Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014   #3241
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Very good post man. Rep to you. That is a fair analysis. Where I disagree with the comparison is Manziel's accuracy. Although Vick had one of the best arms to ever sling a football, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Manziel doesn't have that problem. He needs to work on his timing routes throwing over the middle of the field, but he has shown great accuracy. If he can tame his natural inclination to run the football and hang in the pocket more, which he did a lot more of this past season and is continuing to improve, then the sky is the limit for Manziel, IMO.
Thanks. They are also very similar in size (Vick was actually the smallest QB ever drafted #1 overall at 6 feet even). I do think Manziel is more accurate, and their arms aren't that far apart IMO. Vick is much faster, but I don't think either really relies on running past their opponent as much as making them miss.

I do think that if we trade down with Atlanta and Manziel is available at 6 we should take him after Mack and before Bridgewater or Broyles. I wouldn't take him (or any other QB) at 1-1 because I think he'll get pummeled his first year, but with enough picks we could fill in other holes and help protect him.
Old 04-03-2014   #3242
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

lmao @ "ghetto tendencies". I'm sure that's a quality that both O'Brien and McNair are looking for their face of the franchise.
Old 04-03-2014   #3243
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Thanks. They are also very similar in size (Vick was actually the smallest QB ever drafted #1 overall at 6 feet even). I do think Manziel is more accurate, and their arms aren't that far apart IMO. Vick is much faster, but I don't think either really relies on running past their opponent as much as making them miss.

I do think that if we trade down with Atlanta and Manziel is available at 6 we should take him after Mack and before Bridgewater or Broyles. I wouldn't take him (or any other QB) at 1-1 because I think he'll get pummeled his first year, but with enough picks we could fill in other holes and help protect him.
Now there is a scenario that would have me doing backflips. If somehow we were able to trade down AND get Manziel, I don't think I could think of a better scenario. Even more than I want Manziel, I just don't want Clowney. Yes, he is an athletic freak, but I just don't understand the fuss. But anyway, I'll keep my takes on Clowney in the Clowney thread.
Old 04-03-2014   #3244
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many of Manziel's receivers were as well known as Mike Evans?
Old 04-03-2014   #3245
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Very good post man. Rep to you. That is a fair analysis. Where I disagree with the comparison is Manziel's accuracy. Although Vick had one of the best arms to ever sling a football, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Manziel doesn't have that problem. He needs to work on his timing routes throwing over the middle of the field, but he has shown great accuracy. If he can tame his natural inclination to run the football and hang in the pocket more, which he did a lot more of this past season and is continuing to improve, then the sky is the limit for Manziel, IMO.
Right. There are three things, I think, that really separates Manziel from Vick. Vick has a much better arm & Vick is much faster. Johnny is more accurate.

I don't necessarily care to keep Johnny in the pocket though. I'd like for him to go through 2 reads, eventually 3, then 4... but starting out, whatever he's comfortable with. If that's two then a check down so be it (I wouldn't put him on the field until he's comfortable with two then a checkdown & reading blitzes & hot routes).... then let him do what he do. Just don't pass the LOS.

My specific instructions to him will be not to run past the LOS. & I'll get on him every time he does (at first). I want him to work his magic outside the pocket & make things happen. I want him to extend plays.

I do not want him tucking & running & getting himself killed. I do not want him getting sacked 20 yards behind the LOS.

Two reads, check down..... extend the play, throw it away.
Old 04-03-2014   #3246
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
If you're saying you'll reach & take him at 6.... I can understand that. But if you think he's the 6th best prospect in this draft, you gotta take him at 1 & not play any games.

We've only got two holes on the offensive line. RT & LG. & we might have one of the two on the team already.
Old 04-03-2014   #3247
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We've only got two holes on the offensive line. RT & LG.
That's 40% and 100% of them will be learning a new system.
Old 04-03-2014   #3248
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That's 40% and 100% of them will be learning a new system.
Let's see... that's two, divided by five times 100..... yep, you're right that's 40%

The point was that we don't need to trade down to get more picks to fix the OL when we already have 11 picks.
Old 04-03-2014   #3249
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
lmao @ "ghetto tendencies". I'm sure that's a quality that both O'Brien and McNair are looking for their face of the franchise.
JFF will not be a Texan. Trade down coming IMO.. Am good with that..
Old 04-03-2014   #3250
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
How many of Manziel's receivers were as well known as Mike Evans?
He sure made Travis Labhart , all 5'9" of him look really good.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 04-03-2014   #3251
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel, longtime friend set to battle for trademark rights

Quote:
The family of Nate Fitch, the longtime friend of Manziel who was involved in the alleged autograph signings that landed Manziel in hot water with the NCAA last year, owns a company that filed for trademark rights to the phrase "The House That Johnny Built." Fitch Estate Sales beat the Manziel camp to the U.S. Trademark and Patent Office by a month

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2014   #3252
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

How far can that phrase go without Manziel? If they're just going to use that phrase, without his likeness.....

Now... "Johnny Ca$h" he ought to jump all over that, works well with his "Drake" hand signs.
Old 04-03-2014   #3253
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How far can that phrase go without Manziel? If they're just going to use that phrase, without his likeness.....

Now... "Johnny Ca$h" he ought to jump all over that, works well with his "Drake" hand signs.
"Johnny Ca$h" lol........you're a creative genius, good one, TK !
Old 04-03-2014   #3254
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
...RG3 is the epitome of a fake humble nice guy. a guy who portrays one side to the public and in reality is a utterly selfish, narcissistic attention whore.
So he's a cocky, arrogant guy then?
Old 04-03-2014   #3255
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right. There are three things, I think, that really separates Manziel from Vick. Vick has a much better arm & Vick is much faster. Johnny is more accurate.

I don't necessarily care to keep Johnny in the pocket though. I'd like for him to go through 2 reads, eventually 3, then 4... but starting out, whatever he's comfortable with. If that's two then a check down so be it (I wouldn't put him on the field until he's comfortable with two then a checkdown & reading blitzes & hot routes).... then let him do what he do. Just don't pass the LOS.

My specific instructions to him will be not to run past the LOS. & I'll get on him every time he does (at first). I want him to work his magic outside the pocket & make things happen. I want him to extend plays.

I do not want him tucking & running & getting himself killed. I do not want him getting sacked 20 yards behind the LOS.

Two reads, check down..... extend the play, throw it away.
That was something I LOVED about Gruden's QB Camp with Manziel. This was one of the things he focused on the most with Johnny. He pointed out just how often guys like Manning & Brees check down. Those guys have the check down to a science and can beat you not only throwing the ball down field but can also dink and dunk their way down the field as well. You only get a couple of times a game where you really get to sling it deep. We already know Manziel can do that. Now, he has to learn to check down.
Old 04-03-2014   #3256
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
absolutely agree on a lot of the flack manziel is getting is because of closet racists trying to pin fake scandals on him and this labeling of "playing black" is just more evidence of it.
What exactly is "playing black"?

Did Warren Moon "play black"?

If they're just hating on Manziel (white guy) because he's too black (yeah, that makes sense), then why do most of the anti Manziel people want Bridgewater (who is actually black)?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 04-03-2014   #3257
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

If they're just hating on Manziel (white guy) because he's too black (yeah, that makes sense), then why do most of the anti Manziel people want Bridgewater (who is actually black)?
Because he plays white?
Old 04-03-2014   #3258
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

It's stereotyping. The idea of "playing black" means to use your athleticism a lot & showboat. "Playing white" means you use your intellect and play more reserved. So yes in your examples, Warren Moon and Teddy Bridgewater "play white" along with actual white guys like Brady, Manning, and Brees. Meanwhile Manziel & Kaepernick along with black guys like Vick, Young, & RG3 "play black".

It's dumb, I agree. But we humans love to classify. We can't handle our world unless we are able to neatly fit things, and even people, into perfect categories so as to easily understand the world we live in.
Old 04-03-2014   #3259
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you're saying you'll reach & take him at 6.... I can understand that. But if you think he's the 6th best prospect in this draft, you gotta take him at 1 & not play any games.

We've only got two holes on the offensive line. RT & LG. & we might have one of the two on the team already.
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but why wouldn't I take the guy I think is the best prospect rather than the 6th best at #1?
Old 04-03-2014   #3260
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
absolutely agree on a lot of the flack manziel is getting is because of closet racists trying to pin fake scandals on him and this labeling of "playing black" is just more evidence of it.

i mean we are in texas right?

home of the bigoted republican tea party, jesus freaks, and unabashed racists. A lot of this manziel hate is coming from that area. They want their typical choir boy white guy with the fake perfect citizen act.

I absolutely love cocky, arrogant guys. Those guys are winners.

Usain Bolt
Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Muhammad Ali
Lebron James
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

All cocky guys. All winners.

Havent we had enough "humble" qbs that have failed us time and time again?

Its also a generational thing. The older fans want that quiet, robotic, fake humble guy while the younger generation love that flashy, stylish, arrogant player.

Its always been this way since rock and roll.

Manziel fans are prime about to explode led zeppelin fans. While Blake Bortle fans are the old geezers who still cling to the stale old and utterly lame and safe Beatles records.

and LOL at the poster who said RG3 was humble.

loooooooooooooooooooooool

RG3 is the epitome of a fake humble nice guy. a guy who portrays one side to the public and in reality is a utterly selfish, narcissistic attention whore.
Floyd Mayweather doesn't deserve to be on that list.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read