Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014   #3761
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

So Browns owner Jimmy Haslam stumbled across a homeless man who said two words to him, "Take Manziel", and that's when his mind was made up.
Old 05-09-2014   #3762
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So Browns owner Jimmy Haslam stumbled across a homeless man who said two words to him, "Take Manziel", and that's when his mind was made up.
Haha saw this on BR
Old 05-09-2014   #3763
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The only reason why it didn't reach a crisis level was because the guy fell like a rock and didn't go #3 ovrl to a divisional rival... He went to the Browns. LOL, The Browns.... Good luck Johny

Factory of Sadness to Factory of Madness

maybe he changes things there. Wish him luck.
Old 05-09-2014   #3764
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 35273 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

was he the only one that did something like the money sign? ugh...barf
Old 05-09-2014   #3765
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

2007 - Brady Quinn drafted at #22

2012 - Brandon Weeden drafted at #22

2014 - Johnny Manziel drafted at #22

wow this is gonna be deja vu' all over again for the Brownies....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
Old 05-09-2014   #3766
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
was he the only one that did something like the money sign? ugh...barf
get over that. he has been doing the Drake thing for 2 years now...

Now him going to Cleveland, that is a reason to ugh....barf

Old 05-09-2014   #3767
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I think that whole Manziel thing on this board is overblown. I can only think of one crazy pro-Manziel guy and that was the dude trying to convince everyone that Teddy Bridgewater was a crossdresser.

If this was as bad as the VY love, the VY love must not have been very bad.
'06 was much, much worse.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2014   #3768
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
'06 was much, much worse.
06 WAS worse fresh off a championship game of ages. I didn't go into the draft rooting against Manziel but I cant lie... I enjoyed watching him squirm as the picks kept going and going without his selection. Odds are against him now. Qb's go to Cleveland to fail.
Old 05-09-2014   #3769
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I feel the same way. I hate this draft just as much as I did when we selected Mario. Worse actually, because we drafted another player just like Mario with the first pick again and this guy's rep is even worse than what Mario's was. The Texans totally caved to the media pressure on this one. They tried and tried to trade the pick and no one wanted the once in a 30 year hype machine. So we took him since he was allegedly the only player worth the #1 pick. The Texans never learn from their mistakes. They just repeat them. Picking lazy Dlineman with motivation problems usually ends up in disappointment. I wasn't huge on wanting Manziel, but I would have been happy with that pick due to his excitement he brings. Now we might end up with Mallet?? Uuuhhhh!!! My excitement for this up coming season has totally dwindled when I was stoked for this new HC before. They're going down the same road Kubiak created when he first got here thus far.
Yeah that's just a little untrue. The fact is they were asking for 3 #1's. Everyone wanted Clowney, but nobody was willing to trade the house for him. I bet if the asking price was 2 #1's instead of 3, they would have traded the pick. They knew who they were going to take all along, and only a blockbuster deal was going to change that.

You rag the Texans for not taking Manziel, yet 21 other teams, many with just as big a need for a QB as the Texans, but passed on him also.

Sorry, but Manziel ended up were he belongs. Having said that, I honestly think he has a chance to do well there. On paper they look like a nice squad. As a Texan, not so much.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 05-09-2014   #3770
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I feel the same way. I hate this draft just as much as I did when we selected Mario. Worse actually, because we drafted another player just like Mario with the first pick again and this guy's rep is even worse than what Mario's was. The Texans totally caved to the media pressure on this one. They tried and tried to trade the pick and no one wanted the once in a 30 year hype machine. So we took him since he was allegedly the only player worth the #1 pick. The Texans never learn from their mistakes. They just repeat them. Picking lazy Dlineman with motivation problems usually ends up in disappointment. I wasn't huge on wanting Manziel, but I would have been happy with that pick due to his excitement he brings. Now we might end up with Mallet?? Uuuhhhh!!! My excitement for this up coming season has totally dwindled when I was stoked for this new HC before. They're going down the same road Kubiak created when he first got here thus far.
Wow. Chill out. Give the team a chance to prove you wrong. Clowney was the right pick imo. Manziel is leprechaun rainbows and fairy dust. Give Cleveland a chance to show you the true Tim Tebo...err Manziel, and you'll see.
Old 05-09-2014   #3771
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Sorry, but Manziel ended up were he belongs. Having said that, I honestly think he has a chance to do well there. On paper they look like a nice squad. As a Texan, not so much.
On paper they look like a better team than Houston? I'm not buying that. Granted I like the talent they've been collecting, but I don't think they're any better than we are when it counts.

Maybe they can rally behind Manziel & accomplish things they couldn't last season... but if I recall correctly, that's what "everybody" was saying our problem was last season. That even our LBs didn't believe in Matt Schaub & therefore didn't play to the best of their ability.
Old 05-09-2014   #3772
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
MSR.... my thoughts exactly... told everyone at our draft party last night.... Mario Williams II... only lazier.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 05-09-2014   #3773
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
On paper they look like a better team than Houston? I'm not buying that. Granted I like the talent they've been collecting, but I don't think they're any better than we are when it counts.

Maybe they can rally behind Manziel & accomplish things they couldn't last season... but if I recall correctly, that's what "everybody" was saying our problem was last season. That even our LBs didn't believe in Matt Schaub & therefore didn't play to the best of their ability.
I said they look like a pretty good squad on Paper. Never said anything about looking better than the Texans on paper. I said Manziel has a better chance of succeeding there, than here.

Yea nice excuse for poor LB play. It's all Schaub's fault? That's a good one. Seems like I have seen this movie before. Everything is Bush's fault right? When are players going to be held accountable for their poor play? The myth that players did not believe in Schaub is just that. A Myth. Even if it were true, who could justify getting paid all that money to decide not to play up to your abilities because you do not believe in your QB? Schaub is a convenient scape goat, but at some point, players have to take ownership of their own piss poor play and stop blaming their failures on someone else.

The Texans failed as a team last season because of the "Super Bowl or Bust" pressure they, and the fan base put on them, and they chose bust rather than Super Bowl. Even inserting the proverbial Cinderella QB did not help, in fact, when Schaub was re-inserted into that game, the team played harder and moved the ball. So the idea that the team did not believe in Schaub is the reason they failed is as ridiculous as Johnny Manziel being drafted #1 overall. But once again it was Kubiak's fault, or Wade Phillips fault, not the players, right?

As far as who is better when it counts, the Browns finished ahead of the Texans last season in just about every category, and play in a much tougher division, so I think you might be over estimating our beloved Texans.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 05-09-2014   #3774
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
2007 - Brady Quinn drafted at #22

2012 - Brandon Weeden drafted at #22

2014 - Johnny Manziel drafted at #22

wow this is gonna be deja vu' all over again for the Brownies....
Third time's the charm?

or

Bad things come in threes?
Old 05-09-2014   #3775
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I said they look like a pretty good squad on Paper. Never said anything about looking better than the Texans on paper. I said Manziel has a better chance of succeeding there, than here.

As far as who is better when it counts, the Browns finished ahead of the Texans last season in just about every category, and play in a much tougher division, so I think you might be over estimating our beloved Texans.
Just not seeing it. If Manziel can succeed in Cleveland, he can succeed in Houston. I like Cleveland, on paper. The only thing they're missing is the belief they can win.

We looked like crap last season, but we've got players on our team that knows what winning feels like. It would be much easier, I think, to get the Texans to believe they can win.

& yes, I put a lot of stock in that belief.
Old 05-09-2014   #3776
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't think BillOB wanted any part of Manziel. If we had Bortles or Bridgewater, I wouldn't mind that.

Old 05-09-2014   #3777
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Skip Bayless just said Houston will forever regret not taking Manziel and that Manziel will be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron James ever was in Cleveland.......
Old 05-09-2014   #3778
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
Skip Bayless just said Houston will forever regret not taking Manziel and that Manziel will be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron James ever was in Cleveland.......
Just like we regretted passing on VY and him being the second coming in Tennessee. Glad they're both on the CLE roster now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-09-2014   #3779
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
Nah, but I think Manziel will be successful in Lil' Shanny's offense with all the bootlegs and screens. Shannahan's offense will also allow Manziel to extend plays with his feet, rather run for his life.

As long as Manziel is smart enough to slide or get out of bounds and avoid the bi hits...

It is gonna be an interesting year...

Old 05-09-2014   #3780
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I just think it's dumb we didn't trade up for either Manziel OR Bridgewater. Two top 15 caliber picks at the most important position on the field were available late in the first round, and we didn't take a risk and move up. That to me is why I am finding it very difficult right now to still consider myself a Texans fan.

This is a vanilla organization and always has been. We do not take chances, we are slow to adapt to change, and will for the foreseeable future remain a .500 football team. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, but I have been through this same song and dance for a decade now. Nice guys finish last, and the Texans most certainly are the nice guys of the NFL.

As for Johnny, I honestly think he is walking into an ideal situation. People can make fun of the Browns all they want, but they are now LOADED on offense. Their offensive line is a top 5 (top 10 at worse) unit, they have one of the top up-and coming WRs in the game in Josh Gordon, a QBs best friend in a top 5 TE in Jordan Cameron, and a pretty damn good RB (when healthy) in Ben Tate. The Browns defense was solid last year and just got better with the corner they drafted to play opposite of another top 10 quality corner in Joe Haden, and they still have a second round and two third round picks left to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read