Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014   #1441
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Not at 1.1.
Here's the thing. No QB in the class is worth 1.1, but if you were going to take a flyer at 1.1 the only one that would make sense is Manziel. He is the only one that could potentially be a game changing superstar IMO. The others may turn out to be decent QB's, but you don't take that chance unless you are betting on greatness.
Old 01-10-2014   #1442
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
So is Doug Flutie. Your point?
read the question
Old 01-10-2014   #1443
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
read the question
I wrote the damn question, and since almost a 1000 posts in this thread have been about drafting Manziel at 1-1 I thought it was implied.

But I'll clarify if you need me to.

At 5'10" can you draft Manziel at 1-1?

Happy now?
Old 01-10-2014   #1444
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there any logical way we could get Manziel not at 1.1? I mean the highest feasible trade partner would probably be Cleveland at 1.4 and get their second first rounder plus whatever moving pieces. That means both Cleveland and Jax would be selecting before us and unless we know for sure they each want one of Teddy and Bortles, we could get screwed. And that trade is only possible is Cleveland falls in love with Teddy and is willing to give up another first rounder to get him over Johnny/Manziel.
Old 01-10-2014   #1445
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
I wrote the damn question, and since almost a 1000 posts in this thread have been about drafting Manziel at 1-1 I thought it was implied.

But I'll clarify if you need me to.

At 5'10" can you draft Manziel at 1-1?

Happy now?
I recently went back and watched a bunch of film on both TB and Manziel .... and despite the lack of height , Manziel looks to be the better of the two.

Flawless mechanics , great footwork , accuracy , elusiveness in the pocket , reads defenses better and the work ethic to go with it. The only thing Bridgewater has in his favor is the height & the fact that he runs a more pro style offense when I compare the side by side & you cant forget about the disparity in level of competition ....

I had not been of the mindset to take Manziel over Bridgewater prior to this comparison but I'd be comfortable with doing so now.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-10-2014   #1446
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Russell Wilson is 5'10"
And Wilson got drafted in the 3rd round because he was 5'10, despite having all of the skills necessary to be a successful QB.

The question was would you still draft Manziel #1.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-10-2014   #1447
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Is there any logical way we could get Manziel not at 1.1? I mean the highest feasible trade partner would probably be Cleveland at 1.4 and get their second first rounder plus whatever moving pieces. That means both Cleveland and Jax would be selecting before us and unless we know for sure they each want one of Teddy and Bortles, we could get screwed. And that trade is only possible is Cleveland falls in love with Teddy and is willing to give up another first rounder to get him over Johnny/Manziel.
not including a team maybe trading up with the rams who could take a QB
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2014   #1448
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think im on the manziel train. roll the dice. its all about qb in this league. just sayin
Old 01-10-2014   #1449
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
And Wilson got drafted in the 3rd round because he was 5'10, despite having all of the skills necessary to be a successful QB.

The question was would you still draft Manziel #1.
I'd prefer to move back to #3 or #4 and still get him as the biggest threat IMO is the Raiders at 5 pending Jax and Cleveland take Bortles & Bridgewater.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-10-2014   #1450
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob Slovak just showed a photo of him next to Manziel. Bob is 6'1" ... JFF is at least 6' 0"
Old 01-10-2014   #1451
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Here's the thing. No QB in the class is worth 1.1, but if you were going to take a flyer at 1.1 the only one that would make sense is Manziel. He is the only one that could potentially be a game changing superstar IMO. The others may turn out to be decent QB's, but you don't take that chance unless you are betting on greatness.
There was no doubt in my mind that there were people here who wanted us to draft Johnny Manziel. I knew they were here. It makes sense. He's obviously talented. We need a talented QB... no, we need a special QB & while Bridgewater is very good, he's not special.

So I get it.

But at 1-1 overall..... interesting. I don't want to draft Manziel, much less at 1-1. However, it makes more sense than drafting Bridgewater at 1-1. Like you said, Manziel has the ability to be great. But you're swinging for a homerun & some people just won't understand it.
Old 01-10-2014   #1452
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
They would probably be okay with either Manziel or Bortles there.
Old 01-10-2014   #1453
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Bob Slovak just showed a photo of him next to Manziel. Bob is 6'1" ... JFF is at least 6' 0"
Mind posting it? Just curious. I have met/stood next to Johnny in person and right around 6ft seems accurate, I am exactly 5"11.5 and he seemed right at my height maybe a hair taller or shorter although I wasn't paying attention just trying to go off memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
not including a team maybe trading up with the rams who could take a QB
Thats very true, Raiders or Vikes could make this move to trade up into the Rams spot and then we would have missed on all 3 of the top prospects. The way I see it at this point, if we want Johnny it has to be at #1.
Old 01-10-2014   #1454
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Flawless mechanics , great footwork , accuracy , elusiveness in the pocket , reads defenses better... and the work ethic to go with it. The only thing Bridgewater has in his favor is the height & the fact that he runs a more pro style offense when I compare the side by side & you cant forget about the disparity in level of competition ....

I had not been of the mindset to take Manziel over Bridgewater prior to this comparison but I'd be comfortable with doing so now.
I feel exactly the same way. About Manziel being the better choice in the long run. I agree about his mechanics, his footwork, & reading a defense. I don't know about his work ethic. But I don't want to be pegged as an Aggie, so I wasn't going to say.

But IMO, this would have to be a poor draft to take either at 1-1..... like the 2002 draft.
Old 01-10-2014   #1455
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah that's what I said after the chick fil a bowl. Picking at number one could be the only place the Texans could get Manziel. You never know what could happen in the draft. So many teams need a qb. Though the Texans could also potentially come away with Clowney, Boyd, and Greg Robinson if they tradedwith Cleveland and got their late first.
Old 01-10-2014   #1456
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd prefer to move back to #3 or #4 and still get him as the biggest threat IMO is the Raiders at 5 pending Jax and Cleveland take Bortles & Bridgewater.
Ideally we trade down to three and get Manziel or Bridgewater. If thats not available and we get a great offer I'm willing to trade down no lower than 1.6.. I feel like there are six elite players in this draft and I want one of them.

*Javedon Clowney DE South Carolina (X)
*Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
Anthony Barr LB UCLA
*Sammie Watkins WR Clemson
*Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
*Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

To trade down lower than that it would have to be an incredible offer.
Old 01-10-2014   #1457
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah that's what I said after the chick fil a bowl. Picking at number one could be the only place the Texans could get Manziel. You never know what could happen in the draft. So many teams need a qb. Though the Texans could also potentially come away with Clowney, Boyd, and Greg Robinson if they tradedwith Cleveland and got their late first.
Clowney falling to six would be surprising. That would be an incredible haul though.
Old 01-10-2014   #1458
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I was really high on Boyd early in the season ..... even went as far as saying he was the top Sr. QB in this class .... But now , I wouldn't make that statement , just don't think he's going to be an NFL quality QB after watching him this season. I'd take Fales in the 2nd or Logan Thomas in the 3rd instead..

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-10-2014   #1459
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was really high on Boyd early in the season ..... even went as far as saying he was the top Sr. QB in this class .... But now , I wouldn't make that statement , just don't think he's going to be an NFL quality QB after watching him this season. I'd take Fales in the 2nd or Logan Thomas in the 3rd instead..
Logan Thomas? He's the poster boy for guys who have NFL size and nothing else.
Old 01-10-2014   #1460
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Eric Winston on 610AM just now put it perfectly, "Johnny Manziel is going to get a coach fired... Either the guy who drafted him or the guy who passed on him."

Nightmare for OTs to block for.

Throws good deep ball, questionable on the mid-outs.

Needs to press up into the pocket.

Loves his swag.
He hasn't watched a lot of Manziel if he thinks he's questionable on mid-outs. He throws that better than probably anything else in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read