Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2014   #3661
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Let's try this novel approach, let everyone be the kind of the fan they want to be without your righteous or disapproving approval. Or any kind of judgement from you for that matter. How unique would that be?
Of all folks to babble about "righteous or disapproving approval" - YOU, for real? I suppose your real goal in life is to be taken seriously. Perhaps one day your dreams will come true.

Let's make a deal: when you get hired by a professional football team to have ANY decision making power - even including the size jock straps they should wear - then I'll give you some respect that you seem so desperate to deserve.

Otherwise, continue to spew your vast untapped knowledge regardless of the little fact that you just watch the games like the rest of us.

Although, we might not grimace as much as you when we watch, so you've got that going for you.

Are you really attempting to argue that a fan of a team can actively root against that team and still be a fan?

We both have opinions. Difference is your's is just another in a sea of cheese to me.
Old 05-07-2014   #3662
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
It was that fans were more of a VY fan than a Texan fan That's why whey wore the jersey.

I just don't see how fans can come into any stadium with root for the Texans and (for example) when VY steps on the field start,then they start rooting for him to beat the Texans just so say "I told you so"

makes no sense to me.

same will go if people start doing the same thing with Manziel

I don't understand it. I am in the mode of I wish such and such will do good until he plays the Texans

Just a random thought here. Bottom line is if the Texans think Manziel is the best for them and they feel he fits in Bob's system they will draft him, if not big whoop. Lets see what they can do with who they got.

kinda like a lot of folks booing the Watt pick. A lot of people are crawdaddin' on their pre draft statements. Lets hope whoever the Texans pick will have an impact
Watch out, my friend! You too might earn the almighty Texian seal of Righteous or Disapproving Approval!! That - and $5 - will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

How dare you declare your allegiance to the team over an individual player!

Fairweather gonna' do what fairweather gotta' do.
Old 05-07-2014   #3663
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Never buy a jersey with a player's name on the back. Buy a jersey and put Your name on the back.

We are among the "Them"
Old 05-07-2014   #3664
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Let's try this novel approach, let everyone be the kind of the fan they want to be without your righteous or disapproving approval. Or any kind of judgement from you for that matter. How unique would that be?
DB made a very to the point, succinct response to you. Many folks tried to rep him for it and couldn't. I could, and did. I see DB's position as being to the point and frankly, spot on.

Really doesn't take long to finger people with a superiority complex, which of course is in their own mind.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 05-07-2014   #3665
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell I thought Cnd's picture was spot on. Manziel was a man among boys in Kerrville and he did the same thing as he did as A&M. He would roll out, buy time and no dispute what he did here and up in College Station.

I guess my concern is watching the Patriots and Brady (I am assuming Bob's offense will be similar but with some tweaks) . I just don't see Bob giving him the leash to freelance. I could be wrong..

however like I said. I do not know what Bob and the Texans system will be like.Also how would Manziel fit into a structured system? I don't know, they do
So I trust that they will make the right call.

All I can go on
Old 05-07-2014   #3666
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people are more a fan of certain college teams than they are Texans fans. From an outside perspective, which I have to imagine, I can understand that. Nothing really wrong with it.

BUT, you have to realize that these NFL teams just have to do whatever they think is best. VY had a ridiculous Wonderlic score and he wanted to play QB in the NFL, wanting to be selected #1 overall no-less. That's scary stuff. Manziel is a little undersized and wants to go #1 overall when his highlight reels are 95% him running around like he's Devin Hester on a kick-off return. The Texans brass will do whatever they think is best, taking trade offers, risk/reward, etc. into consideration. That might mean getting Manziel, but it probably won't. The odds were against every guy in this draft who thought they'd be #1, because nobody was clearly better than the 6 or so other guys.

I am from (well, 10 years living in) a certain town in the Hill Country that Mr. Football might be quite familiar with. QUITE FAMILIAR. I am right now sitting about half a mile from his High School stadium. I'd LOVE to see this guy in a Texans uniform. I'm not going to hate on the Texans for doing whatever they think is best.

Old 05-07-2014   #3667
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't know you were in Kerrville. If you listed "over there" I would have guessed Ingram,Center Point, or even Comfort
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2014   #3668
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't know you were in Kerrville. If you listed "over there" I would have guessed Ingram,Center Point, or even Comfort
Caught on quick, didn't you.

Guess I should've expected that, since you posted right before I said it.

Old 05-07-2014   #3669
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sometimes I see people with Texans jerseys on and wonder if it's you. Never have said anything.

Old 05-07-2014   #3670
Wolf
100% Texan

Haven't bought a jersey but a couple of Texans hats and a few shirts. In 2006 I think I was the only one with any hats or anything. I always thought how funny how more and more people started wearing Texan gear over the last few years LOL
Old 05-07-2014   #3671
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Haven't bought a jersey but a couple of Texans hats and a few shirts
Yeah, shouldn't have said jerseys, actually, because it's been a while and it might have just been shirts. I don't remember. I think the main guy I thought was you was probably older. I just realized you're younger than I thought, for some reason.

Old 05-07-2014   #3672
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Haven't bought a jersey but a couple of Texans hats and a few shirts. In 2006 I think I was the only one with any hats or anything. I always thought how funny how more and more people started wearing Texan gear over the last few years LOL
Yep. That's one thing that would accelerate if we actually got Manziel. Geez, would it accelerate.

Old 05-07-2014   #3673
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yep. That's one thing that would accelerate if we actually got Manziel. Geez, would it accelerate.
Kid you not. a few years ago I went to EVERY sporting place in Kerrville to find gear.. hell even HEB and Albertsons(being I was desperate).. only place I could find it was in Plano when I was at a mall visiting my dad there. I honestly couldn't believe it at the time
Old 05-07-2014   #3674
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Kid you not. a few years ago I went to EVERY sporting place in Kerrville to find gear.. hell even HEB and Albertsons(being I was desperate).. only place I could find it was in Plano when I was at a mall visiting my dad there. I honestly couldn't believe it at the time
Yeah, I've looked just at Wal-Mart a few times, but I just wound up ordering it. Most people here are still Cowboys fans from the 90s, but it's changing very slowly. I don't actually go for that a whole lot anyway. I have a couple of old shirts, one hat, and one large flag on my living room wall here. That's it.

Old 05-07-2014   #3675
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Yeah Double Barrel.

After-all, Texian is the smartest cat he's ever met.
I'm a LEGEND in my own mind.
Old 05-07-2014   #3676
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Of all folks to babble about "righteous or disapproving approval" - YOU, for real? I suppose your real goal in life is to be taken seriously. Perhaps one day your dreams will come true.

Let's make a deal: when you get hired by a professional football team to have ANY decision making power - even including the size jock straps they should wear - then I'll give you some respect that you seem so desperate to deserve.

Otherwise, continue to spew your vast untapped knowledge regardless of the little fact that you just watch the games like the rest of us.

Although, we might not grimace as much as you when we watch, so you've got that going for you.

Are you really attempting to argue that a fan of a team can actively root against that team and still be a fan?

We both have opinions. Difference is your's is just another in a sea of cheese to me.
Let's make a deal, let's agree that this is message board and that different ideas and messages are all welcome. And a message board is where you come to discuss, debate and learn about different subject matter. And that you and I can do just that whether anyone agrees with us or not or doesn't approve of what we may have to say.
Old 05-07-2014   #3677
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It was that fans were more of a VY fan than a Texan fan That's why whey wore the jersey.

I just don't see how fans can come into any stadium with root for the Texans and (for example) when VY steps on the field start,then they start rooting for him to beat the Texans just so say "I told you so"

makes no sense to me.
I get it. I got it then & I get it now. I don't understand spending another $8M to figure out a guy who has not shown the ability to play this game at this level can't play this game at this level.

Vince wasn't even supposed to come out, but because of an incredible National Championship victory & the fact that the Texans... the Houston Texans, his home team, had the #1 pick, he decided to come out.

& there's no doubt in my mind that Bud Adams demanded his team draft VY just to give the good ol city of Houston another F.U.

But being the kind of fan I am, I went ahead & bought my first David Carr Jersey because I knew there would be a lot of Vince Young Jerseys, even though I knew we would be looking for a new QB in 2007. I appreciate the fans who wore the UT jerseys instead of the Titans' jersey, but I also get that a lot of Houston Oiler fans are Tennessee Titans fans & that makes sense too... I don't like it. But it makes sense.

Manziel is going to get drafted by another team. & if people wear his jersey to the game... so be it. Texans fans telling the F.O. that they wanted Manziel... I get it.

But what I didn't get, & to this day do not understand, is how in the heck could Gary Kubiak & the Houston Texans not understand it's not "just another game" when Vince Young came to Reliant. You win that game, no matter what. Whatever you gotta do to get that team pumped & play like it's their Super Bowl, you gotta do it.

Those fans walking in with those VY jerseys.... Vince talking about, "This is my house" There were 53 people out there plus coaches, GMs, & Owners who could have shut those people up, but they came out & laid an egg... again, & again.

The Texans were soft & that nothing exemplified that like Vince Young, his fans, & the noise they made in Houston.
Old 05-07-2014   #3678
Wolf
100% Texan

I can't argue with that. Kubiak for some reason liked to downplay "big" games.

I honestly lost track how many games where the "playoff" word was used and the team laid an egg. or how "the biggest game in franchise history"..we laid an egg, or "we are on national TV" and some.. well you get the picture.

Very frustrating as a fan to get hyped up for a game when it seems the Texans staff was lackadaisical or nonchallant about it..

well hell I don't need to tell y'all we have all been in the game day threads or the monday morning quarterback threads
Old 05-07-2014   #3679
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Like you Kerville boys, I've watched Johnny play since HS. I stand by my trade down, but I'll not be forgiving if the Texans spend that 1st pick on a QB and it's not Manziel. Has nothing to do with anything more than my own experience watching football for more than 50yrs. He's the top QB coming out, and all the arguments to belay that are from those that have an axe to wield, or buy into the negativity put out there about the kid. I'd hate to see him playing for the Browns, but I hope with everything I've got we can work out a trade to build this team from the ground up, just too many holes to fill and one player is not going to accomplish those needs.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Old 05-07-2014   #3680
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I agree with both of you. CND is a good poster on this board, that was until his burnt orange butt hurt starting coming out in him. I have NEVER in the history of my time on this board seen him go so overboard to bash a player.

He, and others like him, act as if their word on all things Johnny Manziel is a word from god. In their minds, there is ZERO possibility that Manziel becomes a success in the NFL, and that was the purpose of my post.

You are all misunderstanding the purpose of my post. My desire is not to root against the Texans. My desire is to rub it in the faces of other Texans fans the success that Johnny Manziel might have in the NFL BECAUSE they have been so arrogant in their analysis of his future prospects.

Do I want Johnny Manziel on the Texans? Yes. Do I think he is the perfect QB prospect? No. I have many times throughout this thread talked about the areas Johnny Manziel needs to improve. I've also done my homework. I have watched every single game he has ever played, have read dozens of analysts on their thoughts on Manziel, watched the breakdown Gruden did with Manziel, and saw his improvement in many key areas at his pro day.

Unlike the anti-Manziel crowd, I have at least done my homework. Those like CND are just butt-hurt TU fans that can't handle having an Aggie succeed in the NFL. So that was why I was saying I can now understand some of what went on in the minds of the VY lovers. Perhaps some of them didn't want to root for Tennessee so much as they wanted to shove it in the face of other butt hurt Aggies and VY haters that simply couldn't handle having a player from UT drafted #1 by their beloved franchise.
Maybe you misstated in the original post? Calling a respected member of the forums a jerk is bound to bring criticism. I know...I've come out on the wrong end of a few bouts with ICak. There are ways to say things and ways not to say things. If I'm giving this advice, I'm apparently capable of learning...whoulda thunk it???
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read