Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014   #1421
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Cut out the screenshots but stuff like this sometimes makes me think the offensive drop-off won't be so bad. Kenny Hill seems Manziel-esque to me but a pro style guy like Kyle Allen will have a field day with a WR corps like the one we have in store. I see Allen and even Hill throwing a strike to Walker or dumping off to Labhart without the jumping around.
I don't the think the drop will be that significant i. We will see a lot less wow plays with Johnny gone, but I think the offense becomes more multi dimensional with us utilizing Carson, Williams, and Malena more. QB competition should be interesting, I like Kenny a lot but Allen is the highly touted freshman so we will see how it starts to play out come Spring time. Whoever gets the job though will be one lucky kid; RSJ returning, Speedy Noil and Nacho committed and a 3-headed RB monster and the luxury of the great Sumlin system...this offense should be plenty potent even with out JF next year.
Old 01-09-2014   #1422
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Throw in Kevin Murray's son who should be a recruit next year.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 01-09-2014   #1423
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Difference between 10 and 5 there big guy. To me a check down would be a screen type pass, ie a RB still behind the line of scrimmage,or a pass of less than 5 yards. If you disagree with that definition of check down fine, but using that as a guide Manziel was at 46.85% to Bridgewater's 42.55%.

I also never said that either checked down more than average, just that Bridgewater did certainly not check down all day as the poster I initially quoted stated.

I gotcha. Actually, I missed who you were responding to, so I didn't realize your point was simply defending against the notion that all Bridgewater does is check down. On that, you and I are certainly on the same side. That post was ill informed.
Old 01-09-2014   #1424
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...l-bowl-team/1/
Old 01-09-2014   #1425
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We have our first love affair...

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Do you understand how big a size 15 foot is? I mean, I wear a size 7.
It's a smokescreen. They'll get everyone to believe they're in love with Manziel. Soon it will come out the Rams are in love with Manziel at #2. We'll talk the Browns into trading picks with us to make sure they get "their guy"

They'll draft Bridgewater, the Rams will draft Bortles... & a lot of Aggie fans are going to be upset when we draft Greg Robinson.
Old 01-09-2014   #1426
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Tends to scramble too much when most of the time it's not needed.

He does throw a good ball though, but if he keeps scrambling in the NFL, he will get 20yd sacks like Keenum was getting.
I'm not on board with drafting Manziel, but this is the key. "If"

The college game is different than the pro game in a lot of ways. One is that there is a whole 'nother sense of urgency in the college game. Each season, the goal is to be undefeated. One loss, at the college level is like 3 losses in the pros.

He'll be taught, expected, to fight to live another day.

He'll have to learn when to be "Johnny Football" & when to not risk a 20 yard sack.
Old 01-09-2014   #1427
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Oh lordy, gonna make be bust out the screenshots are ya?

A. First off the called play was a fake screen to Labhart in order to get Derel Walker open deep down the sideline. The fake worked, Manziel looked over to Labhart right after the snap, causing the safety to hesitate and let Walker get behind him, Walker also beat his DB off the line and had ample separation heading into the end zone.
"Technically" you may be correct. However in that situation... it might have been as simple as Manziel not trusting Walker. As his coach, I'm telling him that was the called play, we got what we wanted, he should have pulled the trigger. However, he's on the field, he knows what he saw. If he can explain it & it's plausible, I don't count it against him. If I don't believe what he's saying... I expect it to be corrected.

For instance, it is possible (one opinion) that the ball should have already been in the air if the receiver was going to catch it before going out the back of the end zone. And the safety is in a good position for Manziel to not want to throw the ball when it should have left his hand, fractions of a second before your first still.

Quote:
B)Also notice in the below pic the aforementioned Derel Walker beating his guy off the LOS, #14 the CB has his hips towards the sideline while Walker has already began to streak towards the end zone

No doubt he caught the corner napping, but c'mon

FYI, if you want to make your images smaller, type widthsize after IMG

IMGwidthsize=300]link to image[/IMGwidthsize
Old 01-09-2014   #1428
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
"Technically" you may be correct. However in that situation... it might have been as simple as Manziel not trusting Walker. As his coach, I'm telling him that was the called play, we got what we wanted, he should have pulled the trigger. However, he's on the field, he knows what he saw. If he can explain it & it's plausible, I don't count it against him. If I don't believe what he's saying... I expect it to be corrected.

For instance, it is possible (one opinion) that the ball should have already been in the air if the receiver was going to catch it before going out the back of the end zone. And the safety is in a good position for Manziel to not want to throw the ball when it should have left his hand, fractions of a second before your first still.

No doubt he caught the corner napping, but c'mon

FYI, if you want to make your images smaller, type widthsize after IMG

IMGwidthsize=300]link to image[/IMGwidthsize
The play was designed for Walker, and if you have watched Aggie football you know he has made some clutch catches for Manziel, so the theory that he doesn't trust him in baseless. Even so, Walker was not the only receiver open on that play anyways.

Look at the first screen shot I posted, Manziel had Walker open, it was an issue of timing or when to throw the ball, it was the fact he didn't recognize his receiver was open because he had already made up his mind that he wanted to run it. Had he scanned the whole field and hung in the pocket, he would have seen Walker coming open and had an easy throw to the middle-left of the end zone for a TD. If you saw the few plays leading up to this one, you would have see that Manziel was getting into a rhythm on some designed runs and got close to breaking a long one. My whole point of bringing it up is that good pro QBs make that throw and don't have to rely on an ultra lucky-hurdle a defense-bounce off my lineman type play to secure 6 points.

As for that asian baby picture, I don't really get the joke?

And thanks for the tip, I went and resized them all...I have a high resolution monitor at work and I forget some people use mobile devices and I probably ruined that whole page ha.
Old 01-09-2014   #1429
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh lordy, gonna make be bust out the screenshots are ya?.
Cute screenshots bro, but entirely mis-representing the play. You'd best watch it in motion again.

The "fake screen" isn't faking anyone when Johnny doesn't look that direction for >3 seconds.

92 was going to hit JM if he stayed put another second, he moved forward to avoid the rush. I don't care if the tackle is all world, they all get beat eventually. He had done his job forcing him to take the long way around, but he was indeed "there".

You keep trying to represent this as some sort of grievous error and the facts don't support it.

Much easier analysis - The play downfield JM was looking for didn't materialize. He pulls it down and attempts to take off up the middle. He gets tripped up and evades. As he sees daylight to the sideline, the DB breaks off Labhart and makes an easy reception possible.

Overheads are great, but you're assuming the QB always sees what you do from above. Even the great ones miss open guys. Your contention that JM missed something "obvious" is absurd.

He sure took a long time to "make up his mind" if running was his first choice.
Old 01-09-2014   #1430
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Cute screenshots bro, but entirely mis-representing the play. You'd best watch it in motion again.

The "fake screen" isn't faking anyone when Johnny doesn't look that direction for >3 seconds.

92 was going to hit JM if he stayed put another second, he moved forward to avoid the rush. I don't care if the tackle is all world, they all get beat eventually. He had done his job forcing him to take the long way around, but he was indeed "there".

You keep trying to represent this as some sort of grievous error and the facts don't support it.

Much easier analysis - The play downfield JM was looking for didn't materialize. He pulls it down and attempts to take off up the middle. He gets tripped up and evades. As he sees daylight to the sideline, the DB breaks off Labhart and makes an easy reception possible.

Overheads are great, but you're assuming the QB always sees what you do from above. Even the great ones miss open guys. Your contention that JM missed something "obvious" is absurd.

And the end results of the play due to Manziel's instincts? Touchdown.
Old 01-09-2014   #1431
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One thing all the "Manziel takes off to soon" crowd don't seem to ever consider is the fact that QB's are taught after a certain amount of time you have to make a move. OL can't hold their blocks forever. Wasn't one of the biggest complaints about Case that he held the ball to long. You have to have an internal clock that tells you either throw it away or make a move.

I love that he looks to extend plays rather than just throw it away or dump it off. It does need to be toned down but after watching Schaub for the last couple of years well......
Old 01-09-2014   #1432
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The play was designed for Walker, and if you have watched Aggie football you know he has made some clutch catches for Manziel, so the theory that he doesn't trust him in baseless. Even so, Walker was not the only receiver open on that play anyways.
The point is there may have been a very real reason Manziel didn't make that throw. I don't know what it is, because I'm not looking at it from his POV. However, I do offer an opinion, most likely not right, but it is just an example. In your screen shot, the WR is open, but there's no way Manziel can get the ball to him before he runs out the back of the end zone. He would have had to have already thrown the ball in which case, the Safety was in a good defensive position.

Quote:
As for that asian baby picture, I don't really get the joke?
I don't know what happened, but that was the picture I saw when I first read your post. When I go back now, it's a different picture, one that matches your description. I don't know what happened.

Quote:
And thanks for the tip, I went and resized them all...I have a high resolution monitor at work and I forget some people use mobile devices and I probably ruined that whole page ha.
I'm on a 14" laptop... still jacked up the page. Appreciate you going back to "fix" it.
Old 01-10-2014   #1433
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 01-10-2014   #1434
matts290
Veteran

Quote:

I provided the screenshots to give a visual aid to what I was describing, no need to get condescending about it.

And Manziel looked right to Labhart as soon as he received the snap and Labhart leaped up into the air, I guess to sell the fake more, but it wasn't necessary at that point because the safety had already began back peddling which left Labhart wide open...a WR screen doesn't involve the QB looking in the WRs direction for >3 seconds, its a play where the QB gets the ball out of his hands quick.

This play is a staple in the Aggies offense, and they run several variations of it, most often with Mike Evans as the X receiver and Labhart in the slot to clear out the middle...but that is neither here nor there.

The whole point I was trying to illustrate is that this amazing improvisational plays will not succeed at the next level. Guys in the NFL are too disciplined to let a QB jump over them, bounce off his own lineman and then run back out of the pile to hit wide open receiver. Does that mean I think all Johnny can do is make insane "lucky" plays? No, I have seen Manziel stand in a pocket and deliver some pinpoint accurate throws all over the field, so I know he has the ability, he just isn't consistent enough with it.

In order for Johnny to be a successful QB in the NFL he is going to have to get better at scanning the entire field and going through all of his progressions. Granted, Sumlin's offense rarely calls for a full field read and the first and hot read are always dictated from the sideline. The point remains it is something he will have to get better at because he will not get away with making one read and then tucking the ball and running in the NFL.

It is obviously something he can improve once he gets into a NFL system, but as it stands Manziel does not exceed at progressing through his reads and making a throw. Does he do it at times? Of course, he has shown that he does have the ability, but has not mastered it yet.

Every QB in this draft has things he has to work on, and I just thought I would share one play that I think symbolizes Manziel's biggest weakness. Again, I am an Aggie, I want this guy to succeed more than anyone but that doesn't mean I think he is a perfect players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know what happened, but that was the picture I saw when I first read your post. When I go back now, it's a different picture, one that matches your description. I don't know what happened.
I saw the baby picture to through your quote...weird. I hosted the shots on tiny pic so maybe the server whacked out for a second an displayed the wrong image for the URL I posted.
Old 01-10-2014   #1435
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

More interesting info

JFF probably deserves somewhat of a pass, when you factor in how often he throws deep.

And further evidence to stay far far away from Carr.
Old 01-10-2014   #1436
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Winston on 610AM just now put it perfectly, "Johnny Manziel is going to get a coach fired... Either the guy who drafted him or the guy who passed on him."

Nightmare for OTs to block for.

Throws good deep ball, questionable on the mid-outs.

Needs to press up into the pocket.

Loves his swag.
Old 01-10-2014   #1437
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Pulling this from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I find it humorous that Manziel is being touted as 6'1" and 210#.

Colin Klein is 6'5" and Te'o is 6'1"

Saw him at the Rockets game next to Chris Paul (6'0") and he was at least 2 inches shorter than Paul.
So can you still draft JFF if he's 5'10"?
Old 01-10-2014   #1438
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pulling this from another thread

Not at 1.1.
Old 01-10-2014   #1439
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Russell Wilson is 5'10"
Old 01-10-2014   #1440
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Russell Wilson is 5'10"
So is Doug Flutie. Your point?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read