Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014   #3801
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Well, I wasn't yelling through the whole draft, "Take Foster! Take Foster!"

I also had a conniption when they took DeMeco Ryans, because I was so sure that was a bad pick.

I also did a WTF? on JJ Watt, but at least I didn't complain, because I felt sorry for him when fans booed.

Only time I remember actually being right was when I wanted Darrell Revis.

I'll get over it.

Old 05-09-2014   #3802
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not comparing the Texans to the Browns. You crossed that bridge. I'm not saying to mortgage the farm. But, Cleveland did VERY little last night to move up to take Manziel. Minnesota did even less to move up to take Bridgewater. The Texans sat on their hands.

The Texans have won being boring, but fold when it matters. How many times did they crater in the spotlight? There is no excitement with this team. The only time I've ever really felt it with them is the first game, the first playoff win and the first half of the game when Keenum started lighting up the Colts (I think it was the Colts). They took a chance then to see what would stick. They had a chance to be exciting last night and failed. That may be enough for you to enjoy 8-8, 9-7 seasons with the occasional 12-4 season with one playoff win. It's not enough for me.

Face it, the Texans are a 2-14 team. They aren't going to be better right away. But, they got to that old point doing things the safe way. It did not pay off. I don't see why they appear to want to stay on that route.

I'm interested to see what O'Brien does, but Rick Smith is part of the old boring regime. Is the boringness a product of Kubiak? Is it part of the front office having not guts? I don't know at this point. But, I'll be surprised at this point if the Texans have more than 6 wins this year.

At this point, they should take a DL or OL with the second round and wait for Savage or Murray. Heck, why not wait until the 5th for Logan Thomas??

I've pumped Texans sunshine long enough. I'm fed up with it. Again -- my opinion.
Old 05-09-2014   #3803
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Well, I wasn't yelling through the whole draft, "Take Foster! Take Foster!"

I also had a conniption when they took DeMeco Ryans, because I was so sure that was a bad pick.

I also did a WTF? on JJ Watt, but at least I didn't complain, because I felt sorry for him when fans booed.

Only time I remember actually being right was when I wanted Darrell Revis.

I'll get over it.
Not to toot my own horn (well maybe just a little), but I was dying to draft Patrick Willis or Darrell Revis in the Amobi draft, told Foster when I met him his rookie season that he was going to be our future stud RB, called for Kubiak's head after the 2010 season and wanted Jim Harbaugh, was thrilled when we drafted Demeco and even wanted to trade up into the first to get him (thankfully we didn't have to), and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs when we signed Schaub to that stupid extension following the lisfranc injury.

Nobody bats 1.000 but based on the Texans track record, I can't say I have a whole lot of faith in this organization. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I'm tired of the ineptitude. And for gosh sakes at least fire guys when they have proven they suck! What in the hell is Rick Smith still doing as GM of the football team?!?
Old 05-09-2014   #3804
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Not to toot my own horn (well maybe just a little), but I was dying to draft Patrick Willis or Darrell Revis in the Amobi draft, told Foster when I met him his rookie season that he was going to be our future stud RB, called for Kubiak's head after the 2010 season and wanted Jim Harbaugh, was thrilled when we drafted Demeco and even wanted to trade up into the first to get him (thankfully we didn't have to), and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs when we signed Schaub to that stupid extension following the lisfranc injury.

Nobody bats 1.000 but based on the Texans track record, I can't say I have a whole lot of faith in this organization. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I'm tired of the ineptitude. And for gosh sakes at least fire guys when they have proven they suck! What in the hell is Rick Smith still doing as GM of the football team?!?
Plus your user name has "Watt" in it and you joined in 2006. That's a pretty good prediction.
Old 05-09-2014   #3805
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Drafting Clowney doesn't strike me as boring.
Old 05-09-2014   #3806
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by agproducer View Post
I was not comparing the Texans to the Browns. You crossed that bridge. I'm not saying to mortgage the farm. But, Cleveland did VERY little last night to move up to take Manziel. Minnesota did even less to move up to take Bridgewater. The Texans sat on their hands.

The Texans have won being boring, but fold when it matters. How many times did they crater in the spotlight? There is no excitement with this team. The only time I've ever really felt it with them is the first game, the first playoff win and the first half of the game when Keenum started lighting up the Colts (I think it was the Colts). They took a chance then to see what would stick. They had a chance to be exciting last night and failed. That may be enough for you to enjoy 8-8, 9-7 seasons with the occasional 12-4 season with one playoff win. It's not enough for me.

Face it, the Texans are a 2-14 team. They aren't going to be better right away. But, they got to that old point doing things the safe way. It did not pay off. I don't see why they appear to want to stay on that route.

I'm interested to see what O'Brien does, but Rick Smith is part of the old boring regime. Is the boringness a product of Kubiak? Is it part of the front office having not guts? I don't know at this point. But, I'll be surprised at this point if the Texans have more than 6 wins this year.

At this point, they should take a DL or OL with the second round and wait for Savage or Murray. Heck, why not wait until the 5th for Logan Thomas??

I've pumped Texans sunshine long enough. I'm fed up with it. Again -- my opinion.
Man, you summarized my feelings EXACTLY. Great post. MSR.

The sunshine pumpers can keep telling themselves everything is going to get better, but the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Look, I HOPE O'Brien is the savior, just like I HOPED Kubiak was the savior. When David Carr was our QB, I quoted every stat in the book for why he was going to turn it around and become our franchise QB. When Amobi Okoye looked like a bust, I found every reason I could to build the guy up and make myself believe he just needed more time, when Kubiak hung around after 2010 I pumped myself up believing the Wade hire was going to change history and the Texans fortunes were now going to head in the right direction (which they did for a nice two year period), and when Matt Schaub received the extension I tried to calm myself down and convince myself that he was now going to be better than he ever was before.

I'm tired of having to convince myself the Texans are an inept football organization. We can make fun of the Browns all we want but in Texans history, our record is 79-113 while the Browns in that same time span is 65-127. Have they been worse than us? Of course! But we are a hell of a lot closer to Cleveland South than we are to Denver South or New England South.
Old 05-09-2014   #3807
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all see that leaked scouting report from the Pats on Manziel??

Not very flattering.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2014   #3808
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney was the so-called "safe" pick. I'm not against the Clowney pick. The Texans never roll the dice on anything, except on an umpteeth TE.
Old 05-09-2014   #3809
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Plus your user name has "Watt" in it and you joined in 2006. That's a pretty good prediction.
Pretty amazing prediction, huh?!
Old 05-09-2014   #3810
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Heere's a snippet:

Quote:
JL 8/22 -Vibe on this guy keeps getting worse. Support staff members are sick of him and ready for him to go. Described as a cocky, me-guy. Loves football, FBI is high as well. Everything has been pretty well-documented in online articles about the kid, but sources say he's a spoiled brat (grandfather gives him allowance, father bought him luxury car). They say he was getting on people's nerves during the '12 season, but it went to another level after the ALUN game. Seems to enjoy putting himself in situations where he knows attention will follow him (TXUN frat party during summer). CONCERNS: Off-field behavior, cockiness, maturity
http://deadspin.com/leaked-internal-...-li-1574040417
Old 05-09-2014   #3811
agproducer
Rookie

The Manziel report is likely a fake -- according to the Pats beat reporter. But, the deadspin article could be legit. You do have to question it though when the so called source is the "Brobible."
Old 05-09-2014   #3812
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Manziel report is likely a fake -- according to the Pats beat reporter.

Could be.

But it seems legit to me. JMO.

Can't see why someone would make up a fake Patriots scouting report on Manziel...Ted Johnson seems to think it could possibly be real...
Old 05-09-2014   #3813
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney was the so-called "safe" pick. I'm not against the Clowney pick. The Texans never roll the dice on anything, except on an umpteeth TE.
There's nothing safe about drafting a pass rusher with 3 sacks in his last college season, imo.

Safe would have been Jake Matthews or taking a low ball offer to trade back.
Old 05-09-2014   #3814
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
JL 10/15 - Suspended first half of TXRI game for autograph scandal. Couple of TXTC sources say can't yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from Kingsbury in the past. Has an avg. work ethic, came to 4 of 32 summer '13 workouts, and quit going to in-season workouts late in '12. Doesn't study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in '12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during '12 was before ALUN. Comes from 'outlaw bloodlines', mom moved the family to Kerrville to get away from father's wild family. Father's family is said to be very shady people, always into something, they are the root of Johnny's personality. 'What you see on TV and how he is portrayed, that's him; but when you talk to him, you'll like him'. Coaches love his tuffs/competes, they want to go to war with him, but 'Johnny will be Johnny' during the week. Knows how to scheme the system, arrogant and full of himself, but he's not smug to coaches. Has been like this since Day 1, has never gone to class, goes to beat of own drum, but has ultimate confidence. Loves the spotlight, football is his release, big games don't scare him. Has size 15 feet and freakishly big hands. Will drink, but no one I spoke with think he's a smoker. Teammates don't dislike him, but there's some resentment, more so in the offseason when he isn't coming to workouts and they are busting their butt. Loner, doesn't hang out with the guys, but very close with WR Mike Evans. Already has money, is used to spotlight, has already been exposed to NFL-level fame. Will never take football seriously enough for our coaching staff, he'll hate meetings, will have to drag him to work out, etc. The definition of the word maintenance. CONCERNS: Maturity, passion for preparation, high-maintenance, work ethic
From the Deadspin writer:

Quote:
As far as we can tell, the initials "JL" belong to James Liipfert, a former Georgia Tech football player who joined the Patriots' scouting department in 2009. It's fun to watch the progression of his feelings about Manziel in the "Character" section. In the first entry, dated Aug. 1, he seems to think Manziel is an OK guy. By Oct. 15, he's completely written him off, and Manziel's list of concerns has grown from "Off-field behavior/lifestyle" to "Off-field behavior, cockiness, maturity, passion for preparation, high-maintenance, work ethic."

There's also a part at the end about Manziel's body that includes the phrase "High, knotted calves, with pretty gd. thickness through the thighs and bubble." The life of an NFL prospect is a strange one.
http://deadspin.com/leaked-internal-...-li-1574040417
Old 05-09-2014   #3815
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
And more...

Quote:
JL 10/15 - Suspended first half of TXRI game for autograph scandal. Couple of TXTC sources say can't yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from Kingsbury in the past. Has an avg. work ethic, came to 4 of 32 summer '13 workouts, and quit going to in-season workouts late in '12. Doesn't study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in '12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during '12 was before ALUN. Comes from 'outlaw bloodlines', mom moved the family to Kerrville to get away from father's wild family. Father's family is said to be very shady people, always into something, they are the root of Johnny's personality. 'What you see on TV and how he is portrayed, that's him; but when you talk to him, you'll like him'. Coaches love his tuffs/competes, they want to go to war with him, but 'Johnny will be Johnny' during the week. Knows how to scheme the system, arrogant and full of himself, but he's not smug to coaches. Has been like this since Day 1, has never gone to class, goes to beat of own drum, but has ultimate confidence. Loves the spotlight, football is his release, big games don't scare him. Has size 15 feet and freakishly big hands. Will drink, but no one I spoke with think he's a smoker. Teammates don't dislike him, but there's some resentment, more so in the offseason when he isn't coming to workouts and they are busting their butt. Loner, doesn't hang out with the guys, but very close with WR Mike Evans. Already has money, is used to spotlight, has already been exposed to NFL-level fame. Will never take football seriously enough for our coaching staff, he'll hate meetings, will have to drag him to work out, etc. The definition of the word maintenance. CONCERNS: Maturity, passion for preparation, high-maintenance, work ethic
Haters gonna hate
Old 05-09-2014   #3816
agproducer
Rookie

Noxious-

Clowney was the consensus #1 pick. That's pretty "safe" in my book.
Old 05-09-2014   #3817
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to your old account truroyalty? And I thought you were Rey.
Old 05-09-2014   #3818
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the Pats don't want him. They only like killers and thugs up there
Old 05-09-2014   #3819
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL at the boring argument. The New York Giants have been boring for as long as Coughlin has been there. Seems like they've been okay.
Old 05-09-2014   #3820
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
Noxious-

Clowney was the consensus #1 pick. That's pretty "safe" in my book.
Our 61 page Clowney thread disagrees.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read