Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2012   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Artificial turf at Reliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Great "you" can smell the grass.
That's cool keep on loosing players AJ, Wes Welker, Hartman who knows it could be Foster one of these days but at least "you" get to smell it.
Believe me nothing beats real grass but that grass on a pallet is far from stable. It's freaking stupid and I can't believe the league aloes it.
But that's cool because it smells great.
Don't get me started on that POS dome either.
Reliant has been highly ranked in the player polls since it opened.
Old 09-19-2012   #22
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a grass player poll????
I would love to see that.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
There is a grass player poll????
I would love to see that.
Cak is correct. I posted this last year.

2010 NFL Players Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #24
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
One exception, he said, will be national or international soccer games, which organizers prefer to be played on natural grass.
I always hated how those soccer players would mess up our field, looks like they're going to keep doing it.
Old 09-19-2012   #25
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Cak is correct. I posted this last year.

2010 NFL Players Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey
Wow! Who knew!

It rated 7th I think in that survey which is pretty good.
Hey I'm not the one playing on it but I'm sure they don't have it in there so the peeps on the lower bowl can have some thing good to smell. If they like so be it.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #26
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like a good idea but why now and not back in 2002? You mean to tell me it took 10 years to figure this out?
Old 09-19-2012   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Seems like a good idea but why now and not back in 2002? You mean to tell me it took 10 years to figure this out?

BOB MCNAIR
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2012   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I hear you. I just figure listen to the guys who have played the most - I mean damn the average NFL player is only about 26. Surfaces you spend so much time on have long term effects. Running on streets v. running on the Memorial loop is hugely different. I would rather have a less attractive but safer field for our kids. My eldest son is a big soccer player so yeah I am concerned. I don't want his knees to ache like mine.
I played in the Dome a couple of times and the following couple of days, my knees were barking. I don't think any high schools or in fact, college kids should play on astro-turf. I know that the newer field turf is better, but still. Kids should play on natural grass.
Old 09-19-2012   #29
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
You are thinking about Astroturf. High School stadiums all over everywhere have the turf they will be playing on which is a far cry from Astroturf.
It's still not as good as natural grass. Natural grass "gives" more than even the new and improved "field turf". Still more knee and ankle injuries on field turf than grass.
Old 09-19-2012   #30
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I played in the Dome a couple of times and the following couple of days, my knees were barking. I don't think any high schools or in fact, college kids should play on astro-turf. I know that the newer field turf is better, but still. Kids should play on natural grass.
Today most of them are playing on hydro.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

610 reporting that Reliant grass will not be replaced for the Titans game. I wonder in what shape the grass will be. TifSport Bermuda is pretty intolerant of shade, and although we are not into November when the sunlight hours really begins getting cut down in the stadium (more than during the other months when light is still not adequate), I will be very curious not only what it looks like (color and if it has thinned), but how it plays on. Sometimes light-compromised Bermuda can come up pretty easily. I often wonder if resulting different conditions of the field, lead to compensating by cutting the grass to different heights, leading to some claims of inconsistency from one game to another. Bermuda cut longer may become somewhat more shade resistant, but can be harder to play on.
Old 09-29-2012   #32
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
610 reporting that Reliant grass will not be replaced for the Titans game. I wonder in what shape the grass will be. TifSport Bermuda is pretty intolerant of shade, and although we are not into November when the sunlight hours really begins getting cut down in the stadium (more than during the other months when light is still not adequate), I will be very curious not only what it looks like (color and if it has thinned), but how it plays on. Sometimes light-compromised Bermuda can come up pretty easily. I often wonder if resulting different conditions of the field, lead to compensating by cutting the grass to different heights, leading to some claims of inconsistency from one game to another. Bermuda cut longer may become somewhat more shade resistant, but can be harder to play on.
Why wouldn't they wait to make that call until after the UH-Rice game? Makes no sense to me.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #33
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Why wouldn't they wait to make that call until after the UH-Rice game? Makes no sense to me.
Not enough time to replace and let the grass set.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Discovery Bermuda is a hybrid bermuda that I just put down in my backyard.

VERY shade tolerant, low growing and dark green in color. A lot of football fields are putting it in now...because it is such an attractive and such a hardy grass turf.

I wonder if the Texans have ever looked into it? There's a turf farm in the coastal area down there that grows it. It is almost like a putting green surface but with some blade to it.
Old 09-29-2012   #35
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Not enough time to replace and let the grass set.
If that's the case, then getting the field turf for the college games is useless since they won't have enough time to replace it with the grass field after a potential Sat. college game.
Old 09-29-2012   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If that's the case, then getting the field turf for the college games is useless since they won't have enough time to replace it with the grass field after a potential Sat. college game.
There may be a problem with the continuous rain sogging the dirt, grass and trays.

Nevertheless, there seem to be lots of chunks of loose sod being generated quite nicely by the game going on right now.
Old 09-29-2012   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

With billions of dollars being made in the NFL each year, they can't come up with a good solution to this turf problem?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #38
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
With billions of dollars being made in the NFL each year, they can't come up with a good solution to this turf problem?
I think Phoenix has the best solution. Grow and replace the whole field all at once. No trays, no seams, and no inconsistencies from tray to tray.

I'm assuming the field tomorrow will be "acceptable." But there is no way it's going to be as good as it is for today's game.

And I'm not a fan of any artificial surface.
Old 09-29-2012   #39
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 123395 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of a professional team sharing their field w anyone that can shred their field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Phoenix has the best solution. Grow and replace the whole field all at once. No trays, no seams, and no inconsistencies from tray to tray.

I'm assuming the field tomorrow will be "acceptable." But there is no way it's going to be as good as it is for today's game.

And I'm not a fan of any artificial surface.
Technically, Cardinal Stadiums whole field one-piece grass tray is never "replaced" during the season. It is mobilized outside of the stadium into open parking space between games mostly for benefit of full sun (the same reason we "grow" our pallets offsite Reliant). While outside, damaged areas are repaired/replaced.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I believe that as of last year, Reliant grass pallets are routinely now taken out to the parking lot near the tram east of Reliant because trying to preserve it inside the stadium between games has resulted in poor results. Thar would then be a similar principle to the Cardinals......but in piecemeal.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 09-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read