better playoff win percentage. Not sure I would say he has a better playoff record.

On a team with one of the best OL's of its time with a run 1st and play D character, i.e. the pressure is not on the QB, Theisman got to the playoffs 2.5 times (I know it's 3).

On teams centered around an aerial attack, i.e. the pressure is on the QB, Moon got to the playoffs 7 times. I'm taking Moon in a heartbeat.
Moon could definitely beat any of them.
Old 10-04-2012   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still a Romo fan. The guy is running for his life too often, due to weak O-line & poor route running. Tries too hard to win on his own.

He has improved over the years, but I can't but think if he had a real QB mentor like Kubiak for those times that he'd be highly thought of.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #53
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Rivers, Romo, Eli, Schaub, Cutler for instance, all those guys are nothing special physically, all of them could lead their team to the big one if they were in the right system.
Romo is asked to carry the load more than the rest of the QBs you listed, though Rivers has had to step up after LT left.

The Boys have a good RB now, not sure why Garrett doesn't feed him the rock more often.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Those teams had QBs?
Joe Theismann, Mark Rypien, Jay Schroeder, Doug Williams -- what's not to love? A bunch of extremely talented QBs with skill sets to rival anyone who has ever played the game.

Oh.

Wait.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #55
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEastwood View Post
I'd put Romo on Schaubs's level or maybe a little below. If you put the pieces around him and get a good line, he'll win more then he loses imo. If Jerra just keeps on adding the sexy wr and rb picks, and continues to neglect the oline then this is what you get; A QB that tries to do too much to overcome the pressure the dline puts on him. Leading to a ton of mistakes (ints and fumbles).

Romo and Cutler do more with less protection than anyother QBs in the league imo. That being said, I'd much rather have Schaub with this team. Schaub has gotten better and better at protecting the ball in his career. He's learned that with this team, it's better to just throw the ball away than try to force something. Romo seems to have never learned that. Romo has a good defense and a good running game (when Garret remembers to run). If he'd just learn not to try to force passes he'd be good.
Yeah, but at the same time, I would like to ser Schaub gain four or five yards on a scramble and first down, instead of throwing it away
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Romo is asked to carry the load more than the rest of the QBs you listed, though Rivers has had to step up after LT left.

The Boys have a good RB now, not sure why Garrett doesn't feed him the rock more often.
Because the offensive line is terrible. Murray can't get any yards.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #56
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Joe Theismann, Mark Rypien, Jay Schroeder, Doug Williams -- what's not to love? A bunch of extremely talented QBs with skill sets to rival anyone who has ever played the game.

Oh.

Wait.

Doug Williams was a hell of a QB and a winner. Tampa Bay's didn't do squat till he got there and he took those sad sacks to the playoffs and he took the Redskins to the SB. He wasn't a product of Joe Gibb's system as Rypien and Schroeder was.

as far as Romo goes...I've said in the past that Romo is overrated. Still think that way.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #57
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post

Totally agree, the point I was making was that I don't see much difference in the QB, I see a difference in the coaching, the system. The ability to hand it off to the RB, and as GB has stated, the ability of the Oline in front of him, is down to the coaches as well.

I'd frankly take any of the QB's I mentioned in this system, with the number of years Schaub has had, and I don't think any of them would have any problems handling it.

Thats not me putting Schaub down, I rate all those guys pretty highly but they've had problems not of their making IMHO.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #58
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Doug Williams was a hell of a QB and a winner.
I agree.
Quote:
Tampa Bay's didn't do squat till he got there and he took those sad sacks to the playoffs
They were horrible before he came and after he left until Dungy became coach. Before Dungy, their biggest rival and must win game was against the Saints.
Quote:
and he took the Redskins to the SB.
I remember how he started out slow and stepped up and just took that SB. I read in his book that he had a horrible toothache/abcess upon arriving for the SB, and was in severe pain the entire trip.

Quote:
as far as Romo goes...I've said in the past that Romo is overrated. Still think that way.
I respectfully disagree.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #59
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

The only story here is why did it take Theismann so long to figure out Romo isnt that good.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #60
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
The only story here is why did it take Theismann so long to figure out Romo isnt that good.
To be fair he has played some games with Hall of Fame quality.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read