Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WADE: Time for Locker to Feel like a Bag of Groceries......

.................SACKED!

From The Washington Post:
Quote:

Titans’ struggles in run game not affecting protection of QB Locker with only 2 sacks allowed

The Tennessee Titans have been criticized for being the NFL’s worst at running the ball. Jake Locker is pretty happy about one thing they’re doing better than almost any team in the league: protecting him.

The Titans (1-2) have done a pretty good job keeping Locker upright, allowing only two sacks this season and none in two straight games. Locker was hit only twice last week against Detroit. Only Buffalo has allowed fewer sacks with just one.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said Wednesday the protection went unnoticed last week despite facing a good defensive line against the Lions.

“We all knew that coming in and we threw the ball 50 times, I think, and the quarterback got hit twice,” Munchak said. “Not sacked, not harassed, he threw for almost 400 yards. That’s a heck of an accomplishment for them, and I thought the run blocking, for the most part, was pretty good all game, for their part in this thing.”

Protecting quarterbacks has been a mark of the Titans since Munchak first started coaching the offensive line in 1997. The franchise has ranked outside the top 10 only three times since 1997 and usually finds itself among the top six.

“That’s been a strength of this team for a long time, and it continues to be,” Locker said. “Those guys are professionals. They come out every weekend, and they play really good football games. It’s a constant as far as I’m concerned.”

The Titans finished behind only Buffalo last season in fewest sacks allowed, tied with New Orleans in giving up 24 sacks. That came protecting veteran Matt Hasselbeck, who is not as fast with his legs as Locker. His ability to run was just one of the reasons Tennessee drafted Locker eighth overall in 2011, and he’s led the team in rushing each of the first three games.
REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WADE: Time for Locker to Feel like a Bag of Groceries......

Soooo the O-line IS blocking for the guy still playing on his rookie contract...

...but NOT blocking for the guy who held out for the multi-mega contract...

just making sure I'm getting this straight...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #3
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2070 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: WADE: Time for Locker to Feel like a Bag of Groceries......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Soooo the O-line IS blocking for the guy still playing on his rookie contract...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give an uninformed opinion. Part of the reason they may be so good at protecting him is because of his mobility.

Let's not give any part of the Titans too much credit here.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

It's not out of the question that an offensive line is really good at pass blocking and not so good at run blocking.

Having said that, my opinion has always been that Chris Johnson stopped caring about football as soon as he got his big contract.

Either way, I think the Titans are in for a long day this Sunday.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #5
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I think CJ lost the respect of his team also, I count that in a factor in how willing they are to block for the guy.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Head coaches who played the position (OL) tend to develop strong units there as well. Taking Bruce Matthews from Texans certainly doesn't hurt them either, Locker mobility aside.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I think CJ lost the respect of his team also, I count that in a factor in how willing they are to block for the guy.
I have trouble believing that a team coached by Mike Munchak has an offensive line refusing to give full effort to win due to some sort of intrasquad animus. I certainly hope that's true because I so hate Bud Adams, but it doesn't strike me as very plausible.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Explanation. Chris Johnson sucks now
Old 09-27-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Munchak and Matthews against Wade Phillips. Someone get the popcorn!
Old 09-28-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt said something similar except with a bulls on parade reference
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read