Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2012   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are teams figuring out our bootleg?

Three years ago or so, when Matt would roll out into a bootleg, he would usually be all alone. At most, there would be one DE running hard but a few yards away

Now I feel like when I watch Schaub roll out there is usually someone right in his face. Its resulting in tougher throws and hard hits.

Have teams started to pick up on the bootlegs?
Old 09-24-2012   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are teams figuring out our bootleg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Three years ago or so, when Matt would roll out into a bootleg, he would usually be all alone. At most, there would be one DE running hard but a few yards away

Now I feel like when I watch Schaub roll out there is usually someone right in his face. Its resulting in tougher throws and hard hits.

Figuring out is probably not the word that I would use. It's more of that they are taking our bootlegs seriously after 3 years.
Old 09-24-2012   #3
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 11584 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know that I would say figuring it out- they definitely know that it's a major part of our arsenal, and there is pressure. However, it's still very effective- I imagine if it stops working, we won't do it, but as long as we can run the ball effectively, it should still be successful a good portion of the time.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #4
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

They're just more prepared for it is all, and actually working on defending it in practice...

Two long TDs off of it yesterday...if they've figured it out they're still not stopping it...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #5
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a matter of a defense's strong point. If they trust in their DBs they'll play coverage regardless of the boot because they know Schaub isn't going to tuck it and run. If they have a strong front 7, they'll have an LB shadow him. But if an LB is shadowing your QB, there's a wide open man every time.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we have 1 of the most dangerous rb combos in the backfield....no. I've been on i don't know how many other teams' messageboards where they say something angrily like "they're killing us with the bootleg like they don't know its coming...".

Knowing its coming & figuring it out is not the point...its respecting both aspects of it b/c we can kill you with the run or pass through it either way.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #7
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
As long as we have 1 of the most dangerous rb combos in the backfield....no. I've been on i don't know how many other teams' messageboards where they say something angrily like "they're killing us with the bootleg like they don't know its coming...".

Knowing its coming & figuring it out is not the point...its respecting both aspects of it b/c we can kill you with the run or pass through it either way.
Exactly, its pick your poison with this offense, you can't cover all the things we're good at, if you cheat and try to guess what we're going to do, we can absolutely kill you if you've guessed wrong.

For every time you see a bootleg rollout where a LB is only yards away from Schaub by the time he's ready to begin his reads, there are plays where a LB is stood all alone covering nobody because he's waiting on a bootleg that hasn't come, suddenly you're playing 11 vs. 10, so they can shut it down all they want, we still get a big advantage out of it.

It seems kinda strange to me that a guy like Schaub who lets be honest is your prototypical statuesque pocket passer by skill-set is one of the deadliest passers in the league when he gets outside the pocket and on the move, thats down to great coaching, fantastic extended route design and an Oline that is looking increasingly plug-and-play in scheme with great talent. (The Oline may have taken some time to get going in the early years of ZBS, but my lord it only has one single high pick on it and no matter who we trot out there they seem to find success).
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2012   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

teams have already "figured it out". They just don't guess right all the time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I would add is it looks like Matt is more decisive lately when he faces the quick pressure on those rollouts. I know in the past he used to act a bit surprised and occasionally panic leading to a big sack but the last few games he is relaxed and knows to just do a quick dump off to Casey or whoever is his outlet on the rollout side.
Old 09-24-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It all depends on the defense we're playing and how they're playing us and how good the backside contain defender is at reading the hand-off.

Against some teams, Matt has a nice big open field to jog in while he's looking downfield. Against some teams, he's got to take a different angle to let the play develop. Against other teams, he's got to get rid of the ball fast.

The playcalls adjust by how the defense is trying to stop us. Cause if your backside contain guy is worrying too much about Matt, he's not stopping Arian or he's not covering someone else.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #11
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

theres a difference between figuring it out and expecting it.. i think the texans had a counter for the jags when they werent falling for the bootleg. quick screens picking up 10 yards at a time. the bootleg doesnt just have to fool the front 7, if it can get the safeties to commit to the run for just a second than guys like andre and walter can get open deep like yesterday..
Old 09-24-2012   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is that our run and bootleg pass look exactly the same so yeah pick your poison. The DE/OLB have a fraction of a second to commit or contain...I like those odds. The fact that some teams are keeping the "end" there is a great thing one way or another. Can't key off if they look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
teams have already "figured it out". They just don't guess right all the time.
^^^^ This
....is part of it.

Another part is nearly all teams have it in their play book so it ain't like they don't see it in practice....

but few are as effective with it as we are.

And the way it's designed we have several options to chose from
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If by "figuring it out" you mean they know were going to do it? Yes.

If by "figuring it out" with regards to "stopping it"? No!! 290 yards passing and 152 yards rushing against a pretty darn good defense. 442 yards by any measure is pretty damn good!!
Old 09-24-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Especially with John Elway as one of the head honchos in the Broncos organization.

Not to mention the DC Jack Del Rio, who was the Jaguars HC from 03 to 2011.

There's hardly anything Kubiak throw at them that the Broncos don't know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #16
SwoLy-D
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respectedSwoLy-D is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Are teams figuring out our bootleg?

Stick the RUN down their throats. Hypnotize. Make them think "RUN" all the time. Freeze the linebackers thinking it's a RUN. SELL IT. Let the CB's buy it. BOOM, long BOMB.
SwoLy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #17
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

No one can figure out someones offense, just prepare for it. Defenses probably put QB spies in just to make sure Schaub doesn't roll out.
Old 09-26-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not about figuring it out. It's about remaining disciplined when you play this style of offense. Backside guy has to stay home.

Only thing is, this offense is designed to make the defense wrong a lot of times no matter what.

That backside guy staying home to defend the bootleg makes it a lot easier for the running back to cut it back if he does actually get the ball.

Coaches pick up on that stuff. If the backside guys are crashing hard down the line chasing the rb, better believe there's going to be a bootleg coming.

If they are staying home to defending the boot, they'll tell the rb the offense that the cut back lanes are there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's not about figuring it out. It's about remaining disciplined when you play this style of offense. Backside guy has to stay home.

Only thing is, this offense is designed to make the defense wrong a lot of times no matter what.

That backside guy staying home to defend the bootleg makes it a lot easier for the running back to cut it back if he does actually get the ball.

Coaches pick up on that stuff. If the backside guys are crashing hard down the line chasing the rb, better believe there's going to be a bootleg coming.

If they are staying home to defending the boot, they'll tell the rb the offense that the cut back lanes are there.
What he said!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is getting hit a lot from the bootleg now though. Is it worth it if it ends up resulting in him getting knocked out of a game?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read