Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Simple question: Do you like the nickname "Bulls On Parade"?

Do you like the "Bulls On Parade" nickname?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went to the GD thread for the JAX game and saw some folks that didn't...so I wanted to see where basically everyone was with that name...

I personally like it because of the track that goes with it. "Bulls on Parade" by RATM gets a brother hyped.

What say you, Texan fam?

Many folks seem to have a problem with the reference to a festive procession as part of the nickname (even though it's clearly a military reference), yet have no problems with one of the best/most famous defenses of all time having a nickname that referenced window treatments.

I'm fine with it.

It's a good riff and I understand the desire to use it as an intro.

But has anyone even bothered to pay attention to the actual message of the song?

It's not very flattering of the military, stock market, U.S. foreign policy, and the manipulation of mainstream media to brainwash citizens.

yeah, that should be a nice song to play when they honor patriotism at the game.

To me a nickname should sound fierce and intimidating.

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
The Purple People Eaters.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

These teams played hard nosed defense and were utilized intimidating nicknames.

Bulls on Parade is not intimidating. I understand what it means, but it still comes across as passive. The Bulls are walking down the street. There is no raw aggression that comes to me when I think of that nickname.

Thus, I don't care for it.

But has anyone even bothered to pay attention to the actual message of the song?

It's not very flattering of the military, stock market, U.S. foreign policy, and the manipulation of mainstream media to brainwash citizens.

yeah, that should be a nice song to play when they honor patriotism at the game.

It's like when President Reagan used Born in the USA as his campaign song without actually listening to it or understanding what it means.

Not going to lie, but its probably the most effeminate nickname I've ever heard for a football team. Parades usually involve a lot of baton twirling, colorful balloons, and frilly costumes.

The biggest irony in all of this is that the song is likely a pretty scathing critique of so called "Family Values" that are the foundation of many conservative political beliefs.

Think about it. "Rally around the family with a pocket full of shells"

What is a male elephant called? Yeah, a bull

"Bulls on Parade" is about the hypocrisy of warmongering and family values being part of the same political ideology.

Look at the lyrics to the song:
Terror rains drenchin', quenchin' tha thirst of tha power dons
That five sided fist-a-gon
Tha rotten sore on tha face of mother earth gets bigger

and

Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Five sided fist a gon? Hmm wonder what that could be. Money going to weapons, not food homes or shoes? Hmm.

Just funny to have that as the theme song for a Texas team in which the majority of the fanbase is likely registered Republican

100%. You nailed it. Very good riff, very strange message, silly sounding name

I listen to the song 10 times a day. Great song, great nickname. It will go down in history along with the Dooooomsday Defense, Purple People Eaters and Steel Curtain Defense.

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

Bulls on Parade is not intimidating. I understand what it means, but it still comes across as passive. The Bulls are walking down the street. There is no raw aggression that comes to me when I think of that nickname.

Exactly how I feel except I would have to change "I don't care for it" to "I hate the pansy-like connotation."

The question I would have to ask is when you think of "Bulls on Parade," do you picture

753071238712538.jpg
[Thanks to Rey for previously posting this pic]

or

arian_3.jpg

There needs to be a third option in the poll which is "meh". Cause that's where I'm at with it. I like the song and I don't mind them playing it.

But I'm not a big fan of nicknames and this one feels forced to me. People have been trying to force a nickname on our defense for 10 years now and I'm just not into that.

If people want to call it that, fine. But whatEV.

Listening to "Rage Against the Machine" with my speakers on full blast. It gets me fired up and excited each time. Be right back... Going to go eat some raw eggs, bench press a Buick Truck and sprint 10 miles outside. Bulls on Parade!!!!!

The Walking Dead.

Nothing scares more than zombies coming after you.

It's really the best choice. We will keep clawing, crawling, running, whatever it takes to get to the opponent.

They could play the creepy music, zombie sound effects after a sack. Fans could dress as zombies.

Beats da hell outta Bulls On Parade.

Not a fan of the name, but if it sticks due to our defense dominating for years then I'm sure I'll come around to liking it. I didn't like the name Texans at first either but took a liking to it as well.

Ultimately all that matters is how the D plays and if we win or lose.

The Gas House Gang.

Gas House, becuase Houston is known as a oil and gas town and Gang to convey aggressiveness.

On second thought, yeah I am not good at this.

Personally, I don't really care about nicknames anymore. They can call themselves whatever the heck they want as long as they stop/slow down opposing offenses

You can take the most testosterone fueled, gnarly, bad ass metal song int he world and give it a title like Guys in Tutus and it becomes a bad song. Sorry, Bulls on Parade is just fkn stupid. In all actuality, I'd use a different word if we weren't in public. I hate it.

EDIT to add:

I saw Marcus' post after I posted:

I think it's queerer than a three dollar bill.

What he said.

Rage Against The Machine are known for their political outcries. A good bunch of their songs are always critical of the party in charge. I actually love their songs. Not meaning to get political here, but their songs are a perfect example of freedom of speech. They always sang a song that a majority of America probably wouldn't agree with, but it was their right. I have mad respect for them for that, and Tom Morrello is a guitar god. Right up there with Hendirx and Harrison.

Just to clarify, I don't agree with the meaning of their songs either. For starters, the majority of their songs were written while I was still very young, so I wasn't involved with the issues that were going on at the time. I don't accept anarchy either, which is what they promote in a way. Just because I don't like the meaning doesn't mean I don't like their songs. They are so awesome.

Political issues aside, (and I only made those points because some of the posters seemed to have a problem with the meaning of the song rather than the sound of it) I love the nickname. It's like what FS said, it gets you revved up. Also, it doesn't matter if this board doesn't like it, because it has been etched into the hype machine. They play it at every game, and even the coaches tweet about it with #bullsonparade Whether we like it, or not, it isn't going away anytime soon.

I feel like, years from now we will look back and think fondly of it. When I was younger, I used to hate when the Astros would play the buzzing sound when one of the Killer B's came up. I found it annoying, but I think back on it now, and I miss it. (Well, I also miss the Astros winning too.)

So, yeah. Regardless on if we like it or not, We still have an awesome defense. GOOOOOOOOOOO TEXANS!!!!!!

Exactly how I feel except I would have to change "I don't care for it" to "I hate the pansy-like connotation."

The question I would have to ask is when you think of "Bulls on Parade," do you picture

753071238712538.jpg
[Thanks to Rey for previously posting this pic]

or

arian_3.jpg

I don't know cloak, I'm kinda intimidated by Arian Foster doing anything, including riding a mechanical bull.

I just think you have to take the entire title into context, instead of focusing on the word 'parade' by itself. If a bunch of bulls parade through the streets I doubt it would include baton whirling or floats of famous cartoon characters.

Dont hate it, dont love it. Works best only when song is playing in background at games. Doesnt have enough to catch on nationally.

I really wish we could just revive the house of pain. It was ours in the first place.

Dont hate it, dont love it. Works best only when song is playing in background at games. Doesnt have enough to catch on nationally.

I really wish we could just revive the house of pain. It was ours in the first place.

If we did that, Bud Adams would sue us and flip the bird at us :kitten:

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

Just think what people were saying about the Purple People Eaters defense when that nickname first came out.....:backsout:

I wouldn't call it fierce and Intimidating

I would have voted "meh" if it was an option. I don't have the disdain for the name that a lot of folks on here do but I also don't think it's a great nickname.

Song - Yes!

Nickname - No!

I just try to think of it as the running of bulls in Pamplona.

Opposing offenses get stomped and gorged.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Never heard the song, never heard of the group, and don't like the nickname. It simply does NOT make sense, esp for those of us who don't get into whatever kind of music that is. If that's where they got the name from then SHAME on Connor Barwin, I think it was him who started the whole thing, for picking such a lame name. I would rather not have a nickname for them at all. JMO!

Just think what people were saying about the Purple People Eaters defense when that nickname first came out.....:backsout:

I wouldn't call it fierce and Intimidating

AND it was because of a song that was popular at the time: The One-Eyed Flying Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley. Loved that song when I was 5-6 years old.

I keep thinking to myself...what other team has such a idiotic sounding nickname for their defense?

I can't believe there are that many people who have voted for that awful name. That nickname is just putrid. If I thought it might happen, I'd offer the admins a couple hundred bucks just to ban that name from displaying like they do certain curse words.

Didn't we have this identical thread last year?

The nickname Bulls on Parade is extraordinarily gay. Steeped in gayness. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The tune is killer. The nickname is....

Gay_Pride_Parade_NYCR108.jpg

Havent logged in to my acct in months........just been lurking and reading......but this made me log in just to say

HATED IT!!!!!! ........this nick name is the worse.......I thought I was alone on it.....so thats why I never said anything......but I see I'm not alone........lol

9173.jpg

Front page at Houston Cow Parade AKA the Texans nickname

logo_blue0.gif

Nothing against the Cow Parade either. I thought it was awesome and very enjoyable. Kudos to the artists, all of them, for being so inventive and making such cool works of public art. But as a nickname for our defense? Nah

The Walking Dead.

Nothing scares more than zombies coming after you.

It's really the best choice. We will keep clawing, crawling, running, whatever it takes to get to the opponent.

They could play the creepy music, zombie sound effects after a sack. Fans could dress as zombies.

Beats da hell outta Bulls On Parade.

They need to be those "28 Days Later" fast zombies though.

As for the song, I dislike the band, so I voted no. Rage against the Machine is part of the "machine"..........

Could go with "The Monster Mash" after a sack. J/K

Back