Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would Kubiak change to power O in 2013?

ZBS is what he does but have you noticed the Oline shifting from lighter, faster guys to athletic road graders?

LT Duane Brown 6'4" 320
LG Wade Smith 6'4" 307
C Chris Myers 6'4" 290 but Ben Jones 6'3" 303
RG Antonio Caldwell 6' 3" 311 and Brandon Brooks 6'5" 340
RT Derek Newton 6' 5" 318

Of course there is Harris at 300 but was basically all they could get when Butler 317 was injured. Usually, OGs are able to hide slow fat boys but ours are a bit undersized; that being the ZBS philosophy.

With an older Schaub going forward with his new contract, would a power offense be safer for Matt? There has been talk that NFL will be cracking down on crack back blocks which are Texans bread and butter in this ZBS. Our RBs rotation seems able to switch as all 3 have shown they can run through middle.

*Note that while I recognize how successful the ZBS has been, I am more in line with a power offensive scheme and think our TEs fit well in that scheme.

Comments?
Old 09-28-2012   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Kubiak change to power O in 2013?

Good Lord, I can't believe how big these ZBS guys are. Amazing.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I like the power blocking scheme more so than a pure ZBS, I don't like the big unathletic road grader type O-linemen that traditionally play in that system. I guess I want it all in an O-lineman. I like a guy who's large for the respective position, strong as an ox, athletic/agile on his feet, and smart. I think we've gotten away from the pure ZBS that we ran a few years ago with Kubiak's mentor Gibbs and begninning last year we began to blend the 2 blocking schemes. I agree our O-linemen are getting larger because a couple years ago we were getting killed. Gibbs just couldn't realize that the rest of the NFL had figured out the antiquated pure ZBS and that a larger O-lineman was necessary to deal with today's huge athletic D-linemen.

Between this thread and the Weaknesses thread your obviously working on a new mock with emphasis on the O-line. Can't wait to see it, I've been working on a new one as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just stick to what works, yeah?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #5
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we do that? Why?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #6
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Let's just stick to what works, yeah?
this. kubiak's been coaching this offense for what, 17 years? not going to happen.
Old 09-28-2012   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
LT Duane Brown 6'4" 320
LG Wade Smith 6'4" 307
C Chris Myers 6'4" 290 but Ben Jones 6'3" 303
RG Antonio Caldwell 6' 3" 311 and Brandon Brooks 6'5" 340
RT Derek Newton 6' 5" 318

Comments?
Well a question and a comment.

Where the heck is this purported weight change other than a rookie non-starter? Brown and Myers are obviously the same they were. Caldwell is 1 lb heavier than Briesiel. Newton is the same weight as Winston. So for the past three season we have had a net weight gain of 1 lb.

The comment is ain't going to happen unless Kubiak leaves. His entire offense is built around zone blocking.
Old 09-28-2012   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Sherman tried more of power O while he was OC for the Texans?

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Didn't Sherman tried more of power O while he was OC for the Texans?

Go Texans!!!
I believe he may have added some power concepts.

Kubiak is a system coach, he is not going to change his system, he'll change personnel first.
Old 09-28-2012   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I believe he may have added some power concepts.

Kubiak is a system coach, he is not going to change his system, he'll change personnel first.
Yep, I agree with you Kiwi. Especially, Dennison is our OC and all. I guess younger guys are getting bigger nowadays without losing any quickness.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Why would we do that? Why?
If it ain't broke...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The reason for the ZBS, is to fool the defense. First step from snap is the same, whether it is a pass or a run. Going to a power O will change that. I don't think we'll change for that reason.

However, I think the athletes are changing more than Kubiak's system. Bigger, faster, stronger. If you look at our hawgs, they're as athletic as much smaller guys have been in the past. Duane Brown is pretty freaky for the way he's able to move.

New Orleans, I noticed when we played them last preseason. Those guys are huge, but move very, very well.

Times are changing, not our scheme.
Old 09-28-2012   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
The reason for the ZBS, is to fool the defense. First step from snap is the same, whether it is a pass or a run. Going to a power O will change that. I don't think we'll change for that reason.

However, I think the athletes are changing more than Kubiak's system. Bigger, faster, stronger. If you look at our hawgs, they're as athletic as much smaller guys have been in the past. Duane Brown is pretty freaky for the way he's able to move.

New Orleans, I noticed when we played them last preseason. Those guys are huge, but move very, very well.

Times are changing, not our scheme.
Unless teams figure out a way to stop out the ZBS and our rushing attack there is no need to change.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #14
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting stuff and I can see how that change might allow us to add more and more power o wrinkles in to the scheme to change it up, but it took forever to get this zbs working and I think they likely look to get the strongest (often biggest) guys who fit the athletic requirements first.

Interesting comments about Gibbs, I've always taken the view that he came in to put the building blocks in place on a long term project, we had a line made up of low experience guys, has-beens and other people's rubbish, and he set the foundations towards what we have now.

Can he really be viewed as simply a failure in Houston or did his time help develop us towards what we have now?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Interesting stuff and I can see how that change might allow us to add more and more power o wrinkles in to the scheme to change it up, but it took forever to get this zbs working and I think they likely look to get the strongest (often biggest) guys who fit the athletic requirements first.

Interesting comments about Gibbs, I've always taken the view that he came in to put the building blocks in place on a long term project, we had a line made up of low experience guys, has-beens and other people's rubbish, and he set the foundations towards what we have now.

Can he really be viewed as simply a failure in Houston or did his time help develop us towards what we have now?
I guess he did put in some of the building blocks (Brown and Myers) and I don't look at his time here as a failure. Just as a step moving us closer to what we are now. It may have taken longer than what we the fans wanted it to but I think now we are built for long term success. It takes time getting all the right pieces (both players and coaches) in place.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

Gibbs was far from a failure for the Texans. His personell was of limited experience and/or talent and "fit." There was transition from and resistance and conflict with the power run offense principles. The ZBS is not an easy system to install and certainly takes very much more difficult-to-find type of players to run it in the first place........and an even greater challenge time-wise to choreograph it so that it can run effectively and consistently. The ZBS takes extreme blood, sweat and tears......and painful commitment. That is what Gibbs left as his legacy to the team you see today.

This ARTICLE will be of historic interest to any Texans fan.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It could be that bigger guys are just becoming more agile. It isn't like you would decline a guy because he is big, as long as he can move, the bigger the better.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
It could be that bigger guys are just becoming more agile. It isn't like you would decline a guy because he is big, as long as he can move, the bigger the better.

Mike
this, along with the fact that players just continue to get bigger and faster. it wasnt all that long ago that 280lbs was the standard for ZBS linemen. it's been 290-300lbs lately and looks to be pushing up to 310-320lbs. size is secondary to athleticism, it just so happens that the big guys move well enough to play in our system.
Old 09-28-2012   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Much like the run and shoot offenses had trouble closing out games with a strong running game the zbs has its own inherent flaw. Our goal line running game. In the past thats always been an issue - finesse linemen have trouble plowing through the last 5yards or so. We've been fortunate to have foster as I think he is the difference in any kind of statistical review. And the texans have done well in adapting to athletic bigger linemen capable of operating in a zbs. At the end of the day though, I have way more confidence in our offense to convert a 3rd and 1 rush in the middle of the field then at the goal line. They just seem to nut up sometimes at the goal line and it doesnt help that kubiak has an entirely different play book on that part of the field.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well a question and a comment.

Where the heck is this purported weight change other than a rookie non-starter? Brown and Myers are obviously the same they were. Caldwell is 1 lb heavier than Briesiel. Newton is the same weight as Winston. So for the past three season we have had a net weight gain of 1 lb.

The comment is ain't going to happen unless Kubiak leaves. His entire offense is built around zone blocking.
Myers, Smith, Brown have been on team and Myers struggled first two years. Numerous posts about this player as you know. Caldwell was brought on to replace center so to compare him would be against Myers. If we look at recent draft picks for Oline in last two years, it seems towards the heavier type player. Ben Jones is a center who may play guard only because Caldwell has not worked at either center or guard.

The ZBS takes advantage of lighter, quicker of foot players that we seem not to go for in last two drafts. You mention Winston who on numerous talk radio stints said he preferred the "knock the other guy back and to manhandle him". He stated that is what offensive linemen want to do. We seem to have adapted the ZBS since Kubiak's arrival.

I am not saying I think this will happen, just seems like draft is going that way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read