Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014   #3401
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Johnny Manziel and Jadeveon Clowney are meeting the the Texans today. Teams have till the 27th to finish all their visits.
Old 04-21-2014   #3402
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Stop the presses 2! Johnny Manziel is wearing maroon boxers while visiting Texans! No, I'm not there. Sources!

Stop the presses! Johnny Manziel, who's visiting the Texans today, just went to the bathroom! No. 1!
Old 04-21-2014   #3403
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Sounds like a jealous middle aged fat man.
Old 04-21-2014   #3404
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Quote:
Bill O'Brien and the Texans offensive staff are at dinner w/Johnny Manziel...
Old 04-21-2014   #3405
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
I ate dinner at about the same time (in my apartment) so maybe I will be selected #1. If I am I promise to buy some maroon underwear.
Old 04-23-2014   #3406
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Jeremiah: Johnny Manziel to St. Louis Rams 'a real possibility'
Quote:
St. Louis general manager Les Snead caused quite a stir Monday morning when he said in a radio interview that the Rams have been scouting quarterbacks for the 2014 NFL Draft. Despite sticking with his belief that Sam Bradford was the team's starter going forward, the comments about drafting another signal-caller this year certainly raised a few eyebrows around the league.

Most observers think that means the team will go after somebody on Day 2 or 3 of the draft as insurance for the oft-injured Bradford. But recent momentum seems to be building for the club to take one of the top quarterbacks in the draft class with a first-round pick. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout, said on "Path to the Draft" that he's hearing the team could actually be targeting one of the draft's biggest stars early in the first round.

"Take what you will with this, but this is out there," Jeremiah said. "(NFL personnel) are saying there's legitmate interest between the Rams and Johnny Manziel. There's at least buzz in personnel circles saying do not rule out Johnny Manziel to St. Louis."
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
Quote:
Ed Werder ESPN says it's possible if Johnny Manziel fell, that Dallas would draft him.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2014   #3407
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweet.. now the interest in the #1 overall has picked up. If you want Manziel, you're going to have to jump St.Louis... come to Houston.
Old 04-23-2014   #3408
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Sweet.. now the interest in the #1 overall has picked up. If you want Manziel, you're going to have to jump St.Louis... come to Houston.
I do believe that Jeremiah is gullible enough to believe this and and wouldn't be surprised if this rumor came from the Houston Texans.
Old 04-23-2014   #3409
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
sort of makes my trade proposal look pretty good.
Old 04-24-2014   #3410
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Have we talked about the leadership Manziel displayed during the game against Duke?

His team was getting whupped. Looked like nothing was going right for the fighting Aggies. Mike Evans was obviously frustrated & it showed.

Johnny wasn't perfect. He made as many mistakes as anyone else on the Aggie offense, if not more. I wouldn't doubt that the team gave up hope on the Johnny Magic & it looked to me like they had already resolved to lose that game.

But Johnny wasn't having it. The cameras showed him calming Mike Evans down, getting his mind back into the game. It didn't look like Evans wanted any part of it, he didn't want to talk to Johnny Manziel (maybe he blamed Manziel, who knows?), he turned away from him... but JFF did not give up.

Then we see Manziel talking to the whole team, telling them not to give up. Even though it looked like that game was over (I was ready to turn it off), the 2nd quarter started 21-3 Duke. It looked like Duke found the answer for Manziel & the Aggie defense looked like it had no clue (like they did all year long). But Manziel still believed they could win. Then the team believed they could win. Then they won.

I do not want to draft Johnny Manziel at 1-1, or 2-1. He's the third QB on my list. But I thought that was a very strong showing of Manziel's leadership ability. He got in a guys face, but he wasn't yelling or screaming. He wasn't acting a fool. Same with the rest of the team. He wasn't berating anyone. He wasn't blaming anyone. I'd love to have been able to hear what he was saying.

Like I said, I thought it was very strong. Knowing he was "messing up" just as much as anyone, he still convinced everyone not to give up.

I just don't remember talking about it much.
Old 04-25-2014   #3411
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw that. Now I'm no expert lip reader but I think he was saying don't lose this for me, I'm going to sign with Nike soon and I won't have you pu$$ies messing it up.

'tis the season to be trolling.
Old 04-25-2014   #3412
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I saw that. Now I'm no expert lip reader but I think he was saying don't lose this for me, I'm going to sign with Nike soon and I won't have you pu$$ies messing it up.

'tis the season to be trolling.
No, no, no. Wrong. He was telling them "I won't do any more autographs for you tools to sell if we lose this game."
Old 04-25-2014   #3413
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
No, no, no. Wrong. He was telling them "I won't do any more autographs for you tools to sell if we lose this game."
Hehehehe it's fun to pick on Johnny.
Old 04-25-2014   #3414
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel is Chuck Norris Hero.
Old 04-25-2014   #3415
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

When Chuck Norris sat down to watch Johnny play, Chuck ended up with whiplash
Old 04-25-2014   #3416
pirbroke
All Pro

Chuck asked for Johnny's autograph, Johnny refused.
Old 04-25-2014   #3417
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have we talked about the leadership Manziel displayed during the game against Duke?

His team was getting whupped. Looked like nothing was going right for the fighting Aggies. Mike Evans was obviously frustrated & it showed.

Johnny wasn't perfect. He made as many mistakes as anyone else on the Aggie offense, if not more. I wouldn't doubt that the team gave up hope on the Johnny Magic & it looked to me like they had already resolved to lose that game.

But Johnny wasn't having it. The cameras showed him calming Mike Evans down, getting his mind back into the game. It didn't look like Evans wanted any part of it, he didn't want to talk to Johnny Manziel (maybe he blamed Manziel, who knows?), he turned away from him... but JFF did not give up.

Then we see Manziel talking to the whole team, telling them not to give up. Even though it looked like that game was over (I was ready to turn it off), the 2nd quarter started 21-3 Duke. It looked like Duke found the answer for Manziel & the Aggie defense looked like it had no clue (like they did all year long). But Manziel still believed they could win. Then the team believed they could win. Then they won.

I do not want to draft Johnny Manziel at 1-1, or 2-1. He's the third QB on my list. But I thought that was a very strong showing of Manziel's leadership ability. He got in a guys face, but he wasn't yelling or screaming. He wasn't acting a fool. Same with the rest of the team. He wasn't berating anyone. He wasn't blaming anyone. I'd love to have been able to hear what he was saying.

Like I said, I thought it was very strong. Knowing he was "messing up" just as much as anyone, he still convinced everyone not to give up.

I just don't remember talking about it much.
Great post. Can't imagine describing a guy with leadership abilities like this (reminiscent of all-time greats like Joe Cool, Brett Favre, Johnny U, and Tom Brady) combined with his athletic ability and proven accuracy, and then not want to draft him at either 1-1 or 2-1.

Like I have said before (and multiple people have admitted), add 2 inches and 20 lbs to him, and he is almost unanimously the pick at 1-1. Just seems foolish to me to allow a player like Manziel to slip past at 1-1 over 2 inches and 20 lbs.
Old 04-25-2014   #3418
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post

Like I have said before (and multiple people have admitted), add 2 inches and 20 lbs to him, and he is almost unanimously the pick at 1-1. Just seems foolish to me to allow a player like Manziel to slip past at 1-1 over 2 inches and 20 lbs.
Cam Newton wasn't a unanimous pick at 1-1

There are a lot of things to like about Johnny Manziel. That's why he's being considered as a 1st round draft pick. But there are things to not like about Johnny Manziel, that's why he's not a top 10 pick, imo. If I was choosing 8 or 9, I might reach for him, but on his own merit, I don't see him as a top 10 pick.

There are easily 10 other players that I'd rather have & I think comparable QBs are available later. They may not have shown that same level of leadership, or anything remotely electrifying on the field. But there are plenty of QBs in this draft that have shown me the basic requirements needed to win football games at the NFL level.
Old 04-25-2014   #3419
agproducer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 agproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respectedagproducer is a quality contributor and well respected

TK is saying what I've thought all along. There is not a bigger competitor at the QB position in this draft. The Duke game is just a glimpse at Manziel's career at A&M. He is a leader. The players have said there is no other QB they would rather follow. That says something about a man.

The shot of Johnny on the sideline near the end of the Duke game talking to not only the offense, but the defense -- saying "Take it from them. Take it from them." That was raw passion.

The Texans have NEVER had that on offense. On D, they have fire with Watt and Cushing, but for years, no one has been a vocal leader on offense. Schaub was milquetoast. Carr never had it (of course, he got his face kicked in with a horrible O-line). Andre has always been a lead-by-example type of guy.

OB has said he wants a guy who is a competitor. Manziel fits that. He is the best QB option in this draft. You can point to Teddy's short passing accuracy, but Manziel is quite comparable there. You can talk about Bortles prototypical NFL size, and Manziel doesn't match up there -- but I'd rather have Johnny's intangibles who kicked butt in a major NCAA conference over those guys anytime.
Old 04-25-2014   #3420
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by agproducer View Post
TK is saying what I've thought all along.
I'm sorry, I may have let you down if you'd have read a little further. His leadership is a strong suit for him. But he's got weaknesses as well. I'm just trying to tell it like it is.

Leadership, off the chart.

Drive & competitiveness, off the chart.

Plus agility. Plus arm. Plus vision (he sees the whole field). Playmaker.

Then there are the things we don't "know" & have to infer. Can he read a defense? If I'm saying Bison 2 roll (I just learned that the other day), does he know what I'm talking about? Does he know what soft corners are & how routes should adjust for that? Does he know how to set the protections? Like Gruden says... does he know how to solve problems at the LOS?

Johnny admitted he didn't have to do a lot of that at A&M, but he's been learning since the end of the season. Maybe he's shown that he has the ability, it's hard for me to say.

But there are other guys who've been doing it for a long time already; Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Garoppolo, Bortles, Mettenberger... and some of those guys have been doing it really well.

They've all got their strong points & weaknesses. Leadership is unquestionably a strength of JFF (imo).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read