Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014   #2261
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I just got a phone call from Manziel's mom. She says for you to stop being such a mother hen.

Go back to the main idea of my post: "Manziel had nothing to gain by daring the Texans..." If you've ever been in competition with your peers for a promotion, you'd know that you're living under a microscope. There's as much a skill to knowing when to not say anything as there is to saying the right things. Criticizing Manziel on that isn't "being a hater," it's just good advice.
A lot of Manziel's moves are pretty calculated at this point like most draft prospects. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was advised to say what he did.
Old 02-17-2014   #2262
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
A lot of Manziel's moves are pretty calculated at this point like most draft prospects. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was advised to say what he did.
Calculated? This guy is best known for running the Benny Hill Offense in college! He improvises everything, including that interview.
Old 02-17-2014   #2263
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Calculated? This guy is best known for running the Benny Hill Offense in college! He improvises everything, including that interview.
He's created a brand......... People may dislike him, but he's in the headlines of every sports show that comes on for a reason. He knew exactly what he was trying to say there. He can definitely be a brat, but he wanted to deliver a message going into the interview and he did just that. McClain wasn't granted access by his team for no reason. He recently signed with LeBron's team and that guy makes nothing but calculated moves.
Old 02-17-2014   #2264
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, surprised to see your full on membership in the Manziel Defense League came through. But congratulations you managed to jump right into the defense of any comment no matter how small being directed his way if not 100% rosily endorsing everything he does and even if preceded by a positive.

Maybe you should save this rebuttal for when whether he actually plays pretty good football was part of the discussion.

But thank you for proving the snark was well earned.

...unwise but insignificant. ---- to the rescue.
And I'm surprised to see you in the full-on tear down Manziel club. You're the one making mountains out of molehills regarding his recent comments. Strangely, I haven't seen such vitriol from you regarding the other candidates.

Considering the only playing he's done thus far is pretty damn good by anyone's measure, what's your exact complaint on what's he's shown thus far? Please enlighten me on your "QBs who've shown more in college" discussion?

How about his "happy feet"? How about throwing off his back foot? How about his height? Durability? Anticipation? Blitz reading?

There's plenty to question about Manziel, this snarky bull**** is beneath you. How about honest evaluation of his play and style, rather than your presumptive "feelings" that he really hurt himself with his recent comments. (The pros have been awfully mixed on the reactions)

Manziel Defense League?

I guess I'm a member of the Bortles, Bridgewater and Clowney Defense leagues as well. They've all got pro and cons, but like the silly attacks on Bridgewater for a halloween costume, this latest barrage is overblown.
Old 02-17-2014   #2265
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in the grand scheme of things what manziel said in the interview may be looked at by some as a positive, others as a negative. (When I say "some" I mean the people that actually matter...the ones making the picks)

Personally, seems kind of insignificant to me. Already knew manziel has a little wild in him. He's brash...a but cocky. Not necessarily negative traits in a ball player.
Old 02-17-2014   #2266
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
While I agree with what you said. This part right here I believe is incorrect. You probably asked people that don't watch or care about sports (or children) cause everyone from Dallas I know and talk to knows it exists.
Ummm, no. I grew up there. Sorry but Houston has always been an afterthought to Dallas except for a tiny minority of people. About the most you are going to get is condescending contemptuousness that there is some big rivalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
And I'm surprised to see you in the full-on tear down Manziel club. You're the one making mountains out of molehills regarding his recent comments.
Really, calling something "insignificant" is tearing down and vitriol? Wow.
Old 02-17-2014   #2267
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really, calling something "insignificant" is tearing down and vitriol? Wow.
You stated it was "unwise, but will probably be insignificant". If it doesn't matter, then explain the unwise part?

Let's not act like that's your only anti-Johnny statement in here. Including the snark for reference.

Quote:
Consider it in context. Manziel was also talking about how he wanted to get away from the Johnny Football image which he had created. This was an odd way to display that.
Quote:
Yup, you're right. Anyone who even entertains the idea of a discussion of anything related to Manziel having even the remotest pittance of a chance of being considered less than perfection is clearly a hater.
Quote:
Something else being missed in these examples is they mainly came after being successful or at least after the draft not before. Like I said before, doubt it affects anything but it wasn't smart. It was also very odd right when he was trying to be "more mature than the whole Johnny Football thing."
This one is for context of the response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
If Bridgwater or Bortles would have given that exact same interview it would have been received totally different. .
Quote:
Sure is easy to knock down imaginary enemies
Quote:
But congratulations you managed to jump right into the defense of any comment no matter how small being directed his way if not 100% rosily endorsing everything he does and even if preceded by a positive.

Maybe I'm simply confusing your abundance of snark for vitriol.
Old 02-17-2014   #2268
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You stated it was "unwise, but will probably be insignificant". If it doesn't matter, then explain the unwise part?

Let's not act like that's your only anti-Johnny statement in here. Including the snark for reference.

Maybe I'm simply confusing your abundance of snark for vitriol.
From an outsider it looks like you're a little bit too sensitive about Manziel. Worse has been said about all the top prospects in this class.

I don't care for what Manziel said. I don't see any positive way to spin it. I don't think it will eventually hurt him but it's more likely to hurt than help.

I like that kind of attitude up to a certain point. But you have to be able to turn it off at times.
Old 02-17-2014   #2269
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
From an outsider it looks like you're a little bit too sensitive about Manziel. Worse has been said about all the top prospects in this class.

I don't care for what Manziel said. I don't see any positive way to spin it. I don't think it will eventually hurt him but it's more likely to hurt than help.

I like that kind of attitude up to a certain point. But you have to be able to turn it off at times.
I can buy that. I don't understand how you can't possibly see a positive spin though. (Showing the fierce competitor, showing the determination that won him a heisman, keeping the chip on his shoulder as motivation, etc.)

I've heard more positive and negative spin on this than I thought possible from a short interview. As with most things, I expect it affirms the pre-determined belief of those listening either way.
Old 02-17-2014   #2270
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is unwise vitriol? I am not the only one who didn't think the comment was his best move. Is everyone who doesn't think it was the perfect thing to say slinging vitriol?

I don't think it was a smart thing to do and tried to provide context about why it went counter to his other stated purpose of moving away from JF as an image. I didn't make that up, he did. I really can't believe that you can't see his comments may be considered less than ideal by some. I love how you keep leaving off that I first said I liked his having gotten advice from an OB connection.

Quote:
Now you are just missing the boat. The snark was not directed at Manziel. It was directed at fans who cannot tolerate any word spoken against him at all. That's not his fault and certainly isn't directed at him.

Quote:
You know better than this. I have a long record of disdain for IF arguments across the board dating to long before Manziel graduated HS.
Old 02-17-2014   #2271
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Gwall said it best. Apparently there is no middle ground. I've been labled a Teddy B Lover because I don't like Bortles, accused of calling people who I disagree with "Manziel Haters", Manziel lover, Bortles hater......... I would love it if the the draft was this weekend to be done with all of this. Bortles really will be a bust though for anyone who cares to know. Just my inner Bortles "hater" coming out.
Old 02-17-2014   #2272
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ANALYSIS
Quote:
STRENGTHS Has very big hands and grips the ball well on the move. Dynamic athlete. Exceptional game-day competitor -- rises to the occasion. Has a passion for the game. Played on the biggest of stages and revels in having his back against the wall. Stepped up against a national-championship Alabama defense in 2012 and has proven he can command come-from-behind victories, as he capped his career in the Chick-fil-A bowl vs. Duke by overcoming a 21-point halftime deficit. Sufficient timing, ball placement and accuracy (68.9 percent career passing percentage). Terrific scrambling ability. Reverse spins and buys time in the pocket while continuing to scan the field -- can still set his feet, alter his throwing motion and manipulate his arm and throwing platform. Houdini-like escapability (uses subtle, nifty sidestep moves) and improvisional ability in the pocket to pull a rabbit out of his hat and create magic. Has peripheral, wide-eyed running vision (sometimes seems like he has eyes in back of his head) and a very good feel for spacing. Carries the ball with a fearless confidence that he will find a way to create and usually gains positive yardage on broken plays when he appears trapped. Is mentally and physically tough -- will pop back up from hard collisions and respond to a challenge. Record-setting and award-winning two-year production. Has a knack for sustaining drives and possesses playmaking ability to create on third downs and in critical situations to keep the sticks moving.

WEAKNESSES Has an unorthodox body type with marginal height, rounded shoulders, an underdeveloped body and very big feet that almost look clumsy. Will need to learn to do a better job protecting his body and sliding. Feels pocket ghosts and often takes off running at the second flash of coverage. Undisciplined -- plays his own offense and presses to make plays. Cannot see over the pocket easily and almost never steps up into it, creating extra difficulties for OL coaches to coordinate blocking schemes and for offensive linemen to anticipate where the pocket will be. Dances around the pocket too much and creates needless sacks rolling into protection when the pocket is clean. Has not worked from under center, and footwork and set-up will require refinement. Often throws the ball up in the air and relies on big receivers to adjust to it and make plays, highly benefiting from the playmaking ability of Mike Evans. Tends to overshoot the deep ball and throw off his back foot, leading to some underthrows (too many dirtballs on the move) and diminished accuracy. Needlessly pats the ball when he scans the field. Could stand to do a better job carrying out play-action fakes. Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. Lacks ideal starting experience (only two years), operated a non-traditional offense and has a lot to learn.

NFL COMPARISON Rex Grossman, Ryan Leaf makeup, Fran Tarkenton playing style and Russell Wilson playmaking ability

BOTTOM LINE A very unique, run-around, ad-lib, sandlot-style quarterback who consistently won games playing a brand of fast-paced, jailbreak football that often goes off script and can be difficult both to game plan with and against. Is most comfortable on the move outside the pocket where he can find open throwing lanes and see the field and will command mush rush and extra spy defenders. Has defied the odds and proven to be a great college-system quarterback, but still must prove he is willing to work to be great, adjust his hard-partying, Hollywood lifestyle and be able to inspire his teammates by more than his playmaking ability. Overall character, leadership ability and work habits will define his NFL career. Rare competitiveness and third-down efficiency could carry him a long way, yet he will be challenged to avoid a Ryan Leaf-like, crash-and-burn scenario if he does not settle down and mature. A high-risk, high-reward pick, Manziel stands to benefit from entering the NFL at a time when moving pockets are trending.
Old 02-17-2014   #2273
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
All that is great, but what about his insincere smile and personality?
Old 02-17-2014   #2274
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
All that is great, but what about his insincere smile and personality?
I can't believe he put Ryan Leaf in that. Shows bias, imo.
Old 02-17-2014   #2275
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know better than this. I have a long record of disdain for IF arguments across the board dating to long before Manziel graduated HS.
It is true though, and you know it. If another QB in this draft had gone on record saying the same thing, it would have been received much differently. Why? Well it's obviously because of Manziel's colored past, and because of that people that already have a negative view on him have taken his quote as a very bad thing.

Thats not to say the opposite isn't just as true, because it is. On the Aggie boards I frequent everyone is praising Manziel for his recent interview and making it seem like his recent words are from holy scripture.

With a player like Manziel, everything will be blow of of proportion whether for good or bad. Players like Bortles and Bridgewater don't have the same national exposure as Manziel, therefore less strong opinions have been formed on them. At this point in his career Manziel is more than just another high first round prospect; he is one of the most popular athletes in America.

I dare you to find anyone out there that absolutely hates Bortles or Bridgewater; probably not going to happen because although many may discount their play, I doubt there is anyone out there that has the same strong feelings towards them as people that many do towards Manziel.
Old 02-17-2014   #2276
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I take Nawrocki's analysis with a grain of salt honestly. Some of the stuff he throws out there comes from thin air. He has a questionable reputation in the scouting community. Any guy that says prospects have fake smiles gets eliminated as reputable sources in my book.
Old 02-17-2014   #2277
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can buy that. I don't understand how you can't possibly see a positive spin though. (Showing the fierce competitor, showing the determination that won him a heisman, keeping the chip on his shoulder as motivation, etc.)

I've heard more positive and negative spin on this than I thought possible from a short interview. As with most things, I expect it affirms the pre-determined belief of those listening either way.
Correction.. keeping that DORITO on his shoulder.

Quote:
Nawrocki is an idiot, I can believe it. He's the new NFL.com pot stirrer. He is becoming Skip Bayless of that channel. Last year he said Geno would fail because of his personality, before that Cam cause he was caught up in the limelight. Dude is a joke, whatever cred he used to have he's throwing away to become an attention seeking tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
I dare you to find anyone out there that absolutely hates Bortles or Bridgewater; probably not going to happen because although many may discount their play, I doubt there is anyone out there that has the same strong feelings towards them as people that many do towards Manziel.
Go to the TB or Bortles threads. You will see them. You also see them here praising this dude every time he waves to a poor person or acknowledges a hooker.

Manziel fans are fanatics, this is the way it is. It's because their home base is College Station AKA Fanatic HQ. It's cool, I get it. Yall really love your own, but no one can sit here and honestly say A&M people aren't the craziest. It's not a terrible thing. If my squad U of H (whose been in Texas' shadow forever) every became the front running school of this state I would be a drunk school girl too about everyone coming out of that program.
Old 02-17-2014   #2278
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
"I'm going to measure 6 feet -- I'm 72 inches on the dot," Manziel said. "If they want to try to jump on my shoulders and squish me down, it's not going to be any less than that."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...door-wide-open
Old 02-17-2014   #2279
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why do I never read about THIS (swinging the loaf)............it will kill him in the NFL.

Old 02-17-2014   #2280
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Why do I never read about THIS (swinging the loaf)............it will kill him in the NFL.

Bad habit, been discussed by several posters in this thread, actually. I posted a similar pic noting the same issue. It's a problem and needs to be fixed.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read