Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014   #3201
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
As I recall, Mayock was one of the only draft experts pimping Russell Wilson pre-draft. Wilson definitely had the arm, but he was also a "little scrambler".
Mayock also said Blaine Gabbert would be the first QB taken over Cam Newton.
Old 04-01-2014   #3202
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Mayock also said Blaine Gabbert would be the first QB taken over Cam Newton.
I'm not a Mayock fan but in his defense, saying a guy will be taken higher isn't the same as saying he will be better.
Old 04-01-2014   #3203
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Jim Harbaugh likes him some Manziel

Quote:
It's a given that the more NFL coaches and general managers like about a draft prospect, the less they tend to say about that prospect publicly. But at times, the axiom works in reverse as well, and a coach who would have no conceivable need for a particular player is far more willing to speak his mind about him.

File San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's comments on Johnny Manziel under the latter.

"I'd welcome the challenges of taking Johnny Manziel," Harbaugh said, according to sfgate.com. "(He) sees the field like nobody I've ever seen see the field in college football. You'd love to work with that."

The 49ers, of course, have one of the NFL's better young quarterbacks in Colin Kaepernick, hence no need for Manziel. Not that the opportunity would be there for the club to draft him anyway, not with the No. 30 overall pick and Manziel bring projected as a top-10 selection. Still, praise for Manziel's ability to see the field is interesting coming from Harbaugh, a former quarterback himself. Field vision doesn't exactly top the list of assets that most critiques of Manziel assign to the former Texas A&M star. In fact, it's his ability to patiently make reads from the pocket that is under scrutiny, given that he operates outside the pocket so often and has the instinct to tuck and run all too often for the NFL game.

Now, about those coaches who already have a quarterback of the future ... yes, of course, they're willing to share their Johnny Manziel opinions.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...s-field-vision
Old 04-01-2014   #3204
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I ran across this analysis of Manziel from a link on another site - I think it's actually one of the more evenhanded views out there:

How to form your own opinion on Johnny Manziel.
Anyone think Texian will say anything about the dig at Bortles?
Old 04-01-2014   #3205
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Jim Harbaugh likes him some Manziel

"I'd welcome the challenges of taking Johnny Manziel," Harbaugh said, according to sfgate.com. "(He) sees the field like nobody I've ever seen see the field in college football. You'd love to work with that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...s-field-vision
Say there Jimbo ol' buddy, we're open to trade possibilities. How many picks do you guys have this year and next, and the next....?

Just sayin'... give Rick a buzz why don'tcha

Old 04-01-2014   #3206
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wanted to see what kind of draft might be possible making that trade with SF for there 1 & 2 this year and the next 2 years 1sts.

Came out with this on the simulator.

Round 1 Pick 30 (S.F.): C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 1: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Round 2 Pick 24 (S.F.): Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
Round 3 Pick 1: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, Brigham Young
Round 4 Pick 1: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
Round 5 Pick 1: Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
Round 6 Pick 1: Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie St
Round 6 Pick 5: Storm Johnson, RB, UCF
Round 6 Pick 35 (COMP): Dri Archer, WR, Kent State
Round 7 Pick 1: Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
Round 7 Pick 41 (COMP): Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State
Old 04-02-2014   #3207
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59149 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Say there Jimbo ol' buddy, we're open to trade possibilities. How many picks do you guys have this year and next, and the next....?

Just sayin'... give Rick a buzz why don'tcha

Why would he want to do that, he is too busy trying to make Kaepernick into a legit NFL QB....
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2014   #3208
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Anyone think Texian will say anything about the dig at Bortles?
If there is any bad news or negatives about Bortles I want to hear it. I am not locked in. You're confusing me with a Teddybot.
Old 04-02-2014   #3209
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If there is any bad news or negatives about Bortles I want to hear it. I am not locked in. You're confusing me with a Teddybot.
They're all over the place.
Old 04-02-2014   #3210
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

$180.00 for jersey.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/li...1/pgid-1543872
Old 04-02-2014   #3211
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
"We're talking about pro-day. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pro-day, not a game...

not a game....

not a game, but we're talking about pro-day. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about pro-day man."
~Teddy Bridgewater
Old 04-02-2014   #3212
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
~Teddy Bridgewater
Well played TK.

After spending time watching all the high profile guys I am not sure TB is playing the same position as the other guys.

He seems to be doing a LOT more than the other guys.
Old 04-03-2014   #3213
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Actually most of the Teddybots shifted after the combine and pro day .
Old 04-03-2014   #3214
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Deion Sanders loves manziel. His reasoning made me laugh though.

Quote:
NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said he believes the Houston Texans should use the first overall pick in the 2014 draft on Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Appearing on the Tom Joyner Show with Roland Martin, Sanders was asked about the hype surrounding Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner projected as a top-10 draft pick.

"Oh, please. I love Johnny Football," Sanders said. "See, the reason people won't accept Johnny Football is because Johnny Football has ghetto tendencies. I love Johnny Football."

That prompted this exchange:

Martin: He's got ghetto tendencies? What are ghetto tendencies, Prime Time?

Sanders: Because he was successful, he made it, and he let you all know he made it, and he was cocky, he was flamboyant, and he let you know.

Martin: So he was a white Prime Time coming out of college.

Sanders: Thank you. And I love him. I love him. They had the music playing when he came in. Put his whole equipment up, who goes out there and do your pro day with all your equipment on? That's some hula stuff, I love Johnny Football.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ies-of-manziel
Old 04-03-2014   #3215
Stemp
Brew Master

Quote:
Johnny Manziel plays like a "black" quarterback. Deep down, a great deal of the animosity that Manziel has provoked has come for this reason, because lots of white people don't like the way Manziel carries himself both on and off the field. I wrote and talked about this back in September, but most media has been afraid to touch the fault line. Until this morning, when Deion Sanders suplexed the racial fault line on the Tom Joyner Show with guest host Roland Martin. and came out and said, "Oh, please. I love Johnny Football. See, the reason people wonít accept Johnny Football is because Johnny Football has ghetto tendencies. I love Johnny Football,"

Then Prime Time continued, executing a Hulk Hogan leg drop on the racial faul line when he was asked to explain what he meant by "ghetto tendencies."

"Because he was successful, he made it, and he let you all know he made it, and he was cocky, he was flamboyant, and he let you know."

Roland Martin, a fellow Johnny Manziel fan, then stepped in and said, "So he was a white Prime Time coming out of college."

Deion continued, "Thank you. And I love him. I love him. They had the music playing when he came in. Put his whole equipment up, who go out there all do your pro day with all your equipment on? Thatís some hula stuff, I love Johnny Football."

There's going to be a ton of hoopla surrounding these comments because there's nothing else going on right now and because Deion mentioned race and quarterbacks in the same breath. (Stop with your Final Four talk. No one cares about the Final Four except when the games are actually being played. And, even then, not really that much.) But the essence of Deion's comments are true -- can you imagine any other quarterback, black or white, showing up for his pro day and rapping along to unedited Drake as he performs for scouts, coaches, and general managers from just about every NFL team? Most guys getting ready for the draft are doing everything they can to avoid upsetting teams; Johnny Manziel put on a damn show.

Manziel's a creative entertainer, a border-defying, cross-pollinating cultural icon. He's a rich white Texan who identifies more with black culture than with white culture, a polyglot melange in our American mixing bowl, a rap-spewing quarterback who had Aggies in cowboy hats and boot spurs ready to take a bullet for him. But, look out, that still makes some people uncomfortable. As much as America may be a multi-cultural society, we still want to put people in boxes, identify them as one thing or another, create delineated spaces within our culture where some people fit and others don't.

But you ain't putting Johnny Manziel in just one box.

Back in the summer Manziel told me that the two quarterbacks he most looked up to were Mike Vick and Vince Young. Look out, cross-racial sports comparison alert. You ever heard a white quarterback point to two black quarterbacks as his inspiration? I haven't. Beware, you CANNOT compare guys of different races. At least not in the modern football vernacular. White wide receivers have to be hard-working, crafty, possession-types who are great at recognizing zone defenses. Black quarterbacks have to be mobile risk-takers with a flair for the dramatic and inconsistent passers. Of course these stereotypes aren't entirely accurate, they never were. But God forbid we ever have a black possession receiver with suspect deep speed or a white quarterback blaring rap lyrics, tearing up playbooks, and celebrating touchdowns with money gestures.

That's impossible.

It doesn't fit our preconceived notions.

Deion didn't address a racial stereotype, he addressed a cross-racial stereotype, something we actually need more of, not less of. That is, the more athletes break the mold of what's expected of them, the less you can point to any characteristics and align them with any particular race. Deion Sanders said Johnny Manziel's a white guy who plays like a black guy. Meanwhile, Teddy Bridgewater, the actual black quarterback expected to go in the first round, plays the most like a "white" quarterback of anybody in the draft. He's a pocket passer who reads his progressions.

Double cross-racial stereotype destroyers in the same draft.

Both at quarterback?!

Hallelujah.
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...-is-ghetto.php
Old 04-03-2014   #3216
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Johnny Manziel plays like a "black" quarterback. Deep down, a great deal of the animosity that Manziel has provoked has come for this reason, because lots of white people don't like the way Manziel carries himself...
So somehow not being on board with Manziel is racist because he "plays black"???

I'll just pull out an old, but appropriate idiom for Deion Sanders...
Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old 04-03-2014   #3217
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok.
Old 04-03-2014   #3218
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel continues to set himself up to cash in on his future. In line to eventually secure a "Johnny Football" trademark, Manziel's team filed for more trademarks recently, including "The House That Johnny Built."

But just like the trademark for "Johnny Football," Manziel is actually second in line, and the person who is first might raise eyebrows among Aggies fans.

Fitch Estate Sales, a company owned by the family of Nate Fitch, Manziel's friend who was with the quarterback at many of the autograph signings that resulted in a half-game suspension, was first to the phrase.

Fowler said the trademark, an obvious play on the famous Babe Ruth/Yankee Stadium phrase, was a reference to the renovation of Texas A&M's Kyle Field, a $450 million project that will expand capacity to 102,500 and is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2015 season. A Texas A&M official did not immediately return a call seeking comment as to whether Manziel had discussed his trademark filing with the school.
Link
Old 04-03-2014   #3219
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Johnny Cash.

Can I trademark that?
Old 04-03-2014   #3220
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So somehow not being on board with Manziel is racist because he "plays black"???

I'll just pull out an old, but appropriate idiom for Deion Sanders...

I don't think racism was the point. It's not that people are being racist. They are simply uncomfortable with it.

I'll go so far as to say that if Johnny Manziel were black, he'd probably be the number 1 QB taken. Other than 2 inches and a few pounds, what is really the difference between RGIII and Johnny Manziel? A couple of years ago, I remember seeing many of the very same posters on this board that hate on Manziel creaming their pants for RGIII. There was even talk of taking RGIII over the once in a generation Andrew Luck!

This whole thing is mind-blowing, and it's just like the Texans to screw the pooch and take the safe pick. Yes, Manziel is risky, but the Texans have been making the safe calls for their entire history. What has it gotten them except for two playoff appearances, three #1 draft picks, and a few 8-8 seasons?

As for me, I'm sick of the monotony. I recognize Manziel could be a bust. I also recognize he could be a superstar. The game has changed, regardless of whether the old farts like it or not. It is more of an offensive based game, and smaller guys like Manziel can succeed in today's NFL with all the rule changes.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read