Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2012   #61
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak is who he is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You (and others) have converged on the answer. We are equally capable to move the ball by ground or by air. You said it perfectly, whatever they try to stop, we can do something else. "We will find a way to hurt you."

Aaand... (this is the mostest beautious part for me) they cannot tell, by our formation or personnel package whut we gonna do.

And last year, Wade brought that you-don't-know-what's-coming philosphy to our defense.

It's a beautiful thing boys & girls.

now excuse me, I need to whip up some more Koolaid

Man I do not fear Ravens like some do. That defense is getting up there and Suggs being gone this year will kill them.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #62
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I hope people don't think I was trying to be negative about Kubiak here. I love Kubiak, and have been a fan of his for a long time.
Not at all .... Was more pointed at a few specific people. You and Tex werent among those , I even said as much to Tex in another thread a week or two ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Kubiak is a 50-49 coach in year 7. He is who he is, so enjoy what we have at this time.
As many times as we've heard Gary say "its on me" .... How many losses can we really attribute directly to his making mistakes in game ?

We've seen what this staff can do with talent to work with .... we kinda have to take that 50-49 record with a grain of salt .... Taking over that 2-14 team and going 6-10 with it , I have to wonder if they didnt overachieve.

The 2010 6-10 .... Ugh. That team was snakebit .... Several heartbreaking losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The guy has done well to change opinions on him.
Yeah , he's come a long way .... Winning will do that for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I prefer not to get into that discussion anymore because I think the question is framed wrong. I think the Texans O is a "we'll take what you give us" offense that's designed to be able to run on teams trying to stop the run.

In the early part of the game, if whatever the D is trying to stop, our O will do something else. You try to stop the run, we'll pass. You try to stop the long pass, we'll take the underneath. You try to stop the underneath, we'll go deep. Whatever you do, we'll find a way to hurt you.

In the late part of the game if we have a lead, we will pound the rock and eat up the clock. But if you sell out on the run, we'll still throw it to keep you on your heels.

The only thing we have to worry about is penalties and turnovers. If we eliminate those, we'll do well.
MSR.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #63
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There was another , who I said something to a couple weeks ago about it .... For the life of me I cant recall who it is and couldnt find the post.

Im didnt say this was the majority ... just that there is a group who still wants him run , however small.

I know the majority of the soapers have come around or at least moved on since they made a playoff appearance.
You *might* be thinking about the 'Cowher Power' sig line. And it's still posted somewhat frequently.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Last point first - #88 didn't "blow it" for the Broncos. It was excellent coverage by our secondary.

As to your first point, you have strongest running game in the NFL and the best 1-2 RB tandem maybe in league history. Why WOULDN'T you run it with a large lead? Every incomplete pass gives the behind team an extra 40 seconds. 40 seconds is good for 5-6 passing plays - easily enough for a TD drive. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was wondering why the hell they didn't run it MORE when they were up by 20.
He dropped around 5 passes, Derek. Or more. Big drops, drops that would have moved the chains by 10, 15 yards. It was amazing how many easy passes he dropped.

He broke lazy on an out pattern at the goal line...a crisper, faster break (like a Reggie Wayne runs) and it would've been a TD. Didn't try to drag a foot on the back-of-EZ catch. All around, he was sloppy. Absurdly talented, but no focus...no sense of urgency.
Old 09-27-2012   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

An old image I made awhile back. LOL.

Old 09-27-2012   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
An old image I made awhile back. LOL.

Shave your back dude, that's disgusting.

I wish this thread had been a poll. I'd love to see how many fans thought Gary turtled up in that game.

I thought it was an extremely exciting game, both halfs. Ball being thrown around everywhere, QBs getting blown up, Kj De-Cleating Mofos... KDub going deep...

luv'ds it.
Old 09-27-2012   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

For the record...that's NOT me in the photo. LOL.

God blessed me with no back hair.
Old 09-27-2012   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
For the record...that's NOT me in the photo. LOL.

God blessed me with no back hair.
I'd say.
I really doubt that GP would post his own photo on the net like that, LOL!

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Last point first - #88 didn't "blow it" for the Broncos. It was excellent coverage by our secondary.

As to your first point, you have strongest running game in the NFL and the best 1-2 RB tandem maybe in league history. Why WOULDN'T you run it with a large lead? Every incomplete pass gives the behind team an extra 40 seconds. 40 seconds is good for 5-6 passing plays - easily enough for a TD drive. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was wondering why the hell they didn't run it MORE when they were up by 20.
Because in 3rd quarter you should not be focusing on running out the clock but scoring and defending. QBs like Peyton can come back on you. Wait a second. IIRC Peyton did come back on us. That game was a prime example to go full throttle until at least 1/2 thru fourth quarter.

Reminds me of college basketball dribbling forever to run clock out with 20 minutes to play. Incomplete passes stop the clock BUT completed passes put you closer to points. No coach calls up a pass thinking it will be incomplete.
Old 01-09-2013   #70
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember posting this thread back in September. It's interesting, because after watching the Begnals game, some of his play calls make more sense.

The problem is Kubiak doesn't adjust for being down. If he isn't playing with the lead, the style isn't as effective.
Old 01-09-2013   #71
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
One of the things I've read on the boards over and over again is that fans would like to see us get up early on an opponent and then really step on their throats to finish the game. Go up by 20 by halftime? Make it 40 by the end.

While I would love to see that style from time to time as well, its important to remember that our head coach is Gary Kubiak. Thats not his style. He plays for a lead and then plays to protect that lead.

There are arguments to be made on both sides of this idea -- whether its better to keep your food on the gas pedal or better to eat the clock and "go turtle."
For me, it isn't an either/or argument. There are times that he should go turtle. There are times he should press the advantage. My complaint about Kubiak in this regard is that he's completely inflexible in this situation. When you're facing a team that can come back, you need to bury them. Other times, those teams' only chance to come back is a turnover, so you don't take any risk at all. Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.
Old 01-09-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
For me, it isn't an either/or argument. There are times that he should go turtle. There are times he should press the advantage. My complaint about Kubiak in this regard is that he's completely inflexible in this situation. When you're facing a team that can come back, you need to bury them. Other times, those teams' only chance to come back is a turnover, so you don't take any risk at all. Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.
& I don't see that at all. We need to be able to run when everybody in the building knows we're going to run it. That's just good sound football.

If we can run the ball like we're supposed to, he'll hit them with the play action, or the bootleg & take a quick strike down field. That's the way he's always been.

This year, because of the new guys on the OL, we have not been able to run the ball in those situations. Kubiak (imo) being able to see more than two games down the schedule, understands how important it is that we are able to run it down their throats in that "protect the lead" situation.

If we get a lead on a team like the Bears, or the Patriots, or the Broncos, or the Bengals... who get turnovers in the passing game, we'll need to run it & have them sell out to stop it in order to win.

Running the ball will run out the clock. Them selling out to stop it is going to allow us to take those shots & score.... from anywhere on the field.
Old 01-09-2013   #73
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

It's not secret, Gary plays the % plays and doesn't take risks. He's a career backup QB to John Elway, you would have thought he would have more of that fire in him but he doesn't.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.
In addition, how many times did we have the lead on a team that "could come back"

I can only think of two, Denver & Baltimore. Against Baltimore, we were up 29-3 at the half. Our first drive, we ran the ball once, but tried to pass twice. Once Matt was sacked, the other he threw an incomplete pass.

Baltimore scored, then we came out with a 13 yard pass to Andre, a 2 yard loss by Foster, & a 35 yard pass to KDub...

Sounds to me Kubiak is bent on scoring even though we have a 19 point lead, because the Ravens can come back on us.

Most of the other teams we've played, not so much. What better time to practice your run it down their throats offense?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read