Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2012   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Network's Shaun O'Hara - "Texans Have #1 Offensive Line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Was he active in Jville... I don't recall.
He was.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #22
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Best O-line in the game? I always considered that our Achilles Heel coming into the season. Winston wasn't an all-pro RT, but he was serviceable. Newton's been holding up so far, but he has yet to be truly tested. We will see this coming Sunday how he'll handle elite pass rushers.

By the way, speaking of the O-line, has anyone noticed the lack of good runs by Foster? I'm a little worried. I feel like Tate, as a runner, has been better than Foster these last few games.
Old 09-22-2012   #23
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Best O-line in the game? I always considered that our Achilles Heel coming into the season. Winston wasn't an all-pro RT, but he was serviceable. Newton's been holding up so far, but he has yet to be truly tested. We will see this coming Sunday how he'll handle elite pass rushers.

By the way, speaking of the O-line, has anyone noticed the lack of good runs by Foster? I'm a little worried. I feel like Tate, as a runner, has been better than Foster these last few games.
Yep only what like 3 TDs and 189 yard in two games. Plain awful huh.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #24
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The one thing i worry about is that in my time watching the NFL, teams such as the Chargers and Vikings have been long term top teams that never actually won anything, and have now crashed down and dropped to the bottom of the league/mid-table in terms of talent without ever capitalising on it.

I don't want the Texans to put together year after year of being a nearly team, we need Championships!

Other teams have had one good season and done a lot more during that time, Eagles, Bears, Cards have all been to the Superbowl without being perennial nearly teams for years either side.

I just hope our team isn't one of those that becomes the 'best' at this and the 'best' at that but never makes it count in the playoffs.

Well, only one team wins the Super Bowl a year, and it isn't always the best team. So that's natural.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #25
Nox
Rookie

Maybe he saw a few months into the future
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #26
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13548 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

The Giants OLine looked amazing thursday, I'd consider them top right now
Old 09-23-2012   #27
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Yep only what like 3 TDs and 189 yard in two games. Plain awful huh.
Yes, that looks good, but his yards per carry is way down, while Tate's yards are 1.2 yards per carry ahead of Foster.

I'm not poo-pooing on Foster in any way, though. There's also the factor of down, distance and how much they've been giving him the rock.

How much? 54 times, for the most carries of any running back in the NFL going into week 3.

That's 7 more carries than the next back, Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch is getting 4.4 ypc to Foster's 3.5.

To me, that means the Texans should pass to set up the run, and not the other way around right now. In other words, give teams a little more fear of our passing game so that Foster can maximize his carries. Right now, everyone is keying on Foster, and our O-Line needs to gel just a tad more.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2012   #28
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Yes, that looks good, but his yards per carry is way down, while Tate's yards are 1.2 yards per carry ahead of Foster.

I'm not poo-pooing on Foster in any way, though. There's also the factor of down, distance and how much they've been giving him the rock.

How much? 54 times, for the most carries of any running back in the NFL going into week 3.

That's 7 more carries than the next back, Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch is getting 4.4 ypc to Foster's 3.5.

To me, that means the Texans should pass to set up the run, and not the other way around right now. In other words, give teams a little more fear of our passing game so that Foster can maximize his carries. Right now, everyone is keying on Foster, and our O-Line needs to gel just a tad more.
Yeah, I wonder how much the O-line gelling is factoring in on Foster's low ypc, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering also how much his veganism is affecting, and will continue to affect, his running output.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #29
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Foster's YPC is lower than Tate because he's been given more carries and has carried earlier in games where defenses are expecting it, and he's been given more carries this season because we've run out the clock while holding on to a commanding lead. That'll change once we start getting into situations where we have to pass more.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Yeah, I wonder how much the O-line gelling is factoring in on Foster's low ypc, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering also how much his veganism is affecting, and will continue to affect, his running output.
If he eats properly as a vegan it really shouldn't make a difference. It is though a much tougher road to do that right, most especially as a professional athletic. I'm sure he has a diet coach, and if he doesn't, he should get one.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The vegan thing...? Again...??
...seriously???
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #32
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The vegan thing...? Again...??
...seriously???
Sorry. Just can't get it out of my mind. I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for .
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #33
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think at the bye week will be a good assessment of how the right side of our line is holding up. My guess is that teams will pick up on the fact that we only run to the left side of the line when we needed and by the bye week our right side is going to be tested. At the fins game, I didn't really see Newton getting beat very often. At this point he is not as good as Winston in run blocking, but and about the same in pass blocking, but again that's only with 2 sample points
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry. Just can't get it out of my mind. I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for .
No need to apologize...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; Foster isn't. Last interview I saw from him he said he expects to get these "you oughta eat some meat" comments every time he has an off game ...or bad play...
:sigh:
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know a lot of people who eat meat that would be killed if they played football.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
\ I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for .
Yao Ming must be a vegan. BTW, are Schaub and Andre leaning vegetarian? What about Mike Vick? Can every injury be explained by the amount of animal flesh in a player's diet?
Old 09-23-2012   #37
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yao Ming must be a vegan. BTW, are Schaub and Andre leaning vegetarian? What about Mike Vick? Can every injury be explained by the amount of animal flesh in a player's diet?
Yes
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #38
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13548 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

The Rams Oline looks awful today
Old 09-27-2012   #39
Big Consig
noob

Looks like Harris will be more than just serviceable backup to Newton if the last two drives against Denver are any indication. Holding your own against the likes of Dumerville and Miller after coming in cold is a good sign - and I especially liked the pancake on Dumerville and Harris's thump on Dumerville's chest after he schooled him in the first series Harris came in.
Big Consig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think at the bye week will be a good assessment of how the right side of our line is holding up. My guess is that teams will pick up on the fact that we only run to the left side of the line when we needed and by the bye week our right side is going to be tested. At the fins game, I didn't really see Newton getting beat very often. At this point he is not as good as Winston in run blocking, but and about the same in pass blocking, but again that's only with 2 sample points
Texans averaged 0.51 yards off LT (ranked 31st) and 4.73 off RT (ranked 10th).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It's not clear how the players were involved, but the difference is big enough to at least show that Newton has been effective in the run game.

I've been saying that there were more poor running plays to the left side and it seems like quite a few people didn't want to believe me.

Also, look at the last table where it shows we ran 6% of the time off LT and 10% of the time off RT.

They did not break down the runs off RG and LG, so on that part, we don't have separate numbers.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read