Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014   #1361
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Tossing it up for grabs.

Good luck with happy feet and tossing it up in the NFL.
Old 01-09-2014   #1362
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Tossing it up for grabs.

Good luck with happy feet and tossing it up in the NFL.
lol his die hards argue that he DOES NOT throw it up for grabs, he's just that clutch.
Old 01-09-2014   #1363
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
lol his die hards argue that he DOES NOT throw it up for grabs, he's just that clutch.
I don't think he does it quite as often as is portrayed, but he does it often enough to be atleast a little bit concerning.
Old 01-09-2014   #1364
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a more accurate, less athletic Vick is the perfect comparison, actually.
Old 01-09-2014   #1365
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Tends to scramble too much when most of the time it's not needed.

He does throw a good ball though, but if he keeps scrambling in the NFL, he will get 20yd sacks like Keenum was getting.
Old 01-09-2014   #1366
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think he does it quite as often as is portrayed, but he does it often enough to be atleast a little bit concerning.
Exactly. This is something I believe good coaching will fix. Didn't we just hire a QB guru?
Old 01-09-2014   #1367
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think a more accurate, less athletic Vick is the perfect comparison, actually.
I keep seeing this comparison and I just can't buy into it. He isn't near the runner that Dick was. He's a far superior passer. Vic did what he did because of his speed. Manziel does what he does cause of this elusiveness. Manziel reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham.
Old 01-09-2014   #1368
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also mostly showing highlights from his freshman year. Anyone who pid attention would realize he improved immensely this year. I know of only one jump ball he threw and that was in the Alabama game
Old 01-09-2014   #1369
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I keep seeing this comparison and I just can't buy into it. He isn't near the runner that Dick was. He's a far superior passer. Vic did what he did because of his speed. Manziel does what he does cause of this elusiveness. Manziel reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham.
It's more style of play. Manziel is a far better passer. But he still uses his legs as his primary weapon instead of his arm. Vick was the same way. Explosive athlete with a great arm, but he couldn't play from the pocket. He had to moving at all times.

Manziel could be shaped into a Cunningham type player, but that isn't what he is at this point. He's shown that he is capable of making plays from the pocket, but he is uncomfortable sitting there. He wants to be on the move.
Old 01-09-2014   #1370
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel reminds me of only one player...

Wore #4 in GB....

Almost identical to the T. Similar height, weight coming into the draft, similar styles, gun slinger mentality. Not sure how many saw Favre in college, I remember him playing against TAMU, used his legs as well. Not to the extend Manziel does, but could scramble around and sling a jump ball as well....

If Manziel has a game anywhere near what ol' #4 had, I take him in a heart beat. Only takes a creative mind and someone with some scrote to take the chance GB did with #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbyA7lActIQ

Draft analysis on Favre: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2M0xxX9Vw

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
Old 01-09-2014   #1371
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's more style of play. Manziel is a far better passer. But he still uses his legs as his primary weapon instead of his arm. Vick was the same way. Explosive athlete with a great arm, but he couldn't play from the pocket. He had to moving at all times.

Manziel could be shaped into a Cunningham type player, but that isn't what he is at this point. He's shown that he is capable of making plays from the pocket, but he is uncomfortable sitting there. He wants to be on the move.
http://youtu.be/zrjfzFBP9pE
Old 01-09-2014   #1372
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying he isn't that yet. A Cunningham type player would be best case scenario.

And just for argument's sake, in 16 years Cunningham only played 16 games three times.
Old 01-09-2014   #1373
bah007
Hall of Fame

Manziel's arm talent doesn't approach Favre's. Not even the same hemisphere.
Old 01-09-2014   #1374
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not by much, especially coming out of college. Brett Favre was known to have an average arm strength before getting to GB. Holmgren helped fixed that by adjusting his throwing mechanics...That and Favre traded his 12 oz workout for a weight workout and built up his arm strength...

One of the reasons Atlanta traded him...

Old 01-09-2014   #1375
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
10000% agree..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
Old 01-09-2014   #1376
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
10000% agree..
then you would be 10000% wrong...

Old 01-09-2014   #1377
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. This is something I believe good coaching will fix. Didn't we just hire a QB guru?
Like I said before, I have major reservations about drafting a player if the plan is to "fix" his best quality once we draft him. If that's the plan then what does he bring to the table outside of that ability that makes him a better prospect than Bridgewater or Bortles?

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-09-2014   #1378
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting read

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...back-conundrum
Old 01-09-2014   #1379
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying he isn't that yet. A Cunningham type player would be best case scenario.

And just for argument's sake, in 16 years Cunningham only played 16 games three times.
I'm not talking about the Cunningham played 16 years and NFL. I'm talking about a young Randall Cunningham. Say his first 2 or three years. And until Manziel shows he has injury problems, I'm not too worried about that. The rules now are in favor of the QB and I believe he can be broke of his bad habits. I'm more concerned with Bridgewaters frail body not being able to take punishment than Manziels style of play.
Old 01-09-2014   #1380
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Like I said before, I have major reservations about drafting a player if the plan is to "educate him on how to effectively use" his best quality once we draft him. If that's the plan then what does he bring to the table outside of that ability that makes him a better prospect than Bridgewater or Bortles?
I think what I put in bold would be a better choice of words...

Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read