Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2012   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are teams figuring out our bootleg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's not a good view.

Check this out instead.

It's a bootleg.
man... that ear looks worse than I thought.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yeah, it is key and I know we aren't going to stop using it.
The questions I have are:
1) Is there a way we can keep Schaub from taking such brutal hits coming off it? Its like teams have said to try and hit him hardest from a full sprint out of the bootleg

2) Is there a way we can disguise it better so backside pursuit isn't right in his face the minute he turns around?

A few years ago he would have 2-3 seconds to make a decision unharrassed. Most of the time now it seems like he's got <1 second to stop moving, plant, and get the ball out. During that time he sets himself up for some nasty hits
1. Yes. In fact, on this play (The Ear), either Caldwell or Newton needed to connect on the block on the LB (or at least slow him down some).
I think it was Caldwell's responsibility. Newton came off his block and tried to get to the LB, but couldn't, but I don't think it was his assignment.

2. Also a yes.
Once in a while, we would bring a receiver in motion from the other side of the field (Walter) to cut block the back side edge defender before going out on his own route. Or we can use a FB (Casey), also from the other side of the field (disguising a counter run).

However, there will still be the naked bootleg in which the back side defender is always optioned. It's a game of cat and mouse, really.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #43
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not a good view.

Check this out instead.

It's a bootleg.
Yeah, but see that view is a bit misleading b/c the whole line moves left as they were selling the run hard. But as schaub rolls & sets up to throw, you'll notice he didn't go outside of the original tackle box.....if i had a gun to my head, i'd say it was a bootleg though.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
1. Yes. In fact, on this play (The Ear), either Caldwell or Newton needed to connect on the block on the LB (or at least slow him down some).
I think it was Caldwell's responsibility. Newton came off his block and tried to get to the LB, but couldn't, but I don't think it was his assignment.
Ah. Good point. I saw Newton lunging at Mays and figured it was his assignment. Could have been Caldwell's, I guess.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #45
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, but see that view is a bit misleading b/c the whole line moves left as they were selling the run hard. But as schaub rolls & sets up to throw, you'll notice he didn't go outside of the original tackle box.....if i had a gun to my head, i'd say it was a bootleg though.
The action of the run fake to one side and the QB running back to the other, even if he's taking more of an angle and may or may not get out of the tackle box, is still a bootleg to me.

Schaub will modify his direction on these things depending on how the defense is playing it -- sometimes it's almost a normal dropback and sometimes he takes it a lot closer to the sideline. I don't think he saw or expected Mays coming from the inside.
Old 09-27-2012   #46
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
You mean if you could switch places between Schaub and RGIII? It's the same offensive philosophy on both teams. That's an interesting question because I'm too simple-minded to play the "what if" game. I'm glad we have Schaub and I just hope he can stay healthy all 16 games and the three playoff games, counting the expected first-round bye and Super Bowl 47 in New Orleans.
No, that's not what I meant at all. I'm a Schaub guy. Stop putting words in my mouth please.

It's just since Elway a really mobile QB that can throw the ball has never really run Shannys version of the WC. Like I said before I'm interested in seeing how RG3 does. (Reading comprehension problems?)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #47
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No, that's not what I meant at all. I'm a Schaub guy. Stop putting words in my mouth please.

It's just since Elway a really mobile QB that can throw the ball has never really run Shannys version of the WC. Like I said before I'm interested in seeing how RG3 does. (Reading comprehension problems?)
I'm in that same boat with you.

When I watched a couple of RGIII's games last year, I was drooling at the thought of him in our offense. A guy like him, smart and athletic, would be epic in this offense. Not that I don't love me some Schaub but... he's not exactly the most mobile guy or a speed-burner or anything.
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2012   #48
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

has long has your running the ball well ur bootlegs will usually go well

cause the bootleg plays look just like a running play
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The action of the run fake to one side and the QB running back to the other, even if he's taking more of an angle and may or may not get out of the tackle box, is still a bootleg to me.

Schaub will modify his direction on these things depending on how the defense is playing it -- sometimes it's almost a normal dropback and sometimes he takes it a lot closer to the sideline. I don't think he saw or expected Mays coming from the inside.
No i agree with you, As i said in a previous post. i think it was a bootleg, & Schaub intended to roll out a bit more, he just had to stop it a little shorter than he would've b/c he had what he wanted down field (obvious deep to short read) and b/c the end was (#96..#94?) was coming for him pretty hard....Mays just got there a split second before he did.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #50
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm in that same boat with you.

When I watched a couple of RGIII's games last year, I was drooling at the thought of him in our offense. A guy like him, smart and athletic, would be epic in this offense. Not that I don't love me some Schaub but... he's not exactly the most mobile guy or a speed-burner or anything.
Same here, I'm perfectly happy with Schaub, but RG3 has the potential to develop into just a good and savvy passer as him with the wheels to burn teams too. A mouthwatering prospect in this scheme, and it'll certainly be interesting to see how it goes for the Redskins.

Steelb wasn't claiming he wanted us to go out and get RG3 or anything, simply that its going to be interesting to watch him in this scheme with the Redskins. And it will.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

At any rate, there are only 10 teams that allowed fewer QB hits and sacks combined than the Texans.

We allowed 3 sacks and 11 hits (for a total of 14).

Of those 10 teams, 3 allowed 13, 2 allowed 12, 2 allowed 11, and 2 allowed 10.

Buffalo is leading with just 5 QB Hits and zero sack.

I don't know how many of those QB Hits were due to a blitz where the QB did not have enough man to block, but there were a few that Schaub decided to take to make a play.

So it's not like we're weak at protecting the QB as compared to the rest of the league.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read