Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Manziel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

100% Texan
The ole Kerrville boy was kicking butt today in the first half against South Carolina

Aggies up 49-7 at half

15-20 173 yards 3 TDs 197.2 QB rating (sacked 2)

8 rushes 78 yards 2 TD's

Showers is in for the Aggies now

This is probably the most college football I have ever watched outside of bowl games. I am a UT fan so I never really watched the Aggies. I am just keeping on eye on the local kid

However the SEC is coming so.....things will get A LOT tougher for him and Aggies

sakebomb

Veteran
Of course he looked good. South Carolina State is worse than some of the high school teams he faced in the past. :spin:

Hopefully he can duplicate the numbers during SEC games.

Gig em.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Incredible game for Manziel, I can't believe he's a freshman. He looks very promising for the future. I'm much more hopeful that we will at least make a bowl game this year after the game today. I think we can beat the Mississippis, Auburn, Missouri and the two non-sec schools. That would give us a record of 9-3. Probably won't win all of those, so I think 8-4 is more reasonable, but I'll be disappointed if we don't win at least 7 at this point.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Manziel looks like a stud.

A&M has a bright futre with him.

Wish the Horns had recruited him as a QB.

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
Things will only get better for him and the Aggies as a whole. Prospects want to play in the SEC. I foresee them getting quite a few highly rated guys who would have otherwise gone to UT, OU, etc....

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would love to see him end up as a Texan but I hope we're not drafting in the top 2 in a few years.

EDIT: If he keeps it up, I wouldn't be against trading up to get him....

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
He sure is fun to watch. Can't say I wouldn't want him on the Texans, but it's a bit too early to be slotting him for the NFL draft. He's not an exceptional passer IMO, and he takes too many risks running around the backfield for 10+ seconds sometimes. That sort of stuff doesnt translate to the NFL very well. Love him in College though.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He sure is fun to watch. Can't say I wouldn't want him on the Texans, but it's a bit too early to be slotting him for the NFL draft. He's not an exceptional passer IMO, and he takes too many risks running around the backfield for 10+ seconds sometimes. That sort of stuff doesnt translate to the NFL very well. Love him in College though.
WTF are you talking about?? The kid is accurate as hell on bootlegs, he's mobile and can extend drives with his legs. He's displaying all of this in every game. He's Schaub with wheels. Ya know, if Brett Favra had been in Kubiaks system, he'd be a 1st ballot HOF'er.

Stemp

Brew Master
WTF are you talking about?? The kid is accurate as hell on bootlegs, he's mobile and can extend drives with his legs. He's displaying all of this in every game. He's Schaub with wheels. Ya know, if Brett Favra had been in Kubiaks system, he'd be a 1st ballot HOF'er.
He's only a freshman. As good as he is, he will be better in 2 or 3 years.

BTW, he just ran for 75 yards for a TD to put A&M back up by 3 scores.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
A good amount of his completions come from broken plays because he chose not to throw it to a WR during their route. Those completions simply won't happen much in the NFL, and would likely be sacks, TFLs or throw aways. His play style is similar to Vince Young in that much of his positive yardage comes from these sorts of broken plays, and I'm not going to overlook that when draft time comes. It's great that he can make something happen, but I'd rather have a disciplined QB that will go through his progressions and hit receivers in stride more often than not.

He also has the issue that guys like Vick, RG3 and Cam have where the QB likes to run the ball too much and will put himself in harms way. It's not always a bad thing, but I'd rather see my QB get it done more often with passes than runs. It's great if they are mobile enough to pick up the 1st, but I would prefer that to not happen too often so we don't see the QB get injured.

It's just his first year though, so I hope to see improvement in these areas, most importantly less reliance on running and more on passing. Hell of player though, and I"m more excited for A&M football than I ever have been before. I expect the Manziel for Heisman campaign should start this week, and rightfully so. :)

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Well, I'm sure Sumlin won't want Manziel to be a total Vince Young clone. I agree, that doesn't translate too well to the NFL. Sumlin does want him to stick in the pocket and only use his feet when necessary, because those big SEC linebackers will lay some hurt on him if he tries running too much.

Give him a few years, and see what he does. I think he's got Heisman potential.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Well.... that should end any Heisman talk for now.

Florida used the same alignment in the second half of their game as well. If LSU had any sort of offense that game wouldn't have been as close.

Kid's a gamer now and he's going to get better in Sumlin's offense though and when he fully gets it, it's going to be scary for opponents.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
LSU was by far his worst game of the season in every way possible. He couldn't break free from the pocket to get into the open field and run, he couldn't hit some of his passes, and he was sacked 3 times. 17 rushes for 27 yards is really really bad. Being forced almost exclusively into the pocket passer style in order to move the chains, just did not suit him. I'm sure he will get better, but I'm just concerned about the team's inability to move the ball sometimes. Wasting that great return by Williams that resulted in a missed FG was awful. That FG and the XP missed could have made a huge difference in the way they played the end of the game.

Oh well, easy win against Auburn coming up, hope it instills some confidence so they can at least make @Bama a decent game.

Wolf

100% Texan
He is killing auburn two passing and two rushing td's before halftime

42-7. Auburn might want to keep on walking past the lockerroom and out of the stadium

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Manziel will be the number one pick in whatever draft he enters. I will cite this thread in a few years when it happens. Mark it down.
He is pretty darn special as a college QB .... I know a team out there will use an early pick on him .... #1 overall , strong possibility.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Manziel will be the number one pick in whatever draft he enters. I will cite this thread in a few years when it happens. Mark it down.
At 6'1" he's going to have that height knock on him all the way up to his eventual entrance into the NFL. A bigger concern could be as he takes off in the next few years out of the pocket will he hold up to the punishing hits SEC defenses can lay down.

Though Russel Wilson seems to be doing pretty good right now. Though Wilson even going to his last year in Wisc was a pretty polished passer.

His evolution as a QB is going to be in his understanding of passing lanes and running lanes in college. Right now the two teams that totally bottled him up stuck to their run lanes and didn't give him that run outlet that right now is an essential part of his game.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Manziel is going to need to make a lot of strides strictly as a passer over the next couple of seasons.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
You ran into Manziel at a party? That's pretty cool.

The only football player I've seen is the MLB Jonathan Stewart on my way to Blocker for Calculus lol

Also... damn, girl.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He is pretty darn special as a college QB .... I know a team out there will use an early pick on him .... #1 overall , strong possibility.
Who is the last 6'0 QB to be picked in the 1st rd (Much less #1 overall) besides Vick?

Aggie homerism overcoming you?

BTW, Manziel is a stud. Doing what he's doing as a freshman in the SEC is unbelievable

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Brandon Weeden shouldn't have been a first round pick. The guy is old. But some needy team always reaches for a QB. That being said...

If Manziel becomes a polished passer by the end of his collegiate career, he's going to be infinitely more deadly than Michael Vick can ever be.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Who is the last 6'0 QB to be picked in the 1st rd (Much less #1 overall) besides Vick?

Aggie homerism overcoming you?

BTW, Manziel is a stud. Doing what he's doing as a freshman in the SEC is unbelievable
Though your point is very valid - his height could easily knock him down.

Also we'll just have to see which other QBs enter the draft. He could easily be 2nd or 3rd best QB in a given draft and go first round, or he could be in a class loaded with QBs and fall some.

Wolf

100% Texan
JFF has them up early on Alabama 14-0

I don't think the aggies defense will hold but it is a good start

Say Watt

Hall of Fame
This guy is a blast to watch. Regardless of what happens today, it is a treat getting to watch Johnny Football.

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
The fact that Sumlin won't let him talk to the press is just adding to the mystique right now.

ESPN wanted an interview with him for their segment this week, and Sumlin said no.

I like the policy, keep him protected as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.