Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2014   #1901
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Atleast he isn't a complete idiot, because you'd have to be to not take the preparation over party route.
I doubt there are many people who would take partying for a few days over setting yourself up for life by doing work.

You know that like Clowney showing up at Senior Bowl, JFF representation is pulling every possible string to put him in a good light. At the very least you give him credit for good representation and taking their advice.
Old 02-02-2014   #1902
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Man he's so immature.
He's working with Jules Winnfield and that doesn't trump Wienke .
Old 02-02-2014   #1903
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Atleast he isn't a complete idiot, because you'd have to be to not take the preparation over party route.
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Dude did not party at all during football season, didn't step one toe out of line. He's never been a distraction to his team when it comes down to football. Out of that I'm sure as long as when it's work time he works, nobody will care all that much how he chooses to have his (legal) fun.
Old 02-02-2014   #1904
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Gotta give credit where credit is due. Dude did not party at all during football season, didn't step one toe out of line. He's never been a distraction to his team when it comes down to football. Out of that I'm sure as long as when it's work time he works, nobody will care all that much how he chooses to have his (legal) fun.
While I am not saying anything negative about Manziel, the credit given is bare minimum. He chose to prepare for the biggest job interview of his entire life instead of partying.
Old 02-02-2014   #1905
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I am not saying anything negative about Manziel, the credit given is bare minimum. He chose to prepare for the biggest job interview of his entire life instead of partying.
Yes, but you say that like he parties instead of practicing. The only egregious thing that stands out to me is the Manning Academy incident. Other than that, he did what other college kids do, except TMZ was following him around.

If he partied hard during football season I'd have issues. He doesn't, so I'm not sure why everyone (this isn't directed at you as much as it is at everyone) tabs Manziel as a party boy when none of this goes on during business time.
Old 02-02-2014   #1906
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

If he partied hard during football season I'd have issues. He doesn't, so I'm not sure why everyone (this isn't directed at you as much as it is at everyone) tabs Manziel as a party boy when none of this goes on during business time.
Was Matty Hot-tub getting down during the football season? Or was he just living it up in the offseason?

I don't recall a whole lot during the season, I think he earned the moniker in the offseason.
Old 02-02-2014   #1907
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Was Matty Hot-tub getting down during the football season? Or was he just living it up in the offseason?

I don't recall a whole lot during the season, I think he earned the moniker in the offseason.
What does Leinart have to do with Manziel? Other than being Heisman winners they have little in common.
Old 02-02-2014   #1908
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does Leinart have to do with Manziel? Other than being Heisman winners they have little in common.
It's more about the nickname. How they earned it.

Try to keep up.
Old 02-02-2014   #1909
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl, makes me lean towards Manziel. I look at the speed of today's defenses and the stress a mobile QB puts on them. Wilson bought his team time and made plays with his arm and feet. I believe Manziel can do this and more. He would certainly bring some excitement to the team and move us into the 21st Century of QB play. Plus if we keep Case, we can set-up and offense that pretty much either one of them could run.

Texan, back in Texas!
Old 02-02-2014   #1910
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's more about the nickname. How they earned it.

Try to keep up.
So because the two like to have a good time, Manziel = Matt Leinart. Nice logic, that.

I suppose any player that likes to have a good time is a automatic bust. That Gronkowski guy is one of the worst TEs I've ever seen in my life.
Old 02-02-2014   #1911
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
“Johnny’s always been a leader,” Obioha said, “and it was basically him saying, “We’re not going to go out like this. We need to come back. This has to be a team effort.’”

Just as he’s done for the entirety of his remarkable career, Manziel lit a fire under his fellow Aggies. The redshirt sophomore made a handful of Manziel-like plays and a much-maligned defense stepped up with two late interceptions to help Texas A&M overcome a 21-point halftime deficit and stun Duke 52-48 in the Georgia Dome. In what many expect to be the final chapter for one of the most exciting players to ever play college football, Manziel refused to close his storied career with three straight losses.

“I just said, ‘Don’t quit.’” Manziel said of his sideline plea. “We got down, but I kept stressing to everybody – offense, defense, special teams – not to look at the scoreboard. ‘Don’t even do it. There’s no reason to do that.’”

Speaking to reporters after the game, Manziel, who finished 30-of-38 passing for 382 yards and a bowl-record four touchdowns along with 73 rushing yards and another score, couldn’t put his team’s season-ending performance into words.

“It’s unreal,” he said. “I know the way these guys fought. I can’t tell you how proud I am of them.”

Quote:
“More than anything, I’m just extremely proud to have played with this offensive line… just everybody on offense the last three years. They’ve helped me get to where I am today. Without them, I wouldn’t be anything.”

God, what an immature d-bag. He obviously gives zero ****s about football.

http://college-football.si.com/2014/...ck-fil-a-bowl/
Old 02-02-2014   #1912
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
So because the two like to have a good time, Manziel = Matt Leinart. Nice logic, that.

I suppose any player that likes to have a good time is a automatic bust. That Gronkowski guy is one of the worst TEs I've ever seen in my life.
Logic? I'm not following yours. I never said Manziel = Lienart, only that Lienart earned his nickname because of his off-season exploits. "Buckling down" during the season did not change the perception of his character. Logic would assert that we should not expect any different in regards to the perception of Manziel's character.

Notice I'm not passing judgement, right or wrong, on Manziel or the people who perpetuate the perception.

I also never said "partying"= bust. I happen to believe kids'll be kids, until they grow up. It's not a big deal.
Old 02-02-2014   #1913
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's a good chance manziel could have a relatively drama free nfl career. I don't think his character stuff is something that makes you take him off your board completely, but it is something you'd have to bring up and give some thought to.

Do I EXPECT manziel to have a bunch of off field trouble/maturity issues? I'm not sure.

Would I be SURPRISED if some issues did pop up? Absolutely not.

If I were to make a scale of guys likely to have off field/maturity issues and make 1 be the least likely and 10 to be most likely, I'd honestly put manziel at about a 6.
Old 02-02-2014   #1914
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

When I get around to it, I might make a thread with all the maturity/off field issue guys and get the board to grade what they believe the likliehood if then having issues in the nfl are. Then average it out and see what we get. See what we think as a group about some of the "character" guys.
Old 02-02-2014   #1915
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
Watching Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl, makes me lean towards Manziel. I look at the speed of today's defenses and the stress a mobile QB puts on them. Wilson bought his team time and made plays with his arm and feet. I believe Manziel can do this and more. He would certainly bring some excitement to the team and move us into the 21st Century of QB play. Plus if we keep Case, we can set-up and offense that pretty much either one of them could run.
The seahawks won because of a dominating performance by a defense. I mean come on..the mvp was a linebacker. Wilson played ok..not great.
Old 02-02-2014   #1916
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I happen to believe kids'll be kids, until they grow up. It's not a big deal.
Not specific to Manziel, but I think this excuse for NFL prospects is ludicrous. Nothing in these kids' lives is ordinary and hasn't been for years.

It makes no sense to dismiss one piece of their lives as "like ordinary kids" when nothing in their lives is ordinary.
Old 02-02-2014   #1917
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Logic? I'm not following yours. I never said Manziel = Lienart, only that Lienart earned his nickname because of his off-season exploits. "Buckling down" during the season did not change the perception of his character. Logic would assert that we should not expect any different in regards to the perception of Manziel's character.

Notice I'm not passing judgement, right or wrong, on Manziel or the people who perpetuate the perception.

I also never said "partying"= bust. I happen to believe kids'll be kids, until they grow up. It's not a big deal.
One person does not a trend make. Gronk parties hard, but I doubt you'll be rushing to call him one of the worst TEs in the league.

Ken Stabler played drunk. Does logic assert that we should expect QBs who like to drink to win Super Bowls in their career?
Old 02-02-2014   #1918
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, but you say that like he parties instead of practicing. The only egregious thing that stands out to me is the Manning Academy incident. Other than that, he did what other college kids do, except TMZ was following him around.

You missed the point. The point was that it means absolutely nothing outside of the fact that he isn't a complete moron.
Old 02-02-2014   #1919
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You missed the point. The point was that it means absolutely nothing outside of the fact that he isn't a complete moron.
Fair enough. I'm just addressing what I think is an overblown reaction to his partying, not from you but from folks in general.
Old 02-02-2014   #1920
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
One person does not a trend make. Gronk parties hard, but I doubt you'll be rushing to call him one of the worst TEs in the league.

Ken Stabler played drunk. Does logic assert that we should expect QBs who like to drink to win Super Bowls in their career?
Yeah... you're the only one equating partying with "worst in the league"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read