Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Contender/Pretender

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
This early in the season I thought it would be a good time to play 'Contender or Pretender'. There are a few teams getting out to a hot start that I'm not quite buying this early in the season, as well as quite a few unexpected teams struggling early. I'll list a few teams and if you guys would just respond Contender/Pretender...

Minnesota - 3-1 (beat SF, Jac, Det)
Arizona - 4-0 (beat Sea, Mia, Phi, NE)
New YorkJ - 2-2 (beat Buffalo, Mia)
Buffalo - 2-2 (beat Cle, KC)
Green Bay - 2-2 (beat NO, Chi)
Detroit - 1-3 (Are they finished already?)
Cincinnati - 3-1 (beat Cle, Jac, Was)
Washington - 2-2 (beat TB, NO)

This early in the season I thought it would be a good time to play 'Contender or Pretender'. There are a few teams getting out to a hot start that I'm not quite buying this early in the season, as well as quite a few unexpected teams struggling early. I'll list a few teams and if you guys would just respond Contender/Pretender...

Man, this is tough. I'm going to say Cincy, Green Bay, and Arizona are definitely contenders. Cincy made the playoffs last year so you can't rule them out. Green Bay doesn't look as dominant as they have the past few years, but they're still dangerous. Arizona has beat quality teams in NE, Seattle, and Philly. That's very impressive.

Not so sure about Minnesota yet. I think the Jets are done, especially with Revis out. They got beat badly today. Buffalo looks overrated and Detroit seems to find good ways to lose.

Minnesota - 3-1 (beat SF, Jac, Det) Contender
Arizona - 4-0 (beat Sea, Mia, Phi, NE) Contender
New YorkJ - 2-2 (beat Buffalo, Mia) Contender
Buffalo - 2-2 (beat Cle, KC) Pretender...which saddens me
Green Bay - 2-2 (beat NO, Chi) Contender
Detroit - 1-3 (Are they finished already?) Pretender
Cincinnati - 3-1 (beat Cle, Jac, Was) Contender
Washington - 2-2 (beat TB, NO) Pretender

i beleive once the jets start TIm tebow the Tebow Magic will start up in the NYC ....ugh i can see it now it will be wall to wall coverage

Minnesota - 3-1 (beat SF, Jac, Det)contender
Arizona - 4-0 (beat Sea, Mia, Phi, NE)pretender
New YorkJ - 2-2 (beat Buffalo, Mia)pretender
Buffalo - 2-2 (beat Cle, KC)pretender
Green Bay - 2-2 (beat NO, Chi)contender
Detroit - 1-3 (Are they finished already?)not sure
Cincinnati - 3-1 (beat Cle, Jac, Was)contender
Washington - 2-2 (beat TB, NO)um.... contender

Thats what I see.

One glaring stat that screams pretender about the Cardinals is their QB's are sacked at a higher percentage of drop back attempts than any team in the NFL ....

Minnesota Im not sold on yet .... The win against the 49ers gives them some credability.

Ny Jets - Pretender. Bad QB play , no playmakers and a loon for a coach ....

Buffalo - Pretender that can win or lose any game they play.

Green Bay .... Hard to call them pretenders. But they dont look anything like the teams that have dominated the NFC North in recent years.

Detriot - Pretender. They remind me of the 2010 Texans just finding a way to lose despite their talent. They have to go thru some growing pains.

Cincy - Contender. They can play with anyone. Dalton is the real deal.

Washington - Im on the fence. RG3 is a hell of a player but still makes some rookie mistakes. That defense has lost some key pieces already.

Philly - Pretender. Lots of talent that just doesnt mesh.

Pretender - Minnesota, Arizona, NYJ, Buffalo, Detroit, Cincy, Washington

Contender - GB

Not buying any of those teams, while I believe that GB is still a top 2 team in the NFC and burdened with a horse**** record. They're 3-1 in my eyes.

The only debate I even had was Cincy, but I still regard them as a last wildcard team at best, and I have my doubts even there.

Minnesota - Pretender - average to above average team, no playoffs for them this year

Arizona - Pretender - much worse than their record indicates, no playoffs this year

New YorkJ - Pretender - but does have the ability to show up once in a while, no playoffs for them this year either

Buffalo - Contender - does have the talent necessary to compete, but I don't think they have enough to make the playoffs

Green Bay - Contender - a much better team than their record indicates

Detroit - Pretender - has a lot of talent, but this team is a disarrayed mess

Cincinnati - Contender - good team, we might just play them in the playoffs again this year

Washington - Pretender - has talent, RGIII is good, but this team isn't making the playoffs this year

Back