Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014   #1181
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
What don't you like about Manziel? I'd of courser prefer him to be a bit taller but I can live with his size. The only thing that scares me about him is later in the season teams started keeping him in the pocket and limiting his scrambling ability and his performance dropped a bit, BUT he was also playing with a hurt shoulder (from the Auburn game) and I believe a tweaked thumb. It's tough to know if he struggled due to being banged up or if he simply struggles when being forced to stay in the pocket.

The things I really like about him are his field vision and his will to win. Those can be really tough to coach.
I like a QB with great arm strength and accuracy. JM and Bridgewater have accuracy but lack the arm strngth to become a top level pro QB. It's possible they could develop the arm strength but I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe after seeing Schaub's lack of arm strength and how it limited the offense over the yrs I'm jaded. Lack of arm strength and lack of height concern me as to how JM's game will translate to the next level.

I do rate JM slightly ahead of Bridgewater. Bortles is my #1 QB this yr followed by Mettenberger.

1. Bortles
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Johny Football
5. Bridgewater
6. Brett Smith
Old 01-01-2014   #1182
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Well let's start with the two positions you called out -- OL and WR. Matthews is currently a top 5 projected pick and the #1 lineman in the draft. Evans is one of the top two wideouts in football. Both are likely first round picks. If Ogbuehi leaves he could easily go in the first as well. Texas A&M is likely to have more offensive players taken in the first round than any other college. How can you MISS their talent on that side of the ball?
Yeah, blaming an extremely talented supporting cast makes zero sense.
Old 01-01-2014   #1183
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Well let's start with the two positions you called out -- OL and WR. Matthews is currently a top 5 projected pick and the #1 lineman in the draft. Evans is one of the top two wideouts in football. Both are likely first round picks. If Ogbuehi leaves he could easily go in the first as well. Texas A&M is likely to have more offensive players taken in the first round than any other college. How can you MISS their talent on that side of the ball?
Mathews is the most over rated Player in this draft. Evans is good as I said. So who else is top rated player? One over rated OL and one really good WR is does not constitute "surrounded by talent". Minus QB, There are way more talented offenses out there.
Old 01-01-2014   #1184
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yup, same **** different player. Texans always falling in love with the local talent. It's going to be a long offseason.
Just like you falling in love with a Seminole QB?
Old 01-01-2014   #1185
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I like a QB with great arm strength and accuracy. JM and Bridgewater have accuracy but lack the arm strngth to become a top level pro QB. It's possible they could develop the arm strength but I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe after seeing Schaub's lack of arm strength and how it limited the offense over the yrs I'm jaded. Lack of arm strength and lack of height concern me as to how JM's game will translate to the next level.

I do rate JM slightly ahead of Bridgewater. Bortles is my #1 QB this yr followed by Mettenberger.

1. Bortles
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Johny Football
5. Bridgewater
6. Brett Smith
So would you consider taking Bortles #1 overall?
Old 01-01-2014   #1186
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, blaming an extremely talented supporting cast makes zero sense.
Extremely talented? Who? There are two guys that will be drafted. Who else is even draftable on that offense? Maybe the one other OL he mentioned.
Old 01-01-2014   #1187
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
So would you consider taking Bortles #1 overall?
He's rated #2 on my board right now. I do want to see how Bortles does in his bowl game and the combine. So these rankings are subject to change.

1.Clowney
2.Bortles
3. Watkins
4. Barr
5. Matthews
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014   #1188
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if O'Brien will think Manziel is the guy. If he does then I'm riding with it 100%. If not I wish him success whenever he's not playing the Texans. The fact that there is a grown man discrediting him because of his first name is comical. Sounds like someone else needs to grow up.

The performance he had yesterday was off the charts.
Old 01-01-2014   #1189
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we please knock it off with the Matthews crap now? It's pretty obvious he isn't a #1 talent.
Old 01-01-2014   #1190
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Johnny Unitas is rolling over in his grave
Johnny Carson too.... Johnny Cash.... & if he were real, Johnny Ringo.
Old 01-01-2014   #1191
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Johnny Carson too.... Johnny Cash.... & if he were real, Johnny Ringo.
Johnny Ringo was real.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 01-01-2014   #1192
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel is changing my mind a little bit. I still don't want to draft him, but not for the same reasons.

His skill set is exciting as hell. But it's also not sustainable at the NFL level. It just isn't. The #1 reason I don't want him on the Texans is because he will have to change his style of play to adjust to the pro level. And that scares me. I don't like evaluating him as an elite prospect based on skills that will have to be altered for him to succeed long term in the NFL.

There is now no doubt in my mind that Manziel could be a star in the NFL for three or four years before he gets worn down and is forced to alter his style of play. But is that small window worth the #1 pick?

I would just prefer that someone else take the risk. No QB has ever been successful in the NFL long term by playing the way he does. He's too reliant on his legs. He can either play that way and be great for a short time or he can change it and risk losing what makes him special.

I'm not saying he can't be a successful NFL QB. I'm just saying that he needs a ton of work and I would rather another franchise take the risk.
Old 01-01-2014   #1193
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
If Bill thinks Manziel is the guy, I'd be ok with it.
Really? <-- That guy?

He's funny & all, a cool cat.... but get a couple beers in him & he'll think anybody is "the guy"
Old 01-01-2014   #1194
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

is it just me or his manziel the anti-luck. imagine those two going up against it twice a year i think it would become quite a rivalry for many years
Old 01-01-2014   #1195
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Manziel is changing my mind a little bit. I still don't want to draft him, but not for the same reasons.

His skill set is exciting as hell. But it's also not sustainable at the NFL level. It just isn't. The #1 reason I don't want him on the Texans is because he will have to change his style of play to adjust to the pro level. And that scares me. I don't like evaluating him as an elite prospect based on skills that will have to be altered for him to succeed long term in the NFL.

There is now no doubt in my mind that Manziel could be a star in the NFL for three or four years before he gets worn down and is forced to alter his style of play. But is that small window worth the #1 pick?

I would just prefer that someone else take the risk. No QB has ever been successful in the NFL long term by playing the way he does. He's too reliant on his legs. He can either play that way and be great for a short time or he can change it and risk losing what makes him special.

I'm not saying he can't be a successful NFL QB. I'm just saying that he needs a ton of work and I would rather another franchise take the risk.
This is what I keep thinking but...

he has reduced his '1-2-run' quite a bit this season. If he had an across the board better oline not just OTs and Foster? I would compare his WRs in college to AJ and Hopkins. If you got Manziel on a trade down and could add say Cyril Richardson in late first for LG and JuWuan James in third the Oline would look pretty solid & perhaps Johnny would rely even more on his arm. He just seems to be Pam in a skillet & makes things happens. He usually has at least one highlight play each game. He has an arm, accuracy (80% against Duke with 10 avg.) and football smarts. He is a leader personified and if we like new coach because of his "get in your face" approach, Manziel is his clone.

Two things I keep thinking. McCarron is knocked because he does everything correct including wins and has not had to carry a team.

Manziel is knocked because we cannot imagine his game lasting in the NFL.

Old 01-02-2014   #1196
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup, same **** different player. Texans always falling in love with the local talent. It's going to be a long offseason.
So much truth in this simple post its ridiculous.....got dudes in here suggesting in so many words for us to draft a guy b/c he's "exciting"..... Lol. Its the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a while.

And while i couldn't stand VY, he was a much more exciting player imo..i dont remember him putting up very many stinkers and dude was single handedly winning games...what he did in those 2 rose bowl games alone is light years better than anything exciting Manziel did...
Old 01-02-2014   #1197
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
So much truth in this simple post its ridiculous.....got dudes in here suggesting in so many words for us to draft a guy b/c he's "exciting"..... Lol. Its the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a while.

And while i couldn't stand VY, he was a much more exciting player imo..i dont remember him putting up very many stinkers and dude was single handedly winning games...what he did in those 2 rose bowl games alone is light years better than anything exciting Manziel did...
Yep, VY was God. Imagine what he could've done with a decent defense. Why he could've put up Manziel-like numbers against top-rated defenses. Oh wait...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2014   #1198
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 159304 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't know his name is Jonathan. In that case it's Jonny Football.
Old 01-02-2014   #1199
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
is it just me or his manziel the anti-luck. imagine those two going up against it twice a year i think it would become quite a rivalry for many years
Nope, you got it, Johnny Football is going to be the new, "Greatest Show on Turf".
Old 01-02-2014   #1200
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Extremely talented? Who? There are two guys that will be drafted. Who else is even draftable on that offense? Maybe the one other OL he mentioned.
Umm if those three and Johnny all go in the first that would be a record for first round picks from one school on offense.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read