Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2014   #2941
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I've yet to meet anyone who's seriously jocking the guy who ISN'T a Texas A&M alum. And truthfully he doesn't really excite me...which is odd because I'm known for my love of enormous "BUSTS"...
I doubt you'll meet any of those guys while you're in Texas. You're either an A&M fan or a UT fan....

but they're jocking him in New York, LA, Chicago..... that's why ESPN was at his Pro Day. I normally don't listen to ESPN during the day, because most of it is not local... but guess what they were talking about all day.
Old 03-27-2014   #2942
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I doubt you'll meet any of those guys while you're in Texas. You're either an A&M fan or a UT fan....

but they're jocking him in New York, LA, Chicago..... that's why ESPN was at his Pro Day. I normally don't listen to ESPN during the day, because most of it is not local... but guess what they were talking about all day.
Today was absolutely one of the BEST NATIONAL commercials for Texas A&M, EVER.
Old 03-27-2014   #2943
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You can't be serious. That was your hangup? He didn't say he was gonna be a good boy and dedicate himself to the NFL before today?
Its not just what he said , its how he said it and how he handled the circus that the media made out of the situation ....

Then you look at the improvements he's made since the end of the first season to the end of this one - I think that proves what he has said , that he has dedicated himself to getting better , to being a professional.

We have also heard Zero drama since the season started .... Not a peep out of him.

Is he a wildcard ?! Yes , but the truth of the matter is that of all the QB's in this draft , he has the highest upside. The others simply cant make the type of plays he does on a routine basis.

If this franchise is shooting for the stars rather than settling for the mediocrity of the past decade , Manziel should be the choice based upon that highest upside.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Old 03-27-2014   #2944
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Its not just what he said , its how he said it and how he handled the circus that the media made out of the situation ...
The media? I think Manziel has created the frenzy without help from the media, they're just recording the show. The media didn't make him wear camo, throw to rap music and invite his celebrity buddies along.

That said, he did handle it well.
Old 03-27-2014   #2945
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
For the haters, any pass 30+ yard downfield, even when he hits the receiver in stride is a "heave"
It is a heave. Look at the position of his feet when he launches it. Also, in a live game situation, that is a pick. He tends to not step into his throws, or up into the pocket.
Old 03-27-2014   #2946
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I would like to see Manziel go to Cleveland and try to revitalize that franchise.
Raiders for me. JFF in silver & black making it rain.
Old 03-27-2014   #2947
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30558 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Baltimore could draft Manziel so that he can give Kubes fits.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014   #2948
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
It is a heave. Look at the position of his feet when he launches it. Also, in a live game situation, that is a pick. He tends to not step into his throws, or up into the pocket.

epic troll friend :^)
Old 03-27-2014   #2949
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Prodays and combine workouts should be the smallest factor in picking players IMO. The only thing they are good for is measurements.
Maybe...
But I look at it as a job interview.
Should someone who is looking to hire you (for a multimillion dollar position, mind you) ignore the interview results (combine and pro days) and only hire you based on your transcript (college stats, film, etc.)??
Old 03-27-2014   #2950
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Maybe...
But I look at it as a job interview.
Should someone who is looking to hire you (for a multimillion dollar position, mind you) ignore the interview results (combine and pro days) and only hire you based on your transcript (college stats, film, etc.)??
Only? I think he said the "smallest" factor. Look, if you don't have the transcripts, you're not getting the interview in the first place. The transcripts are the work. The interview is talking about the work. The most important part is finding a guy who can do the work. If all things are equal, you look for the guy that fits the organization the best. But you never take a guy who can talk about work over a guy who can do the work.
Old 03-27-2014   #2951
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I've not been JM's biggest fan - in terms of the Texans drafting him. GREAT college QB, but the dumpster at the back of the NFL's hotel is littered with the remains of great college QB's that did squat in the NFL. Vince Young to Ryan Leaf and a million in between.

He is still in my mind a definite high risk/high reward guy, but today went a long way for me in answering at least some of the questions I had. Better arm strength then I imagined and liked his deep accuracy. Heard good things about footwork and his overall demeanor was good. Think it was a fantastic move on his part to go with helmet/pads, shows he is up for a challenge.

All these guys are a gamble, but Bridgewater in my mind is the safest but the lowest ceiling, Bortles has all the things you look for physically, but he hasn't proven anything against top competition and his accuracy is in question, and then you have Manziel.

He's a wildcard in my mind. He could be out of the NFL in 3 years, or he could completely revolutionize the game and be the toast of the town.

My big concerns continue to be:

Durability/injury concerns if he tries to play like he did in college and if he tries to become more pocket oriented, is the magic gone and he becomes an smallish short guy that has trouble with batted passes and vision? He isn't going to get any taller.

That is my biggest concern.

Secondarily, he talked a good game today, but once he gets paid his millions will he remain dedicated to being the best, watching film and basically being Payton Manning or will he blow it ala VY? There are going to be a TON of "hanger's on'ers" around this guy and he needs to have someone with him that keeps him grounded. He's got a reputation, and he needs to change it.

Will his ego become a problem? Is it already a problem? Is he going to blend with the rest of the team like OB wants, or will he be a prima donna and create tension/drama and/or distraction/division in the locker room.

He's got the most upside of anyone in this draft class. He also has the greatest downside imo (ie greatest risk).

It's a real gamble, but if nothing else, he would add a ton of interest and excitement to a team that was led by the 7 dwarfs last year with Schaub being somewhere between Grumpy and Dopey. I'm with them either way as I am really torn but what the hell - YOLO.
Good post Porky and it pretty much sums up where I'm at on Johnny football.
Old 03-27-2014   #2952
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
The media? I think Manziel has created the frenzy without help from the media, they're just recording the show. The media didn't make him wear camo, throw to rap music and invite his celebrity buddies along.

That said, he did handle it well.
I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on football stuff. I don't like the way manziel throws of his back foot, runs when he doesn't need to, doesn't slide in the pocket, doesn't appear to use his eyes, looks like he's making one read then goes into back yard football mode...durability...ect...

But the guy delivers. He makes plays. He brings passion and energy and he seems to have a thirst for greatness. I can't ignore the positives or negatives.

Manziel isn't a finished product. None of these guys are. I really like many of these players. I might be one of the few that would be ok with the three qb's or clowney or Mack and I'd be ok with the outside chance we take Robinson.

So I'm fine with a trade down to 4.

Or just taking our guy at 1. I'm excited about this pick because either way I think we're getting a good, possibly great player. I prefer tb over all. But I will be pumped when we get our guy regardless.

This will be an exciting draft.
Old 03-27-2014   #2953
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

So Cliffs Notes is that he looked good but the same concerns remain and we basically learned nothing?
Old 03-27-2014   #2954
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30558 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
So Cliffs Notes is that he looked good but the same concerns remain and we basically learned nothing?

Yes.
Old 03-27-2014   #2955
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That tends to be the theme of pro days. The more important event today was the private meeting which we know nothing about. The pro-day we all saw was really all just free publicity for Texas A&M.
Old 03-27-2014   #2956
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No! Manziel took snaps from under center. Two things, at a minimum, was learned: 1) His footwork and mechanics was observed, and 2) coaches were able to discern how coachable he is in perfecting his mechanics for the next level.
Old 03-27-2014   #2957
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 03-27-2014   #2958
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those who don't like Johnny Manziel will still find reasons not to like him. I doubt that there is much of anything that Manziel could've done today to change their minds.
Old 03-27-2014   #2959
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

what about throwing in pads to rap music on his pro-day something never done before on such a national stage? those who don't like that, move along, those who do, jump aboard

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-27-2014   #2960
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
what about throwing in pads to rap music on his pro-day something never done before on such a national stage? those who don't like that, move along, those who do, jump aboard
The music is a negative, because of the audience (owners, GM's & coaches); the pads are a positive because you play in pads.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read