Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014   #3501
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Everyone I could see on that list except the Eagles. I thought Foles last year proved to be one of the best young QBs in the NFL.
I thought the same thing. This is the full quote:
Quote:
Nick Foles went 8-2 as a starter last season with 24 touchdowns, two interceptions and a 67.4 Total QBR score in those games. That makes him untouchable, right? Not really. Coach Chip Kelly inherited Foles and fared much better than expected with him, but the QB coach referenced above thought the Eagles got above-average play from a below-average quarterback. The point is simply to avoid overreacting to one good partial season. Kelly recruited Manziel to Oregon (he verbally committed to the Ducks before ultimately choosing the Aggies), and he made some glowing comments about him recently. How could he not like Manziel for his offense? The fit would be perfect.
Old 05-01-2014   #3502
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

More fuel for that fire.

Quote:
There’s a rumor (apparently faulty) making the rounds about the Eagles moving up to try to get Johnny Manziel. I wouldn’t pass it along if the person who told me wasn’t smart and, to this point, reliable. But I just can’t see it, and I have someone who would know better than the rumor source telling me it absolutely won’t happen. Which seems smart to me, seeing that Nick Foles’ 27 touchdowns and two interceptions and 119.2 passer rating would be pretty damned foolish to throw out the window for Manziel. I just put it out there as an example of the kind of stuff that makes the rounds when so much of what happens at this time of year is designed to be a misdirection play. As Bills GM Doug Whaley said Friday, speaking to western New York reporters: “It’s finally one time where we can use you guys [reporters] to our advantage. There are things that you put out there to see if someone bites, and there are some things you put out there that are true. You have people read between the lines and you don’t want to show your hand. I’m sure everyone is doing the same thing.’’
Old 05-01-2014   #3503
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

MMQB: Would You Trust Your Offense to Him?

The biggest question of this draft concerns the biggest personality in it: Johnny Manziel. The MMQB sat down with five experts steeped in the quarterbacking business—David Cutcliffe, Mike Holmgren, Doug Flutie, Kevin Gilbride and Rich Gannon—to watch tape and judge how, or if, his talents will translate to the NFL
Quote:
DURHAM, N.C.—“He’s got great balance. How good is that throw? I mean, how good is that throw?” says Duke coach David Cutcliffe, watching Johnny Manziel video in his office.

RENTON, Wash.—“He’s all arm. He throws a lot of passes that way,” says former Brett Favre tutor Mike Holmgren, watching Manziel video near his Seattle home.

MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla.—“He can make every throw, and I don’t know every NFL offense from top to bottom, but just put him in the shotgun and spread the field out and let him play. You’ve got to find a way to let him play. He would be perfect for Chip Kelly,” says Doug Flutie, who was Manziel before there was a Manziel, watching Manziel video in his home hard by the Atlantic Ocean.

SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I.—“His mechanics are awful. It’s hard not to be influenced by the things you’ve heard, that the problem is lack of discipline. That manifests itself off the field and in the way he plays. Even just carrying out fakes—it’s just like, ‘Ah, screw it.’ Those guys don’t make it usually. But he’s athletic enough and talented enough that if he works, he can make it,” says longtime NFL offensive coach Kevin Gilbride, who retired after last season, watching Manziel video in his home a few long spirals from the New England coast.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn.—“The kid’s got the balls of a burglar,” says 2002 NFL MVP Rich Gannon, waching Manziel video near his Twin Cities home.

We came, we watched, we dissected. In the past month I watched coaches video of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with five of the smartest quarterback people I know. Specifically, we watched two games from 2013: Manziel’s two-man show (with wideout Mike Evans) in a thrilling narrow loss to Alabama, and Manziel’s s struggles to cope with a disciplined defensive front in a decisive loss to LSU...
Pretty good stuff in here from guys more courageous than "anonymous scout".
Old 05-01-2014   #3504
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought the same thing. This is the full quote:

27 TDs to 2 INTs in any instance is much better than above average. That would be fun to see and if they do make that trade, we should get on the phone and make a trade for Nick Foles ASAP.
Old 05-01-2014   #3505
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 05-01-2014   #3506
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
27 TDs to 2 INTs in any instance is much better than above average. That would be fun to see and if they do make that trade, we should get on the phone and make a trade for Nick Foles ASAP.
I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if they would take 33 for Foles?
Old 05-04-2014   #3507
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Well if Skip Bayless says it, it must be true!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/sto...nfl?src=mobile
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2014   #3508
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Quote:
Interesting take I got from one NFC executive yesterday: "If Johnny (Manziel) was 6-4, 230, he'd be a slam dunk for the first pick."
‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
Quote:
IF he were 6-4, 230 Mack Brown would still be #Texas HC
Quote:
If Russell Wilson were 6'4, 230, he would be a Super Bowl champion - oh wait...

if Johnny Manziel was 6-4, 230, he likely wouldn’t run away & chuck it up

I think we’d all be better off, in general, if we were 6-4, 230.

if my uncle had boobs, he'd be my aunt.

If Teddy Bridgewater was 6'4"/230 he'd be Andrew Luck

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-05-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2014   #3509
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Murray's girlfriend looks Damn good.
Old 05-05-2014   #3510
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post

I wonder if Skip Clueless gets a thrill up his leg when he sees JFF. That's a serious case of man-crush right there.
Old 05-05-2014   #3511
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Quote:

Even the doubters fear he could turn into a star.

On "First Take" the other day, Gruden told me: "I think he can create offense unlike most guys I've ever seen. And he has guts, quickness, vision, and he loves the big arena, the big stage. Guys like him don't come across the map very often.

"I called plays for 14 years [in the NFL] and this is the kind of kid I'm looking for. This is the kind of quarterback I want to be around. I just get a certain feeling when I'm in the room with him. I think he permeates confidence throughout the entire building. He just has a certain magic to him."

He makes some good points.
Old 05-05-2014   #3512
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't put a lot of stock into what Bayless says, but he's saying what I've said all along. There is something special about Manziel. The guy could transform this franchise. I'm so tired of the Texans not getting any play or respect nationally. Across the U.S., and in Texas, they're considered second tier. Houston fans put them number one, but no one else cares about the team. Johnny makes the Texans relevant nationally. He makes them better at the QB position. Does he have flaws? Yes, a lot of them. Can he improve? Yes. I think the Texans need him.

If I was in the Texans organization, he would be my first pick -- hands down.

But, the Texans won't do it. They will keep the status quo of mediocrity. Drafting a DE is not going to get you to the Super Bowl. The premier teams in the league have star-power -- they always have. Manning, Brady, Elway, Favre -- all have star power and charisma to them. David Carr, Schaub, Tony Banks -- they all did not. Keenum is the only QB ever on the Texans who has had an inkling of star power. The rest have been plain vanilla.

Think about this: Johnny is just 2 inches shorter and weighs about the same as Joe Montana. Montana wasn't the most polished passer out of college. But, the guy had drive and knew how to win. Guys on his team always had his back and believed that he could do it. Aggies who played with Manziel say the same thing.

Texans need to take a chance. But, I will say again -- they don't have the guts to do it. Manziel will make the Texans pay if they don't take him. Book it.
Old 05-05-2014   #3513
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

What kind of play or respect do you think we deserve? We haven't done **** and most every time we're on national TV we get embarrassed.

We deride ESPN then want their affection? **** that.
Old 05-05-2014   #3514
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be curious to find out if Keenum's inkling of star power helped him to a better winning percentage than vanilla guys like Carr, Schaub, and Banks..
Old 05-05-2014   #3515
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt gets the star treatment. Clowney seems to be primed for media love if he produces.
Old 05-05-2014   #3516
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Watt gets the star treatment. Clowney seems to be primed for media love if he produces.
Watt has earned his. The Clown hasn't. The jury is out on Clowney until he actually plays in the NFL. Watt? He's earned the star treatment. Non-story
Old 05-05-2014   #3517
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Watt has earned his. The Clown hasn't. The jury is out on Clowney until he actually plays in the NFL. Watt? He's earned the star treatment. Non-story
Best thing Watt could teach Clowney is how to reach out and touch/change the lives of our youngest. Jadeveon would become better at everything if he could learn that.
Old 05-06-2014   #3518
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Best thing Watt could teach Clowney is how to reach out and touch/change the lives of our youngest. Jadeveon would become better at everything if he could learn that.
This match is to perfect which is why I don't see it happening.
Old 05-06-2014   #3519
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Conventional NFL offenses ask the quarterback to pass from the pocket — read through your progressions, then throw to the best option. That’s what the system dictates.
But Johnny Manziel isn’t a system quarterback.
He built his legend at Texas A&M on his ability to freelance and improvise. He’s at his best when he’s out of the pocket on the move. When he’s scrambling, running, extending plays and creating havoc with his legs.
If you draft Manziel, he becomes your offense. His NFL team must craft a scheme that features what Johnny Football does best. That means letting go of what most offensive gurus consider sacred: their playbook.
Few offensive gurus would be willing to do that. Giving up their playbook and the ability to dictate plays would be giving up control of their own destiny as a coach.
That’s why I think there are only a handful of teams seriously considering Manziel: those teams whose head coaches have backgrounds on defense.
Those coaches aren’t worried about their ego on the offensive side of the ball. They can draft Manziel, then order their offensive staff to make it work.
Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland and Tampa Bay are all in the market for a quarterback, and all select in the top 10 of the NFL draft Thursday night. All but the Texans have head coaches with defensive backgrounds.
My guess is the Browns (head coach Mike Pettine), Jaguars (Gus Bradley), Vikings (Mike Zimmer), Raiders (Dennis Allen) and Buccaneers (Lovie Smith) will all know Johnny Manziel inside and out by the time they go on the clock Thursday night.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...ny-manziel.ece
Old 05-06-2014   #3520
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
OB, short of some "adjustments," will never (and should never) give up control of his offense and its playbook to a 21-year-old "partner coach".........and Manziel, even with attempts at some adjustments, will not be able to play within a well-structured OB playbook. When a QB is reasonably structured, the rest of the offense knows exactly what they need to do. When a QB is unstructured, it's virtually like playing sandlot football.........and NFL football is NOT sandlot football.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read