Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014   #1721
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Oh Lord I truly lol'd in public when I saw this
Old 01-17-2014   #1722
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is where the Sanchez stuff started.

Kinda got out of hand. But I stand behind this statement. The other stuff, not so much.
Fair enough man. That is certainly better than making the complete comparison to Sanchez. I still would never do it and think it is a terrible comparison but based simply on the criteria of got his team to the playoffs and had a few comeback wins, it's not quite so bad.
Old 01-19-2014   #1723
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

"Sources" say the Browns are willing to trade up to get Manziel.

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns are one of the teams in need of a long-term answer at quarterback and hold the fourth overall pick in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The Browns are willing to trade up to land Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports, citing sources.
Link
Old 01-19-2014   #1724
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47631 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
"Sources" say the Browns are willing to trade up to get Manziel.

Link
You would think they would get a HC first then start looking at the draft.

Old 01-19-2014   #1725
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Yeah I am not buying any of this crap that the Browns have already made up their mind on Manziel and are willing to trade up for him...we still have a long way to go and a lot of evaluation to do.
Old 01-19-2014   #1726
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If you don't like it ... you can take your ass back to that joke of a forum over at HT.com with the rest of the melonheads.
^^^^
This
Old 01-19-2014   #1727
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Some of them can be jack wagons in their own right but more important the conversation is rarely stifled and you do have freedom of speech within reason. As a result you do need a thick skin at times if you want to play.
MSR

Perfectly describes this MB.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2014   #1728
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

So tonight's games really has me thinking about the appeal of a mobile/dual threat QB and how it applies to Manziel. Kaepernick and Wilson are the two poster boys for mobile QBs in todays NFL, and I must say from a pure QB standpoint I wasn't impressed with either of them tonight. Now was this because they rely so much on their ability to extend/make plays with their legs, or is it because they are both still really young guys who have a lot of learning to do.

Kaep made some outstanding plays with his legs including one really nice long run to set up a touchdown, but when it came down to it he lost the game because of his inability to make the correct throws. Wilson of course won the game, but outside of a couple extended plays with his legs, he didn't overly impress either and the Hawks defense is what won them the game.

So are these guys just products of their system and benefactors of two of the best defenses in the league, or are they really two of the best young QBs in the game? Put either of these guys on our current team and how many wins do they net us? As it stands, are we a playoff team with either of these guys at the helm? And if not, how much better can we expect Manziel to be in the event we do take him first overall? Do you view Manziel as having a higher ceiling than either Wilson or Kaep?

I guess what I am asking is this whole dual threat QB era just a fad and a mirage? Or are these guys really paving the way for players like Manziel to come in and have long successful careers in the NFL?
Old 01-20-2014   #1729
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
So tonight's games really has me thinking about the appeal of a mobile/dual threat QB and how it applies to Manziel. Kaepernick and Wilson are the two poster boys for mobile QBs in todays NFL, and I must say from a pure QB standpoint I wasn't impressed with either of them tonight. Now was this because they rely so much on their ability to extend/make plays with their legs, or is it because they are both still really young guys who have a lot of learning to do.

Kaep made some outstanding plays with his legs including one really nice long run to set up a touchdown, but when it came down to it he lost the game because of his inability to make the correct throws. Wilson of course won the game, but outside of a couple extended plays with his legs, he didn't overly impress either and the Hawks defense is what won them the game.

So are these guys just products of their system and benefactors of two of the best defenses in the league, or are they really two of the best young QBs in the game? Put either of these guys on our current team and how many wins do they net us? As it stands, are we a playoff team with either of these guys at the helm? And if not, how much better can we expect Manziel to be in the event we do take him first overall? Do you view Manziel as having a higher ceiling than either Wilson or Kaep?

I guess what I am asking is this whole dual threat QB era just a fad and a mirage? Or are these guys really paving the way for players like Manziel to come in and have long successful careers in the NFL?
I think it's too early to say. Wilson and Kaep have done a lot in a short amount of time, but it's still two-three seasons early before we can really start calling this a trend. If Manziel has sustained success in the league I think we can start calling it a trend.
Old 01-20-2014   #1730
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If you don't like it ... you can take your ass back to that joke of a forum over at HT.com with the rest of the melonheads.
Quote:
Some of them can be jack wagons in their own right but more important the conversation is rarely stifled and you do have freedom of speech within reason. As a result you do need a thick skin at times if you want to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
That site used to be decent. I don't know what happened, but it seriously nose dived into an abyss of uneducated rants, no humor, and terrible ideas. It's pretty much a ghost town now.

TT and BRB are very appreciated places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Incest, even intellectual incest does that. They've run off anybody who doesn't bow to their ideas and regurgitate them.
I tried to ride it out since it is the official Texans board. First one to pop up if you google it. But I got tired of getting infractions. The last one I got was the last straw. This was my post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave
Still 22 minutes left on the clock though.
I am rooting for Chiefs, but you had to admire that first drive by the Dolts - as good as you will see.

It's the Dolts, the only thing I admire is how lucky they get every dam time them pieces of bull feces.

Moderator 1 gave me an infraction for bad language and talking smack about another team.
Old 01-20-2014   #1731
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 45564 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I tried to ride it out since it is the official Texans board. First one to pop up if you google it. But I got tired of getting infractions. The last one I got was the last straw. This was my post.....

Quote:
I am rooting for Chiefs, but you had to admire that first drive by the Dolts - as good as you will see.

It's the Dolts, the only thing I admire is how lucky they get every dam time them pieces of bull feces.

Moderator 1 gave me an infraction for bad language and talking smack about another team.
You can't get away with anything there, unless you are a moderator.
Old 01-20-2014   #1732
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

The HT.com message board is pretty much a 2-14 message board.
Old 01-20-2014   #1733
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You can't get away with anything there, unless you are a moderator.
And if people don't stay on topic, the thread will get closed.

Quote:
The HT.com message board is pretty much a 2-14 message board.
LMAO, now that pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-20-2014   #1734
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's a fad and the bolded is why. As much as I like Wilson as a qb, He & Kaepernick probably wouldn't have been leading their respective teams anywhere much less the playoffs & SB playing the way they've played as of late. Basically, they'd look like RG3 did this past year if they didn't have their defenses to rely on...i.e. sporadic.

A qb's mobility is meant to be used like table salt. A little bit here and there to extend a play & move the chains is ok & can even enhance things..Too much of it more often than not is bad for the qb's health and for his team's offense. This is why you saw Kaepernick fall off in the 2nd half yesterday. Dude had a 120 yds rushing in the 1st half but in the 2nd half, the Seahawks made a concerted effort to keep him in the pocket. & when he could no longer run he started doing his Matt Schaub impression with all the TO's.

Wilson also had a number of WTF plays where he was running around behind the LOS & did his best Case Keenum impression taking 20 yard sacks & intentional grounding penalties.

Meanwhile, you've got 38 yo Manning destroying defenses to the tune of 400 yds & 2 TD's hardly moving at all. It just goes to show you that the most effective way to play qb in this league will always be standing in the pocket & going through your progressions. The ball moves quicker in the air than on the ground.
Old 01-20-2014   #1735
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 8m

Manziel has never been officially measured; first time will be at combine. By shaking his hand I'd guess 10 1/4. Has 15 shoe.
Old 01-20-2014   #1736
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This really isn't anything new. Every few years, you get a new batch of mobile QBs that are going to revolutionize the game: Bobby Douglass, Roger Staubach, Joe Gilliam, John Elway, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, Jim Zorn, Kordell Stewart, Donovan McNabb, Vince Young, etc.

If they don't develop some skills as drop-back passers, they usually flame out. But, as you can see from the list above, some of them do develop and over time, may even lose the title of a running QB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 01-20-2014   #1737
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And if people don't stay on topic, the thread will get closed.

LMAO, now that pretty much sums it up.
In all truthfulness, the HT.com message has become a message board for kids 8-9 years old. That is what Bob McNair wants and that is what that board has become.
Old 01-20-2014   #1738
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Quote:
Yeah I am not buying any of this crap that the Browns have already made up their mind on Manziel and are willing to trade up for him...we still have a long way to go and a lot of evaluation to do.
You guys are using logic, which is something the Browns current FO hasn't shown much of lately.
Old 01-20-2014   #1739
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In all truthfulness, the HT.com message has become a message board for kids 8-9 years old. That is what Bob McNair wants and that is what that board has become.
That is not what McNair wants.

The history of the MB there is far more convoluted than you have any idea about and McNair plays no role other than the umbrella of he has the power to change it.
Old 01-20-2014   #1740
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is not what McNair wants.

The history of the MB there is far more convoluted than you have any idea about and McNair plays no role other than the umbrella of he has the power to change it.
Several moderators at ht.com message boards have commented that McNair wanted the message board friendly enough for his 8 year old grandson to use and that any kids of that age not be insulted or bullied, so they were instructed to manage the board in this fashion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read