Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2014   #3401
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Dan Marino scored like a 15 on his....

That guy rode "stupid" all the way to the Hall of Fame...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
Old 04-11-2014   #3402
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Fitzpatrick supposedly recorded a 50 on the test in nine minutes, signifying a perfect score and you see where that has gotten him. smh
Old 04-11-2014   #3403
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

soooo better to have a QB who is "dumb" but has talent or a QB that is "smart" but has little talent.....

guess try to find something in the middle....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
Old 04-11-2014   #3404
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2782 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

so manziel's intelligence is validated with his wonderlic scores.

the texans will regret passing on johnny football.

mark my words,

Johnny Football will be a success in the NFL so will Clowney.

Sad that the texans are passing up on both. This draft will be forever remembered in infamy, the day the texans passed on the best defensive and best offensive player in the same draft where they had the first pick overall.
Old 04-11-2014   #3405
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2782 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
soooo better to have a QB who is "dumb" but has talent or a QB that is "smart" but has little talent.....

guess try to find something in the middle....
why not have both which is what manziel is?
Old 04-11-2014   #3406
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post

mark my words,

Sad that the texans are passing up on both. This draft will be forever remembered in infamy, the day the texans passed on the best defensive and best offensive player in the same draft where they had the first pick overall.
O Johnny, Johnny! wherefore art thou Johnny?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Texans fan.
Old 04-11-2014   #3407
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 62918 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sad that the texans are passing up on both.
Says who?

Clowney is as likely a pick as any.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2014   #3408
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Says who?
Says the Grand Wizard of Spedville.
Old 04-11-2014   #3409
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Manziel beats Bridgewater, Bortles on NFL's Wonderlic test:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...onderlic-test/
Old 04-12-2014   #3410
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

mark my words,

Is this known as the Rick Smith draft?
Old 04-12-2014   #3411
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Manziel highlights and the bulk of them are him running. Not passing. In the select passing highlights he throws it up for grabs and a wr bails him out. Or the wr is so open my 9 year old daughter could complete the pass. Is he a winner and a playmaker? Yup. So was Tebow. The jitter bug routine is fascinating to watch but it has a short shelf life...sooner then later he's going to have to pass like a pro qb and I don't expect to see the same results we saw in the sec. Sale.
Old 04-12-2014   #3412
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I see Manziel highlights and the bulk of them are him running. Not passing. In the select passing highlights he throws it up for grabs and a wr bails him out. Or the wr is so open my 9 year old daughter could complete the pass. Is he a winner and a playmaker? Yup. So was Tebow. The jitter bug routine is fascinating to watch but it has a short shelf life...sooner then later he's going to have to pass like a pro qb and I don't expect to see the same results we saw in the sec. Sale.
Not saying we should take Manziel, but Manziel is an extremely accurate passer. The highlights are just that. He made big time throws against Alabama both years that only a select few guys can make. You have to watch entire games to appreciate just how good he can be when he's mechanically sound. He's special when the play breaks down, but he's very good getting the ball where it needs to be.

I had a debate with a scout who actually went to A&M and he kept telling me how Manziel didn't have a strong arm after his Freshman season. I told him to go back and watch the Cotton Bowl against OU and look at some of the throws he made. If he can play a little smarter and anticipate throws better he's going to be a beast in this league. I just hope we don't have to face twice a year if he does improve in those areas.
Old 04-12-2014   #3413
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not saying we should take Manziel, but Manziel is an extremely accurate passer. The highlights are just that. He made big time throws against Alabama both years that only a select few guys can make. You have to watch entire games to appreciate just how good he can be when he's mechanically sound. He's special when the play breaks down, but he's very good getting the ball where it needs to be.

I had a debate with a scout who actually went to A&M and he kept telling me how Manziel didn't have a strong arm after his Freshman season. I told him to go back and watch the Cotton Bowl against OU and look at some of the throws he made. If he can play a little smarter and anticipate throws better he's going to be a beast in this league. I just hope we don't have to face twice a year if he does improve in those areas.
The problem with watching highlights is theyre a very small sample size of what a player is on a down in down out basis. I have watched very little college ball for the last couple of years so understanding Manziel in the context of a game is a bit difficult for me. I haven't seen how he comands an offense or orchestrates a 15 play drive. I don't question his arm strength because on film it looks comparable to both bortles and bridgewater (i'd rate him in between the 2 while giving the overall edge to bortles.) I think we all agree accuracy is supremely important...but it can be misleading.

As a example, I distinctly recall reading a scouting report on Blaine Gabbert which said he was overhyped and his accuracy numbers were a sham because all he was required to do in his college offense was 5 yard dink and dunk passes. His downfield passing percentage painted a different picture...in hindsight, a more accurate picture of his ability. Maybe Manziel isnt that guy but the little ive seen on my own and the highlights ive watched don't convince me he's a true passing qb. In truth, I think O'Brien is a stickler for a refined disciplined operator of his system and wont go near an improvising gunslinger like Manziel.

Let me go ahead and call my shot now...Manziel's career will be a flash in the pan eerily similar to Vince Youngs. 1or 2 good seasons with the occasional espn highlights and then poof. ..gone.
Old 04-13-2014   #3414
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem with watching highlights is theyre a very small sample size of what a player is on a down in down out basis. I have watched very little college ball for the last couple of years so understanding Manziel in the context of a game is a bit difficult for me. I haven't seen how he comands an offense or orchestrates a 15 play drive. I don't question his arm strength because on film it looks comparable to both bortles and bridgewater (i'd rate him in between the 2 while giving the overall edge to bortles.) I think we all agree accuracy is supremely important...but it can be misleading.

As a example, I distinctly recall reading a scouting report on Blaine Gabbert which said he was overhyped and his accuracy numbers were a sham because all he was required to do in his college offense was 5 yard dink and dunk passes. His downfield passing percentage painted a different picture...in hindsight, a more accurate picture of his ability. Maybe Manziel isnt that guy but the little ive seen on my own and the highlights ive watched don't convince me he's a true passing qb. In truth, I think O'Brien is a stickler for a refined disciplined operator of his system and wont go near an improvising gunslinger like Manziel.

Let me go ahead and call my shot now...Manziel's career will be a flash in the pan eerily similar to Vince Youngs. 1or 2 good seasons with the occasional espn highlights and then poof. ..gone.
I think Manziel's arm is stronger than both Bortles and Bridgewater and there are several analysts who agree with that. I've said over and over again that Manziel is not without flaws. To be honest I'm starting to think he and O'Brien could make a perfect team. He needs a guy like that who's detail oriented and demands discipline. I think he could bring the best out of him, and O'Brien could benefit because it would open up his offense even more. Every coach would love a mobile QB who can also make throws from the pocket if they could have one.

Your comparisons with Tebow and Gabbert though aren't very good. Gabbert threw a ton of screens in that offense and he had possibly the worst pocket presence I've ever seen from a 1st round pick. Manziel needs to be better stepping up into the pocket at times, but he's nothing like Gabbert whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the Tebow comparison. I know you're just basing your opinion on gut since you've admitted you don't watch much college football, but that's like me saying the next great up and coming soccer player will be a bust.
Old 04-13-2014   #3415
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Manziel's arm is stronger than both Bortles and Bridgewater and there are several analysts who agree with that. I've said over and over again that Manziel is not without flaws. To be honest I'm starting to think he and O'Brien could make a perfect team. He needs a guy like that who's detail oriented and demands discipline. I think he could bring the best out of him, and O'Brien could benefit because it would open up his offense even more. Every coach would love a mobile QB who can also make throws from the pocket if they could have one.

Your comparisons with Tebow and Gabbert though aren't very good. Gabbert threw a ton of screens in that offense and he had possibly the worse pocket presence I've ever seen from a 1st round pick. Manziel needs to be better stepping up into the pocket at times, but he's nothing like Gabbert whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the Tebow comparison. I know you're just basing your opinion on gut since you've admitted you don't watch much college football, but that's like me saying the next great up and coming soccer player will be a bust.
Either Texans take Manziel & get themselves a franchise QB or his nemesis Jadeveon Clowney who will run him down, possibly breaking him in the process. Fitzpartick is actually a bigger dude like 6-2 230 who scored way higher on his wonderlick (48) with plethora of experience.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-13-2014   #3416
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Either Texans take Manziel & get themselves a franchise QB or his nemesis Jadeveon Clowney who will run him down, possibly breaking him in the process. Fitzpartick is actually a bigger dude like 6-2 230 who scored way higher on his wonderlick (48) with plethora of experience.
So you're saying Fitz is a better player?
Old 04-13-2014   #3417
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your comparisons with Tebow and Gabbert though aren't very good. Gabbert threw a ton of screens in that offense and he had possibly the worse pocket presence I've ever seen from a 1st round pick. Manziel needs to be better stepping up into the pocket at times, but he's nothing like Gabbert whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the Tebow comparison. I know you're just basing your opinion on gut since you've admitted you don't watch much college football, but that's like me saying the next great up and coming soccer player will be a bust.
My comparisons to Gabbert and Tebow was more about character traits and evaluations then any direct connection between them and Manziel. You said Manziel was accurate as many people claimed Gabbert was. Tebow was a college legend and winner just like Manziel is. At the end of the day I just don't think Manziel's game translates in the pros. If you like him cool...I understand why. No harm no foul. I don't find myself liking any of the qb prospects enough to argue for them or against them. I'm in camp with Clowney and just barely...my perfect scenario is a trade back.
Old 04-13-2014   #3418
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I can see Clowney killing them both equally...or maybe he'll take a nap near the hashmarks.
Old 04-13-2014   #3419
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If anything, Manziel is too much a downfield passer. He suffers a little bit from the same cons as Winston as far as his passing goes. He doesn't take check downs when he should, looking for the big play far too often and they've come too often for him to really refine the take what the defense gives part of playing QB. Manziel can be a pro QB if he can a) avoid injury, b) constantly work on the mental part of the game, and c) learn to play within the pocket. C is the key. If he doesn't learn to make QUICK decisions within the pocket, he will fail. He's really a beginner at this part of playing QB. He is used to either having a long clock or moving around and buying time. The NFL is about making a quick decision and quick throw, most of the time, without that skill a QB is practically useless. See Case Keenum.
Old 04-13-2014   #3420
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My comparisons to Gabbert and Tebow was more about character traits and evaluations then any direct connection between them and Manziel. You said Manziel was accurate as many people claimed Gabbert was. Tebow was a college legend and winner just like Manziel is. At the end of the day I just don't think Manziel's game translates in the pros. If you like him cool...I understand why. No harm no foul. I don't find myself liking any of the qb prospects enough to argue for them or against them. I'm in camp with Clowney and just barely...my perfect scenario is a trade back.
I hear you. At this point I'm honestly not sure what or who I want in the 1st. I know who I don't want. I understand your opinion of Manziel and others who feel the same way. I just think he has something Gabbert, Young, Russell, Leaf, Couch, Tebow, and other 1st round busts lacked. If O'Brien passes up on Manziel and we watch him turn another team around he'll be looking for an OC job within 3 years IMO. If he doesn't think he can work with him then I'm on board with whatever he chooses to do, but for his sake he better hope Johnny flops at the next level with another team.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read