Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2012   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I don't think they want to keep him out for 8 weeks if he doesn't have an 8 week injury.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Right, which is even more of a reason they'd want to use it on a guy they could afford to sit for 8 weeks rather than a guy they'd want back asap.

I can see the argument that they'd rather wait until week 6-8 to use it if they need to so they could have a full roster of players for the meat of the season and they guy that was out would be back right in time for play offs.

But the saving it for an important player argument doesn't make any sense to me. What exactly are you gaining by saving it for a more important player that may or may not get injured?

Nothing.

In fact you'd potentially be losing a roster spot for nothing if that hypothetical more important player never gets injured.

If you use the rule on demps you can add Nolan without cutting anyone. That gives you time to think and evaluate who you will cut when demps is back healthy and all the while you still operating with a full set of players.

If another guy gets injured later but not season ending, oh well, a bubble player might get cut. But I don't see how it matters in regards to the actual player getting injured. Hence me repeatedly saying saving it for a more important player doesn't make sense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not going to use the Texans as an example because... well... that's tempting fate.

So, let's say the Bears have their right guard go down because of a hangnail and he's going to be out for 6-8 weeks. They've got 4 options:
1) Stick him on the regular IR -- gone for the season, but you can sign a replacement.
2) Keep him on the roster as an inactive but this means you have to cut someone to sign a replacement.
3) Do an IR/Injury Settlement cut, which loses the guy from the team totally but allows him to play with some other team later. The player can force this if they want to play and don't want to go on IR. You can sign a replacement this way without having to cut anyone.
4) Stick him on the newfangled IR, sign his replacement, and then cut someone else when he becomes available.

But then what if Matt Forte, Brian Urlacher, Jay Cutler, Michael Bush, and Brandon Marshall all go down for 6 weeks?

But ultimately, you're right. If you've got that many injuries, it doesn't matter who you use this on as long as they're REALLY going to be back in 6 weeks. You probably don't want to waste it on someone who's going to take a year to come back. You're going to have to manage your roster the same way, with some of those guys stashed as inactives until they heal up. You'll have to cut from areas where you have "surplus" depth and sign the depth for these positions as you need them.
First of all your number 2 is flawed. You don't have to sign anyone. You could always just activate a guy that has not been active.

For instance, if the texans thought ball could fill in for demps they could just activate Harris and not sign anyone.

But my guess is that they weren't comfortable with relying on ball or keo playing extended minutes or crunch time minutes so they went out and got a guy that knows the system already and they figured wouldn't embarrass them.

Also, your scenario has more to do with timing and length of injury than it does with the importance of the player.

Replace Matt forte or jay cutler with some back up dt that is heavy in the rotation and the situation is still the same.

Quote:
Well, besides being screwed, you're going to have to make some hard decisions about who you inactivate and who you sign to the 53 to replace them.

Which further proves my point that the importance of the player has nothing to do with it. What you are describing here is how it would affect bubble players.

This rule is made to benefit the ball club so they don't have to cut anyone right away and can have an extra way to stash a player.

The importance of the player doesnt matter. They are going to be out, and then they'll come back when they can play. The end.
Old 10-02-2012   #63
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nolan a Texan again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
First of all your number 2 is flawed. You don't have to sign anyone. You could always just activate a guy that has not been active.

For instance, if the texans thought ball could fill in for demps they could just activate Harris and not sign anyone.

But my guess is that they weren't comfortable with relying on ball or keo playing extended minutes or crunch time minutes so they went out and got a guy that knows the system already and they figured wouldn't embarrass them.
They signed Nolan which indicates that they're not comfy with that.

So the question is: What's the next step? Do they cut someone or do they IR someone? Because right now, we've got 54 bodies for 53 slots.

Quote:
Also, your scenario has more to do with timing and length of injury than it does with the importance of the player.

Replace Matt forte or jay cutler with some back up dt that is heavy in the rotation and the situation is still the same.
Which is why I was saying you were right.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #64
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I just want to say how happy i am that ...

We resigned Troy Nolan. I was so dissapointed and shocked when he was cut in the first place. I think he has the ability to be a starter in this league, has the speed and big play ability.

NOW hopefully he can stick with the team and we can start a healthy Safety rotation to keep all the guys fresh. I didnt worry much with Demps in, but Keo back there Scared the **** out of me. Just happy to see Nolan on the team again .
Old 10-03-2012   #65
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I just want to say how happy i am that ...

^^^^My sentiments exactly.^^^^

Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-04-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #66
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Really comfortable bringing Nolan back and won't be worried to see him out on the field.
Old 10-04-2012   #67
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
This is an if, and a big IF, but we COULD release Beck.

Since he is third string, and it wouldn't disrupt the main scheme of things.

I guess we will see.

UPDATE: I'm listening to 610 right now, they might put him on temporary IR, which means we wouldn't need to cut anybody.

Once again, we will wait until we hear a word from Texans camp.
From HT.com...
Quote:
10/03/2012Signed S Troy Nolan. Released QB John Beck.
This makes sense because if Schaub gets injured, we can re-sign Beck immediately as a backup to Yates.

I guess we give you partial credit for calling this since you put it out there
...but not with a lot of conviction
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012   #68
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a fan of this signing. Would MUCH rather have seen Pleasant or Harris get a shot.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #69
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
From HT.com...

This makes sense because if Schaub gets injured, we can re-sign Beck immediately as a backup to Yates.

I guess we give you partial credit for calling this since you put it out there
...but not with a lot of conviction
Well I suggested that a day before he was released. That is why I quoted myself. lol

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #70
Rey
Hall of Fame

Default Re: I just want to say how happy i am that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
We resigned Troy Nolan. I was so dissapointed and shocked when he was cut in the first place. I think he has the ability to be a starter in this league, has the speed and big play ability.

NOW hopefully he can stick with the team and we can start a healthy Safety rotation to keep all the guys fresh. I didnt worry much with Demps in, but Keo back there Scared the **** out of me. Just happy to see Nolan on the team again .
I think I feel the same way although he let me down with his play in that last pre season game.

I don't know if he felt that he was going to be cut and just wasn't all in or what, but I have liked him a lot ever since he was in college...

No offense to Demps, but I hope Nolan (or really any of the back up safeties) takes his spot. That means that they are playing well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read