Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2012   #1
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ...132 yards away from 10,000

6th fastest player in NFL history....

The boy is a beast, to bad he missed most of last season. I hope he can play 5-6 more seasons and get way up there on the list, where he currently ranks 32nd all time in nfl history in recieving yards.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...c-b725ead23ee0
Old 09-28-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ...132 yards away from 10,000

On pace for 1130 yard season for AJ and 4,000 yards for Schaub.
Old 09-28-2012   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

if he sticks around, dre's going to be pretty high up there in the yardage category. what i'd like to see is a breakout touchdown season to match his other gaudy totals and help his hall of fame bid. he looked good early last year, and has two already this year - hopefully it's a sign that he's going to be in the endzone a whole lot more.
Old 09-29-2012   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Just out or curiosity, I wanted to see a couple points of reference from other players.

Anquan Boldin has the current records, if you call them that, for fastest player to 300, 400, 500, and 600 receptions. He hit those marks at 47 games, 67 games, 80 games, and 98 games, respectively. He hit 707 receptions to finish last season, at 125 games. He has 55 TDs. AJ is sitting at 125 games right now, through week 3 of the season, and has 719 catches and 54 TDs. AJ has more yardage and accordingly, more yards per game. Overall, their stats are very close.

Torry Holt was the fastest player to both 10000 and 11000 yards. He hit those marks at 116 and 130 games. That's approximately 84.6 yards per game, which eclipses AJ's current average by almost 6 yards per game. Holt played 10 years and racked up 869 receptions for 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns. That's 14.57 yards per catch, compared to AJ's 13.7 yards per catch. Or, if you prefer, AJ's post-Carr average of 14.49 yards per catch.

What does any of this mean? Nothing for now, just offers a point of reference. But I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in. There are very deserving WRs right now sitting on the sidelines that should be in, watching their accomplishments get watered down with each passing year. AJ's going to have to keep this up for a while, I think.

That doesn't make him any less awesome as a WR, but it brings about a little perspective if you take offf your homer glasses for a bit.
Old 09-29-2012   #5
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just out or curiosity, I wanted to see a couple points of reference from other players.

Anquan Boldin has the current records, if you call them that, for fastest player to 300, 400, 500, and 600 receptions. He hit those marks at 47 games, 67 games, 80 games, and 98 games, respectively. He hit 707 receptions to finish last season, at 125 games. He has 55 TDs. AJ is sitting at 125 games right now, through week 3 of the season, and has 719 catches and 54 TDs. AJ has more yardage and accordingly, more yards per game. Overall, their stats are very close.

Torry Holt was the fastest player to both 10000 and 11000 yards. He hit those marks at 116 and 130 games. That's approximately 84.6 yards per game, which eclipses AJ's current average by almost 6 yards per game. Holt played 10 years and racked up 869 receptions for 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns. That's 14.57 yards per catch, compared to AJ's 13.7 yards per catch. Or, if you prefer, AJ's post-Carr average of 14.49 yards per catch.

What does any of this mean? Nothing for now, just offers a point of reference. But I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in. There are very deserving WRs right now sitting on the sidelines that should be in, watching their accomplishments get watered down with each passing year. AJ's going to have to keep this up for a while, I think.

That doesn't make him any less awesome as a WR, but it brings about a little perspective if you take offf your homer glasses for a bit.
Honestly man, I wouldn't even worry about it. His career numbers will likely look a lot different by the end anyway, hopefully a couple rings too.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And you can put them back on if you want to throw Kurt Warner into the equation.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #7
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's to AJ getting it Sunday.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2012   #8
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Here's to AJ getting it Sunday.
He77 yeah. Think of all the times AJ had to wait on the ball. It still amazes me how open he gets. It's a testament to his all around skills (speed, strength, rout running).
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Putting aside the homer comment, I think HoF voters look at more than just naked stats. They'll consider the system Bruce & Holt played in v. AJ playing with Carr for 5 years. They consider things like whether the player was ever in the conversation for best at his position. Even though they aren't supposed to they consider off-field demeanor as well.
Old 09-29-2012   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Putting aside the homer comment ....
Well, it wasn't intended to be a derogatory comment. I'm a homer, hell. I cheer for my guys and that's that. I think we probably don't think of a guy like Anquan Boldin as a HOFer in the making, but his city's fans (homers) may well have that chatter. I don't know. The term homer is just implying home town perspective, as I was trying to use it.

As for the rest of your post ... well, I hope so. But I don't have a lot of faith, given some of the players they've left hanging. Dr. Doom was one of the three best linebackers of his era, but he's not even getting considered. And he was consistently one of the best, not up and down. Art Monk was never considered one of the best WRs of his era.
Old 09-29-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in...
I believe the metric that will seal HOF for numbers junkies is ...

NFL Career Receiving Yards per Game Leaders
Rank Player(age if active), Y/G Years Teams
1. Calvin Johnson (26) .....79.0 2007-2012 det
2. Andre Johnson (30) .....78.9 2003-2012 htx
3. Torry Holt ..................77.4 1999-2009 2TM
4. Larry Fitzgerald (28) ....77.1 2004-2012 crd
5. Marvin Harrison ...........76.7 1996-2008 clt
6. Jerry Rice ..................75.6 1985-2004 3TM
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #12
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I hopes he gets 10,000 tommorrow.....would be nice to have him do it here in Houston.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The fact that Cris Carter hasn't made it to the HOF doesn't seem to bode well for AJ getting in, at least not early on during his eligibility. There's still a lot of football to be played though, and I'm sure AJ will make an even greater case over the next few seasons

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #14
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The fact that Cris Carter hasn't made it to the HOF doesn't seem to bode well for AJ getting in, at least not early on during his eligibility. There's still a lot of football to be played though, and I'm sure AJ will make an even greater case over the next few seasons
Wasn't Cris Carter always eclipsed in the media by players like Michael Irving (who was inducted). Andre is constantly talked about as being the best of this era with Larry being the other big name. Calvin has now moved onto that list as well.

I cannot see AJ not being in the HOF as long as we have plenty of post season success. At the minimum, I will be there to see AJ's jersey draped on our rafters as the first retired Texans number!
Old 09-30-2012   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
Wasn't Cris Carter always eclipsed in the media by players like Michael Irving (who was inducted). Andre is constantly talked about as being the best of this era with Larry being the other big name. Calvin has now moved onto that list as well.
I think his early attitude problems which caused the Eagles to dump Carter are also a problem for him. But yes, for the early part of Carter's best years Jerry Rice was the dominant name, plus Irvin and then for the latter he wasn't even considered the best on his team after Moss arrived.
Old 09-30-2012   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I believe the metric that will seal HOF for numbers junkies is ...

NFL Career Receiving Yards per Game Leaders
Rank Player(age if active), Y/G Years Teams
3. Torry Holt ..................77.4 1999-2009 2TM
Does that mean Holt is a HOF lock? Because I just don't see it. I don't think he was as good as Cris Carter or any better than Andre Reed, who are both on the outside looking into the windows at Canton.

Key to AJ's HOF hopes are playoff appearances and playoff success. He's on the cusp of getting these in bunches.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read