Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2014   #3381
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
True even at the collegiate level. Brady was far less accurate, for fewer yards and negative rushing.

Good luck finding that "needle in the haystack" with the current brain trust in place. A guy with Brady's stats likely goes UDFA these days.
Clearly im not comparing college Brady to college Manziel. The argument instead is that Manziel is somewhat reckless and gives up on plays early whereas Brady is the prototype pocket passer acting within the system. Do people favoring Manziel acknowledge his penchant for abandoning scripted plays and improving or is that sacrilege? Do people who like Manziel genuinely think he'll be an effective jitter bug when he's 30 something?
Old 04-13-2014   #3382
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Clearly im not comparing college Brady to college Manziel. The argument instead is that Manziel is somewhat reckless and gives up on plays early whereas Brady is the prototype pocket passer acting within the system. Do people favoring Manziel acknowledge his penchant for abandoning scripted plays and improving or is that sacrilege? Do people who like Manziel genuinely think he'll be an effective jitter bug when he's 30 something?
Jerry Rice compared him to Steve Young. While I think that's a reach, when the GOAT says something like that it makes you think. To be honest I never watched Young at BYU or even in his early years in the NFL so I can't say if thats an accurate comparison or not.
Old 04-13-2014   #3383
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem here is that you have fallen into the same trap as many other people. You have let his highlight scrambling plays effect your opinion of him. when in fact those plays make up a small percentage of his actual good plays. He makes one or two amazing scrambling big plays a game and all the sudden thats all he does.

The truth is Manziel makes more good plays from the pocket than he does outside of it. He completed 73.6% of his passes from the pocket for 3429 yards and 27 of his TD's. Thing is none of those plays were comparably highlight worthy so you don't hear about them.

I wouldn't call it sacrilidge but I would call it over reacting to think that will be his downfall as an NFL QB. Occasionally he does panic and abandon scripted plays and improvise but when he does he has the talent to pull it off. He has tremendous escapability and an uncanny ability to see the field while under durress.

He's intellegent and seems to be a fast learner. I don't see why people think he's incapable of toning it down. In college he was asked to run the ball a lot and yet he was very durable. He won't be having those designed runs anymore. Having said that, I really don't recall him ever taking a really big hit at A&M.
Old 04-13-2014   #3384
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Jerry Rice compared him to Steve Young. While I think that's a reach, when the GOAT says something like that it makes you think. To be honest I never watched Young at BYU or in his early years in the NFL so I can't say if thats an accurate comparison or not.
Steve young was a fantastic passer and typically played within the system...the comparison is somewhat accurate once he scrambled though. Young had that hell be damned hair on fire approach while running In the open field and It was every bit as captivating as watching Manziel run. If manziel can be half the passer young was he'll be a success.
Old 04-13-2014   #3385
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The problem here is that you have fallen into the same trap as many other people. You have let his highlight scrambling plays effect your opinion of him. when in fact those plays make up a small percentage of his actual good plays. He makes one or two amazing scrambling big plays a game and all the sudden thats all he does.

The truth is Manziel makes more good plays from the pocket than he does outside of it. He completed 73.6% of his passes from the pocket for 3429 yards and 27 of his TD's. Thing is none of those plays were comparably highlight worthy so you don't hear about them.

I wouldn't call it sacrilidge but I would call it over reacting to think that will be his downfall as an NFL QB. Occasionally he does panic and abandon scripted plays and improvise but when he does he has the talent to pull it off. He has tremendous escapability and an uncanny ability to see the field while under durress.

He's intellegent and seems to be a fast learner. I don't see why people think he's incapable of toning it down. In college he was asked to run the ball a lot and yet he was very durable. He won't be having those designed runs anymore. Having said that, I really don't recall him ever taking a really big hit at A&M.
That's a good post and maybe I am blinded by scampering highlights. I should pursue more video. I was forthright in saying most of what I saw was highlights and very little game film. For the record, I cant say my impression of the guy has changed a lot...only that im compelled to watch more based on what you guys say. I still see a guy with an ok arm and sloppy mechanics who appears reckless with the ball. You may sale me on him as a pro qb but i'll have to see a lot more before I believe he's an O'Brien qb. Good feedback nonetheless.
Old 04-13-2014   #3386
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Let me go ahead and call my shot now...Manziel's career will be a flash in the pan eerily similar to Vince Youngs. 1or 2 good seasons with the occasional espn highlights and then poof. ..gone.
That's an awful bold shot from someone who's watched nothing but highlights. You sure there ain't a bit of haterade in that opinion?

I think the problem with Vince, was that he couldn't handle diversity. He didn't know what to do, when he didn't have everyone in his corner, & for whatever reason he paid more attention to his detractors than his supporters.

Cam Newton. How different was what happened to him? He stuck it out, worked through the rough times & now he's back on top.

My point, is that what killed Vince Young's career, you can't predict that, you never know. People will tell you they did predict it, that they called it, that they knew he wasn't going to make it... but it was the off-field, in the head, pskhytzo sht that ruined his career. Had he stayed in Tennessee he would have been afforded a lot more leeway than he's been given elsewhere, because he's a first round pick. Same way we did with Carr, the way they're doing with Bradford, the way they're doing with Locker... even a glimpse of magic will keep you alive on the team that drafted you if you're a first round QB. Especially a top 5 pick.

JFF... bad times are coming & we'll see how he handles them, but if he's mentally strong enough, he'll figure this NFL thing out.
Old 04-13-2014   #3387
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if your coaching him do you encourage him to hang in there and read whats downfield (negating his mobile talent) and hope for him to develop OR do you give him the ball and a play while telling him...get me a first down no matter what? My gut says O'Brien is a very detail oriented-scripted individual and coupling him with a guy like Manziel could prove combustible. Maybe successful...but probably not. Sorry but Manziel just looks like the ANTI Brady to me.
I'd tell him no hero sht until we need him to be a hero.

On first & 10, I don't need him to run 30s off the clock running 40 yards behind the LOS to pick up 5 yards... take what the defense gives you & move on to the next play.

On 3rd & 3 with 9 minutes left in the 1st, I don't need a hero. I need a jab. Like a boxer uses his jab early in a fight to read his opponents defense. I need Johnny to run the play we called, so we can get a read on how the defense is going to play.

Now... if we're down by two scores & we went 3 & out on our last four possessions....... I need some hero sht from somebody. If he can't figure out when we need a hero & when we don't, if he can't be that hero when we need him... then we can't win with him. That's the difference between Tony Romo & Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers.
Old 04-13-2014   #3388
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Per the talking heads bridgewater is the most nfl ready day 1...
That's the talking heads.

What's your opinion? How's he more ready to start than Aj McCarron, or Aaron Murray? How's he more ready to start than Tom Savage? All these guys played in pro systems. Murray & McCarron's numbers are comparable to Bridgewaters; completion percentage, YPA, TD/Int ratio, TD's per Attempt.... but they did it against tougher competition.

How is Bridgewater the most NFL ready da1 starter in this draft?
Old 04-13-2014   #3389
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the talking heads are Teddybots and like all good Teddybots they too seem to ignore his playing weight was 185 lbs and Teddy's questionable arm. And how Teddy's arm is even more questionable without the magic gloves. The talking heads almost to a person loved them some Reggie Bush.
Old 04-13-2014   #3390
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a good post and maybe I am blinded by scampering highlights. I should pursue more video. I was forthright in saying most of what I saw was highlights and very little game film. For the record, I cant say my impression of the guy has changed a lot...only that im compelled to watch more based on what you guys say. I still see a guy with an ok arm and sloppy mechanics who appears reckless with the ball. You may sale me on him as a pro qb but i'll have to see a lot more before I believe he's an O'Brien qb. Good feedback nonetheless.
This link might help.
Old 04-13-2014   #3391
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel interview at Jaguars team visit:

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery...4-dfab9d8711f6
Old 04-17-2014   #3392
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

2014 NFL Draft: Where Will Johnny Manziel Go? Ranking His Destinations, From Ten To One
Quote:
Itís the question major draft fans and casual football followers alike are wondering. Whereís Johnny Football going to go on draft day?

As of right now, itís still very much up in the air. And I get the sense that, while most teams wouldnít mind getting their hands on the unique talents of Manziel, I think that more than a few also wouldnít mind letting some other team be the one to see if the experiment works.

Manziel is a polarizing prospect in the media, and I suspect in NFL war rooms. Whether itís scout vs. scout, general manager vs. head coach or management vs. ownership, itís likely a tight-rope discussion for a handful of teams in the quarterback market. With that said, hereís my best attempt to handicap the Manziel interest and where he may land on draft day...
Old 04-17-2014   #3393
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113664 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 04-17-2014   #3394
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

Wait a minute. I thought he sucked in the pocket????
Old 04-17-2014   #3395
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Most of the talking heads are Teddybots and like all good Teddybots they too seem to ignore his playing weight was 185 lbs and Teddy's questionable arm. And how Teddy's arm is even more questionable without the magic gloves. The talking heads almost to a person loved them some Reggie Bush.
actually, the reggie bush fanatics then compare more with what LZ terms as the "Manziel-ots" now. This is b/c of the "he's the most exciting player in college football/playmaker" moniker both were dubbed in college.....

but you can also compare them in terms of both being undersized for their respective positions & the whole "circus coming to town" atmosphere both brought/will bring for all thier off-field nonsense.

.....but for you it's more fun to poke at TB fans.......your bias against TB knows no bounds.
Old 04-17-2014   #3396
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
actually, the reggie bush fanatics then compare more with what LZ terms as the "Manziel-ots" now. This is b/c of the "he's the most exciting player in college football/playmaker" moniker both were dubbed in college.....

but you can also compare them in terms of both being undersized for their respective positions & the whole "circus coming to town" atmosphere both brought/will bring for all thier off-field nonsense.

.....but for you it's more fun to poke at TB fans.......your bias against TB knows no bounds.
It's one thing to be the most exciting player in football when you touch the ball on every offensive play of the game and quite another thing to be an exciting player and only touch the ball 10-12 times a game.

poking fun at TB fans must be in the eye of the pokee and not so much the poker. Saying that Teddy's playing weight was 185 pounds and that his arm is suspect is not poking fun at anyone. It's called an observation.
Old 04-19-2014   #3397
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Dominik opined that Manziel could fall as far as the late first round, and suggested the Texans trading back into the latter part of the frame to acquire "Johnny Football." It's no secret that Texans owner Bob McNair is a big fan of Manziel's.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel
Old 04-19-2014   #3398
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If by some miracle that happened, I'd be ecstatic. No doubt, that'd be the best case scenario, although I have made it no secret that personally, I'd draft him at 1-1 and not look back. Maybe then if a defender we likes falls into the late 1st, we trade up for him.

But I could definitely get behind Clowney/Mack/Watkins at 1-1 and Manziel in the late first.
Old 04-19-2014   #3399
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, went and saw Draft Day last night. Thought it was an excellent movie, and I couldn't help but get a Manziel vibe from one of the parts.

During it, they mention Joe Montana. He was undersized at 6'2" and only 200 lbs, but he had that knack for winning football games. This is where Manziel comes in for me. Yes, he's small, but I can tell you from watching the guy every single game that there has not been another player that I have ever watched that wants to win more than Johnny Football. To top it off, Manziel has a lot more speed than Montana, thus giving him the ability to escape the pocket a bit and avoid some of the bigger hits.
Old 04-20-2014   #3400
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Then again, is he the guy you look for to evaluate QB talent?

Quote:
Mark Dominik's drafts have managed to produce only two Pro Bowlers: Gerald McCoy and Doug Martin. In addition to those two, Mike Williams, Lavonte David, Mason Foster and Mark Barron are the only real standouts. Late-round picks have yielded little more than a fullback and a special teams standout. Each year, his early drafts look worse and worse.

On 48 picks, Mark Dominik managed to draft six players who are unequivocal hits, and two late-round special teamers and role players who are hits relative to their draft position. He has a whopping six busts in the first four rounds on fifteen picks, not counting 2013. That's a pretty awful track record. The only thing that saves it from being a disaster is the 2012 draft, which looks pretty spectacular so far. But then, the last four picks in that draft don't look great either.

"Build through the draft" was Mark Dominik's go to phrase when he took the job in 2009, and he continued to say it throughout 2010 and 2011. Surprisingly, that sentence has faded from use over the past two years as they've spent more and more money on highly-priced free agents. Perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that very few of their most prominent players were acquired through the draft.
Link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read