Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-29-2005   #1
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler
Default The "I hope the Jaguars move to L.A." Thread

One of the biggest problems with the AFC South is that Houston is the only Larger Market team/ High revenue team. Indy, Jacksonville, and Tennesse small market, low revenue teams. None of those teams have the cult following of other small market teams like Pittsburgh or GreenBay have. So the end result is the AFC south gets less national exposure and less coverage. If it wasn't for Peyton Manning no one would have even mentioned a word last season about the AFC South.

The only time the Jaguars made national news last year was to talk about how their fans weren't coming out to support a winning team. Or how bad of a host city they were for the superbowl.

Just some stats for those of you who don't know.
LA Area = 12,000,000 people with in fairly close proximity. The home of the movie/TV industry.

Also this could just as easily be the "I hope the Colts move to L.A." Thread. It would be just as beneficial.

Personally I will have a huge smile if I see the L.A. Colts or the L.A. Jaguars take the field sometime in the not too distant future.

Look at the AFC East. Philly, Washington, NYG, Dallas. All high revenue teams in big markets. They get tons of coverage, you add L.A. to the AFC south and our coverage would double or tripple.

The fact that the AFC South is full of new teams and has no traditional rivalries doesn't help either. The Media power of L.A. would go a long way to closing this gap.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

One problem with that.... L.A. isnt in the South. L.A. will either be an AFC or NFC West team.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #3
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well then i hope they stay along w/ the rest.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #4
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
One problem with that.... L.A. isnt in the South. L.A. will either be an AFC or NFC West team.
Well, Indy isn't exactly in the South either.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

plus with the way indy and ten are it wont be long UNTIL we are the top of our division. So lets leave things the way they are.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #6
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
From LA it is less that a 2 hour drive to Mexico and it stays pretty warm year around. Feels pretty south to me. (Yeah i know it isn't south in the traditional "y'all" way.)

- You could just as easily say Jacksonville belongs in the East.
- Dallas isn't exactly the East.
- People in California would argue that Denver isnt the West being that it is over 1000 miles from the west coast.
- St. Louis is about 2000 miles for the west coast.

Indianapolis fought for the North and 1/2 the teams in the AFC north are located South of Indianapolis.

Wouldn't you guys rather have a good rivalary worthy of National Coverage?
Old 05-29-2005   #7
Texan Dave
Veteran

Considering that Jacksonville can't even fill their stadium, send them to L.A.

We'll still beat them just the same as always. Besides, I doubt that the NFL would realign the divisions just because of a team moving to a new city.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2005   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Wouldn't you guys rather have a good rivalary worthy of National Coverage?
I don't really care where the Texans have to go to put a whooping on the Jags. Parking lot at Memorial City is good for me.
Old 05-29-2005   #9
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

If Jax moved they would still be part of the AFC South no matter what because divisions in the NFL are organized more by history and rivalries than by location, just look at were the Cowboys, Indianapolis, St.Louis, and Kansas City are placed in. Indy would never be sent to LA considering that they are pretty close or already have come to an agreement on a new stadium and have the whole city cheering for them. Jax would never move not because they can't fill Jax but because they've only been there for about 10 years and they are just now becoming good. O and BTW it doesn't matter what team moves to LA (most likely Saints) LA won't be switched to NFC or AFC west it will just stay the same.
Old 05-30-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

look the whole problem with L.A. is the fans there suck...yes worse than the fans in jacksonville...you think they have problems filling stands in jacksonville with a mediocre team try L.A. where if they don't have a playoff team every year no one goes to the games...anybody remember the last time the L.A. clippers sold out their arena...haha...never...i know the nfl thinks it needs a L.A. franchise but so do indy, and new orleans...personally i think they would be better off doing an expansion team in L.A. and start fresh...that way people in L.A. might feel better about going to see a non-winning team because it is a team of their own not a team that moved there like the rams, raiders, and the next team looking for quick money...start a new team there give them a nice retractable room stadium like us...we set the standard haha...give them a coach who is runs the west coast offense because you know if they aren't passin people are complainin and then give them drug rehab story QB so half the city can relate
Old 05-30-2005   #11
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Maybe the LA fans would lower their standards for teams but as long as the Lakers keep making it to the playoffs 5 out 6 years then LA will stay a Laker city and won't go see the expansion team unless they're making it to the playoffs by their 2nd year (I heard LA is a bandwagon city)
Old 05-30-2005   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
look the whole problem with L.A. is the fans there suck...yes worse than the fans in jacksonville...you think they have problems filling stands in jacksonville with a mediocre team try L.A. where if they don't have a playoff team every year no one goes to the games...anybody remember the last time the L.A. clippers sold out their arena...haha...never...i know the nfl thinks it needs a L.A. franchise but so do indy, and new orleans...personally i think they would be better off doing an expansion team in L.A. and start fresh...that way people in L.A. might feel better about going to see a non-winning team because it is a team of their own not a team that moved there like the rams, raiders, and the next team looking for quick money...start a new team there give them a nice retractable room stadium like us...we set the standard haha...give them a coach who is runs the west coast offense because you know if they aren't passin people are complainin and then give them drug rehab story QB so half the city can relate
You are exactly right. The issue is about getting fans to see the team and LA just is not a football town. Think about this when the Raiders and Rams were there, they had trouble keeping the stadium full.

I have a buddy of mine in LA who is an avid sports fan and I asked him what the chance of football succeding in LA. He basically said that LA is more of a baseball/basketball town then football. He said he thought it had to do somewhat with the glamorizing lifestyle of LA. In baseball/baseketball you can see the person's face whereas in football you cannot see the person's face. For some people that makes the game more distant.
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Atlanta and New Orleans used to be in the old NFC West. I doubt they realign a conference if a team moves to LA. Could happen, but I doubt it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #14
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
Your right LA is not the best football city. Well let me rephrase that...they are not the best Pro Football city. But you have to understand something. The previous stadiums they played in were total dumps. They make the Astrodome seem like a first class pallace by comparison. Even the Rose Bowl is just an oversized High School stadium. In this area full of rich, implanted, and well tanned people you got to have a first class facility. PS: Dodger stadium is a total dump too. Angel Stadium is decent but not as nice at Minute Maid.

There are 12-15 Million people in the LA market.(Imagine 3-4 Houstons bundled together.) There are 1.2 million in the Jacksonville. You can afford to have a lot of people not care in LA, you can't in Jacksonville. Plus the LA name sells merchandice, i don't know why but it does.

The area already supports TWO MLB teams, TWO NBA teams, TWO NHL teams, TWO MLS teams. If you don't think LA would be a perfect place for ONE NFL team then you need to lay off the the crack rock. I mean if people in the warm sunny LA Area can support two Hockey teams, then the sky is the limit.

The weather in LA area is basically perfect year around.(Imagine the best day of the year in Houston and that is what the weather is like in LA almost every day.) So people flock to SoCal and the area is full of Transplants. On sunday mornings the sports bars are full of fans. Lots of Raiders and Rams fans and a TON of fans from all over the country. Trust me there is a very strong passion for Pro Football in this city. Your right if you think the stadium would be full of fans from the opposing team. But that is a reality you must face in an area that is full of people from somewhere else.

Keep in mind the only reason I am hoping the Jags move to LA is that I get to go see the Texans at least once a year.
Old 06-01-2005   #15
Daonly
Veteran

Im from Baytown, and I live in Los Angeles. I hope we do get a team here. It can be the porkskins tideley winks for all I care. So I can can have a chance to see my team play The Texans or course.. or just to see some real football instead of the Arena football. Carson, Ca. right outside of Los Angeles, approx same distance from Baytown to Houston; got out of the race to build a new stadium. Anihem got into the running and said if the Chargers want to move there; they ready to break ground by December. They have the money and land to build a state of the art stadium, Which they can run train transist system from San Diego right to the front of the Stadium for Chargers Fans. That way L.A. fans and San Diego Fans can both attend games as well as Anihem. So that may happen.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #16
FBT
Rookie

Jacksonville will relocate to LA when

Since that's not happening, you might want to contain your glee over the prospect.

Jacksonville is the 2nd smallest market in the NFL, and we have one of the largest stadiums in the league. We also had 4 straight losing seasons, a coach that was hated by at least half the fanbase, and a team that was strapped by cap abuse that left us in a serious hole.

The stadium is being modified to bring it more in line with what the market should have had all along. The team is making money. We're in the middle of the league for actual attendance despite the showing for 1 bad weather game on the day after Christmas against a team that many Jag fans don't take seriously.

I know that you folks have gotten a bit surly since you swept the Jaguars last year, but realistically, you've never finished ahead of them in the standings. In fact, you haven't had a winning season as a franchise to date. You might be coming off as being a tad cocky considering the fact that your team really hasn't achieved what other expansion franchises did very early on in the process.

Not here running smack. Just making sure that someone actually deals in fact and not mindless speculation. The league wants a team in LA. The most likely candidate is New Orleans. Jacksonville just spent a ton of money upgrading it's stadium to handle the Super Bowl, which BTW, did get bad press from a couple of media-types who either didn't like the cold weather early in the week, or, like Kornheiser, never actually came to Jacksonville, but fed off of what he had heard. The folks that were there for the entire week were extremely satisfied with the experience when the game was done. In fact, Jacksonville got better press for hosting the game in our small market than Houston did with it's larger one because your activities were considered too spread out.

If the press is correct, the Colts have a new stadium deal agreed to, so they're probably not relocating either.

So, you folks are stuck with the small markets. Sorry to burst your bubbles. If you want national exposure, try winning more games. That's usually the formula that's going to get you more respect.

Also, regarding the fans and someone's suggestion that the fans in Jacksonville suck, that's a blatantly false statement. The NFL wouldn't have awarded the town a team in the first place if they felt that way. They understood that this was not going to be an instant success in Jacksonville because of the size of the market, but they committed to the long haul in the town because of the passion of the fan base, as well as the rapid growth in the area. This is a market that the league identified as a target that they wanted to be in because of that growth. They won't abandon it now.
FBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT
day after Christmas against a team that many Jag fans don't take seriously.
I find that truly hard to believe considering you have a losing record against us (2-4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT
Just making sure that someone actually deals in fact and not mindless speculation
Fact is your fanbase and your team choked. With a victory, you guys would have eased into the playoffs. Fortunatley for us, neither your team or your fans decided to show for that game.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #18
FBT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I find that truly hard to believe considering you have a losing record against us (2-4).

Fact is your fanbase and your team choked. With a victory, you guys would have eased into the playoffs. Fortunatley for us, neither your team or your fans decided to show for that game.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, that doesn't make you right.

I was at the game. And I was disappointed by the turnout. But, if you were there, you would understand why people may not have come out. The weather that day was absolute garbage. It was cold and raining right up to game time, and didn't start to clear out until after the half. It was the day after Christmas, which for those of you who don't know any better, happens to be one of the busiest travel days of the year. And I hate to break it to you, but regardless of what our team is vs. your franchise, people still don't really get excited about playing the Texans. That's a fact.

I appreciate the fact that you plucked two quotes out of my post to respond to, but decided not to touch on the rest of it. Real shock.
Old 06-02-2005   #19
FBT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
Jax would never move not because they can't fill Jax but because they've only been there for about 10 years and they are just now becoming good.
Just now? Really? So, going to the AFC Championship game twice, and going to the playoffs in 4 out of our first 5 years in the league was not considered 'good'? I suppose the Texans have been a post season fixture under Capers and I just missed that, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That probably says a ton about your fans then...since you had playoffs in your grasp if you beat us.
You think losing to the Texans is what cost us the playoffs? So, not beating the Titans at home had nothing to do with that? Or losing to Indy on a bogus holding call? It was just that one game?

You guys sure do think an awful lot of your influence over our franchise.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we were still able to reach the playoffs after losing to your team in December. It wasn't until Indy rolled over and played possum with the Broncos that our playoff hopes went up in smoke.
Old 06-02-2005   #20
SicilianJag
Rookie

My take is that Houston absolutely has not been considered a big rivalry in the past because we already had several established rivals. But after sweeping us last year and keeping us from the playoffs, the rivalry is developing quickly. I already see the hate showing up on our MB. I think the fan base for both teams would agree that they look to be the future powerhouses in the division. That will develop into a rivalry if they continue to butt heads for a few years.

Saying our team choked in the final game last year isn't any brilliant insight. It seems kind of obvious and we're glad it's behind us. Basically, while both teams made strides last year, neither accomplished anything they want to rest upon. If both teams go 10 - 6 this year and one sweeps the other, then there are some bragging rights.

Saying the Jags fans choked, and the team is poised to be moved, is just ridiculous. For the small market team that we are, and all the publicity about our lack of attendance, most don't realize that we ranked 14th in the league in attendance during 2004. More than Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago ...

I would think that Oakland and New Orleans are more realistic possibilities for LA.
SicilianJag is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read