Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2012   #1
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Artificial turf at Reliant

Good to hear. Save that natural grass for our team!

http://www.chron.com/sports/headline...es-3875501.php
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Artificial turf at Reliant

Good. Very Good.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news, and probably the first step towards the Texans playing on field turf next year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

GOOD!!!

I don't want my weekly (since 2002) tradition of getting a "pinch" of grass to put under the bill of my cap, to ever end... That said, rolling out "turf" for other events, sits well with me!!!

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 09-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Are there other stadiums that use alternating natural, and artificial turf? I've never noticed any.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #6
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why they don't use field turf???

That whole "turf on a pallet" idea is stupid. If you don't think so ask Hartmen the punter last year if he likes that Turf on a pallet.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
I don't know why they don't use field turf???

That whole "turf on a pallet" idea is stupid. If you don't think so ask Hartmen the punter last year if he likes that Turf on a pallet.
Well, because field turf sucks, maybe??? They're is nothing like smelling real grass!!!! Than again, from your seats *EDIT* "I don't know where you sit, so that's unfair on my part", but maybe you don't get that luxury.
Old 09-18-2012   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The turf and the installation machinery likely will be stored in a warehouse or in the Astrodome when it is not in use at the stadium.
And people wanted to tear it down... thank God. That building has gone from the 7th wonder of the world to everyone in the world wondering why it is still standing.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
And people wanted to tear it down... thank God. That building has gone from the 7th wonder of the world to everyone in the world wondering why it is still standing.

Mike
"The DOME!!!!!"
Old 09-18-2012   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 123638 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
8th Wonder Of The World. 8TH.

What are you, from out of town?? <---(kidding with you, that's an old Marvin Zindler/Eyewitness News commercial reference)

....but 8th...wonder....of the world.
Old 09-18-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The turf and the installation machinery likely will be stored in a warehouse or in the Astrodome when it is not in use at the stadium.
Quote:

Mike
Now the grounds keepers can enjoy "asbestos lung" and "the plague." And, since they will now have regular visitors, the rats will avoid deep sensory deprivation and its accompanying severe depression.

Just in case some of them "dirty rats" accidentally get transported back to Reliant, Bob has hired a special agent whose sole job is to "take care" of them....Yeh........

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool. Our kids can blow their knees out instead of our multimillion dollar athletes. As long as it look pretty on game day.
Old 09-18-2012   #13
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 123638 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Cool. Our kids can blow their knees out instead of our multimillion dollar athletes. As long as it look pretty on game day.
You are thinking about Astroturf. High School stadiums all over everywhere have the turf they will be playing on which is a far cry from Astroturf.
Old 09-19-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
You are thinking about Astroturf. High School stadiums all over everywhere have the turf they will be playing on which is a far cry from Astroturf.
Such as the field turf in our practice stadium which they don't let anyone on our team with a hint of a knee injury practice on. So no I am not thinking of Astroturf.

Time and time again the players have been surveyed and hate any form of turf so far.
Old 09-19-2012   #15
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Such as the field turf in our practice stadium which they don't let anyone on our team with a hint of a knee injury practice on. So no I am not thinking of Astroturf.
Then what's with the bleeding heart post above?? Have you played on the modern stuff? I have and cannot fault venues for using them. Sure, the Texans are going to keep them off the artificial stuff if they are gimpy, anybody would because nothing is like the real thing. Doesn't mean the kids are being thrown under the bus by playing on the stuff.

I played on Astroturf too and am still surprised my knees and ankles survived. If they meant putting the kids on that crap I would be up in arms. As it is I see no problem whatsoever.

Btw, if I had my way they would all play on grass. These is nothing like the real thing.
Old 09-19-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Btw, if I had my way they would all play on grass. These is nothing like the real thing.
I hear you. I just figure listen to the guys who have played the most - I mean damn the average NFL player is only about 26. Surfaces you spend so much time on have long term effects. Running on streets v. running on the Memorial loop is hugely different. I would rather have a less attractive but safer field for our kids. My eldest son is a big soccer player so yeah I am concerned. I don't want his knees to ache like mine.
Old 09-19-2012   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
I hear you. I just figure listen to the guys who have played the most - I mean damn the average NFL player is only about 26. Surfaces you spend so much time on have long term effects. Running on streets v. running on the Memorial loop is hugely different. I would rather have a less attractive but safer field for our kids. My eldest son is a big soccer player so yeah I am concerned. I don't want his knees to ache like mine.
Good points there. I just think they are in pretty good hands but I don't know all there is to know on the subject. Especially on the new turf, though it treated my - by then - out of shape knees and ankles surprisingly good.

Maybe CloakNNNDagger wil jump in with some wisdom for us.
Old 09-19-2012   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good points there. I just think they are in pretty good hands but I don't know all there is to know on the subject. Especially on the new turf, though it treated my - by then - out of shape knees and ankles surprisingly good.

Maybe CloakNNNDagger wil jump in with some wisdom for us.
Although there have been great improvements in artificial turfs over the past decade, grass remains the "gold standard." With that said, when referring to grass as the optimal option, we are speaking of CONSTANTLY WELL-KEPT, WELL-MANICURED grass. Just as important is the type of footwear worn by the player being carefully matched to the type of surface. As relates to our kids playing on the various types of field, grass would theoretically definitely still be the optimal surface. However, especially at the elementary, middle school and even high school levels, we all have seen how poorly many of these grass fields are maintained. Footwear, a very important part of this equation, has also not been the greatest priority either. At these levels, conditions and types of surfaces are numerous as they are on the professional level. However, seldom do schools supply their players 3 or 4 pairs of surface-appropriate or quick-modifiable shoes. Unfortunately, our kids will probably always be exposed in some form to a compromising situation. Some would argue that, at lower levels artificial turf, after initial investment, takes much less time and monies to maintain, doesn't really change from game to game, requires lesser number of footwear (wet/dry). The problem again is that each type of artificial surface has its own quirky characteristics which do not necessarily translate into similar equipment needs to another artificial surface that may be found at a different school.

Bottom line, reviews of the subject have supported the view that a few of the very new generation artificial surfaces MAY hold their own with natural grass as relates to initial injuries. However, there is scarce support that a player with an established lower extremity injury would be less likely to re-injure on artificial surfaces. And since many players, especially as the season wears on, are playing through a myriad of lower limb injuries, the decision/preference to play on a well-maintained grass field while wearing the appropriate footwear, would appear to be a no-brainer (tip hat to Kubiak and his indoor practice policy).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #19
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
Hey now, we could turn it into an adoption center for rats & cats.

Quote:
I played on Astroturf too and am still surprised my knees and ankles survived. If they meant putting the kids on that crap I would be up in arms. As it is I see no problem whatsoever.

I got to play on the "old" Oilers turf (before even they replaced it), it was brutal. Our 'brilliant' coach had us running flare routes where our cuts were right on the seam. All but one back (out of 20 or so) tweaked a knee during that workout. Best turf I ever played on? Tully Stadium, that stuff was "spongy"...even moreso in the monsoon I played in ('85).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Footwear, a very important part of this equation, has also not been the greatest priority either. At these levels, conditions and types of surfaces are numerous as they are on the professional level. However, seldom do schools supply their players 3 or 4 pairs of surface-appropriate or quick-modifiable shoes.
We got one pair of rubber cleats (non adjustable) and one pair of turf shoes, that was it. both were exceedingly cheap (until varsity rolled around).
Old 09-19-2012   #20
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well, because field turf sucks, maybe??? They're is nothing like smelling real grass!!!! Than again, from your seats *EDIT* "I don't know where you sit, so that's unfair on my part", but maybe you don't get that luxury.

Great "you" can smell the grass.
That's cool keep on loosing players AJ, Wes Welker, Hartman who knows it could be Foster one of these days but at least "you" get to smell it.
Believe me nothing beats real grass but that grass on a pallet is far from stable. It's freaking stupid and I can't believe the league aloes it.
But that's cool because it smells great.
Don't get me started on that POS dome either.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read