Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2012   #61
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LB Joe Mays Suspended 1 Game for Hit on SCHAUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I think one game is just.

Mays knew exactly where he was hitting Schaub. His profession is to hit people.

He also knows the effects of hitting specific areas. For instance, if you hit someone in the chin or jaw, it tends to knock them out.

And if you find yourself slightly persuaded that Mays didn't mean to target the jaw, consider how Jared Allen pleaded his innocence despite video evidence that he was targeting Schaub's knees. Twice.

Yeah, clean hit, Denver fans. I guess this professional athlete just doesn't know the dimensions of his own body.
I want to add to this, Matt Schaub is 6'5". You have to work a bit to hit him that high.
Old 09-25-2012   #62
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

“I’m just trying to hurry up and get to him before he gets the ball off,” Mays said. “But he got the ball off, and after the release, he kind of ducked his head. As soon as he ducked his head, it was a bang-bang play. I knew as soon as it happened, I’m going to get fined for that.”

Then why didn't you put your arm(s) up to try and grab his arm or stop the pass? Instead, Mays' arms are so far down he didn't even try to wrap up. I think it's kind of comical that he didn't even try to push with his arms; he just flat-out speared Schaub's face-mask.

PS-not that anyone would care here, but I always remember when I got called for spearing in the 5th grade optimist league. I didn't even know what spearing was and thought you were s'posed to do that, LOL.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
PS-not that anyone would care here, but I always remember when I got called for spearing in the 5th grade optimist league. I didn't even know what spearing was and thought you were s'posed to do that, LOL.
I remember when the only time they called spearing was when the guy was on the ground and you stuck your helmet on him ..... or the headslaps of a HOFER.

My how the game as changed.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #64
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

What I find unacceptable, is that Mays and Miller were not repeatedly chop blocked on the next few plays. Those dudes should have left the field on an equipment cart.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #65
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I remember when the only time they called spearing was when the guy was on the ground and you stuck your helmet on him ..... or the headslaps of a HOFER.

My how the game as changed.
IIRC, I ran into the back of a ball-carrier who was trying to run backwards with a couple of my teammates holding onto him. Hit 'em right in the small of the back. I did TRY to wrap up, but I think I just hit 'im hard and bounced off, LOL. I was a corner (flanker). Ref called my number and I thought, "What the heck is spearing?"

Old 09-25-2012   #66
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 36385 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

The term "spearing" has changed quite a bit, just over the past few years that I've been officiating. Used to be "launching yourself" and only ever with the "crown of the helmet." Then it was changed to "initial contact" with the crown of the helmet. "Crown" was always defined as the very topmost point of the helmet. Then it was changed to simply "leading with the helmet." If the upper part of the helmet makes the initial contact these days....you've got yourself a "spearing" call. Anything above the facemask that makes initial contact is considered a spear. Even saw a running back get flagged for "spearing" because he lowered his headgear and hit the defender in center mass of his chest--ala Earl Campbell, and up ended him.

But I've called ballgames in 3 different states and each one of them words it just a little bit differently.

FWIW...

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #67
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm glad Matt is OK and I could laugh at this. Very funny.

I think we all know who is to blame for this. Typical JDR. I'm surprised he hasn't been busted for bounties.
Right on brother! I would not have made that joke without knowing Schaub was okay!!

JDR is a POS and he will get caught...... Some day!

*EDIT*

"Back and to the left*
Old 09-25-2012   #68
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I want to add to this, Matt Schaub is 6'5". You have to work a bit to hit him that high.
Thus, launching? No???
Old 09-25-2012   #69
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
The term "spearing" has changed quite a bit, just over the past few years that I've been officiating. Used to be "launching yourself" and only ever with the "crown of the helmet." Then it was changed to "initial contact" with the crown of the helmet. "Crown" was always defined as the very topmost point of the helmet. Then it was changed to simply "leading with the helmet." If the upper part of the helmet makes the initial contact these days....you've got yourself a "spearing" call. Anything above the facemask that makes initial contact is considered a spear. Even saw a running back get flagged for "spearing" because he lowered his headgear and hit the defender in center mass of his chest--ala Earl Campbell, and up ended him.

But I've called ballgames in 3 different states and each one of them words it just a little bit differently.

FWIW...
Schaub's head lowered because of his follow-thru, throwing the pass.. I'm not sure I get you're point here Pastor. Brother, help me out with your point!!!
Old 09-25-2012   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm glad Matt is OK and I could laugh at this. Very funny.

I think we all know who is to blame for this. Typical JDR. I'm surprised he hasn't been busted for bounties.
He plays them off as Christmas gifts .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #71
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Schaub's head lowered because of his follow-thru, throwing the pass..
I don't think it did, Bill. He had just released the ball...it was simultaneous. In fact, he was actually bracing a bit (knowing it was coming) and would have probably been knocked out cold had he stepped into it on a normal release.

EDIT: After looking at the animated GIF again, it's clear that Schaub did not lower his head due to some sort of follow-through motion. He was upright and seems to instinctively try to remain ramrod straight because he saw the pressure zeroing in on him. His head swivels slightly to the left, but dyckhead's face mask is already catching him on the jawline at that point.

How Schaub wasn't knocked out, I will never know. He was hit square on the jawline of the helmet. That's a helluva' shot to take to a sensitive area prone to knock-out.
Old 09-25-2012   #72
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, actually, Von Miller before the Mays hit was a blatant attempt to hurt our QB.

Miller should be suspended too, actually. Leaving his feet and intentionally driving Schaub into the ground while using the helmet to spear into him at the end of it.
Agreed. Miller is getting off because the Mays hit drew all the attention. Deserved a fine at a minimum.

Maybe Dutch can make a gif of the Miller hit as well.

Watching it during the game it looked to me like Miller made a conscious effort to pick Schaub up prior to launching himself with an intentional downward body angle to maximize the impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Schaub's head lowered because of his follow-thru, throwing the pass..
Definitely - it was minimal and a natural part of his follow through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
EDIT: After looking at the animated GIF again, it's clear that Schaub did not lower his head due to some sort of follow-through motion.
Putting aside that I think there clearly is a slight dip in the video clip - stand up and make a hard throwing motion while stepping into it as a QB would do rather than some backyard game. At the tail end of the motion (for right handed folks) your shoulders will be rotating and your head will be coming slightly forward thereby lowering the chin. There is also a natural flexion of the trunk forward to assist the power to the pass which results in a dip of the upper body as well.
Old 09-25-2012   #73
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Miller's hit is that where he "pile drove" him in the ground?

sorry, didn't see the game, but a guy at work was telling me that a denver player basically wrapped up Schaub and drove him down into the ground
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #74
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Miller's hit is that where he "pile drove" him in the ground?
Yes. It was the play immediately prior to the Mays hit. I haven't had a chance to watch it again but I would say Miller wrapped Schaub, put considerable effort into picking him up rather than tackling him and then launched himself up and rotated so he could pile drive Schaub with his full body weight centered with his head in Schaub's chest.
Old 09-25-2012   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes. It was the play immediately prior to the Mays hit. I haven't had a chance to watch it again but I would say Miller wrapped Schaub, put considerable effort into picking him up rather than tackling him and then launched himself up and rotated so he could pile drive Schaub with his full body weight centered with his head in Schaub's chest.
And as Schaub was pushing himself to his feet, he said, "Really, ya big puss. Is that ALL you got?"

And then the Mays thing.

And then Schaub hung another 10 points on them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #76
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Damnit ALL!

Schaub is clearly injury prone!! What?? He dislocates his shoulder and misses a few plays before returning AND has the audascity to lose a chunk of his ear..... What an effin' Puh-Ceh!!!!
Old 09-25-2012   #77
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post

FWIW...
Good post. Players are being taught differently these days. I was always taught to put the screws in the front of your helmet (or your hair line) into the opponent. It was pretty universal.

Now it seems like different players are being taught different things and honestly I don't know how they expect guys to tackle anymore. If you lead with your chest, that'd just be dumb. You are making yourself vulnerable.

If you lead with a shoulder you are even more likely to drop your head and lead with the very top of your head.

I guess the biggest thing now is aiming points, but with a qb standing in the pocket it's a little easier to aim for the neck down to the thighs, but even that can be challenging at times. With guys on the move the odds of you finding that perfect aiming point decrease even more.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #78
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
At most Mays should've been fined.

That was a clean hit.

A very hard hit, and you know God'ell is trying to eliminate hard hitting in the game.

I would like to hear God'ell or Andersons explination for the suspensions. Mays was intending to injure MS? The job of an NFL LB is to hit any player with the ball as hard as he can? Is that not football anymore? When players get hit hard sometimes they get hurt.

Ask guys that played in the 60-early 80's and they will tell you that's the way the game is suposed to be played.
That was not a clean hit the way the game is played today that was leading with the crown of the helmet all the way.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #79
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Yeah, but he's got a long face...

...so it's like having the chin of a 6-footer.
Old 09-26-2012   #80
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah, but he's got a long face...

...so it's like having the chin of a 6-footer.
Dang, how do you not hit that chin?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read