Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-02-2014   #1921
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah... you're the only one equating partying with "worst in the league"
I don't know, you just compared Manziel to one of the bigger draft busts in recent memory, compared their lifestyles, and all but touted it a trend. If you're not suggesting that Manziel is likely to end up as one, you're being disingenuous.

For the record I think Manziel is going to be a bust. Off-the-field concerns aren't the reasons why. One look at the tape and his (now that I no longer have to cheer for him) crap mechanics are apparent. Every throw looks like it's off the back shoulder, he constantly overlooks wide open receivers, and still bolts too much.

Last edited by htownfan32; 02-03-2014 at 12:21 AM.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1922
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 3952 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
The seahawks won because of a dominating performance by a defense. I mean come on..the mvp was a linebacker. Wilson played ok..not great.
The Seahawks won because they we're a superior team in all three aspects of the game (D, O & ST). Wilson had a 123 rating and 8.7 per carry avg (and even had a 22 yd run called back). The SEA offense scored 27 points and Wilson led them on every drive with poise and skill not many Soph QBs have shown. Wilson could have easily been the MVP also, but that LB had a pretty damn good game.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1923
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I don't know, you just compared Manziel to one of the bigger draft busts in recent memory, compared their lifestyles, and all but touted it a trend. If you're not suggesting that Manziel is likely to end up as one, you're being disingenuous.
:sigh:
Old 02-03-2014   #1924
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
Watching Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl, makes me lean towards Manziel. I look at the speed of today's defenses and the stress a mobile QB puts on them. Wilson bought his team time and made plays with his arm and feet. I believe Manziel can do this and more. He would certainly bring some excitement to the team and move us into the 21st Century of QB play. Plus if we keep Case, we can set-up and offense that pretty much either one of them could run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
The Seahawks won because they we're a superior team in all three aspects of the game (D, O & ST). Wilson had a 123 rating and 8.7 per carry avg (and even had a 22 yd run called back). The SEA offense scored 27 points and Wilson led them on every drive with poise and skill not many Soph QBs have shown. Wilson could have easily been the MVP also, but that LB had a pretty damn good game.

agree
Old 02-03-2014   #1925
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Seattle's win shows how much flexibility you have with your defense when you can get pressure with just your down linemen.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1926
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Seattle's win shows how much flexibility you have with your defense when you can get pressure with just your down linemen.
To me it shows how much ass whooppin power you have when you dominate on offense, defense and ST.
Old 02-03-2014   #1927
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 14620 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So because the two like to have a good time, Manziel = Matt Leinart. Nice logic, that.

I suppose any player that likes to have a good time is a automatic bust. That Gronkowski guy is one of the worst TEs I've ever seen in my life.
At least that's true NOW! He's being paid a bundle and can't get on the field. But it could be worse. You could be paying a bundle to a guy in prison. But who would do such a thing?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014   #1928
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, but you say that like he parties instead of practicing. The only egregious thing that stands out to me is the Manning Academy incident. Other than that, he did what other college kids do, except TMZ was following him around.

If he partied hard during football season I'd have issues. He doesn't, so I'm not sure why everyone (this isn't directed at you as much as it is at everyone) tabs Manziel as a party boy when none of this goes on during business time.
Possibly because it's such a surprise to his followers that he is preparing for the biggest interview of his life instead of partying that they feel the need to post pictures of it as if he deserves credit for doing the same thing that every single other player who wants to get drafted is doing?...

I'm with TK. Leinart was all business during the season. But what was his reputation?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1929
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

These Manziel/Wilson comparisons aren't going to stop so I'll just caution y'all. Wilson was far more prepared for the transition to the NFL game than Manziel is.

That says nothing of Manziel's skill, which he obviously has a lot of. But as to how his skills translate, he is closer to a more polished, less athletic Michael Vick than he is to Russell Wilson.
Old 02-03-2014   #1930
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

& to add onto to Bah's post, Wilson was drafted later in the draft with next to no expectations that he'd be anything more than a back up.....

Manziel is likely gonna be taken early by a bad team with huge expectations for him to become a star.........

The 2 situations are no where close to the same for each player.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1931
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
These Manziel/Wilson comparisons aren't going to stop so I'll just caution y'all. Wilson was far more prepared for the transition to the NFL game than Manziel is.

That says nothing of Manziel's skill, which he obviously has a lot of. But as to how his skills translate, he is closer to a more polished, less athletic Michael Vick than he is to Russell Wilson.
I agree with a lot of what you say and not to get too far off topic but Manziel (and Teddy) are both going to be almost exactly 2 years younger as rookies than Russell. Theoretically they could sit their rookie year behind a vet, start 16 games their sophomore season and then be the same age their third year as Wilson was as a rookie. I have followed the MLB draft closely for longer than the NFL and it definitely seems to be a bigger deal in baseball to look at age relative to competition. Am I correct in that assumption or totally off-base?
Old 02-03-2014   #1932
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I doubt there are many people who would take partying for a few days over setting yourself up for life by doing work.

You know that like Clowney showing up at Senior Bowl, JFF representation is pulling every possible string to put him in a good light. At the very least you give him credit for good representation and taking their advice.
..and the haters are doing all they can to minimize any positives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not specific to Manziel, but I think this excuse for NFL prospects is ludicrous. Nothing in these kids' lives is ordinary and hasn't been for years.

It makes no sense to dismiss one piece of their lives as "like ordinary kids" when nothing in their lives is ordinary.
Agreed. By the same token, IF you think he's a party animal that still comes out and performs, what's the real concern?

Quote:
One person does not a trend make. Gronk parties hard, but I doubt you'll be rushing to call him one of the worst TEs in the league.

Ken Stabler played drunk. Does logic assert that we should expect QBs who like to drink to win Super Bowls in their career?
With Namath, that's at least two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
& to add onto to Bah's post, Wilson was drafted later in the draft with next to no expectations that he'd be anything more than a back up.....

Manziel is likely gonna be taken early by a bad team with huge expectations for him to become a star.........

The 2 situations are no where close to the same for each player.
Correct, Wilson was nowhere near the collegiate player that Manziel was and therefore wasn't taken as high. Those 7-9 Seahawks weren't that far from a "bad" team either.
Old 02-03-2014   #1933
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Agreed. By the same token, IF you think he's a party animal that still comes out and performs, what's the real concern?
Agreed. AJ is a weekly bar regular during the season and still performs. Got nothing against that. Just don't like the kids excuse. I would also prefer they keep it a non-spectacle.
Old 02-03-2014   #1934
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Agreed. AJ is a weekly bar regular during the season and still performs. Got nothing against that. Just don't like the kids excuse. I would also prefer they keep it a non-spectacle.
With Manziel, unfortunately, you're liable to get a circus. If the kid can keep it on the DL in the pros it'll be better for him in the long run image-wise.
Old 02-03-2014   #1935
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Possibly because it's such a surprise to his followers that he is preparing for the biggest interview of his life instead of partying that they feel the need to post pictures of it as if he deserves credit for doing the same thing that every single other player who wants to get drafted is doing?...

I'm with TK. Leinart was all business during the season. But what was his reputation?
It's not a surprise to his "followers" that he is doing what he is supposed to do. He's been doing it all year. It's being posted because one of the main reasons his detractors say he will fail is, according to them he's not dedicated enough. That all he wants to do is party. That he is immature.
Old 02-03-2014   #1936
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With Manziel, unfortunately, you're liable to get a circus. If the kid can keep it on the DL in the pros it'll be better for him in the long run image-wise.
Joe "Willie" Namath was a circus and he was celebrated as "Broadway Joe"....just sayin
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1937
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Joe "Willie" Namath was a circus and he was celebrated as "Broadway Joe"....just sayin
We used to drink beer in the parking lot of a store on the main strip in high school back in the late 70's early 80's .
Old 02-03-2014   #1938
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We used to drink beer in the parking lot of a store on the main strip in high school back in the late 70's early 80's .
Lol, right....just like once upon a time folks thought the earth was flat...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #1939
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
It's not a surprise to his "followers" that he is doing what he is supposed to do. He's been doing it all year. It's being posted because one of the main reasons his detractors say he will fail is, according to them he's not dedicated enough. That all he wants to do is party. That he is immature.
I don't agree with any of that. I think he is an amazing competitor. I do think he is somewhat immature but I don't think to the degree that will make him fail in the pros.

I don't think he'll have long term success in the NFL because I don't think his skills translate cleanly to the next level. I think he'll be an exciting player who has two or three really good years and then flames out as teams adjust to him and force him to use his arm and brain as his primary weapons. That's not a popular opinion around here but it's what I think.
Old 02-03-2014   #1940
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't agree with any of that. I think he is an amazing competitor. I do think he is somewhat immature but I don't think to the degree that will make him fail in the pros.

I don't think he'll have long term success in the NFL because I don't think his skills translate cleanly to the next level. I think he'll be an exciting player who has two or three really good years and then flames out as teams adjust to him and force him to use his arm and brain as his primary weapons. That's not a popular opinion around here but it's what I think.
Actually, you've got a die-hard Ag in me that agrees with you there.

He'll have to switch up his game if he wants to succeed in the pros. Too much bust capability for me to pull the trigger on him if I was a GM. Takes a bigger gambler than we have in Rick Smith IMO to grab Manziel at 1-1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read